• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that take advantage of New 3DS' enhanced processing power

KC-Slater

Time for Sakurai to get off his lazy ass and code in some analog controls for Kid Icarus. And yeah, yeah, vocal fanbase, I know you think "OOOOHH it just won't be the SAME!" This game is too good for those horrid controls. That was a worse decision than slipping in Brawl.

Nonsense. The gameplay would have to be slowed down a lot if aiming was done by a second analog stick. It´s not a slow-paced FPS where you can simply implement a semi-auto-aim to compensate the deficiencies of an analog-stick. You need to be able to go from one side of the screen to the other side in no time and in the same time also beeing able to adjust the aim for small distances. This is something that is possible with the touchpen-control scheme, a PC-mouse and a Wii-Mote but isn´t really feasible with an analog stick. About laziness, it´s quite ironic that such comments are made by people who are simply too lazy to learn a new and therefore unfamilar control scheme that needs a little practice to get used to.

I would assume that the original poster was being factious when he called Sakurai lazy, as this is notoriously not the case...

Considering that Kid Icarus: Uprising is sold digitally in the eShop (without the physical stand it was originally bundled with) and the fact that Sakurai has explained that dual analogue-support was not included due to technical limitations of the (vanilla) 3DS-hardware and not a creative decision, that patching the game to add support accordingly for the New 3DS XL would be something to consider.

aka_bueno

So I'm playing on my n3DS right now, and switching the 3D on and off on it seems to replicate the differences Sweden between MH4U on 3DS vs n3DS.

Are we sure that those differences are not just the result of images captured with 3d on vs. those with it off?

Turning on 3D turns off the AA. Many AA methods (FXAA for example) these days soften the image ever so slightly while also getting rid of jaggies. That's probaby what you're noticing.

But no, that's not the difference shown. The New 3DS simply allows much higher LOD for the textures (and shadows in most areas.) It's a huge difference.

sörine

Banned
Speaking of n3DS specs I just noticed this ifixit teardown. Can we glean anything extra off it?

Chips list:
Nintendo 1446 17 CPU LGR A (custom CPU, likely based on an ARM core)
Atheros AR6014G-AL1C Wi-Fi SOC
Samsung KLM4G1YEMD-B031 4 GB NAND Flash
Fujitsu 82MK9A9A 7LFCRAM 1445 962 FCRAM
Texas Instruments 93045A4 49AF3NW G2 (Possibly Power Management IC)
Renesas Electronics UC KTR 442KM13 TK14
Texas Instruments AIC3010D 48C01JW (Possibly Codec IC)
NXP S750 1603 TSD438C Infrared IC
Texas Instruments PH416A I/O Expander

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
sörine;152927885 said:
Speaking of n3DS specs I just noticed this ifixit teardown. Can we glean anything extra off it?

Chips list:
Atheros AR6014G-AL1C Wi-Fi SOC
Samsung KLM4G1YEMD-B031 4 GB NAND Flash
Fujitsu 82MK9A9A 7LFCRAM 1445 962 FCRAM
Texas Instruments 93045A4 49AF3NW G2 (Possibly Power Management IC)
Renesas Electronics UC KTR 442KM13 TK14
Texas Instruments AIC3010D 48C01JW (Possibly Codec IC)
NXP S750 1603 TSD438C Infrared IC
Texas Instruments PH416A I/O Expander
And the full story - I've been waiting for that for a while!
https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nintendo+3DS+XL+2015+Teardown/36346

/strokes chin

Corgi

Banned
But it feels so much better, like a proper action-adventure game. It's a small but significant change.

You could also use the Circle Pad Pro accessory on the old 3DS to get the same functionality, though.

dont' know. the sensitivity is way too low so I naturally try to push that nub harder which hurts my thumb.

end up centering the camera with L for the most part.

I guess we can add Stretchmo/Fullblox to the list -- a game internally targeted by Intelligent Systems, given its more ambitious puzzles and more detailed backgrounds.

The Pinball Arcade is also coming exclusively to New 3DS.

Those aside, are there any other big games which take advantage of N3DS features? I heard The Legend of Legacy has better load times, is there anything else? I seem to remember Poisoft's Splash or Crash 2 also promising N3DS enhancements?

Somnid

I guess we can add Stretchmo/Fullblox to the list -- a game internally targeted by Intelligent Systems, given its more ambitious puzzles and more detailed backgrounds.

The Pinball Arcade is also coming exclusively to New 3DS.

Those aside, are there any other big games which take advantage of N3DS features? I heard The Legend of Legacy has better load times, is there anything else? I seem to remember Poisoft's Splash or Crash 2 also promising N3DS enhancements?

Codename STEAM has faster fast-forward on enemy turns. Binding of Isaac will be n3DS exclusive.

I don't think so, though I suspect Federation Force is a likely bet.

Monster Hunter Stories and Monster Hunter X must be enhanced given Monster Hunter 4U's improvements via the MT Framework Mobile engine, I wonder if the new Ace Attorney is too?

Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX is New 3DS enhanced. There's 2x antialiasing in 3D mode. On regular 3DS there's only antialiasing if you switch off the 3D.

Edit: only in My Room mode, not in songs.

Load times are also shorter.

Top Bottom