• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games where the final boss isn't the hardest mandatory boss

AlexBasch

Laugh at me if you want, but Shadow Yukiko in P4 was really tough and everything was a cakewalk after that.

Edit: Haha beaten.

maxresdefault.jpg

Omega Pirate, anyone?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Tougher question:

Name a final boss that IS actually the most difficult mandatory boss in the game.

If we're ok with comparing different forms, then Tales of Symphonia probably counts.

Cause wow that last form is a joke compared to the first. Especially with the Retribution spam and Indignation Judgement bullshit. Plus you can easily stunlock the last form compared to the first.

Also Kratos is much harder if you're not overleveled like crazy.

PSqueak

Banned
Hmmm I guess
Mergo's Wetnurse
then would be the last mandatory boss. That said then guys like Rom and Vicar Amelia where WAAAAY harder than that fight

Pretty much.

Hell i had a bit of trouble with
Mergo
on my first run, but on my new game plus (where every boss is supposed to be harder) she was somehow....helpless to defend herself from my fury. It was really weird.

Amelia is pretty hard for an "early boss" and Rom is tricky, specially because she's the only mandatory boss that can heal and can screw you up if you run out of mist.

Tougher question:

Name a final boss that IS actually the most difficult mandatory boss in the game.

Banjo-Kazooie.

Mexen

Bloodborne
Gehrman was an infinitly more challenging and satisfying fight than the Moon Presence

I envy you. It took me three hours TWICE to beat him in FES lmao

Oh wow. It was on my very first try
after 6000th battle against Death. I have read that FES is harder to play though. Like you can't switch party members and stuff?

Im addition, that Vayne dude in FF XII was such a let down. Maybe I shouldn't have overpowered my party as much as I did.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Shrouded in Sanity. The main boss fights before the last one were challenging but I defeated the final boss on my first try. Still a fun fight but yeah I kinda expected more.

I gotta do the hidden boss sometime

Neoweee

Tougher question:

Persona 3. Can be immensely tedious, and she charms your party members into casting 100% heals on her.

Final Fantasy Gaiden: Four Heroes of Light. What a slog leading up to him, as well.

SMT: Strange Journey. Whichever path is the boss that casts the non-light, non-dark, insta-kill death move. Resistances don't work, so you literally have to get lucky with RNG multiple times. She'll dispel you if you ever get full stacks of buff/debuff, so have to deal with +3/-3 buffs/debuffs.

Devil Summoner: Raidou 1. The game is mostly a pushover other than the long, last boss fight.

Arc The Lad 2. LOL LOL LOL.

Pretty much.

Hell i had a bit of trouble with
Mergo
on my first run, but on my new game plus (where every boss is supposed to be harder) she was somehow....helpless to defend herself from my fury. It was really weird.

Amelia is pretty hard for an "early boss" and Rom is tricky, specially because she's the only mandatory boss that can heal and can screw you up if you run out of mist.

Banjo-Kazooie.

That seems too easy. Did Banjo-Kazooie really even have bosses? Like all I can think of is the bees in Click Clock Woods and the box in Rusty Bucket, but I'm not sure if they count. I think with platformers that will be the case for all those games.

I think I'll go with Cloud of Darkness for Final Fantasy III, but that may just be because you have to go through a whole dungeon and a bunch of other bosses before you fight her.

Neo-Exdeath in Final Fantasy V

Aesir, God of Chaos in Bayonetta 2

The final boss of Dragon Quest V, but is Bjork mandatory?

Harmen

Isn't this the case with most modern games? I don't recall playing a recent game where the final boss was the most challenging.

PSqueak

Banned
That seems too easy. Did Banjo-Kazooie really even have bosses? Like all I can think of is the bees in Click Clock Woods and the box in Rusty Bucket, but I'm not sure if they count. I think with platformers that will be the case for all those games.

Unlike Banjo-Tooie (which actually is a good answer as well) it doesn't have a boss in every level but it does have about 5 bosses.

But in hindsight, all bosses save for Grunty are technically optional in BK (so she would be the hardest in the sense that she's the only mandatory one), so i change my answer to Banjo-Tooie, since it has 3 mandatory fights with Klungo plus the Hag1 fight. All other bosses are optional with the sole exception of Old King Coal.

h0tp0ck3t

Oh wow. It was on my very first try
after 6000th battle against Death. I have read that FES is harder to play though. Like you can't switch party members and stuff?

lol yeah no direct commands. I had the misfortune of being underprepared and having fucking Yukari get charmed and cast Diarahan on Nyx

Laplasakos

Pretty much every JRPG. Some of them that gave me really hard time

1. Kingdom Hearts COM (GBA version)

The final battle with Riku Replica was so hard that i still remember it to this day. I think the final encouter with him is the 3th or 4th time fighting him. I was playing the japanese version too. Makes the Riku battle at the original KH look like a walk in the park.

2. Final Fantasy X

Basically all the Seymour battles will give you a hard time. All battles take place when you are not expecting it. But Yunalesca is more hard. She basically laughs at the final boss f the game (especially at the final final one).

3. Dark Souls series

Many bosses are harder then the last one. Glass Knight, Smough and Ornstein, Manus, Knight Artorias... pick one.

Pics_nao

Does Duke 2 in Vesperia count or would that fall under secret boss status? You do need the Fell Arms in order to trigger the fight.

Edit: Gattuso in Vesperia was also a bitch to fight.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Lol so many people not reading the OP or not understanding the definition of "mandatory".

My submission is Final Fantasy Tactics. You know the one. He's so mandatory you can't go back out to grind if you didn't be sure to make multiple saves XD

jelly

Who was that boss in NG2 on the airship with ninja incendiary buddies. Fuck that boss, I jammed that.

I never had much trouble with Alma strangely when people talk about her as really hard. Thought she was straight forward if you have the patience.

Speaking of something I recently played, Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories.

Marluxia's final forms are much easier compared to the first time you fight him and some earlier boss battles such as Larxene part two.

that cutscene for
Riku
is so ingrained in my head because you had to rewatch it EVERY TIME you failed it, and this was before skippable cutscenes were a thing (PS2). still remember the whole thing, christ

"I'll never let you take Kairi's heart!"

+1 to Hollow Bastion Dark Riku in KH1 and Roxas in KH2FM.

The Last Remnant's final boss can be the hardest boss if you do all the sidequests and unlock his true form, but I didn't, so the hardest fight was probably Nest of Eagles, Ludope, or Hannah & Hinnah.

Lorithia in Xenoblade Chronicles was indeed the one that came to mind for me too. She was a boss that was ruled by mechanics that I had been mostly ignoring until that point. The one time these mechanics were relevant before this, was much earlier against... Lorithia's personal guard? I guess that should have tipped me off, I suppose, but it didn't. I just brute-forced my way through it.

So many people complained about her but I beat that fight without incident. It was always confusing to me. I had a way harder time with Xord lol.

Ogodei

It's hard to say in some RPGs because i'll do grinding for optional bosses/events to clear out before the final boss. In Xenoblade, for instance, i went in strong enough to take on the level 90 Telethia in the High Entia capital, because i had to get all the heart-to-heart combos i missed before the place got infested, so stomped all over Lorithia, Dixon, and the final boss because i was 15-20 levels ahead of them.

There the toughest boss for me was probably Xord near the very beginning of the game, as later on you had more characters and access to better gems and armor, along with having more experience in the combat that made tricky situations more manageable.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Demon's Souls: Flamelurker, Maneaters > whatever you consider as "the last boss" (any archdemon, or the feeble Old King Allant under the NExus)

Dark Souls: Smough & Ornstein > Gwyn

Dark Souls II: Ruin Sentinels*, Velstadt, Throne Watcher & Defender > Nashandra

Bloodborne: Father Gascoigne > G
ehrman
> M
oon Presence

Nioh: Yuki-Onna > Yamata-No-Orochi

Dragon's Dogma: Grigori > the S
eneschal

Final Fantasy Tactics: Wiegraf > Ultima

* Technically optional, you either beat them, or beat both Flexile Sentry, Pursuer, and use a Pharros Lockstone, but most players will not skip them

I remember Phantasy Star 4 being particularly guilty of this, not just the final boss but some of the bosses leading up to it, because bosses toward the end eventually started getting a spell/ability in their move lists (I forget what it was) that is supposed to be beneficial to the boss but was also a free turn of not taking damage which helped you heal back up.
I disagree. Profound Darkness phase 3 is harder than anything else, including Zio and Lashiec, IMO.

In Undertale, it very much depends. If you go True Pacifist,
Asriel
is very deliberately not that hard- that battle's closer to a victory lap than it is a climactic test of your skills.

If you go Genocide, however, it's a VERY different story.

I always found King Rat in Secret of Evermore to be by far the hardest boss in the game. By the time you reach him (depending on level of course) one of his attacks will probably take about half your health, and the bastard is able to chain two attacks together sometimes giving you no time to heal. I'm sure there's a bit of a traipse back to him from the closest save point too. Starts at around 3:20 - https://youtu.be/bXRPTZRuBy4

Tougher question:

I found Rhapthorne really hard in Dragon Quest VIII. I could never defeat him despite probably dozens of attempts. My team were probably a bit low-level, but I couldn't face hours of grinding to be able to take him on again so never finished it.

Timeaisis

Yup, your totally right about that Xenoblade boss. Damn her, spent so much time on that boss.

Also, most Souls games have a harder boss before the final boss. O&S are the hardest in DS, imo. I'd say Lothric & Lorian are the hardest in DS3. Bloodborne is kind of a wash, everyone has trouble on different bosses. I think Amelia is still the hardest boss in that entire game (minus DLC content), and she's mandatory.

Quake. You don't even have to fight the final boss. You can just jump through a teleporter and telefrag it. Every single other mob in the game is a tougher fight.

In the original River City Ransom, the final boss is just a regular guy, like the ones you've been beating up the whole game. Getting to him, of course, is no small task, but he himself is a pushover.

Van Bur3n

Every Souls game besides Dark Souls 3. Well, even then, I wouldn't say Dark Souls 3's final boss is the hardest. But its the only Souls game that has a solid final boss.

Technically, Bloodborne's final boss is Mergo's Wet Nurse, which is Nashandra levels of pathetic.

Although the secret, true final boss is just as pathetic as well.

Whales

Banned
Dark Souls 1 and 2

The final bosses are usually easier than the ones before them (ESPECIALLY ds2, that last boss is literally a joke)

Ds3 is usually picked too but I found the last boss decently challenging... Hes not the hardest tough

ASaiyan

Banned
Pokemon Yellow

PkWiqxT.png

The only super-effective move you can get at this point is to catch a Nidoran♂ and grind it until it learns Double Kick. If you don't know this...prepare to suffer.

Top Bottom