• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games where the final boss isn't the hardest mandatory boss

Mozendo

Pokemon Yellow

PkWiqxT.png

The only super-effective move you can get at this point is to catch a Nidoran♂ and grind it until it learns Double Kick. If you don't know this...prepare to suffer.

You can catch a Mankey on the way to Indigo Plateau.

Kyuur

Pokemon Yellow

The only super-effective move you can get at this point is to catch a Nidoran♂ and grind it until it learns Double Kick. If you don't know this...prepare to suffer.

I would always get a Butterfree. Confusion rocked him.

The bomb guardian in Metroid Prime 2.

You have to fight him in morph ball form, and he's fast as fuck. Also you're constantly losing health because you're in the dark world.

I recall the last boss of Grandia 2 being a complete cakewalk (at least for myself) compared to some of the previous boss fights.

Man, I really need to replay that game. Such good memories.

Kinsei

Banned
Most games do this. It feels like finales are meant to be a victory lap instead of a final challenge most fo the time.

Tougher question:

Name a final boss that IS actually the most difficult mandatory boss in the game.

Sigma from Mega Man X.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Gears of War 2. Skorge was way tougher than that lambent brumack.

Auctopus

Most games do this. It feels like finales are meant to be a victory lap instead of a final challenge most fo the time..

I think this is to compliment the game's pacing. If you lead a climax up to a finale and then have the player repeat the finale and possibly becomes frustrated at it, it can sour the taste of the ending of the game. Or even create a nasty block between the climax and the conclusion of the story.

Kinsei

Banned
I think this is to compliment the game's pacing. If you lead a climax up to a finale and then have the player repeat the finale and possibly becomes frustrated at it, it can sour the taste of the ending of the game. Or even create a nasty block between the climax and the conclusion of the story.

But on the flip side it ends up making the ending anticlimactic if the final boss/segment of the game is too easy.

Saints Row 2's final boss by default is the easiest in the game because
it's a cowardly CEO shooting at you with a pistol while swat officers occasionally run in to provide a little more trouble

jonjonaug

The two final bosses of Shin Megami Tensei IV are easier to kill than most other bosses in the game despite having two forms each.

Tougher question:

Name a final boss that IS actually the most difficult mandatory boss in the game.
The final boss of Shin Megami Tensei IV:Apocalypse is easily the hardest boss in the game, and this is a game with a lot of difficult bosses.

I remember both
Seymour's third form
and
Yunalesca
utterly destroying me over and over.

Yeah. I really enjoyed the tension it gave to those battles though.
I hate grinding and random encounters so I almost followed the story direction to a tee, which made me underleveled as FUCK. Tried the final boss many times too, couldn't do it until I grinded for Doublecast.

Elpizo
in Mega Man Zero 2 is probably one of the easiest mandatory fights in that game. The boss rush is harder.

Then there's Breath of the Wild, where the final boss is basically a free space.

Tougher question:

Mega Man 7's Wily Capsule is infamous for being so difficult it starts to stray into 'bullshit' territory. Thankfully it's not hard enough to be that bad but it's still a step up from the rest of the bosses in the game.

Linkark07

Banned
Some bosses in Persona 3 and many in the Answer were quite a pain compared.

Persona 3. Last boss is hype, comparatively hard and takes quite a while. A truly worthy last boss and a great ending. Amazing game.

Last boss is amazing but I recall in Tartarus there were some bosses that were quite annoying. If memory serves me right, one of them was in that disco area section.

Kyzon

In breath of the wild, literally every enemy is more difficult than the final boss.

Only real disappointment from me for the game

I was going to say Darkbeast Paarl but i think he's optional? Anyway, MANY Bloodborne bosses were harder than Gerhman.

Yeah, Darkbeast is optional, and the exit to the area leads to another optional area.

Seymour Flux is much, much harder than Yu Yevon. Actually every other boss in the game is harder than Yu Yevon.

That isn't a final boss anymore than
Omnislashing Sephiroth is.
They're just ways to allow the player some control or else in FFX, you'd watch a long cutscene
of your party defeating all of your aeons and then Yu Yevon himself.
Allowing you to at least play all that makes it easier than watching a long cutscene.

I mean, it's obvious by the fact that you can't die. If it's impossible to lose, it's just not a boss because that defeats the purpose of a boss.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
i feel like at least one of the mortal kombat games must qualify here especially some of the early 'fuck you' settings on the AI. my memory is hazy though i dont remember if goro was really harder than shang tsung or not.

ldar247

Banned
I remember having a bit of trouble against one of the whites in SMT4, but I was able to breeze through the lucifer and merkabah battles.

Gila Moo

Neo Member
All of the optional bosses that become available after the final story bosses from the Etrian Odyssey series. You can be level 99 and can they can still be near impossible to beat without a certain party setup and strategy.

Crash Bandicoot's final bosses tend to be ridiculously easy compared to the rest of the game.

Pathetically true of Crash 2. The only games in the series where this doesn't ring true in my opinion are N-Tranced, Titans, Mind over Mutant, and Nitro Kart. All the other ones are pretty anticlimactic. Would love Vicarious Visions to add some extra phases and difficulty to the original three's finales.

Yoda

From my WoW days.

Muru > Kil'jaedan

4 Horsemen > Kel'Thuzad (Vanilla)

Nefarian > Sinestra (pre-nerf, required massive cheesing to meet the dps req)

Dark Souls:

1: O&S, 4K > Gwyn

Ninja Gaiden:

Alma > I don't remember the bosses last name lol

MrBadger

oh yeah. absolutely. I had to sit through that fucking pre-fight cut scene 50 times.

I was so close to watching the ending on Youtube because of this...

Tougher question:

Senator Armstrong in Metal Gear Rising, Cackletta in Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga.

The Metroid Prime is too easy, the Omega Pirate and Meta Ridley are harder.

Metroid Fusion's Omega Metroid is incredibly easy compared to SA-X, who in turn is incredibly easy compared to Nightmare

Dynheart

Banned
DO not know if this was mentioned or not, but Eternal Sonata. The boss before the last boss was a nightmare. The last boss was easy in comparison.

Crayolan

Pokemon Yellow

PkWiqxT.png

Charmander can win by just spamming ember and exploiting Geodude/Onix's low special since they have no rock moves.

With Pikachu it's tougher I guess but you can also get a Mankey in Yellow.

Misty is tougher, regardless of which starter you have. Her Starmie is so OP it 2 shots anything unless you spend a lot of time grinding Ivysaur, and tanks even super effective hits pretty well. At that point in the game you don't have many options to deal with something like that.

Wanderer5

I just finished Kingdom Hearts 1.5 and thought
Riku
was tougher than
ansem

Yeah this pop up for me. That fight actually even turned me off from the game for a couple months lol, but I came back and finally defeated him.

The final bosses aren't really as hard, just the whole thing being long.

Oh yeah and this also extended to Chain of Memories with the same freaking boss lol.

Dark Souls 1 has an infamously pathetic final boss. In interviews with the director they admit that they dropped the ball on it. The idea was to make it a solid fight for any build but in the end they just ended up making it overall simple and not particularly challenging.

Charmander can win by just spamming ember and exploiting Geodude/Onix's low special since they have no rock moves.

With Pikachu it's tougher I guess but you can also get a Mankey in Yellow.

Misty is tougher, regardless of which starter you have. Her Starmie is so OP it 2 shots anything unless you spend a lot of time grinding Ivysaur, and tanks even super effective hits pretty well. At that point in the game you don't have many options to deal with something like that.

misty is easy, and you can wait until after st anne to beat her if your having issues

Narroo

Tougher question:

If we're not including 'event battles,' such as unlosable fights using the power of friendship, then here's a surprising one:

Final Fantasy X.

Also, on a similar note, the Final Boss from Persona 3 is an order of magnitude harder than the rest of the bosses Persona 3. Persona 3's mandatory bosses were all really easy, except this one guy.

Top Bottom