• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

whatevermort said:
I need help finding a PC game from 1994ish. It was a flying game - I'd be loathe to call it a sim, though, as it was really focussed on arcade shooting, essentially. It was one on one dogfights, if memory serves, and had a variety of different planes in it, all from different time periods (I think). The most crucial part of it was that it was split-screen 2 player, same monitor. It was awesome. Any ideas?

Still haven't found this. It's not Evasive Action; it's not Air Duel. It was controllable with just keyboard - I think just WASD and a brake and accelerator - and might have been developed by a French Company (though that could just be me going insane). It was big at the time - got big reviews in PC Zone, if memory serves. It existed, because I had to spend hours tweaking my config.sys to get it running - it needed a lot of memory.

RevDM

Banned
on the ps1 demo disc where you and 3 other ai (or possibly coop) run around in a giant box trying to get to a certain area of the box first. The entire thing occurs on one screen, the box can flip or rotate if you get there and the players are relatively miniature.

mclem

RevDM said:
on the ps1 demo disc where you and 3 other ai (or possibly coop) run around in a giant box trying to get to a certain area of the box first. The entire thing occurs on one screen, the box can flip or rotate if you get there and the players are relatively miniature.

Blast Chamber?

I remember a Wii game that looked like some sort of horizontal breakout game from afar. Seemed pretty fun. It was at the Micromania Games Show in France if that helps.

I'm gonna be very vague here. I think it was a master system game or around that time. Had a monkey in it that shot fireballs or something? Was definitely a platformer. Can't remember much more as it was from when I was very very young.

mclem

Holy Order Sol said:
I remember a Wii game that looked like some sort of horizontal breakout game from afar. Seemed pretty fun. It was at the Micromania Games Show in France if that helps.

Bit Trip: Beat?

elfinke

eso76 said:
the last one on your list is very hard to guess, though.
The description you gave is very detailed, but still there's probably 3 dozens games like that on C64, so if there's anything else you remember...

EDIT:

Actually, screw what i just said, i'm pretty sure you're talking about

Cyberzone

Cyberzone.png
That is it for sure. I have googled Cyberzone before (admttedly t was years ago) and never come up with a winning screenshot.

One of my favorite C64 games ever. Thanks eso.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Forkball said:
Have you ever thought of a game, but don't know the title, or much about it at all? Maybe it was a game from your childhood, or some game that interested you when it was announced but fell off your radar. Post them in this thread and let's see if other GAF posters can help you out.

Anyways, I saw someone mention Battlezone on here and started to think about this tank combat game for the arcade. I think it was from Japan or had some Japanese name. I don't remember much about it except that it was two player and you could fight each other's tanks. One of the tanks was also white I think. Any ideas?

Could you leave the tank and get into choppers too?

I can't remember that one either.

eso76

elfinke said:
That is it for sure. I have googled Cyberzone before (admttedly t was years ago) and never come up with a winning screenshot.

One of my favorite C64 games ever. Thanks eso.

you're welcome, glad you were able to find all four !

vic2020

Neo Member
I'm trying to remember a ps1 game that reminds me of BoF3. It had colorful 2d sprites and I think you start the game off as a baby dragon and more party members show up early on. I don't remember much as I only played it for about 15 minutes. I think it was an rpg or platformer and I can't remember the combat.

I dont think it was legend of mana but its a vague memory.

goober

Posted this in the Off-Topic thread, but was redirected here. Hoping Gaming can help..

Anyone remember a really old flash game from like the late 90's/early 00's where you are a DJ and you perform at parties/clubs and there are like a variety of discs you can put on the turntable?

I don't remember the actual gameplay but it was fun for me (I was young) and I remember the records being different colors depending on the genre (like purple for one, orange for another).

I know my description isn't really helpful, but it was on the same website as this breakdancing game, where you use the keyboard to perform the moves, and you get better moves as you progress.

kpx0

Banned
an old fighting game for the PC (i believe it was windows 95 or 98 since it came on CD-ROM)... you fight street fighter style using humanoid looking robots. it had pretty decent looking graphics for the time. its not "one must fall" but looks similar.

vic2020 said:
I'm trying to remember a ps1 game that reminds me of BoF3. It had colorful 2d sprites and I think you start the game off as a baby dragon and more party members show up early on. I don't remember much as I only played it for about 15 minutes. I think it was an rpg or platformer and I can't remember the combat.

I dont think it was legend of mana but its a vague memory.
Can't help but think you're talking about Lunar: Eternal Blue Complete. You control a dude but he has a pink, baby dragon thing named Ruby that's always with him and is there from the very start. And it talks and such so that could be why you think it's what you controlled? Seems like the obvious answer to me, at least.

kpx0 said:
an old fighting game for the PC (i believe it was windows 95 or 98 since it came on CD-ROM)... you fight street fighter style using humanoid looking robots. it had pretty decent looking graphics for the time. its not "one must fall" but looks similar.

Rise of the Robots was on many platforms, including PC. I don't know if all robots were humanoid but first thing that came to mind as that fits your description from what I can recall.

Roto13

My friend is looking for a PC point-and-click game he played years ago and can't remember the name of. I haven't played a lot of those games so I haven't been a great help to him.

Yeah, I used to really dislike the impossible ones. I can't remember which one it was, but there was one game (fantasy based) where basically if you took Fork B instead of Fork A, you basically kept finding new ways to die horribly until you restarted the game, and you couldn't backtrack either. (Any idea which one I'm talking about it? It had a first person point of view, and was fairly popular?)

Just remembered a few more details on that near impossible game: There was something at the beginning about following the stars in the sky to find an island, and five dwarves who you needed to appeal to using their singular senses... Does this ring any bells?

He might be wrong about the impossible part. :p It's probably something everyone else has played but me.

BooJoh

Roto13 said:
My friend is looking for a PC point-and-click game he played years ago and can't remember the name of. I haven't played a lot of those games so I haven't been a great help to him.

He might be wrong about the impossible part. :p It's probably something everyone else has played but me.
The sense dwarves and following the stars are from King's Quest 6, but honestly that's one of the easiest games in the series.

Here's the intro, which mentions the stars bit. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktILoqzemUw

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
I played a JRPG on the SNES for a couple of weeks. I think it was called something like jungle boy (but I can't find anything about it with that name). You start in this semi primitive village/environment, and there was something going on with the dad of the protagonist. Later on you also end up on a island that's very modern, with cars and roads and skyscrapers etc - very different from where you start out. There was also something going on with a boxing match at some point in the game.

It didn't look too good but it was kinda funny nonetheless. My brother translated it for me as we played together.

Slayven

Anyone remember the name of those NES adventure games? I remember one you play a detective with amnesia trying to remember who he is.

eXistor

My colleague can't remember a game and I can't really think of a title. Supposedly it's a point and click game with a boy that lost his white dog (kidnapped) and you have to find him with the help of his friends. He also mentions that the final part of the game was at a gas station, but he's not 100% about any of it. He played it when he was a kid, so it could be made for kids.

Nailscat

Neo Member
whatevermort said:
Still haven't found this. It's not Evasive Action; it's not Air Duel. It was controllable with just keyboard - I think just WASD and a brake and accelerator - and might have been developed by a French Company (though that could just be me going insane). It was big at the time - got big reviews in PC Zone, if memory serves. It existed, because I had to spend hours tweaking my config.sys to get it running - it needed a lot of memory.

It wasn't Blue Max was it? It only had WWI planes in it, but it was definitely split screen. It came out a while before the date you are suggesting too. Sorry, that's my best guess!

http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/958/Blue+Max+-+Aces+of+the+Great+War.html

This was bugging me the other day ...

I'm going to assume it's a shooter, but no idea if fps or tps ....

All I have for you is that there's a part that takes place in a multi-level quarry.

RE4??

Roto13

Slayven said:
Anyone remember the name of those NES adventure games? I remember one you play a detective with amnesia trying to remember who he is.
There's also Shadowgate and Uninvited. There's also a Deja Vu collection with both Deja Vu 1 and 2 for Game Boy Color.

NEOPARADIGM said:
This was bugging me the other day ...

I'm going to assume it's a shooter, but no idea if fps or tps ....

All I have for you is that there's a part that takes place in a multi-level quarry.

RE4??

Crackdown?

SKINNER!

Banned
I used to play a game on DOS that I adored but could never remember what it was called. It consists of you controlling a teenage kid (i think) going through tombs or caves and jumping over spiders and such (sort of like a side-scrolling platformer) and at the end of each level you have to complete a sliding puzzle to form an image. I recall the first level was Ancient Egypt themed and the sliding puzzle picture is of the Sphinx (I think).

Another game which I played on a Windows 95 machine was similar to "Scorched Earth" where you controlled a tank and have to take turns shooting missiles in order to defeat each other but the difference is that this game was on a huge 3D-esque sphere rather than a flat surface. Also, there were movie references thrown in like "Do you feel lucky?" and "Apocalypse now" soundbites. I specifically remember a "surrender" missile that displaces a huge peace sign whenever you activate it. I don't think this was a huge-release game (probably came free on a CD or something) but I wouldn't mind playing it again for nostalgia's sake.

shorty_symd said:
I used to play a game on DOS that I adored but could never remember what it was called. It consists of you controlling a teenage kid (i think) going through tombs or caves and jumping over spiders and such (sort of like a side-scrolling platformer) and at the end of each level you have to complete a sliding puzzle to form an image. I recall the first level was Ancient Egypt themed and the sliding puzzle picture is of the Sphinx (I think).
The Learning Company's Ancient Empires (aka Challenge of the Ancient Empires), probably?

atre324

Slayven said:

in addition to Deja Vu, there's also Shadowgate (which is awesome) and Uninvited

mclem

A Black Falcon said:
The Learning Company's Ancient Empires (aka Challenge of the Ancient Empires), probably?

Which if it is, will mark the third or fourth time it's appeared in this thread :)

topramen

THere was a PC game I played as a kid, I just have flashes of memory of it.

There was something about traveling back in time, to help the dinosaurs? I seem to remember it being sprite dinos with 3d walls like in the old doom. I think lava also played a part.

This would have been 1990-1994 timeframe (I think). It kills me that that is all I can remember, but I'm dying to remember the name of the game

SKINNER!

Banned
A Black Falcon said:

My goodness! It is! After 3+ years of searching! Thank you so much :)

and here I thought I was the only one who played it.

mclem said:
Which if it is, will mark the third or fourth time it's appeared in this thread :)

Sorry. :( I'm new to this place and I should've learned by now to go through the whole thread before posting.

Grzi

Didn't want to bump an old thread, so I thought I might use this one to solve my problem.

Can anyone help me identify this game?

xfzbt.jpg

Thanks in advance guys.

Cardigan

Ok folks, this game is totally stumping me. I used to play it back in the early-mid 90's on a Mac. I can't really remember any real goals in the game, but I know that you would attach widgets (or gadgets, can't remember what they were called) together and create electricity and other scientific stuff.
Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Cardigan

Typographenia said:
Cardigan, was it "The Incredible Machine?"

Can't help you out there, Grzi, sorry!
Nope, thanks though! I just found it: it's called "Widget Workshop". Man, I used to have a blast playing that game. You could make some pretty outrageous stuff...

This game was one of the first N64 games shown and it was about giant robots. It never came out in the US. I remember some screens of a robot surrounded by skyscrapers.

Oni Link 666 said:
Hmm. I don't know. What I remember was probably some bullshot. It was looking at the robot from the front. And I think the robot looked like Jeeg or something out of Evangelion.
Evangelion 64 (Japan only release)? The cancelled Robotech: Crystal Dreams?

Momo

Banned
repost

Anyone know the name of a NES game I used to play as a kid?

You could throw a grappling hook diagonally and it would stick to walls and you could climb it, you had throwing knives, a whip(i think) and big rocks/clusterbombs that could destroy walls. The cartridge I had as a kid labeled it as Indiana Jones, but I think that was wrong since I looked up all NES Indiana Jones games and it wasn't amongst them, please halp.

yurinka

A friend told me about a certain block based puzzle for XBLA that is specially good in visual rewards (huge texts for combo, and I gess huge colorful explosions and stuff like that).

The only clue he had was that the 'gravity' makes the pieces to go to the right, instead of to go down as usual.

Do you have any idea of what game is it?

mclem

shorty_symd said:
Sorry. :( I'm new to this place and I should've learned by now to go through the whole thread before posting.

To be fair, with *this* thread, it's quite possible someone else describes it in a different way and so reading through the thread wouldn't actually help anyway.; it's only any use if someone recalls it the same way as you.

Paches

I used to play a game (early-mid 90's) where it had an isometric camera view and you had to solve these floors and you were in a giant skyscraper. It had a lot of black with bright colors. There were like lasers you had to get by and dodge and I think you had a limited amount of shots for your gun to do stuff with.

yurinka said:
A friend told me about a certain block based puzzle for XBLA that is specially good in visual rewards (huge texts for combo, and I gess huge colorful explosions and stuff like that).

The only clue he had was that the 'gravity' makes the pieces to go to the right, instead of to go down as usual.

Do you have any idea of what game is it?

Mhhh, it could be Arkedo series 2 : SWAP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTTbgvF6kTw

Pipomantis said:
Mhhh, it could be Arkedo series 2 : SWAP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTTbgvF6kTw
Except it doesn't have the blocks go from right to left due to gravity. I've been waiting for someone to figure this one out because it's bugging me that I can't think of the game in question and I'm a fairly big fan of the Xbox Live Arcade games. I even went to Xbox.com and sorted by puzzle games and sifted through those and still didn't find anything that fit. The ONLY puzzle game that sounds remotely familiar was the Swirl game on Dreamcast as I recall that condensing the field to the right when gaps were presented.

Heh, obviously this was one I thought about a bit too much upon seeing it despite not being the person that originally posted about it.

Top Bottom