• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that take advantage of New 3DS' enhanced processing power

samn

Seems like a lot of footage for MM:3D on the n3DS was running at 60 fps. could just be me though.

I believe on Youtube it either had frame doubling or some kind of interpolation. So while the video was 60fps it was displaying a game outputting 30fps at most. Gave me false hope.

WatTsu

I fired up Code of Princess and noticed that the slowdown was nowhere near as bad on the New 3DS as it was the original. Could be imagining things but it sure seemed smoother.

(The Snake Eater 3D demo was pretty bad, still.)

Rnr1224

I believe on Youtube it either had frame doubling or some kind of interpolation. So while the video was 60fps it was displaying a game outputting 30fps at most. Gave me false hope.

Yeah thats where I noticed it. Damn then, nvm!

Astral Dog

It looks like a huge difference on these MH 4 screens, but i wonder how noticeable it really is to improve texture quality at such a low resolution, especially considering its a new 3DS XL here.

Darius

Banned
Time for Sakurai to get off his lazy ass and code in some analog controls for Kid Icarus. And yeah, yeah, vocal fanbase, I know you think "OOOOHH it just won't be the SAME!" This game is too good for those horrid controls. That was a worse decision than slipping in Brawl.

Nonsense. The gameplay would have to be slowed down a lot if aiming was done by a second analog stick. It´s not a slow-paced FPS where you can simply implement a semi-auto-aim to compensate the deficiencies of an analog-stick. You need to be able to go from one side of the screen to the other side in no time and in the same time also beeing able to adjust the aim for small distances. This is something that is possible with the touchpen-control scheme, a PC-mouse and a Wii-Mote but isn´t really feasible with an analog stick. About laziness, it´s quite ironic that such comments are made by people who are simply too lazy to learn a new and therefore unfamilar control scheme that needs a little practice to get used to.

18-Volt

More people need to jump into the 3DS ecosystem. The time is now.

Exactly. Now with the c-stick western developers have no excuse not to make FPS games for 3DS. Plus, 3DS has huge install base of 35 million, so nothing can go wrong. I want some high speed shooting action on my New 3DS!

jorgejjvr

Exactly. Now with the c-stick western developers have no excuse not to make FPS games for 3DS. Plus, 3DS has huge install base of 35 million, so nothing can go wrong. I want some high speed shooting action on my New 3DS!

Ironfall?

Edit: nvm you said FPS

but regardless, I wonder if this game is good

Who

Banned

The 3DS already has active online communities in Smash, Mario Kart, Pokemon, and Monster Hunter. If there was a decent, dare-I-say fun, online FPS game released that could provide the same, the 3DS would truly be complete.

I think Timesplitters or a game akin to it would be a great fit for the system.

burgerdog

MM has massive frame drops with 3D on in termina field on n3DS. I'll give you guys the exact location once I'm out of work.

LordOfChaos

On the question: they surely continue to be ARM11, or else things would break - they have to be clock-per-clock compatible with the old CPU when clocked at the old clock. Other than that, they may be 4 now, or have higher clock when not in compatibility mode, or both. The homebrewers at 3dbrew.org are of the opinion they are 4x ARM11 @ 268MHz. Now, they can be wrong about the clock, but there's no chance they could've got the cpu count wrong.

I'd say it's highly unlikely, but I do have one doubt. They saw the initiation sequence for four cores, but I wonder if that could be
1) Simply displaying the max number of cores for ARM11 SMP, which is 4
or
2) The initiation sequence is counting the two VFPv2 Co-Processors.

Not that I think this is the case, but just throwing possibilities at the wall. If they got the clock speed right, then four cores seems very likely.

Can someone please go all "Secret Developers" on this? :p

Shaanyboi

Banned
There are plenty excuses to not do it. Development costs for a game style never popular on a handheld, and in turn the fear of not recouping the investment, the c-stick not being nearly reliable enough for it, the split userbase of those who have a new 3DS/CPPro and those that don't...

Soodanim

I'm still not sold on the idea of New 3DS. It's obviously a better system, but the cost of upgrading is far too high for the amount I use the system. And if we get games in future that are nerfed on the OG models, I'm going to be put off and less likely to buy them.

What I'm trying to say is that as an OG XL owner, I'm glad Majora's Mask doesn't have differences between 3DS versions.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I'd say it's highly unlikely, but I do have one doubt. They saw the initiation sequence for four cores, but I wonder if that could be
1) Simply displaying the max number of cores for ARM11 SMP, which is 4
or
2) The initiation sequence is counting the two VFPv2 Co-Processors.

Not that I think this is the case, but just throwing possibilities at the wall. If they got the clock speed right, then four cores seems very likely.

Can someone please go all "Secret Developers" on this? :p
The chance for #2 is practically nil - they would really have to have no clue what they were looking at to get confused by something like that. Setting up N CPUs requires distinctive work for those N CPUs (interrupt vectors, MMU tables, etc). Also, VFP coprocessors would be normally set up as part of the processor they belong to, as they share a fair deal of the pipeline of the corresponding CPU (e.g. instruction fetch and decode - basically the entire frontend).

K.Sabot

Just got my N3DS after playing 3 days of MH4 on the Regular old 3DS.

I must evangelize how much better it is, the frame rate difference feels HUGE and the game all around feels sharper.

Hope more games take advantage of this going forward.

Though on N3DS MH4, it feels like there is only 4 directions on the c-stick, is that the case for other games?

I fired up Code of Princess and noticed that the slowdown was nowhere near as bad on the New 3DS as it was the original. Could be imagining things but it sure seemed smoother.

(The Snake Eater 3D demo was pretty bad, still.)

Oooh I need to load that up, that game would be way better with a better framerate.

Berordn

Though on N3DS MH4, it feels like there is only 4 directions on the c-stick, is that the case for other games?

Think that's just the case for MH's camera control. If I go upper right/upper left it zooms in and moves left at the same time. It seems to be taking both, just not in the way I'd like.

TheMoon

You could've had a superior version of that with the stylus for 4 years now. The C-Stick isn't for shooters, it's for camera control.

HardRojo

That's a big difference in MonHun. I could do with a GBC situation to be honest, don't announce a new handheld till late 2016.

Myansie

The gyros are actually usable on the new 3ds thanks to the stable 3d. On the original tilting would ghost the image. In Majoras Mask if you hold the left trigger the camera locks behind Link, he goes into strafe mode, and you can look around with the gyros. On the n3ds I use this all the time. I point Link in the general direction I want to look and hold L. Tilting the console then lets me look around freely. It's much easier than even a mouse, although your viewing angle is restricted by the tilt in your wrists. It's really handy and some of the best motion controls around.

18-Volt

There are plenty excuses to not do it. Development costs for a game style never popular on a handheld, and in turn the fear of not recouping the investment, the c-stick not being nearly reliable enough for it, the split userbase of those who have a new 3DS/CPPro and those that don't...

We don't know if FPS genre is popular on 3DS because nobody has ever tried! Only past instance was Call of Duty games on DS. They must have been successful, Activision has released 4 sequels after the first one. I also don't think it would split the userbase, touch screen aiming can still be the thing.

You could've had a superior version of that with the stylus for 4 years now. The C-Stick isn't for shooters, it's for camera control.

Really? As a person who never got used to Dualshock analog aiming, I felt like c-stick might be the thing for me. I'm not sure though, I need to play IronFall to find out.

Jamix012

35 million? More like 50 million.

TheMoon

35 million? More like 50 million.

More like 1.5 million because we're talking about New 3DS here, not 3DS.

Really? As a person who never got used to Dualshock analog aiming, I felt like c-stick might be the thing for me. I'm not sure though, I need to play IronFall to find out.

Then why do you think the C-stick will be any better? It's inherently less precise than an actual analog stick.

Good thread. This was a topic on bombcast last week or the week before. I think they said there were a grand total of 2-3 games that ever took advantage of the DSi. Hopefully this won't be the case with the new 3ds
That sounds like the ballpark of the total number of DSi only games. Now DSi enhanced games didn't really do much except pointless feature for shitty camera, WPA wi-fi and last of all region locking (ulness you are US/EU Pokemon BW which are region free for some reason).

eerrr can the 3DS take screen shots? yet this were taken with a poor camera @.@

Or am I missing something?
You are missing two things:
-MH4 doesn't support Miiverse (ask Capcom why) and even if it did it wouldn't work on the old 3DS because MH4 uses extra RAM like SSB does making Miiverse not load.
-There is no direct feed capture device for New 3DS

I guess we could pray to Nintendo add a universal screenshots to SD card feature but no they want us to all have NNID and use Miiverse. No screenshots for the world at large...unless it is of the home screen :(

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
The texture upgrade in MH4U is fantastic. But people often overlook something even more important.

Smooth as butter framerate in MH4U with the new 3DS. My old XL was chugging when trying to run this game.

TheMoon

I thought we're talking about regular 3DS games which get graphical boost when played with New 3DS.

I was going off "I want high speed shooting action on my new 3ds, with c-stick devs have no excuse" = new 3DS only because c-stick. if you throw in the CPP then there has been no excuse since that came out already.

Those MH4U comparisons are much more noticeable than I would have thought. Not worth the $250 upgrade but good to know that if my XL ever bites the bullet there's actually a benefit outside the buttons.

I'm still not sold on the idea of New 3DS. It's obviously a better system, but the cost of upgrading is far too high for the amount I use the system. And if we get games in future that are nerfed on the OG models, I'm going to be put off and less likely to buy them.

What I'm trying to say is that as an OG XL owner, I'm glad Majora's Mask doesn't have differences between 3DS versions.
As a new 3ds owner I whole heartedly disagree. I hope the monster Hunter 4 is the standard going forward, and there are improvements to every game.

Normally I don't care about minor graphical differences but the textures in MH4U have really been bugging me. They aren't just super low-res in a bunch of places, there are two really obvious lines where the LOD on the textures kick in and it's just impossible not to see.

I really don't want to buy yet another 3DS but the prospect of playing dozens of hours with these lines bugging me almost makes it worth it.

Salsa

is it odd that this kinda puts me off buying MonHun4 since I dont plan on getting a New3Ds

im still gonna get it

Shaanyboi

Banned
We don't know if FPS genre is popular on 3DS because nobody has ever tried! Only past instance was Call of Duty games on DS. They must have been successful, Activision has released 4 sequels after the first one. I also don't think it would split the userbase, touch screen aiming can still be the thing.

Activision put out those CoD games, but those also cost nothing to produce. Already with the bump in hardware, the cost is inherently going to go up, and the handheld market is nowhere near as fruitful as it used to be.

I'm not saying one couldn't be moderately successful. RE:Revelations apparently did 'okay' on 3DS. But no one is going to invest in a game like that now, so late in the system's life.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Guys. The reason YouTube registers Majora as 60 FPS is because the inventory screen runs at 60. The main gameplay windows runs at 30

18-Volt

I was going off "I want high speed shooting action on my new 3ds, with c-stick devs have no excuse" = new 3DS only because c-stick. if you throw in the CPP then there has been no excuse since that came out already.

You're actually right, but you know developers. They complain about everything. I remember once a studio said that they were not porting their game to 3DS because its control input was not "enough" (I just can't remember which game it was). I'm saying that now New 3DS addresses many of those problems; more CPU, more ram, additional camera control, sufficient install base and non-shitty 3D, it should make those people stop complaining.

Activision put out those CoD games, but those also cost nothing to produce. Already with the bump in hardware, the cost is inherently going to go up, and the handheld market is nowhere near as fruitful as it used to be.

Maybe it is, we can't know it for sure, because nobody has ever tried. Ubisoft has cancelled their big 3DS game Assassin's Creed before even system out, so has THQ with Saints Row. There is some thirst for quality games on 3DS no doubt, relatively high sales of Bravely Default and SMT4 prove it. Even a game like Monster Hunter, clearly not for everybody and has failed to be noticed on PSP in west passed the 3 million mark worldwide. Anything can happen, people just need to be brave enough to take risks and see the results.

So I'm playing on my n3DS right now, and switching the 3D on and off on it seems to replicate the differences Sweden between MH4U on 3DS vs n3DS.

Are we sure that those differences are not just the result of images captured with 3d on vs. those with it off?

Keyouta

I don't plan on getting a New 3DS, the original works fine for me with the amount of exclusives and games that use the extra power being only two right now. But this is good to know, I do like the improvements. If there is a good amount of support I may consider, but it is $230 that I'd rather put towards Nintendo's next handheld.

Still, that MH4 upgrade.

Top Bottom