• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop Arkham knight exclusive: playable red hood (Jason Todd)

this is my most anticipated video game

having said that, i'm ok with never getting to play this

Feel exact same way. There is one person I want to play in a Batman game, and that's fucking Batman. Could not give a fuck less about this.

It does make me think Jason is the Arkham Knight even more, though. My random stab in the dark: the mission takes place before the rest of the game and at the end Jason is captured and turned into the Arkham Knight.

That character design looks really ugly to me, idk why.

Wouldn't this also kill all rumors of Arkham Knight being Jason Todd as well?

Pre-order DLC
Gamestop Exclusive

team-america-puking-up-a-storm.gif

atr0cious

That costume's style is from another game altogether. I feel like I:SS guy would wear something like that.

Or maybe it's WB hinting at a The Crow game.

erawsd

That isn't a hood!

I mean, usually there's a production or story reason for things like this. Like the Lone Ranger was actually lonesome before Tonto comes along. Or Masked Rider actually rode motorcycle to transform before the accident happened. Is there any for Red Hood?

Couldn't they think of a less descriptive name that doesn't quite clash? I doubt when Robin was created there was any discussion on whether to call him the Red-Green Suit or not.

Well the moniker originated in the 1950s as the Joker's first gimmick. Back then "hood" was a common way to refer to criminals, so its possible its not really just describing his helmet.

Who the hell is Arkham Knight then?

It's probably still Jason Todd. This will serve as a prequel to AK and we'll see him transition from RH to AK.

Or it's a brand new character that no-one's ever heard of. I'd prefer the latter, but I could see the former happening too.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
That isn't a hood!

I mean, usually there's a production or story reason for things like this. Like the Lone Ranger was actually lonesome before Tonto comes along. Or Masked Rider actually rode motorcycle to transform before the accident happened. Is there any for Red Hood?

Couldn't they think of a less descriptive name that doesn't quite clash? I doubt when Robin was created there was any discussion on whether to call him the Red-Green Suit or not.

It was before the joker revealed himself as the joker

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Whatever GameStop/GAME/whatever paid for this, I hope it's worth however many people will be waiting for Game of the Year Edition instead.

Rubbish design, but then I also wasn't a fan of Arkham City's Red and Green Security Grunt #11 they used for Tim Drake's Robin either.

Well the moniker originated in the 1950s as the Joker's first gimmick. Back then "hood" was a common way to refer to criminals, so its possible its not really just describing his helmet.

Aye, that's exactly it.There was a mysterious hoodlum that was know for wearing red. That's all he was going for when Bill Finger wrote it.

It was a one-off, it was never really supposed to become anything more and especially not a legacy role.

glaurung

Looks cheap and unnecessary. Do not want.

Also lol at 'spot for flaunting this as a major announcement. What are they going to debut next? That their CEO goes to the toilet?

VeeP

Spoiler: Arkham Knight is female. Arkham Knight is actually the Phantasm in disguise. The game will have Bruce Wayne date missions were you date the secret identity of the Phantasm.

GQman2121

Banned
This game is over seven months out. It's way too soon to get excited about pre-ordering deals or DLC.

Do we know if there will be any other retailer exclusive DLC? What if Wal Mart, Target, Best Buy, Fry's, Amazon or whateverthefuck has something of their own?

What we do know is that Game Stop is guaranteed to have the worst price. Hell, you can pre-order the game for $45 at Target right now.

However, the beauty of modern technology is that you can have your exclusive DLC cake, and eat it too. Pre-order at GS, redeem the code on your phone and return the game if you've found a better deal elsewhere. It's that simple.

A dev let slip a while ago that Nightwing is working with Scarecrow... so... if Arkham Knight = Dick Grayson it would be a sort of twist on the whole Red Hood thing. Basically Grayson's own version of Red Hood. Technically a new character. I could only imagine how shitty Batman would feel having to fight both his former partners, damn.

I still prefer the Fight Club theory, that Arkham Knight is actually Batman. Would make sense, thats the kind of shit Scarecrow can do to people.

Oh yeah, and thats a terrible Red Hood design.

God I don't know if that would be genius or ridiculous if it turned out Batman was Dick/Tim/Damien/Terry and AK was a crazed old man Bruce in a power suit.

It would be ridiculous and impossible, the events of A' K' take place just one year after A' City.

I like the new costume of Red Hood but pre-order ? Gamestop/Micromania (in France) exclusive ? No way.

Tizoc

Spoiler: Arkham Knight is female. Arkham Knight is actually the Phantasm in disguise. The game will have Bruce Wayne date missions were you date the secret identity of the Phantasm.

MindBlown.GIF

I need to watch that movie again I loved it as a kid.

Pakoe

Why do they do this? How will fans play all those extras?
Inb4 paid DLC after a few months, no thanks jeff.

Bipa

Banned
Kinda strange that they gave the Joker his big dumb original Red Hood costume in Origins but then turn around and completely redesign the Jason Todd Red Hood.

chaosaeon

That costume's style is from another game altogether. I feel like I:SS guy would wear something like that.

Or maybe it's WB hinting at a The Crow game.

Don't even do that to my feelings. Open world, tons of unique side missions, made by a great dev with smooth, fast traversal animations, and a realistic gothic artstyle ... I would double dip on day one. Now I've gone and crushed my own dreams.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
He looks fat, wtf Rocksteady?

And yeah that pretty much confirms Arkham Knight is NOT Jason Todd.

This retailer bullshit doesn't affect the Steam release, right?

It'll probably only be in the GotY edition. I think the PS3-exclusive Joker stuff never left that platform though.

They have the pc version listed so I'm assuming yes. MK9 (same publisher, WB) had classic costumes for pre order at several different retailers but eventually released them for downlaod (paid I think). Just preorder it off GMG or something and you'll save more money in the long run and just pay for the dlc.

My inclination was to believe that at least for PC, this would be exclusively free when you preorder at Gamestop, rather than exclusively available at Gamestop. Has Steam ever supported retailer exclusive DLC not available on the steam store? I'm not familiar with MK9 but so far as I can see it looks like it was only ever available on Steam as the Komplete Edition.

I loved being able to play as other characters in Arkham City. I probably played the challenge maps more than the singleplayer, but I'd rather not have to shop at Gamestop.

b0bbyJ03

fuck this bullshit! i wasn't planning on preordering from gamestop and i sure as hell am not now. this garbage needs to stop

i'm fine with this. My local Gamestop is great and ive never had an issue with them at all. i buy most of my brand new games from there anyway, for used games, i usually look online

vg260

Retailer-exclusive content needs to go away.
Don't buy these games at these retailers. Better yet, not at all.

i'm fine with this. My local Gamestop is great and ive never had an issue with them at all. i buy most of my brand new games from there anyway, for used games, i usually look online

You're not seeing the bigger picture as to why this is a bad practice for consumers.

Top Bottom