• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that take advantage of New 3DS' enhanced processing power

I wonder if this is their new Apple strategy where they release a beefed up "upgrade" every couple of years, instead of a straight successor.

3DS Air coming holiday 2016.

Skelter

Banned
Emailed Digital Foundry/Eurogamer to see if they were already looking at this. Looks like they are waiting to make some comparisons...eventually.

3XJPsNB.jpg

Corgi

Banned
it's a bit pathetic that capcom is the one stepping their game up for n3ds xl launch with full CPP buttons support, better visuals/framerate... while nintendo's Majora Mask drops below 30 fps not infrequently on old and new 3ds, also no option to map stuff to ZL ZR, and the camera sensitivity is way too low.

Emailed Digital Foundry/Eurogamer to see if they were already looking at this. Looks like they are waiting to make some comparisons...eventually.

3XJPsNB.jpg

Ooh, thanks Skelter. Which address did you use to contact Richard/DF? I found an old one and I'm not sure it works -- emailed them about something last week and never got a response. If you could let me know that'd be HUGELY appreciated (sorry for caps)

Koobion

I'm incredibly interested in seeing what kind of performance and visual upgrades we'll see, both retroactively and going forward. It's going to depend on the bottlenecks for older games I suppose, but if we're looking at the same clocks, eh. The memory may also be faster though - so it shouldn't be out of the question that older games could load quicker.

It'd be awesome if we could force AA somehow.

Crisium

I hope Codename Steam gets an upgrade. Not that I have a New3DS yet, but I will eventually.

Interesting how much a difference textures can make even on a measly 240 resolution.

beril

I'm incredibly interested in seeing what kind of performance and visual upgrades we'll see, both retroactively and going forward. It's going to depend on the bottlenecks for older games I suppose, but if we're looking at the same clocks, eh. The memory may also be faster though - so it shouldn't be out of the question that older games could load quicker.

It'd be awesome if we could force AA somehow.

a faster CPU won't help with AA

Yousefb

Hmm I was on the fence about getting a New 3DS but this may have sold me. Plus I'm really intrigued about the new 3D viewing angles.

Question, are my downloaded games saved to the SD card or the system itself? Because I was thinking of selling/trading my old 3DS XL and getting a new but I don't really want to lose my downloads. Or is it tied to my Nintendo Network account?

TheMoon

Hmm I was on the fence about getting a New 3DS but this may have sold me. Plus I'm really intrigued about the new 3D viewing angles.

Question, are my downloaded games saved to the SD card or the system itself? Because I was thinking of selling/trading my old 3DS XL and getting a new but I don't really want to lose my downloads. Or is it tied to my Nintendo Network account?

the SD card obviously. that's why you have one, after all. only DSiWare games are stored on the internal system memory.

Yousefb

the SD card obviously. that's why you have one, after all. only DSiWare games are stored on the internal system memory.
So even digital only games like Phoenix Wright? Sorry if this sounds like a dumb questions but I've heard of horror stories when it comes Nintendo and transferring systems lol.

Biker19

Banned
I'm still not sold on the idea of New 3DS. It's obviously a better system, but the cost of upgrading is far too high for the amount I use the system. And if we get games in future that are nerfed on the OG models, I'm going to be put off and less likely to buy them.

What I'm trying to say is that as an OG XL owner, I'm glad Majora's Mask doesn't have differences between 3DS versions.

I don't plan on getting a New 3DS, the original works fine for me with the amount of exclusives and games that use the extra power being only two right now. But this is good to know, I do like the improvements. If there is a good amount of support I may consider, but it is $230 that I'd rather put towards Nintendo's next handheld.

Still, that MH4 upgrade.

For existing users such as yourselves, then yeah, the new 3DS isn't exactly needed.

But if someone (such as myself) hasn't owned a 3DS as of yet, then they might as well go with the New 3DS.

TheMoon

So even digital only games like Phoenix Wright? Sorry if this sounds like a dumb questions but I've heard of horror stories when it comes Nintendo and transferring systems lol.

Of course. Where else would it be stored? Your system itself doesn't have any real memory to store stuff in beyond a few DSiWare titles (256MB, like a DSi). Your SD card is your storage space on 3DS. Almost no 3DS game would fit into the internal storage anyway.

Portugeezer

I didn't know the power difference was that big, thought it was just a CPU. Still, I can't bring myself to care about the New 3DS.

Download games are saved to the SD card but going onto your point those saves are useless without that system or having performed a system transfer to another one due to private key encryption.

The game licenses are bound to the NNID (if you have one, otherwise the system).

Performing a system transfer means you not only keep your saves but you avoid having to phone Nintendo and wait to get the NNID linked onto another system.

Really hoping that the next wave of 3DS titles both from Nintendo and third parties take advantage of the added power. Looking forward to seeing what they have in store come E3. Definitely hoping to see more from Capcom considering what they got out of the regular 3DS's internals.

With the consensus seeming to be that the 3DS's CPU was bottlenecking the graphics ability, a good amount of games could probably see a sizeable improvement with some effort.

magnetic

I haven't read the whole thread, but in MH4U the framerate is a noticeable improvement on the N3DS. It's actually the #1 reason I bought the system. It's not a "30 vs 60" kinda jump (like, say, Dead Or Alive with 3D on and off), but on the old model it just felt shitty a lot of times, while it feels much smoother similar to the way MH3U felt.

There might be people who won't see the improvement, but it really made the game more enjoyable to me, especially considering that the game is all about timing and should be running at 60fps to begin with.

TheMoon

Download games are saved to the SD card but going onto your point those saves are useless without that system or having performed a system transfer to another one due to private key encryption.

The game licenses are bound to the NNID (if you have one, otherwise the system).

Performing a system transfer means you not only keep your saves but you avoid having to phone Nintendo and wait to get the NNID linked onto another system.

Oh man, I totally faded out the last part of the question. Yes of course all your purchases are tied to your NNID. What Starwolf said.

Skelter

Banned
Ooh, thanks Skelter. Which address did you use to contact Richard/DF? I found an old one and I'm not sure it works -- emailed them about something last week and never got a response. If you could let me know that'd be HUGELY appreciated (sorry for caps)

Oh just used the "Contact Us" at the bottom of the webpage.

Forgive me if I missed talk of this while skimming the thread, but The Pinball Arcade which never made it to the OG 3DS because the CPU wasn't quite powerful enough to emulate the ROMs is reportedly coming to the new 3DS.

If they manage 60 fps, it'll be a real show stopped. Pinball in 3D is fantastic.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Forgive me if I missed talk of this while skimming the thread, but The Pinball Arcade which never made it to the OG 3DS because the CPU wasn't quite powerful enough to emulate the ROMs is reportedly coming to the new 3DS.

If they manage 60 fps, it'll be a real show stopped. Pinball in 3D is fantastic.

First digital New 3DS exclusive?

Yousefb

Thanks man! You too TheMoon :p

Afaik the updated Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Legacy + has some exclusive N3DS features like better controls thanks to more added buttons, better (or more stable) framerate (?) and cleaned up graphics.

Also badass Amiibo planes:
3RjmPnp.jpg

NIE9Kre.jpg

xpZJTBA.jpg

pJT1JbR.jpg

Qks9Z8Q.jpg

PfBVeHI.jpg

maMsfFg.jpg

nampad

it's a bit pathetic that capcom is the one stepping their game up for n3ds xl launch with full CPP buttons support, better visuals/framerate... while nintendo's Majora Mask drops below 30 fps not infrequently on old and new 3ds, also no option to map stuff to ZL ZR, and the camera sensitivity is way too low.

Capcom also supported the CPP better when it launched.

Burai

shitonmychest57

CPP was released for MonHun3, n3DS was released for MonHun4. Capcom are stepping up their game because the hardware was made for them to keep them and Monster Hunter onside.

Nintendo aren't supporting it properly because they don't really want or need to, just as they didn't do much for the CPP.

Sakujou

Banned
are these the only two games?

arent there any older games who take advantage of that?

smash,
majoras mask
mh4
which work faster and a bit better on the new one...? no other games available?

Veal

We don't know if FPS genre is popular on 3DS because nobody has ever tried! Only past instance was Call of Duty games on DS. They must have been successful, Activision has released 4 sequels after the first one. I also don't think it would split the userbase, touch screen aiming can still be the thing.

Really? As a person who never got used to Dualshock analog aiming, I felt like c-stick might be the thing for me. I'm not sure though, I need to play IronFall to find out.
The more I use the c stick, the more I realize it's not meant for fps per say, and that's ok. Instead what developers should be trying to focus on in terms of fps controls on 3DS is a combination of c stick and gyro controls since the gyro is really underused AND is great for adjustments while aiming. The New 3DS really let's this happen in a way that couldn't be done satisfactorily before.

Veal

Zen Pinball is so good. If they could at least match that, I'd be ecstatic!

are these the only two games?

arent there any older games who take advantage of that?

smash,
majoras mask
mh4
which work faster and a bit better on the new one...? no other games available?

Sadly no, Smash and Majora just decrease loading times. But MH4 takes advantage, I listed that one in the OP. But if you mean MH3, nope.

Thanks for this thread, dampflokfreund. Subscribed.

You are welcome!

I do like your Gameboy Color analogy, though. MonHun 4 proves that you can make games look and run better on the new 3DS without breaking compatibility with the OG models. I hope we see more people take advantage of that, and I would love for older games to be patched too.
This is what I want to see actually. I think Xenoblade Chronicles should be an outlier. Most games should be compatible with both systems with nice enhancements on n3DS. Really hopeful that this is the route Nintendo will take.
Here's a better MonHun4 comparison showing texture upgrades on monsters: https://imgur.com/a/rzLJb
Man, textures are MUCH improved on new 3DS. Didn't know how fugly they were on old 3DS 'til seeing these screens.
Question is....will it get enough new games in the next 12 months? release list is pretty weak.
Feel like everyone should know by now that half the stuff in Ninty's pipeline we won't even know about until it's revealed on a Direct. What we see on the release list in the beginning of the year is only a small sample of what we actually end up getting.

Tom_Cody

From what I gather from this thread, MH4U is the only game with framerate (plus other stuff improvements)? So other games with framerate issues (such as MGS3) aren't improved?

To someone who knows more about this than me, would it be possible to patch older games? Or would more fundamental software changes need to be made to allow for the utilization of the beefier CPU?

This is made more confusing by the fact that MH4U mentions the CCP in game but not the n3DS. If it was developed with the n3DS in mind, why not mention it?

Pachimari

I really hope we'll get a lot more 3DS games and which will support the N3DS. What is on the horizon for the system?

Codename Steam
Xenoblade Chronicles 3D
Youkai Watch (US/EU release)

Anything else?

Corgi

Banned
CPP was released for MonHun3, n3DS was released for MonHun4. Capcom are stepping up their game because the hardware was made for them to keep them and Monster Hunter onside.

Nintendo aren't supporting it properly because they don't really want or need to, just as they didn't do much for the CPP.

cpp is a bit different from their new flagship console. Smooth out the framerate, allow mapping ZL ZR. They really didn't need to do much more for MM 3ds...

Just hope they release at least one 1st party game that has enhanced n3ds features. And an outsourced port of xenoblade doesn't count.

Wonder if pokemon will run any less ass this year on the new stuff.

Tom_Cody

I'm reminded that I need to give the CS demo another run. It's hard for me to imagine that the visuals will change, but it will be nice to get a sense of how the flow of the game changes with the improved camera control.

Morts

I wonder if games that performed poorly, like Rayman Origins or Metal Gear Solid 3, would be "fixed" by using an n3DS.

Someone in the Nintendo Downloads thread told me that Rayman 3D was fixed by a firmware update a while back. I bought it a week or so ago when it was on the eShop for $7.50 and it seems to be a fantastic version of Rayman 2. I've been playing it on my n3DS XL but it seemed fine on my original 3DS as well.

I just tracked down the source on the N3DS news about The Pinball Arcade:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpsCDkM7OMo#t=197

From Bobby King's mouth (the lead designer of the game) during an interview.

"With the new 3DS... we finally have the processing power... we're able to publish all the tables in the Pinball Arcade and that includes all the ROM emulation tables that we have. We're hoping to get the New 3DS version out this year."

So there you go.

Salsa

So I'm playing on my n3DS right now, and switching the 3D on and off on it seems to replicate the differences Sweden between MH4U on 3DS vs n3DS.

Are we sure that those differences are not just the result of images captured with 3d on vs. those with it off?

nothing about this?

FLAguy954

Afaik the updated Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Legacy + has some exclusive N3DS features like better controls thanks to more added buttons, better (or more stable) framerate (?) and cleaned up graphics.

Also badass Amiibo planes:
3RjmPnp.jpg

NIE9Kre.jpg

xpZJTBA.jpg

pJT1JbR.jpg

Qks9Z8Q.jpg

PfBVeHI.jpg

maMsfFg.jpg

Nice! Those are some pretty sharp/hi-res textures. The New 3DS' specs should of been the specs from the get-go imo
the I would be able to play MGS 3D at a framerate about 18 :p

Dunkley

Nice! Those are some pretty sharp/hi-res textures. The New 3DS' specs should of been the specs from the get-go imo
the I would be able to play MGS 3D at a framerate about 18 :p

MGS3DS really doesn't deviate too much from the 20FPS lock outside of cutscenes.

A solid 30 lock would be totally within the realm of possibility on the N3DS, as a semi 30 lock would have been on thr 3DS had they not rushed out the game due to the 3DS bombing pre-pricedrop.

Peagles

I'm wondering, since we seemed to have a thread before about how Majora's Mask would "play differently" on the New 3DS, do we know yet what the differences are? I've only tried it on my New 3DS but I'm tempted to compare with the old one.

KHlover

Banned
I'm wondering, since we seemed to have a thread before about how Majora's Mask would "play differently" on the New 3DS, do we know yet what the differences are? I've only tried it on my New 3DS but I'm tempted to compare with the old one.

Camera control with the nub :p

Top Bottom