• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamers who did not finish White Knight Chronicles cannot play the sequel - wut?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I didn't finish WKC because it became worse and worse as it got closer to the end. I honestly don't even want to play the sequel, and this really doesn't change my mind.

Baron Aloha said:
So if Nintendo releases "New Super Mario Bros Plus"...which is just the original game with 8 new worlds tacked onto the end they should let people skip all of the worlds from the first game?

okay now I see that you are executing an elaborate and impressive troll attempt in this thread

kudos good sir

"New Super Mario Bros Plus" with eight new worlds! truly a fine jest, you jocular jackanapes

I think this is awesome :lol

still haven't bought WKC1 though, after they announced that the first game will be in the sequel (and updated etc.) I kinda want to wait for it, but on the other hand it took the first game 14 months to get a western/english version...

Chris R

It was released world wide, but didn't do so well. Which makes the uproar this thread contains funny, as I'm guessing a majority of the people complaining about it haven't played the game.

I'm not saying that Level 5 is right in doing this though.

I don't mind this personally because it's the way that I'd play it anyway. But the fact that they're not even giving people a choice is horrible.

Sword Familiar said:
No, I'm not. I'm implying that MOST people PROBABLY keep their save files. Ok? Most people. Not all, but most. Enough for it not generating any significant losses in sales because of this particular problem.

so basically it's fine to flush dollar bills down the toilet

I mean

you're not flushing TWENTIES right

Sword Familiar said:
This is a direct sequel we're talking about though.

It's a Level 5 sequel.

If it's anything like Dark Cloud 2, it might actually make a lousy game into something moderately enjoyable. :lol

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I like how the director says that people should replay it anyway since they changed some of the gameplay systems.

Darklord

Banned
Oh my god. Imagine is you played it but somehow lost the save? Shiiiiiit.:lol

I can understand if the sequel plays directly after the original or something but forcing them to play it? That's so stupid and reeks of arrogant lead developer.

Foffy

Banned
It seems like an interesting idea; it's like two games in one, and it doesn't really alienate people interested in the new game who didn't purchase the previous game. That's something sequels tend to do sometimes.

But to outright lock the sequel? Not even Fire Emblem 3 did that.

dramatis

Huh. Well, I'm kind of glad I didn't play the first one yet. I was planning on playing it in the second one, so I guess I'm lucky! :lol

Except for the part where WKC2 won't leave Japan until winter 2011 of course.

charlequin said:
It's a Level 5 sequel.

If it's anything like Dark Cloud 2, it might actually make a lousy game into something moderately enjoyable.

I won't put much stock in "Level 5 sequel", because I can't remember them doing a sequel to anything except DC and Professor Layton (although arguably also DQ).

Extra bad for me because the first game I played made by them was DC2, and I'm pretty sure that's still the best RPG they've designed and developed thus far.

Kagari said:
I like how the director says that people should replay it anyway since they changed some of the gameplay systems.
If the gameplay systems really are that different then I'd say it's a good idea because vanilla WKC wasn't very hard or engaging at all.

That said, it's a weird decision, for sure...

WinFonda

I quit WKC about half way through with a rental because the combat was terrible. If the combat system is improved to my liking, then I definitely won't mind replaying. I'd only mind replaying if it remained boring and if that's the case then forget playing either of the games at all.

But there's basically 2 camps with all this, you either beat the first game or you didn't. And if you didn't, you either never started playing or you're like me and quit somewhere along the line. So I'm not sure I understand the anger. I'd have sooner started a new game than load a 2+ year old save and be lost, anyway.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
charlequin said:
so basically it's fine to flush dollar bills down the toilet

I mean

you're not flushing TWENTIES right

One dollar here and there won't make a big difference in the long run, is what I'm saying. I don't think broken hard drives will be the difference between break even and total failure, is what I'm saying. If it bombs, it'll bomb anyway.

It's a Level 5 sequel.

If it's anything like Dark Cloud 2, it might actually make a lousy game into something moderately enjoyable. :lol

We can only hope as much. :lol Considering the revamped WKC1 will allegedly have a system similar to WKC2, won't that automatically make WKC worth another playthrough though? Not implying the whole mandatory save file is a good idea. Just saying.

JudgeN

Lance Bone Path said:
The formula for bundling a sequel tacked to an older game with slightly reworked mechanics where old save games could be directly imported worked out okay with monster hunter portable 2nd g/freedom unite. :p

True, MHFU doesn't give a default character and put it right at G rank quests if you lose your MHF2 save. Of course with MH you can import your save from any point during the game, something I would hope Level 5 would patch in for the NA release of WKC2. Hell my save right now is about 50% through second playthrough aka speed run for guild rank 7-8 gear.

WillyFive

Wormdundee said:
WHY IS THERE DISCUSSION ON THIS.

Even people arguing that this is not a 'bad' thing have admitted to the following

1) There is no positive to this system
2) There is at least some negative

What else is there to talk about here. If there is no positive, but some negative, I think it's pretty fucking easy to say that overall it is a dumb thing to do. That's all there is to it.

There is a positive. A very big one.

You can now play the first game too.

Although you could argue this is not a positive due to the game in question, if applied to other games, it would be a positive.

The new game comes with the old bundled, so you don't have to buy the first one separately, and it allows the story to be more complex without having to tell the player everything that happened in the previous installment.

So if true i get 2 games for the price of one? Great (since i haven't played the first one yet)

sucks for those who couldn't finish the first game though

Gravijah

Willy105 said:

Although you could argue this is not a positive due to the game in question, if applied to other games, it would be a positive.

The new game comes with the old bundled, so you don't have to buy the first one separately, and it allows the story to be more complex without having to tell the player everything that happened in the previous installment.

Except that positive would still be there, even if they removed the "MUST PLAY WKC1" restriction.

panda21

Willy105 said:

(almost) valid points, but even if the story really needs you to have finished the first to play the second, the only two scenarios are:

Not played it before - unless you are an idiot who starts reading books from the middle, you would start with the first one. YOU DON'T NEED TO BE FORCED TO DO THIS

Played it before - start playing the second one. UNLESS YOU DONT HAVE YOUR SAVE, IN WHICH CASE YOU ARE FUCKED.

its stupid.

WillyFive

Gravijah said:
Except that positive would still be there, even if they removed the "MUST PLAY WKC1" restriction.

But then what if they never play the first one? The experience of the second one would not be optimal if the game expects the player to already know the first game.

Gravijah

Willy105 said:
But then what if they never play the first one? The experience of the second one would not be optimal if the game expects the player to already know the first game.

What if they played the first game already, but don't have access to the save file? The negatives outweigh any gain.

Bizarre. You'd think that if Level 5 has the clout with Sony to get something like this past certification, they would have had the clout with Sony to take as much time and money as they needed to get the first game right the first time.

Gravijah

LaneDS said:
No way this actually happens, unless Level 5 hates money or something. Which I'm fairly sure they do not.

WELL THEIR GAMES PROVE OTHERWISE RIGHT LAWL CAUSE THEY SUCK AMIRITE?

I really don't have a problem with this. Of course I DO have a completed save and I don't even know if I'm interested in a sequel after the first, but I think this is fine. Who the heck are these people that might play the 2nd game and never played the first? I can understand not having the save file anymore, but this isn't like skipping a final fantasy game, it's a direct story sequel.

I don't have an issue with the decision but I don't see a reason to restrict the player's choice either. Who knows, some wierdos might want to play the sequel without any clue of the story.

BlueWord

I guess, on the one hand, this is sort of cool for those people who didn't play the first one. You get a two-for-one, and Level 5 gets a shot at redeeming themselves for releasing half a game.

On the other, they released half a game, sold it for full price, and now want those same people to pay full price for the second half.

Honestly, I could care less about the save game thing, since I doubt anyone would want to play the second without playing the first.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
thetrin said:
I didn't finish WKC because it became worse and worse as it got closer to the end. I honestly don't even want to play the sequel, and this really doesn't change my mind.
Pretty much my thoughts exactly.

MrDenny

So basically I can wait to buy the sequel, and I'll get both games?
Sweet deal.

I still think this game looks ugly compared to the first trailer though :(

My friend and I put like 200 hours on this in a few weeks, I think we liked it more than
FF13 for sure. Its wierd they don't just do a story recap though...it was only 20ish hours if I'm remembering right. Anyways we'll be buying day 1!!

Corto

If it was a good game I would delete my clear save game just to enjoy WKC again. As it is, this just puts me away from playing WKC 2.

Imm0rt4l

This seems really stupid, but I don't really care as I didn't even play the first game anyways so if I do decide to play it later I guess it'll be 2 for 1.

nyong

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
That's weird.

Pretty much this. I don't necessarily have a problem with it, mostly because they first game comes packaged with it. Hopefully there is a good reason for this.

duckroll said:
C1. You played the original game and beat it. You had to change HDDs, or you console broke, or you sold the game and deleted the saves.
C2. The sequel is out, and now you can't play it unless you play through the entire original game again, and you don't want to invest time into that, so you decide to skip the sequel entirely.

D1. You didn't really care for the first game. The story didn't hold your attention, and the areas weren't interesting. You read up on the rest of the story and found out that nothing really happens for the rest of the game anyway.
D2. You hear the sequel is better, and will actually have major events that tie up the story and end it. It looks cool, and the gameplay improvements seem pretty neat. But you have to play through stuff you don't care for to get to that and you don't want to. So you skip it.

See how this is an awful business decision?
I am group D
I will not buy WKC2.

Alex

Wow, that is just a ridiculously pretentious, asinine idea for ANY game but for a game that is riding on the hopes and dreams of the sequel being a large leap above the original in filling out it's premise and mechanics? That's just hilarity.

Level-5 hasn't put out a game to my tastes since Dark Cloud 2 though, so no exactly seeing any real loss currently. The idea of them churning out a sequel so good that I want to play through the entirety of the mess called White Knight Chronicles to get to it is about as fleeting as can be.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
ChackanKun said:
Ok, will there be any more WKC games? If so, might as well wait for WKC4 that inclues 1,2 and 3 lol

First timer though.

The second game will be the conclusion, they say.

Top Bottom