• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that take advantage of New 3DS' enhanced processing power

FaintDeftone

The fact they put this much effort into upgrading MonHun4 makes me want to buy the game now when previously I had middling interest.

Yeah, I'm kind of in the same boat.

However, I did enjoy what I played of MH3U but playing it solo made me quit not too long after I started. Now that this has online play, I may dig into it more.

ChrisD

Welp. Now I really want one. Too bad no account system all but ensures that won't happen for a long while. Don't have the cash to blow on a fully-priced system along with my 3DS XL.

You hear me, Nintendo? More sales with an account system in place!

Welp. Now I really want one. Too bad no account system all but ensures that won't happen for a long while. Don't have the cash to blow on a fully-priced system along with my 3DS XL.

There is an account system.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Wow, the difference is actually kind of shocking when you aren't expecting to see much. This is exactly the path that Nintendo needs to go down as far as handheld system releases go. If they follow the rumored "common OS/Architecture" strategy going forward, they can regularly and gradually update both their handhelds and home consoles in this manner while retaining the ability to play the same games across these new, shorter "generations" at different graphical fidelities. It's a win/win really.

samn

I can't see it happening. It would make it too easy to share an account with a friend's 3DS and split the cost of getting multiple copies of games. I know I'd do this if it were possible.

On PS/Xbox/Steam you have the disincentive of not being able to play online when someone else is using your account. But online play on a 3DS is likely a far smaller % of overall gaming time.

sörine

Banned
We've had confirmation from developers that the CPU specs in the OP are wrong. The ARM chip likely also had a speed increase.

Veal

sörine;152461301 said:
We've had confirmation from developers that the CPU specs in the OP are wrong. The ARM chip likely also had a speed increase.
I hope we find out what inside one day. And that it'll be strong enough to maybe enable more types of systems on the VC (among other things).

Ac30

sörine;152461301 said:

The ARM chip handling BC? And did they drop any hints about what changed in terms of the ARMv11?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
The ARM chip handling BC? And did they drop any hints about what changed in terms of the ARMv11?
ARM11, sans the 'v'. In ARM terms ARMv# is the ISA, and ARM# is a chip model. ARM11 chip is of the ARMv6 ISA.

On the question: they surely continue to be ARM11, or else things would break - they have to be clock-per-clock compatible with the old CPU when clocked at the old clock. Other than that, they may be 4 now, or have higher clock when not in compatibility mode, or both. The homebrewers at 3dbrew.org are of the opinion they are 4x ARM11 @ 268MHz. Now, they can be wrong about the clock, but there's no chance they could've got the cpu count wrong.

nikatapi

I hope Nintendo chooses a nice CPU for their next handheld, since you can see how it limited the 3DS.

Yeah, let's hope they get to use a modern CPU, since there have been large imporvements in mobile technology. Now that they know they want a complete OS for the system, a good CPU and enough ram is mandatory for the handheld to have acceptable speed. Although taking both the 3DS and WiiU as an example, i'm not very hopeful.

Dizzy

Banned
I can't believe Majora's Mask doesnt use the extra power. I haven't tried it on the old 3DS but the game looks amazing for a 3DS game.

ARM11, sans the 'v'. In ARM terms ARMv# is the ISA, and ARM# is a chip model. ARM11 chip is of the ARMv6 ISA.

On the question: they surely continue to be ARM11, or else things would break - they have to be clock-per-clock compatible with the old CPU when clocked at the old clock. Other than that, they may be 4 now, or have higher clock when not in compatibility mode, or both. The homebrewers at 3dbrew.org are of the opinion they are 4x ARM11 @ 268MHz. Now, they you can be wrong about the clock, but there's no chance they could've got the cpu count wrong.

Mmm hmm.

Speaking of the CPU within the New 3DS, I think one developer actually said something to the lines of "nope" when it came to the possible CPU spec. Makes me think that at least one part of the CPU detail as listed is at least not quite right.

I came here expecting a list of games that flew under my radar in terms of boosts, but nope, only got one.

Here's hoping Nintendo announces a bevy of exclusives to justify the upgrade.

I came here expecting a list of games that flew under my radar in terms of boosts, but nope, only got one.

Here's hoping Nintendo announces a bevy of exclusives to justify the upgrade.

I'm still kind of on the wait-and-see list. My 3DS XL is starting to act odd at times with the touchscreen, though, and I hope it doesn't recur.

I kind of don't want to buy a New 3DS XL right now since, well, nothing I play needs it yet. If 3DS XL ends up getting exclusive games that I want to play, well, that's probably when I'll bite.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if games that performed poorly, like Rayman Origins or Metal Gear Solid 3, would be "fixed" by using an n3DS.

Veal

I'm still kind of on the wait-and-see list. My 3DS XL is starting to act odd at times with the touchscreen, though, and I hope it doesn't recur.

I kind of don't want to buy a New 3DS XL right now since, well, nothing I play needs it yet. If 3DS XL ends up getting exclusive games that I want to play, well, that's probably when I'll bite.
If you use the 3D, everything you play needs the New 3DS. It's seriously that much improved.

If you use the 3D, everything you play needs the New 3DS. It's seriously that much improved.

This times 1 bazillion.

I hated the 3d feature of the 3ds. But the super duper awesome hamsters that power the head tracking 3d feature of the New 3ds are amazeballs.

Seeing as I pretty much never use the 3D function on my 3DS XL, I think I'll probably have to take it out for a spin. The super-stable 3D is really effective, right? I wear glasses, though.

Is it really that much better? I could be misinformed, but as far as I know, it merely has a wider viewing angle. I'm not sure if that's a substantial change for me given how I never had any problems staying in the sweet spot of my regular 3DS.

Exuro

Is it really that much better? I could be misinformed, but as far as I know, it merely has a wider viewing angle. I'm not sure if that's a substantial change for me given how I never had any problems staying in the sweet spot of my regular 3DS.
It's more than that. It has face tracking(in xyz coords) and adjusts the 3d to your face based on where it is. It's a lot better than on the original as small movements won't cause the image to flip out but if you move your head quickly you can still screw it up like on the original.

My issue is I can still see a double image from time to time.

TheMoon

I wonder if games that performed poorly, like Rayman Origins or Metal Gear Solid 3, would be "fixed" by using an n3DS.

Among the very first things they stated during the reveal was how existing titles would not magically benefit from the stronger hardware. Which is quite obvious because dedicated gaming systems are not PCs.

Veal

Seeing as I pretty much never use the 3D function on my 3DS XL, I think I'll probably have to take it out for a spin. The super-stable 3D is really effective, right? I wear glasses, though.
Super effective even. Definitely try it out!

It is that much better. The image is so rock solid and you don't get punished for moving too much. You think you don't have a problem...until you try it out for yourself.

Time for Sakurai to get off his lazy ass and code in some analog controls for Kid Icarus. And yeah, yeah, vocal fanbase, I know you think "OOOOHH it just won't be the SAME!" This game is too good for those horrid controls. That was a worse decision than slipping in Brawl.

Rootbeer

Banned
Loving those MH4U comparision shots. That along with Xenoblade 3DS more than justifies the upgrade for me... though hell, I'm such a fan of Nintendo handhelds that I'd have settled for the faster loading throughout the OS and the C-stick. Doesn't take much for me to upgrade.

But wow, what an upgrade it is.

More people need to jump into the 3DS ecosystem. The time is now.

TheMoon

Time for Sakurai to get off his lazy ass and code in some analog controls for Kid Icarus. And yeah, yeah, vocal fanbase, I know you think "OOOOHH it just won't be the SAME!" This game is too good for those horrid controls. That was a worse decision than slipping in Brawl.

I don't think you understand the thinking behind it. You will get WRECKED on higher difficulties if you're not using the infinitely more flexible and precise stylus aiming. That will make the game unplayable. Hence why no analog option exists.

Tom_Cody

Ugh, this shit again...

jorgejjvr

Question. So just SIMPLY putting my physical copy of MH4 on my new 3ds instead of my old one makes it look this much better? That's it? i dont have to download something? Seems unreal, but great if true!

atbigelow

Question. So just SIMPLY putting my physical copy of MH4 on my new 3ds instead of my old one makes it look this much better? That's it? i dont have to download something? Seems unreal, but great if true!

It's true. They include all the assets regardless of which version.

EDIT: Imagine you are changing your PC game's texture quality from Low to Medium. The game already includes both.

Top Bottom