• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

massoluk

Banned
Futuristic bike game for the arcade where you missiles and melee weapons. It was my favorite game when I was young. I've been trying to find out more about it since forever

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
There was an Amiga gamr I played with my mom. The screen had this thing, I think it was the enemy that would go around I think the perimeter of the game board and you would try to box it in making the space it could traverse smaller and smaller. I can't remember what made the level end. Ring a bell to anyone?

Sounds like Qix or a Qix clone.

Phear

There was a point and click adventure...from Sierra i guess. I don't know what it was about, but i have the name "Nigel" in my head. I think it was a kid character.

Looking through the "Best of Sierra" Magazines, i guess it was either Woodruff or Freddy Pharkas... But i can't remember the scene or who that "Nigel" was...

BooJoh

There was a point and click adventure...from Sierra i guess. I don't know what it was about, but i have the name "Nigel" in my head. I think it was a kid character.

Looking through the "Best of Sierra" Magazines, i guess it was either Woodruff or Freddy Pharkas... But i can't remember the scene or who that "Nigel" was...

Space Quest 6 appears to have a Nigel who is one of a pair of hired thugs. Definitely doesn't look like a kid though.

https://youtu.be/W9_jaRd-ICk?t=40s

Steeven

I sometimes remember a game from the early 1990s, thought it was on MAC but could have been PC (floppy disk era definitely). It was a split screen strategy game with armies moving towards each other. I believe the only thing that was possible was to use credits to order units, which would then move automatically to the battlefield and fight. It was pretty straightforward but I cannot seem recall its name and find it.

Okay so I'm pulling my hair out trying to remember the name of this old PC game that I used to play sometime in maybe the early 2000s, late 1990s. It was an online PVP game, similar to Quake or Unreal Tournament, except with wizards.

I remember a handful of different classes, including a healer, a traditional "black mage" style character, and an assassin class. I think it was a capture the flag style game where you had to capture a "nexus." The game world was 3D, but other characters were sprites I believe. Or it was verrry early 3D.

Help me oldgaf, you're my only hope!

Hexen methinks?

Trying to find a game, heres what I remember
-top down or isometric
-character has motorcycle helmet and katana
-80s futurstic / cyberpunkish vibe
-release this year or last
-Might be PC only
-word "Run" might be in the title
-Gameplay similar to HyperLightDrifter, Transistor,Hotline Miami

Found - Ruiner - http://store.steampowered.com/app/464060

From what I remember...

* Early 90's arcade
* Up to 2 player multi
* Plays a bit like defender
* Little green enemy dinosaurs all over the ground... You could bomb them and they'd go flying
* I think you could purchase upgrades between missions

jett

D-Member
There's this old C64 game, I barely remember anything about it, I just remember you got awarded with the word "jedi" when you got a high score doing something. It just popped into my head right now. The letters were colorful and most of the background is black...maybe. I don't even remember what kind of game it was. Maybe it was a platformer of some sort.

A challenge, no doubt. :p

retroman

There's this old C64 game, I barely remember anything about it, I just remember you got awarded with the word "jedi" when you got a high score doing something. It just popped into my head right now. The letters were colorful and most of the background is black...maybe. I don't even remember what kind of game it was. Maybe it was a platformer of some sort.

Could it be Treshold?

Gameplay video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWivh9ncx0U

According to one of the Youtube commenters, JEDI was a German cracking group that released this game, along with many others.

If it wasn't this game, it might've been another game that was cracked by the same group.

EDIT: Found a list of the games cracked by JEDI: http://csdb.dk/group/?id=22

jett

D-Member
Could it be Treshold?

Gameplay video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWivh9ncx0U

According to one of the Youtube commenters, JEDI was a German cracking group that released this game, along with many others.

If it wasn't this game, it might've been another game that was cracked by the same group.

EDIT: Found a list of the games cracked by JEDI: http://csdb.dk/group/?id=22

That's some sleuthing! Went through the list and it's Matchboxes. Those damn crackas. I remember as a kid back in those days I was trying to figure out what did Star Wars had to do with this game lol. Thanks, I really didn't think anyone one would figure this one out.

edit: It was funny going through that list of games and finding games I literally haven't thought about in 25 years. Like this thing. The name was lost to me but I certainly remember everything else. Funny how much crap our brains retain.

Ok I'm having trouble remembering a recent FPS I played. It was definitely set in STALKER universe, but wasn't called STALKER. You team up with a crazy russian guy who gets caught by the bad guys, and you free him. The bad guys are future/quasi Nazis. He takes you to an underground town where you shop around and nap. There are enemies that dissolve when you point your flashlight at them. Anyone know the name? It's not Shadow of Chernobyl or Call of Pripyat.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Ok I'm having trouble remembering a recent FPS I played. It was definitely set in STALKER universe, but wasn't called STALKER. You team up with a crazy russian guy who gets caught by the bad guys, and you free him. The bad guys are future/quasi Nazis. He takes you to an underground town where you shop around and nap. There are enemies that dissolve when you point your flashlight at them. Anyone know the name? It's not Shadow of Chernobyl or Call of Pripyat.

Sounds like one of the Metro games, though those aren't set in the STALKER universe, no games but the 3 STALKERS are in that universe.

Sounds like one of the Metro games, though those aren't set in the STALKER universe, no games but the 3 STALKERS are in that universe.

Oh you're absolutely right. It's a Metro game! Metro: Last Light. Thanks, that was screwing with me for so long.

Here's the underground town I was talking about:

full3_metro_last_light.jpg

eso76

Whoa, now that you mention this, I remember the same.
In my case it was a space shmup, but a lot of C64 games I owned came on those 10/30 games tapes sold at newsagentcies, pirated to hell and back and often translated, so I'm not sure it was originally in the game or something the pirates did.

jett

D-Member
Whoa, now that you mention this, I remember the same.
In my case it was a space shmup, but a lot of C64 games I owned came on those 10/30 games tapes sold at newsagentcies, pirated to hell and back and often translated, so I'm not sure it was originally in the game or something the pirates did.

Retroman figured it out a few posts back.

eso76

Retroman figured it out a few posts back.

Yup, had seen that but in my case I remember Jedi being used as either ranking or difficulty level. It wasn't the cracker's name, though I'm not sure whether it was originally in the game or pirates took some liberties with the translation.

In my case it *may* have been a space shmup which only peculiarity I remember was, instead of the classic 3 lives you got different ships each time you died.

Pilot's name, hobby and ship's name (and appearance iirc) were picked randomly from a list and displayed between lives.
Ship: the buccaneer
Pilot: Jean whatever
Hobby: Gardening

The various combinations could sound heroic or menacing or ridiculous and playing with my brother and making fun of each other's crew and ship was the only fun aspect of the game.
I forgot the name though.

TURBO1112

Been trying to figure this one out for a while. Theres a game(most likely multiple games) with an enemy that punches through the ground and his arm pops where you are to hit you. Any ideas? I know it isnt much.

meh, there's many enemies who "punch through the ground and their arm pops where you are to hit you" but Dhalsim ain't one.

Darkstalkers definitely has one or two though, but there's plenty more

Ha, you're right. I was thinking of the Egyptian dude in Darkstalkers.

Darkside21

Neo Member
There was this arcade game I played quite a while ago (late 90s early 2000s I think) where there were 2 seats for players to sit in. One was the driver and both had guns. I think you just drove on a track and shot at the enemies that would pop up. I think of this game every now and then, but could never remember the name of it. Does any have an idea of what I'm talking about?

There was, what I believe to be, a DOS adventure game I had when I was young I only have fleeting memories of. I would have played it in the mid 90s along with the better looking version of Mixed-Up Mother Goose and the Peter Pan adventure game with paintbrushes but I remember it having a cruder look than those titles so it was probably older than either.

I recall the game having a side scrolling perspective where the player character is in a stone castle with green vines that also had large paintings. Not much to go on...

eso76

There was this arcade game I played quite a while ago (late 90s early 2000s I think) where there were 2 seats for players to sit in. One was the driver and both had guns. I think you just drove on a track and shot at the enemies that would pop up. I think of this game every now and then, but could never remember the name of it. Does any have an idea of what I'm talking about?

?

duh, already answered

zeemumu

There was an old kid's computer game from when I was little, and it was about going to sleep and walking around in a dream. You could customize your character and I think one o the options was as a football player.

It's not 40 Winks. It was 2D sprite animation and was kinda tile-based.

I think the icon on the cover had a genie tail instead of legs.

mclem

There was, what I believe to be, a DOS adventure game I had when I was young I only have fleeting memories of. I would have played it in the mid 90s along with the better looking version of Mixed-Up Mother Goose and the Peter Pan adventure game with paintbrushes but I remember it having a cruder look than those titles so it was probably older than either.

I recall the game being having a side scrolling perspective where the player character is in a stone castle with green vines that also had large paintings. Not much to go on...

Could well be a King's Quest... but there's a whole lot of castles to talk about there.

I recall the game having a side scrolling perspective where the player character is in a stone castle with green vines that also had large paintings. Not much to go on...

Someone else suggested King's Quest...could it have been Legend of Kyrandia?

Legend%20of%20Kyrandia%201,%20The_8.png

mjontrix

There was this old game - would be 90s or older on PC - it was a platformer where you played as a guy (Bear?) in red (Coat/whatever captains wore, or was he a pirate?) (not armor) - had a musket or something I think as a gun. I think you had a scimitar as well.

I think it was a shareware game but I'm not sure - if anyone knows much appreciated!

There was this old game - would be 90s or older on PC - it was a platformer where you played as a guy (Bear?) in red (Coat/whatever captains wore, or was he a pirate?) (not armor) - had a musket or something I think as a gun. I think you had a scimitar as well.

I think it was a shareware game but I'm not sure - if anyone knows much appreciated!

Captain Claw.

Eldainorn

I used to play a top down racer as a kid (about 15 years ago). The .exe file for the game was named Nitro, but I cannot find it anywhere under this name. So maybe it was just changed to that name...

Besides that, I know that you were able to race in a desert, ice or wooden environments and also on classic race tracks. You were able to go to pit stop and such. Also, it was a pure racer, no weapons or anything.

Anyone?

I used to play a top down racer as a kid (about 15 years ago). The .exe file for the game was named Nitro, but I cannot find it anywhere under this name. So maybe it was just changed to that name...

Besides that, I know that you were able to race in a desert, ice or wooden environments and also on classic race tracks. You were able to go to pit stop and such. Also, it was a pure racer, no weapons or anything.

Anyone?

Maybe GeneRally?

Could well be a King's Quest... but there's a whole lot of castles to talk about there.

Someone else suggested King's Quest...could it have been Legend of Kyrandia?

Legend%20of%20Kyrandia%201,%20The_8.png

I think it looked more in line with King's Quest but had a darker color pallet. There may or may not have been frankenstein's monster in the game so I'm thinking it might have been a more contemporary setting than KQ as well.

lowbeat

Neo Member
PS1, mini cars racing game, I remember yo ucould pick up cars in front of you and throw them behind you. Not Micromachines.

Mista Koo

It's been over a year, may I repost mine?

A late 90's/early 00's PC Pokemon fan game that had MSPaint like graphics. You would battle Pokemon (maybe trainers?) in a pong/breakout like fashion using your pokeball. They would be standing at the top of the screen doing special attacks and such and you try to hit them with your pokeball. When you beat a pokemon it disappears/you catch it and the screen immediately blinks to the next stage. The game only had sfx and no music.

Castef

Banned

Anyone?

That actually sounds like Nitro.

10450.jpg

Anyone?

http://www.mobygames.com/game/nitro/screenshots
Maybe you were looking on the wrong platforms?

Ganrob

Neo Member
On Atari ST. You were walking up a tower that would rotate 3D style and had to dodge/destroy enemies if I remember correctly.

Top Bottom