• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamers who did not finish White Knight Chronicles cannot play the sequel - wut?

duckroll

FunkyPajamas said:
I just read the article and maybe I'm being dense here... but... aren't they basically giving us "two" games for the price of one and somehow you guys are complaining?

This is the way I see it, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

A1. You've already played and beat the first game.
A2. You start in the "middle" of the new disc (beginning of the second game, halfway through the adventure). Nothing to see here.

B1. You have not completed (or played) the first game.
B2. They're giving you the full first game, enhanced, included with the second game so that you can (ok, ok, WILL HAVE TO) play through it all before you start game two.

I kind of see where the rage is coming from, but if you've completed your playthrough of the first game, I don't really see the issue. Again, it seems to me like they're giving people two games for the price of one.

C1. You played the original game and beat it. You had to change HDDs, or you console broke, or you sold the game and deleted the saves.
C2. The sequel is out, and now you can't play it unless you play through the entire original game again, and you don't want to invest time into that, so you decide to skip the sequel entirely.

D1. You didn't really care for the first game. The story didn't hold your attention, and the areas weren't interesting. You read up on the rest of the story and found out that nothing really happens for the rest of the game anyway.
D2. You hear the sequel is better, and will actually have major events that tie up the story and end it. It looks cool, and the gameplay improvements seem pretty neat. But you have to play through stuff you don't care for to get to that and you don't want to. So you skip it.

See how this is an awful business decision?

FunkyPajamas said:
I just read the article and maybe I'm being dense here... but... aren't they basically giving us "two" games for the price of one and somehow you guys are complaining?

I am sure a moment's calm, serene contemplation of the matter will ultimately reveal why displeasure is expressed at the approach described in the OP.

jergrah

This opens up the opportunity for DLC -- Download a complete game save of the first title and jump right into the sequel, only $10 -- but act now, supplies are limited!

WanderingWind said:
Seriously, who the hell came up with that idea? Or the idea to allow beards on a character that otherwise looked 12 years old?
:lol :lol

fuck. I was never able to put a finger on it but that's why my character looked so damn weird.

Gravijah

WanderingWind said:
Seriously, who the hell came up with that idea? Or the idea to allow beards on a character that otherwise looked 12 years old?

Hey, I had a beard around that age. :(

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Bad_Boy said:
honestly i wish movies could do this. i hate going to the theaters to a sequel with someone who hasnt seen the first/previous one. :lol

Well, I watched Sex and the City 2 without knowing anything about S&C. :p

Anyway, I never did play the game so I guess it's good for me for a two-in-one game?

You guys are making it sound like WKC sucks, but it was on the list of games I wanted to play. Obviously, if this is true, I'd just skip it and get WKC2, but should I even do that? What sucked about the battle system?

Vinci said:
The part where they're forcing a user to do anything is pretty questionable.
I don't want to start anything here, and -believe me- I agree with you in regards to "forcing", but as we have said countless times: vote with your wallet. For some people this might sound like a sweet deal, for some maybe not so -and again, honestly, I hadn't even thought about people deleting/losing the savefiles-; and that's where choice comes in. Just skip this game if the deal doesn't appeal to you, and if enough people skip the game, then maybe F5 will release some sort of patch to allow people to just start right at the beginning of the second game.

For a price :lol
[edit]

duckroll said:
charlequin said:
some more text
Yeah, I guess it makes sense when you put it that way. I honestly hadn't considered the "lost your save" angle. I haven't played the game, (precisely because I haven't read good things about it from my fellow gaffers) but am kind of interested in checking the sequel, so the news seemed good to me at the time.

Well, I hope they reconsider this and make it an option for you guys.

if true then thats pretty damn ballsy. i like ballsy. im more interested in WKC now than ever. probably not going to play it or the sequel though (see what i did here). the game seems to lack balls in the actual design. looks like such a boring typical JRPG.

MechaX

onken said:
I'm sorry I really don't see the problem, you either want to follow the story or not.

Brave move though, good for them.

So what about the people that already completed the original WKC and deleted their saves/had their system replaced/memory got corrupted/got a Slim/etc? Should they be forced to replay through the story in order to experience the sequel when they don't want to and really shouldn't be forced to in the first place?

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
duckroll said:
C1. You played the original game and beat it. You had to change HDDs, or you console broke, or you sold the game and deleted the saves.
C2. The sequel is out, and now you can't play it unless you play through the entire original game again, and you don't want to invest time into that, so you decide to skip the sequel entirely.

This is probably not a big problem. I think most people keep their save files and, again, most people won't have faulty HDDs deleting their files. Probably.

Sword Familiar said:
This is probably not a big problem. I think most people keep their save files and, again, most people won't have faulty HDDs deleting their files. Probably.
:p you just want a tag quote, don't you?
Sword Familiar said:
Why would that be related to my tag?
"most people", "probably" and "statistics".

Gravijah

Sword Familiar said:

I think fucking over people, no matter how small a percentage, with such stupid bullshit like this is a problem. Honestly, it's as easy as... just letting people fucking play the game.

Sword Familiar

FunkyPajamas said:
:p you just want a tag quote, don't you?

Why would that be related to my tag? If I had used a percentage, then sure. But sure. I'm not entitled to an opinion. I have a negative tag.

Gravijah said:
I think fucking over people, no matter how small a percentage, with such stupid bullshit like this is a problem. Honestly, it's as easy as... just letting people fucking play the game.

Yes, but that wasn't my point.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Lol, what a decision. They took the concept of unskippable to the next level.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
ULTROS! said:
Well, I watched Sex and the City 2 without knowing anything about S&C. :p

Anyway, I never did play the game so I guess it's good for me for a two-in-one game?
well i suppose with some movies it would be ok. i dont know shit about sex and the city. and horror movies it works all the time.

but say going to see matrix reloaded with someone who hasnt seen the matrix. ...smh

_dementia said:
why does that bother you?

duckroll said:
Probably because he has to talk to them. :lol

this.

well...the lack of talking kinda bugs me. i basically have to ruin the movie to someone, and even if theyre ok with it...it doesnt do it justice.

Gravijah

ViolentP said:
So crazy it's genius.

No, so crazy it's fucking stupid.

Bad_Boy said:
well...the lack of talking kinda bugs me. i basically have to ruin the movie to someone, and even if theyre ok with it...it doesnt do it justice.

Thankfully this is just a game about a giant fucking mecha knight. You don't have to worry about the "integrity" of the originals story, and you don't have to worry about doing it justice.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i dont know what to think about this...id say its a good idea, and anyone whos finished the first game should still have their save file...right? At least from a value standpoint, someone like me would think "hey i get to play the first game now too"

even the .hack games, which were direct sequels to one another, it was optional to have a game save or not (it was way better to have one). but it would be a terrible idea to start from the 2nd or 3rd game cause you wouldnt understand wtf was going on

Zalasta

Interesting if true. I can see the point of this for a heavily serialized project. One that came to mind would be Shenmue. It's not that far fetched to compare this to something like Lost, which you would not recommend someone to just start watching season 3 without having seen the beginning. I doubt it'll be a popular idea for video games though.

Chris R

I can see why people are angry about this, but since I have a complete save file it doesn't really matter to me. I mean ideally they would offer you the chance to play "part 1" before the new stuff with the enhanced engine, or let you watch a ~10 minuet movie that brings you up to speed.

Sound like a very stupid idea, I hope it's a mistake.

How long was the first game? RPG tend to be boring after 20-30 hours, so if you have to play two RPG in a row, each one lasting 50 hours or more, it's just crazy:lol

Sword Familiar

Gravijah said:
Honestly, this just shouldn't even be done. There are a grand total of 0 positive things that can happen from them doing this.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a terrible idea. I just don't think that many people will have problems with their HDDs. It was a bad example.

Jones

Neo Member
The only way this makes any sense at all would be if the second game is just an expansion and you would need the levels/abilities/gear from the first game to be able to advance. That said I have no idea if there is a leveling system in WKC or not.

Barakov said:
I guess Level 5 really wants people to experience their story.

The Princess is in another castle.
The Princess is in another castle.
The Princess is in yet another castle.
OMG you are 10,000 years old.

WKC1 in a nutshell.

davepoobond said:
i dont know what to think about this...id say its a good idea, and anyone whos finished the first game should still have their save file...right? At least from a value standpoint, someone like me would think "hey i get to play the first game now too"

even the .hack games, which were direct sequels to one another, it was optional to have a game save or not (it was way better to have one).
Yeah but I didn't have to have a save from .hack Part 1 to play .hack part 2. This beyond stupid, I don't see how anyone could think this is ok or defend it. This self indulgent and stupid. The point of a sequel is to get even more people to buy your game, not turn off people. Level 5 continues to be the worst "high profile" jrpg developer.

JudgeN

RockmanWhore said:
Sound like a very stupid idea, I hope it's a mistake.

How long was the first game? RPG tend to be boring after 20-30 hours, so if you have to play two RPG in a row, each one lasting 50 hours or more, it's just crazy:lol

First game is really short, you can get past it NP in about 10 hours if you don't explorer the lands.

Rahxephon91 said:
Yeah but I didn't have to have a save from .hack Part 1 to play .hack part 2. This beyond stupid, I don't see how anyone could think this is ok or defend it. This self indulgent and stupid. The point of a sequel is to get even more people to buy your game, not turn off people. Level 5 continues to be the worst "high profile" jrpg developer.

.hack part 2 didn't include .hack part1 on the same disk though. It is an odd situation indeed, hell has this ever been done before in gaming? Where they give you the whole first game on the same disk as the sequel?
Most developers tend to make complete games from the jump off :lol

This will clearly sell more copies of the game to people who were on the fence with the series before but are interested in the sequel.

Wait, which way does logic work again?

On a serious note, I almost never recommend that people play preceding games first if a sequel is out, unless they are extremely dedicated to video games or have an incredible amount of free time. The perspective gained can usually be supplied by spending 15 minutes carefully reading a wiki entry.

duckroll

Sword Familiar said:
Don't get me wrong, I think it's a terrible idea. I just don't think that many people will have problems with their HDDs. It was a bad example.

It's not a bad example. I was listing various reasons why someone would NOT have the clear save of a game he has beaten. Keep in mind that not everyone keeps save files for everything, and not everyone backs up data before changing a HDD for the PS3. I don't see how it's a bad example when it actually happens in reality. I'm not saying there is even a huge amount of people who would be in this situation. I wouldn't know how many who played the original and beat it, still have their saves. You don't either.

Le-mo

Not a problem for me since I finished the first game and loved it. Much better than Final Fantasy XIII imo.

thefil

MegaKungFuRadio said:
This will clearly sell more copies of the game to people who were on the fence with the series before but are interested in the sequel.

Absolutely, yes. As someone who never played the first game, this *does* make me more interest, especially because the included first game now uses mechanics from the second.

If anything, this is great for new people and terrible only for people who played the first and deleted save files.

*edit* The terribleness *is* terrible though, they should let you start from part 2 regardless of save.

Top Bottom