• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

Throavium

Game on the PlayStation, you play as a kid in a red shirt with a red hat, that he had on backwards, and you fought enemies with a water bubble gun.

eso76

Throavium said:
Game on the PlayStation, you play as a kid in a red shirt with a red hat, that he had on backwards, and you fought enemies with a water bubble gun.

rascal, or rascals by psygnosis

Platy

KPJZKC said:
Was it Magic: The Gathering? The first one, by microprose? Will look for a screenshot!

From what i understood, you don't battle with cards.

Cards worked more like .... Ragnarok Online's Cards .

They just enhance the damage against certain enemies or something like that.
It was a completly normal rpg "like lunar" she said

edit : ...it was probably a lunar game ...

eso76

strideramc said:
Ok, this might be a tough one cause I don't remember a lot.

The game is a 2D side scroller similar to Ghosts and Goblins.
You are a zelda like character, I think he even wore a green tunic.
You're main form of attack was an arching fireball.

Other then that I don't remember much. I was pretty young when my brother and I used to play this at the local pizza place. I know it's not Magician Lord.

legend of hero tonma
pretty sure because of the arching fireball

Osaka said:
I posted a new thread for the game I'm looking, I didn't realize there was a thread like this.

Anyway, I played this game on the PC in the late 90's, I think.

- Futuristic Racing game
- 3D graphics
- Unique drivers and their personal vehicles (some dont even look like cars or anything nor had wheels, one I think was 1 giant wheel with the cockpit in the centre.)
- Weapons & powerups
- Some sort of career mode I think
- Camera was behind the player's vehicle.
- At least some tracks were Wipeout/F-zero/Trackmania-ish, with bunch of tracks going through the air and maybe loops and some other shit. The levels were different planets, maybe.
Sounds like a Twisted Metal ripoff or actually is Tm.

bender

What time is it?
2-D versus fighter in arcades around '92-96 featuring gladiators who's armor would come off as they took more and more damage. I don't really remember much else about the game. Any help would be appreciated. :)

eso76

bender said:
2-D versus fighter in arcades around '92-96 featuring gladiators who's armor would come off as they took more and more damage. I don't really remember much else about the game. Any help would be appreciated. :)

does it have scrolling stages with stuff thrown at you and traps besides 1 on 1 fights ? in this case it's Taito's Gladiator.

if it's strictly versus a' la SF2 then it's probably Blandia, also by Taito. Actually, one of the characters in Blandia is Guaranos, Gladiator's main character (Gladiator's name for Europe was actually The Great Guaranos)

I had an old PC game that I keep trying to remember what it was called. It was a turn based board game in which you went around the board, had to get a job, work your way through trade school or college, and each place was mockeries of real places (ie i believe they had a WacDonalds and other parodies like that). This must have been back in the early 90s. Any old schoolers remember the name of this game?

bender said:

Probably Blandia.

Edit: Beaten

strideramc

Dr Zhivago said:
Wardner?
Wardner%20%282%29.gif

That's it! Man, that was fast.

Osaka said:
I posted a new thread for the game I'm looking, I didn't realize there was a thread like this.

Anyway, I played this game on the PC in the late 90's, I think.

- Futuristic Racing game
- 3D graphics
- Unique drivers and their personal vehicles (some dont even look like cars or anything nor had wheels, one I think was 1 giant wheel with the cockpit in the centre.)
- Weapons & powerups
- Some sort of career mode I think
- Camera was behind the player's vehicle.
- At least some tracks were Wipeout/F-zero/Trackmania-ish, with bunch of tracks going through the air and maybe loops and some other shit. The levels were different planets, maybe.
Hi-Octane?

Platy said:
From what i understood, you don't battle with cards.

Cards worked more like .... Ragnarok Online's Cards .

They just enhance the damage against certain enemies or something like that.
It was a completly normal rpg "like lunar" she said

edit : ...it was probably a lunar game ...

Sounds a little like Septerra Core, but that's one of Monolith's PC oddities.

mclem

KingOfKong said:
I had an old PC game that I keep trying to remember what it was called. It was a turn based board game in which you went around the board, had to get a job, work your way through trade school or college, and each place was mockeries of real places (ie i believe they had a WacDonalds and other parodies like that). This must have been back in the early 90s. Any old schoolers remember the name of this game?

I suspect it was Jones In The Fast Lane.

RustyO

KingOfKong said:

Jones in the Fast Lane

Edit: Beaten, but this was it. Used to play it a fair bit when I was a young, ah halcyon days...

ReBurn

Gold Member
I remember an arcade game from when I was young where you were a robber running from the police. Everyone was in cars and the cars looked like little roller skates or something and you drove around the maze picking up little dollar bills. What I remember the most is the voice of the police dispatcher looping over and over.

It was a lot of fun.

mclem

ReBurn said:
I remember an arcade game from when I was young where you were a robber running from the police. Everyone was in cars and the cars looked like little roller skates or something and you drove around the maze picking up little dollar bills. What I remember the most is the voice of the police dispatcher looping over and over.

It was a lot of fun.

I think these might be too old - they're earlier than I'd expect for voice - but other than that Route 16 or Armored Car *might* fit the bill.

Cwarrior

I remember playing a gameboy b/w game with a boy riding a dinosaur,it was a platformer with different dinosaurs have different abilitys.

by the dinosaur walked straight up on two legs

Teppic

Cwarrior said:
I remember playing a gameboy b/w game with a boy riding a dinosaur,it was a platformer with different dinosaurs have different abilitys.

by the dinosaur walked straight up on two legs
One of the Adventure Island games?

eso76

Ok, my turn asking questions !

I keep forgetting the name of a C64 game.
I'm sure it's rather famous.
Side view, you control a huge yellow/green dragon (taking up a good portion of the screen) which could fly or walk on the ground. Game takes place at night, you generally fly over the sea, inside caves, over villages etc.
You could fly left or right, i don't really know what the purpose was except for flaming people and spiders inside caves.

Title song is very popular, remixes of it were used by several hackers on Amiga and later.

distrbnce

Banned
There was a game I played on some IBM computer I had as a child in like 89.

You were piloting a starfighter of some sort, and could only see from cockpit view. It was all pretty much just wireframe-type lines. I remember some things that I've subsequently thought likened it to a star wars game at the same time...

1. when you started the game, you would fly out of a tunnel of some sort

2. when you fired lasers, they would fire from alternating corners like an x-wing

but what I haven't seen from that star wars game that happened in this one was that you would come up to planets (see a large horizon of a planet at the bottom of the screen) and you could land on them.

Generally, I would land and nothing would happen. You would just kinda see the landscape of the planet in front of the ship.

But I remember one time landing and seeing an alien off in the distance. There were several shots of it slowly getting closer, and I think I opened my spaceship door or something and then it's face took up the screen. I shat.

Do I really remember this or was it only a fever dream of my childhood?

This has been bugging me forever but I've never posted because the details are very vague but I've gotta ask.

- 99% sure it's a game for the Sega Master System
- There are platforms (don't think it's an adventure platform game though) at some point or all the time they were ice-block platforms you jump around on
- Fairly sure you could play 2-players
- Seem to remember penguins being in it

e: Actually, looks like the game was Penguin Land. My memory didn't fail me all that much! Played it at a friend's house when I was really young.

eso76 said:
Ok, my turn asking questions !

I keep forgetting the name of a C64 game.
I'm sure it's rather famous.
Side view, you control a huge yellow/green dragon (taking up a good portion of the screen) which could fly or walk on the ground. Game takes place at night, you generally fly over the sea, inside caves, over villages etc.
You could fly left or right, i don't really know what the purpose was except for flaming people and spiders inside caves.

Title song is very popular, remixes of it were used by several hackers on Amiga and later.

Thanatos?
Thanatos_ingame.gif

Grisby

Alright. Let's do this.

There's been a game name bugging me for the last few weeks. It was a FPS on the PS2 The game reminded me of a bond type adventure. In fact, the main guy seemed to be from one of the MI4 deals or whatever.

Seemingly, it like the developers couldn't get the bond rights to the game and had to change the characters name. The game was a pretty decent shooter and a fun ride. If anyone brings up the name feel free to also track it down.

eso76

Dr Zhivago said:
Thanatos?
Thanatos_ingame.gif

YEEEEEES
i will write down the name on a paper and keep it in my wallet.
For some reason I keep remembering and forgetting the name, it bugs me because it never happened to me with any other game

adamma666

Grisby said:
Alright. Let's do this.

There's been a game name bugging me for the last few weeks. It was a FPS on the PS2 The game reminded me of a bond type adventure. In fact, the main guy seemed to be from one of the MI4 deals or whatever.

Seemingly, it like the developers couldn't get the bond rights to the game and had to change the characters name. The game was a pretty decent shooter and a fun ride. If anyone brings up the name feel free to also track it down.

Cold Winter?

"In Cold Winter you play as Andrew Sterling, a former agent of MI6, the British secret intelligence agency"

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/coldwinter/review.html?tag=tabs;reviews

adamma666

distrbnce said:

You were piloting a starfighter of some sort, and could only see from cockpit view. It was all pretty much just wireframe-type lines. I remember some things that I've subsequently thought likened it to a star wars game at the same time...

2. when you fired lasers, they would fire from alternating corners like an x-wing

but what I haven't seen from that star wars game that happened in this one was that you would come up to planets (see a large horizon of a planet at the bottom of the screen) and you could land on them.

Generally, I would land and nothing would happen. You would just kinda see the landscape of the planet in front of the ship.

But I remember one time landing and seeing an alien off in the distance. There were several shots of it slowly getting closer, and I think I opened my spaceship door or something and then it's face took up the screen. I shat.

Captain Blood maybe?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Blood_(video_game)

scroll down for some screens there.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
distrbnce said:

Rescue on Fractalus?

3du74ho

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
That streets of rage thread reminded me of another beat 'em up.

It was on the SNES, there was a Japanese and US release.
US release had a different name, but you could access the Japanese version with a code. The Jap vers. was much better.
Made by...Natsume? That I'm not entirely sure of.

Celine

Kuro Madoushi said:

US release had a different name, but you could access the Japanese version with a code. The Jap vers. was much better.
Ninja Warrior Again ?

eso76

Kuro Madoushi said:

rushing beat? that was by jaleco, actually, while ninja warriors again was indeed by natsume, but wasnt really like sor /dd

rushing beat was a pretty good series too

Kuro Madoushi said:

That would be Brawl Brothers/Rushing Beat Ran

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
AHHH!

Yeah I was thinking of Brawl Brothers/Rushing Beat!

I remember having a lot of fun with it. I always played the Japanese vers. with the code since I liked the changes more.

Not entirely sure how it stacks up to Streets of Rage, but I always had more fun with it than Final Fight.

Bukana

I am trying to remember a SEGA Genesis game.

It's a game where you are a tank and you are trying to protecting a METAL EAGLE.

Can anyone tell me the name of this game !?

TL4E

It was one of the first video games I played. It was on a non Nintendo/Sony/Sega system. You played a guy on a bicycle, throwing newspapers at peoples' yards. After going through a pretty long stretch of road, you enter a field-like area. That's all I remember.

Actually, I'm not even sure if you delivered newspapers, but for some odd reason my brain insists that that is indeed the case.

TL4E said:
It was one of the first video games I played. It was on a non Nintendo/Sony/Sega system. You played a guy on a bicycle, throwing newspapers at peoples' yards. After going through a pretty long stretch of road, you enter a field-like area. That's all I remember.

Actually, I'm not even sure if you delivered newspapers, but for some odd reason my brain insists that that is indeed the case.

paperboy?

TL4E

JackFrost said:
paperboy?
Oh wow, that's definitely it now that I look at a Youtube video. Thank you sir for restoring a part of my childhood.

For such a generic title, it seems odd that this is the first time I've re-encountered it.

There's this NES game I remember loving at the time. I think you play as some sort of mech or robot from the future in a tiled overhead 2D view like Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow. One of the main things you did was to break open boulders (which were everywhere) in order to:

1) Carve out a path for yourself
2) Find items / weapons / digging upgrades / secrets
3) Find doors to boss rooms / underground "shortcuts"

There were also bits where you went underground and everything would be black except for the enemies, your own sprite and the sprite for the stairs. These seemed to serve as shortcuts for the level.

I remember one of the bosses was a lion or had statues of lions in the room. Don't know if that'll help.

Remember, everything was in tiled overhead view.

Don't know if anyone can help.

TL4E said:
Oh wow, that's definitely it now that I look at a Youtube video. Thank you sir for restoring a part of my childhood.

For such a generic title, it seems odd that this is the first time I've re-encountered it.

not a problem...It was a great arcade game....had handlebars and everything, i do believe it made its way to most consoles so you shouldnt ever have a problem finding it if you ever in a nostalgia type of mood.

Heres a super generic description of a game i cant get outta my head and I hope some1 can help with this god awful description.
1)I believe its snes BUT couldve been nes
2) you crash land on a planet (i believe)
3) Its kind of a sidescroller puzzle iirc (gotta find ways outta rooms/caves with enemies but its definitly not a button masher, i believe figuring out how to get from a-b was harder then the enemies,which you had a pistol to shoot with)
4) The game mostly in a blue blueish tint/colorscheme (at least the few minutes i can remember) and your character is yellow.(the harder I think about it i do think i remember brown rock/caves a little later)

would be cool if someone could pull the answer for this, but im not holding my breath

DeadTrees

viciouskillersquirrel said:
There's this NES game I remember loving at the time. I think you play as some sort of mech or robot from the future in a tiled overhead 2D view like Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow. One of the main things you did was to break open boulders (which were everywhere) in order to:

1) Carve out a path for yourself
2) Find items / weapons / digging upgrades / secrets
3) Find doors to boss rooms / underground "shortcuts"

There were also bits where you went underground and everything would be black except for the enemies, your own sprite and the sprite for the stairs. These seemed to serve as shortcuts for the level.

I remember one of the bosses was a lion or had statues of lions in the room. Don't know if that'll help.

Remember, everything was in tiled overhead view.

Don't know if anyone can help.
Robowarrior.

eso76

Kuro Madoushi said:
AHHH!

Yeah I was thinking of Brawl Brothers/Rushing Beat!

I remember having a lot of fun with it. I always played the Japanese vers. with the code since I liked the changes more.

Not entirely sure how it stacks up to Streets of Rage, but I always had more fun with it than Final Fight.

I always thought FF was way overrated and I too had a lot more fun with Rushing Beat Ran; much more variety, more interaction with scenery, more diversity.
Rushing Beat Shura, the third in the series, was a very complete and great looking beat em up, you should check it out if you haven't already.

Top Bottom