• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

D-Pad

JackFrost said:
Heres a super generic description of a game i cant get outta my head and I hope some1 can help with this god awful description.
1)I believe its snes BUT couldve been nes
2) you crash land on a planet (i believe)
3) Its kind of a sidescroller puzzle iirc (gotta find ways outta rooms/caves with enemies but its definitly not a button masher, i believe figuring out how to get from a-b was harder then the enemies,which you had a pistol to shoot with)
4) The game mostly in a blue blueish tint/colorscheme (at least the few minutes i can remember) and your character is yellow.(the harder I think about it i do think i remember brown rock/caves a little later)

would be cool if someone could pull the answer for this, but im not holding my breath

I know this is probably not the answer, and sorry to get your hopes up, but you just described Metroid.

D-Pad said:
I know this is probably not the answer, and sorry to get your hopes up, but you just described Metroid.

not metroid, though the description does fit.y appreciate it.... i know its a TERRIBLE description and i really wanna say earth is in title but i dont think so......its been driving me nuts for months and im ready to start looking at rom site screenshots and hope something rings a bell

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
JackFrost said:
not metroid, though the description does fit.y appreciate it.... i know its a TERRIBLE description and i really wanna say earth is in title but i dont think so......its been driving me nuts for months and im ready to start looking at rom site screenshots and hope something rings a bell

Was it Flashback? It's mostly about getting from one place to another, but sometimes you shoot guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDEw7rAwPxU

Ketch

Ok here's one.

It was on genesis, around the same time X-men 2 was out. It was a side scrolling adventure/platformer with like futuristic Egyptian motif. One of the beginning levels was like in a forest and there were goldish floating platforms and elevators. Also, you had blue wrist mounted grappling laser you could use to raise or lower yourself. The thing I remember most was the great animation.

Ok here goes.

It's a platformer on the PC with bright cheerful graphics in one world and a creepier atmosphere in a parallel world. The further into the game you get the more unsettling the atmosphere becomes.

Gravijah

TigerUppercut said:
Ok here goes.

It's a platformer on the PC with bright cheerful graphics in one world and a creepier atmosphere in a parallel world. The further into the game you get the more unsettling the atmosphere becomes.

Ah shit, I know what you're talking about but the name escapes me...

mclem

TigerUppercut said:
Ok here goes.

Eversion

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Was it Flashback? It's mostly about getting from one place to another, but sometimes you shoot guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDEw7rAwPxU

I think i love you. no that is not it, BUT looking watching the vid i got a link to another world which IS the game i was looking for(apparently there was rumors it was a sequel/related thats why i got that link)....been driving me nuts....thank you

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Oh man I got one I can't remember. I'm pretty sure it was a Sega Genesis game, I remember it was a top down view like Ikari Warriors. You had to move across the map and kill a bunch of bad guys to get to the end of the map. I remember there were little stone statues of heroes you could "rescue" by touching them, then that hero would be added to your roster. The hero types were all over the place, you had guys with spears, rocks, lasers, machine guns, rocket launchers, magic. If you died in the field the next hero on your roster would take his place. It was two player cause my buddy and I would play at the same time.

thefil

I can't remember the name of this old PC adventure; it may have been some trash that nobody ever played except for me and my dad. Basically you're in this semi-ancient seeming frozen world, and there's this big citadel that you start in. There's a basement to it. Oh and the world has dinosaurs.

It's not much to go on, but it's all I remember.

mclem

Mattdaddy said:
Oh man I got one I can't remember. I'm pretty sure it was a Sega Genesis game, I remember it was a top down view like Ikari Warriors. You had to move across the map and kill a bunch of bad guys to get to the end of the map. I remember there were little stone statues of heroes you could "rescue" by touching them, then that hero would be added to your roster. The hero types were all over the place, you had guys with spears, rocks, lasers, machine guns, rocket launchers, magic. If you died in the field the next hero on your roster would take his place. It was two player cause my buddy and I would play at the same time.

Amusingly, this is mentioned just a thread or two thataway. I'm pretty sure it's Gain Ground.

luvcraft

Neo Member
Mattdaddy said:

sounds kinda like Time Soldiers.

Bukana

Guys please,

I am trying to remember a SEGA Genesis game.

It's a game where you are a tank and you are trying to protecting a METAL EAGLE.

Can anyone tell me the name of this game !?

ManeKast

Trying to remember an arcade game where you play an army guy with a dagger as the main weapon (there was possibly another but only recall the dagger/army knife) 2D side scroller and you could duck and knife the enemy, I recall dogs being in it and it having only one 2d plane to walk on.

Edit: circa 1990

ManeKast said:
Trying to remember an arcade game where you play an army guy with a dagger as the main weapon (there was possibly another but only recall the dagger/army knife) 2D side scroller and you could duck and knife the enemy, I recall dogs being in it and it having only one 2d plane to walk on.

Edit: circa 1990

rushn attack???

DeadTrees

Bukana said:
Guys please,

It's a game where you are a tank and you are trying to protecting a METAL EAGLE.

What year? Which country? Sidescroller or overhead?

Clipper

thefil said:
I can't remember the name of this old PC adventure; it may have been some trash that nobody ever played except for me and my dad. Basically you're in this semi-ancient seeming frozen world, and there's this big citadel that you start in. There's a basement to it. Oh and the world has dinosaurs.

It's not much to go on, but it's all I remember.
I'm almost certain this is Lost Eden. It wasn't a bad adventure game at all. I quite enjoyed it. Got a little repetitive, though.

Das-J

Law of the West
Ok - How about this one:

- Apple II game from the late 80's/ early 90's
- Side scrolling flight sim
- World War II Theme
- Took off from carriers and battered various Japanese positions on a series of islands
- Occasionally fought off enemy planes (maybe?)

I played the hell out of it but sure can't remember the name... Who here does?! :)

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Some old educational pc game that had a frog/toad as a space astronaut as the main character. I remember his name was some kind of tadpole pun. As for the game itself the only thing I can remember from it is this colorbook page that you could print out. One of them had hedgehogs that had stuff stuck to their spines such as balloons or food.

Other educational game I'm trying to remember was a very old looking (Apple II macintosh?) game that had robots that went down elevators or something. You did math problems I think.

Non educational game I'm trying to remember is an arcade vertical shooter. It's gotta be before 1999 at least. Not sure if it was 2d or 3d but I remember the background had a grid pattern or something and it had mech robots. I doubt it was Raystorm because that was a japanese only arcade (I think?). It did have similar graphics though.

Not very helpful I know but they were years ago.

EasyTGT said:
Ok here's one.

It was on genesis, around the same time X-men 2 was out. It was a side scrolling adventure/platformer with like futuristic Egyptian motif. One of the beginning levels was like in a forest and there were goldish floating platforms and elevators. Also, you had blue wrist mounted grappling laser you could use to raise or lower yourself. The thing I remember most was the great animation.

Maybe it'll be in this list: http://www.gamefaqs.com/genesis/list-56

Bukana

DeadTrees said:
What year? Which country? Sidescroller or overhead?

I don't know, I think it came out right after Micheal Jackson: MoonWalker.
It's an overhead game. Designed in Japan, I think.

EasyTGT said:
Ok here's one.

Mega Turrican? It sounds a little like Atomic Runner too, but that doesn't have a grappling item like Mega Turrican does. But Atomic Runner does definitely have a 'futuristic Egyptian' stage.

... Ranger-X? Look at that one too.
Osaka said:
I posted a new thread for the game I'm looking, I didn't realize there was a thread like this.

Anyway, I played this game on the PC in the late 90's, I think.

- Futuristic Racing game
- 3D graphics
- Unique drivers and their personal vehicles (some dont even look like cars or anything nor had wheels, one I think was 1 giant wheel with the cockpit in the centre.)
- Weapons & powerups
- Some sort of career mode I think
- Camera was behind the player's vehicle.
- At least some tracks were Wipeout/F-zero/Trackmania-ish, with bunch of tracks going through the air and maybe loops and some other shit. The levels were different planets, maybe.
Star Wars Episode I Racer would be my guess. Many of those points apply to a lot of games in the genre, but the "car like a wheel" one's almost definitely in Episode I Racer. Perhaps it could be something else, but it could be that one anyway.

Bukana said:
Guys please,

Yeah, is it sidescrolling or topdown? If topdown, Granada maybe? Not sure.

$200

Banned
Bukana said:
Guys please,

Battle City? Not sure if it was on Genesis though

elfinke

I've got a couple that have bugged me for some time. I apologise for bombarding you guys with the following!

They are all Commodore 64 games, so dust off that part of your cortex!

I cannot for the life of me remember the name of this game, despite it being one of my most played C64 games of all time (along with the game actually called, Mothership)!

- You control a ship at the bottom of the screen, ala Space Invaders. I don't think you could move away from the y axis, but I'm not certain about this.
- There is a 'mothership' in the middle of the screen, that I'm sure had an alien or two in the 'cockpit' that you could see controlling the ship, sorta. It also had a laser built into the bottom of the middle of the ship (I think). The 'mothership' may have been blue and red.
- Little white ships would appear out of the top left corner to attack you.
- You destroyed the 'mothership' by shooting the weak spots on either side of the laser, and eventually nailing the alien. The game sped up, I tihnk after successfully destroying the mothership.
Cyberzone!! Thanks eso

The next is an isometric puzzle adventure game. I remember it being very yellow, and I swear it used John Mellencamp's 'Jack and Diane' as the theme song. Fairlight!! Many many thank mclem.
lol @ my theme song memory

Another was a '3d' first person game. It took place in and around a castle, on a stormy night. That's all I've got I'm afraid. I remember being frightened by this game as kid, and not ever getting that far in it. Castel Master! Thanks KenOD

Final C64 game that I can't remember; a 2d sidescrolling puzzle game. You played as a wizard, and I feel as though there was an element of time travel involved in it, though that may be a furphy. I vaguely remember screens of the game, but not in any meaningful way. Many thanks eso

Show me whatcha got 1980'a GAF! I would be extremely grateful for any info pertaining to these games.

Help me out here. I really have no desire to play the game again, but I've been struggling to remember the name or even find the game in database searches, just for the sake of doing so. It bugs me that there's a game out there I used to own (it was a gift) that I can't remember the name of.

- PS1 game.
- Some "futuristic" sled racing game. Like a bad Wipeout ripoff.
- I got it in 1996, so I assume it was released around then. It was a fairly early PS1 game.

THE KEY
- Had these really awful "commercials from the future" in it. Just lame, early 32-bit era CG. Terrible, and I'd love to be able to search them up if I could remember the name of the game.

Celine

Osaka said:
I posted a new thread for the game I'm looking, I didn't realize there was a thread like this.

Anyway, I played this game on the PC in the late 90's, I think.

- Futuristic Racing game
- 3D graphics
- Unique drivers and their personal vehicles (some dont even look like cars or anything nor had wheels, one I think was 1 giant wheel with the cockpit in the centre.)
- Weapons & powerups
- Some sort of career mode I think
- Camera was behind the player's vehicle.
- At least some tracks were Wipeout/F-zero/Trackmania-ish, with bunch of tracks going through the air and maybe loops and some other shit. The levels were different planets, maybe.
Dethkarz ?
http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/dethkarz/screenshots

Das-J said:
Ok - How about this one:

- World War II Theme
- Took off from carriers and battered various Japanese positions on a series of islands

I played the hell out of it but sure can't remember the name... Who here does?! :)

Wings of Fury? Played the Amiga version a lot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuWGCzFASec

RustyO

Das-J said:
Ok - How about this one:

- World War II Theme

Wings of Fury.

Used to LOVE that on the Amiga 500... apart from that one level with the invisible destroyer, that was impossible to sink...

adamma666

elfinke said:
The next is an isometric puzzle adventure game. I remember it being very yellow, and I swear it used John Mellencamp's 'Jack and Diane' as the theme song.

head_over_heels_screenshot.jpg

Head over Heels?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65PGGzIPM3A

eso76

elfinke said:
Final C64 game that I can't remember; a 2d sidescrolling puzzle game. You played as a wizard, and I feel as though there was an element of time travel involved in it, though that may be a furphy. I vaguely remember screens of the game, but not in any meaningful way.

not time tunnel is it ?
there's a wizard and time travel, but no scrolling (and technically it's not 2d)

26908-126996-timetunnel01gif-620x.jpg

elfinke

eso76 said:
not time tunnel is it ?
there's a wizard and time travel, but no scrolling (and technically it's not 2d)

26908-126996-timetunnel01gif-620x.jpg
You da man! Yeah I knew my description was not correct, but hoped it would get the idea across! This is it. So good. I lived the hell out of this game.

Adamma666 - close, but I don't think that was it. The style is certainly correct though. I feel as though there was something to do with a brother and daughter entwined in the story line perhaps?

Thanks for your help so far everyone, so much closure :)

mclem

elfinke said:
You da man! Yeah I knew my description was not correct, but hoped it would get the idea across! This is it. So good. I lived the hell out of this game.

Adamma666 - close, but I don't think that was it. The style is certainly correct though. I feel as though there was something to do with a brother and daughter entwined in the story line perhaps?

Not sure which of those came out on the C64, and there may be ones unique to the C64 I've not listed, but here's something to be going on with:

Isometric platformers from that era:

Ritman/Drummond:
Batman
Head over Heels

Ultimate:
Knight Lore
Alien 8
Pentagram

Other:
Ant Attack (This is the most "Boy separated from Girl" one I can think of)
Sweevo's World(/Whirled)
Hydrofool
M.O.V.I.E.
Phantom Club
Fairlight (and II)
The Great Escape
Where Time Stood Still

eso76

mclem said:
Not sure which of those came out on the C64, and there may be ones unique to the C64 I've not listed, but here's something to be going on with:

also:

Greyfell:legend of norman
Molecule man

unless it's not quite isometric and it's actually
Rocky horror picture show

or unless it's not isometric at all and it's
Olli & Lissa ? no idea

mclem

eso76 said:
Molecule man

It's been a while, but I don't recall any platforming in Molecule Man; I only remember it being a maze presented isometrically.

Having said that, I'm only assuming platforming because of the cited similarity to Head Over Heels, from a screenshot that clearly showed Head's exercise ladder.

Throavium

Game for the PC, A first person shooter, with cartoon like graphics, you're a guy in an astronaut suit who kills monsters made out what appears to be green slime.

elfinke

mclem said:

Isometric platformers from that era:

Ritman/Drummond:
Batman
Head over Heels

Ultimate:
Knight Lore
Alien 8
Pentagram

Other:
Ant Attack (This is the most "Boy separated from Girl" one I can think of)
Sweevo's World(/Whirled)
Hydrofool
M.O.V.I.E.
Phantom Club
Fairlight (and II)
The Great Escape
Where Time Stood Still
Fairlight!! Holy shit, the theme song come flooding back in a massive nostalgia hit that damn near floored me.

You guys are gooooooooood. 3 down, 1 to go.

Throavium said:
Game for the PC, A first person shooter, with cartoon like graphics, you're a guy in an astronaut suit who kills monsters made out what appears to be green slime.

Chex Quest? Never played it, but from the pics I saw the enemies do look like green slime.

eso76

elfinke said:
Fairlight!! Holy shit, the theme song come flooding back in a massive nostalgia hit that damn near floored me.

You guys are gooooooooood. 3 down, 1 to go.

the last one on your list is very hard to guess, though.
The description you gave is very detailed, but still there's probably 3 dozens games like that on C64, so if there's anything else you remember...

EDIT:

Actually, screw what i just said, i'm pretty sure you're talking about

Cyberzone

Cyberzone.png

Top Bottom