• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop has a 70% trade in deal right now..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thewonandonly

Now this is why I don't go into gamestop a lot anymore :)

I went to gamestop to trade in all my games for the 70% bonus. So first I ask expecting and getting a no if they have farpoint. But instead of saying no this guy says no then goes on a tirade about how he hopes Sony doesn't make anymore so it shows people that they need to pre order for reasons then tells me I'm dumb for expecting them to have some. Well alright haha my bad.

Then I go to plan B and get this game. He looks up and is like are you sure you want to get this game. You have 65 bucks just sitten here and a lot of games are coming out don't you want to devide it and start paying off all the games that are coming out. I say no I need something to play for summer thinking the will be the end. Then his like well are you sure you don't want this game called portal knight it's really good. I say no politely and he ask again saying "your just going to randomly jump into neir but you have someone recommending a great game and your going to say no". Again I politely say no and he says "allrifht man your loss just don't complain to me when you want to return it for like 25% value"

Like damn that is why I hate gamestop. Dude bombarding me with pre order info. Like I love destiny and CoD like most gamers but shit sometimes I want to play a masterpiece and I'm going for the trifecta or quadfecta after beating Zelda, persona 5, then I'm going to finish persona golden and neir :)
Damn this year has been absoulutly bonkers :O

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue

I went to gamestop to trade in all my games for the 70% bonus. So first I ask expecting and getting a no if they have farpoint. But instead of saying no this guy says no then goes on a tirade about how he hopes Sony doesn't make anymore so it shows people that they need to pre order for reasons then tells me I'm dumb for expecting them to have some. Well alright haha my bad.

Then I go to plan B and get this game. He looks up and is like are you sure you want to get this game. You have 65 bucks just sitten here and a lot of games are coming out don't you want to devide it and start paying off all the games that are coming out. I say no I need something to play for summer thinking the will be the end. Then his like well are you sure you don't want this game called portal knight it's really good. I say no politely and he ask again saying "your just going to randomly jump into neir but you have someone recommending a great game and your going to say no". Again I politely say no and he says "allrifht man your loss just don't complain to me when you want to return it for like 25% value"

Like damn that is why I hate gamestop. Dude bombarding me with pre order info. Like I love destiny and CoD like most gamers but shit sometimes I want to play a masterpiece and I'm going for the trifecta or quadfecta after beating Zelda, persona 5, then I'm going to finish persona golden and neir :)

Ask for the name of his DSM so you can report him for harassing you and berating you on your decisions. I'm sure his tune will change pretty quickly. Edit: On a side note, if you actually do it, which I'm not saying you should, you might score a free gift card from the DSM.

Edit: For those asking, ends on July 9th.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Went into "Gamestop" to use this deal.

Traded in six games and got $212.00 in store credit. Used that and bought my son
his brand new PS4 Pro with his lawn mowing money he saves picking up the difference. Hell of a good deal!

Two Gamestop big shots were there. I'm pretty sure one was a District Manager as the poor clerk seemed nervous. When the guy asked if I needed help I said "yeah, I've got six games I want to trade in and buy a new PS4 Pro" and he said "o.k sounds great!" and the District Manager(who was barking orders at staff and setting up displays in store, she had on Gamestop clothes) interrupted me and tried pushing a used PS4 Pro for $379. I said "no thanks, I want factory new" and she told her guy "go get the used PS4 Pro from the back and show him!" I looked at her and then him and said "no, you don't have to go get it, I want a brand new PS4 Pro, forget the used one, ok?!" and the DM just went silent. I know the "up sell" and "push the used stuff" crap goes on at Gamestop but it doesn't mean I have to like it and I'm pretty sure the DM knew I was getting pissed and left it at that.

But yeah, we're ready for Destiny 2 here with our PS4 Pros! :)

No magazine racks were harmed in this encounter

thebigword

Neo Member
I just did this. I traded in 58 games. The most recent being Overwatch since I also have it digital. I had some games going all the way back to Gamecube, OG DS, and Wii. Some games that I thought I wouldn't get a penny for. I got a total of $680 out of it. I plan on putting that towards a console in the future.

hymanator

My son just traded in 60 PS3 games and I felt like strangling him when he showed me the receipt. He only got a nickel for 1/3 of the games and I told him to only trade in games that he would get a fair offer for. He received $180 for 60 games. Here's the list of games he got $0.03 (then boosted to $0.05) for:

Lair
Bulletstorm
Warhawk
Assassins Creed 3
Bionic Commando
Dead Island
Bioshock Infinite
Madden 2009 (understandable for this one)
Killzone 2
Uncharted 1
GTA IV
Gran Turismo 5
La Noire
Rage
Dishonored
Brink
Skyrim
Unreal Tournament III
Dead Space II
GTA IV Episodes
Assassins Creed 2
Uncharted 3

He told me that they didn't disclose the individual values to him and only told him the grand total. If you do trade things in, double-check the individual prices before leaving!

The_Dama

link to promotion anywhere? im trying to show it to coworker

also, if the trade in value says $10 on the website now and i take it to GS, i would $16 in store or is the trade in value up to date?

My son just traded in 60 PS3 games and I felt like strangling him when he showed me the receipt. He only got a nickel for 1/3 of the games and I told him to only trade in games that he would get a fair offer for. He received $180 for 60 games. Here's the list of games he got $0.03 (then boosted to $0.05) for:

Lair
Bulletstorm
Warhawk
Assassins Creed 3
Bionic Commando
Dead Island
Bioshock Infinite
Killzone 2
Uncharted 1
GTA IV
Gran Turismo 5
La Noire
Rage
Dishonored
Brink
Skyrim
Unreal Tournament III
Dead Space II
GTA IV Episodes
Assassins Creed 2
Uncharted 3

He told me that they didn't disclose the individual values to him and only told him the grand total. If you do trade things in, double-check the individual prices before leaving!

That's just nuts. He was better off just keeping those games or donating them to the goodwill.

I'm surprised so many gaffers choose to trade in their old games.
When the gen started I was trying to keep em all "because I'd go back to them" but honestly trading them in if you aren't playing them (unless it becomes a favorite) ends up being worth it

I've been recycling games and credit through Best Buy this year and it's worked out like I'm paying $15 for most new games

I've been considering trying out this promotion but can't say I really have anything I'm dying to get rid of. Might clear out some Wii U games though, since the system is collecting dust for me at this point

When the gen started I was trying to keep em all "because I'd go back to them" but honestly trading them in if you aren't playing them (unless it becomes a favorite) ends up being worth it

I've been recycling games and credit through Best Buy this year and it's worked out like I'm paying $15 for most new games

I've been considering trying out this promotion but can't say I really have anything I'm dying to get rid of. Might clear out some Wii U games though, since the system is collecting dust for me at this point

I understand but when I look back in the last 20 years, I've traded in some games that I wish I still had. In fact, it costs more to replace some of those games now compared to the credit I got when trading them in. I've been tempted to trade in a few of my Wii U games since they hold their trade value well but I'm sure I'm going to end up regretting it in 2-3 years. I do understand why someone would constantly trade in their old games especially if they are trying to get the new games on release date.

nillapuddin

So the games I want to sell are valued at 34~ bucks but with the 70% bonus they will be 58~

Yeah, I'll clean out the closet for some Xbox wallet cash.

Darklor01

Hauled off with $368 in credit even after needing to sign up for Pro Rewards to gain the additional 10%. I think after paying the $15, it still increased the trade-in by $8 over the total at 60% trade-in. Not bad for games I'm never playing again or that were collecting dust. So, yeah, that XBOX One X is as good as bought. Keep in mind that I think when you buy items using Trade-in credit, it wipes sales tax off of the item you are buying, so, where I live, that's about $30 in tax saved.

sonto340

I understand but when I look back in the last 20 years, I've traded in some games that I wish I still had. In fact, it costs more to replace some of those games now compared to the credit I got when trading them in. I've been tempted to trade in a few of my Wii U games since they hold their trade value well but I'm sure I'm going to end up regretting it in 2-3 years. I do understand why someone would constantly trade in their old games especially if they are trying to get the new games on release date.
This is why I purchase games I know I won't want to trade in digital so I'm not tempted to. I'm weak.

Is this still ongoing? I'm thinking of trading in my PS4 towards a Pro.

EDIT: nvm I saw an earlier post saying this will be around til July 9th.

I'm surprised so many gaffers choose to trade in their old games.

Im married,have a child, and other things to do. I'd love to replay all the games but its just not possible and if it isn't memorable enough to keep and replay. Probably not worth keeping in my collection.

harSon

Banned
Make sure to sign up for a Power Up Rewards card if you're trading in a bunch of stuff. The $15 signup fee will likely be subsidized and more by the increase in trade value you're getting.

emag

Lair
Bulletstorm
Warhawk
Assassins Creed 3
Bionic Commando
Dead Island
Bioshock Infinite
Killzone 2
Uncharted 1
GTA IV
Gran Turismo 5
La Noire
Rage
Dishonored
Brink
Skyrim
Unreal Tournament III
Dead Space II
GTA IV Episodes
Assassins Creed 2
Uncharted 3

If it makes you feel better, know that GameStop assuredly lost money on those trades. Honestly, they're just going to end up in a landfill, unsold and unplayed, as there's a huge oversupply and negligible demand for each of those.

Darklor01

Looks like 100+25 extra so 125. Probably wait for a better deal. I got 200 for OG PS4 trading towards another system offer awhile back. Might come back

I'd wait for a trade in system towards XBOX One X (or other system) trade bonus promo. If your gunning for a One X, I should think that will happen like it has in the past for other systems coming out.

Zen Aku

I wonder how much does Persona 5 takes in right now with 70% I barely started it and u can always rebuy later when it drop to $25. Just don't have time to play it right now.

HCgamer

I traded in games that had been sitting in my closet unplayed for years

secret of evermore snes $25.50
mega man 2 nes $13.60
mario kart 64 glad to be rid of it sucky game $34
super mario all stars world snes $34
sonic's ultimate genesis collection ps3 $6.80
resident evil gamecube $11.90

I almost traded in zelda breath of the wild wii u, mario kart 8 wii u, ultimate marvel vs capcom 3 vita my sister is playing through zelda and I like having three zelda games on one console $51 trade in is terrific still considering it. I want a switch I have many genesis games with excellent trade values I can pay off a switch by trading them in I can't bring myself to part with them. The employee opened up my retro carts inspected them to make sure they were authentic.

Darklor01

I wonder how much does Persona 5 takes in right now with 70% I barely started it and u can always rebuy later when it drop to $25. Just don't have time to play it right now.

I'd look it up using their app, but the search is down, but yeah, 70% is only if you trade with 5 other games and have Pro Rewards.

Is now a good time to trade in a 360 and Wii, or is there a chance for a deal later on? I know this is a deal specifically for games, but just thinking about getting it out of the way now.

Phew now I remember why I moved on to BB GCU..Walked out with $125 in credit..I renewed my power up membership and as a courtesy is scanned in $5 extra dollars towards my trade in credit!

Is now a good time to trade in a 360 and Wii, or is there a chance for a deal later on? I know this is a deal specifically for games, but just thinking about getting it out of the way now.

you'd get $30 for a wii with a m+ controller, $30-45 for the 360 depending on the HD size. If you activate a PUR Pro first for $15 you maaaay get a receipt printout with a coupon for $15 extra per console you trade in, all current PUR Pro members have it in their active offers but ymmv on whether you will get it at renewal or not (I did for what its worth last week when I renewed).

So basically spend $15, and get back an extra either $0 or $30 on your next transaction, its a gamble. Otherwise you are getting $60-75 on the two consoles.

gamestop will require the various cables (power, TV) and controllers (first party, no third party) and they usually boot up the system to make sure it works and goes online and stuff, so could take a lot of time. not sure about wii. They will also charge refurb fees if there are obvious defects.

Battlefield 1
Mafia 3
Mortal kombat x
Driveclub
Infamous second son
Maddien 17
Injustice 2

Traded in these games and got 132. Decent prices for them all

low-G

Yeah the staff at the Gamestop I went to was terrible too. Lethargically slow. Not helpful. All into Steam credit so I never have to go back.

Current gen or any games at all(I got a lot of ps3 and 360 games I can offload)? I didn't see this in the OP, so i'm asking here.

It counted towards some extra SNES and N64 titles I wanted to get rid of so it should count. You can go in and tell the clerk to try it.

Nevermind. Thanks. I got a shit ton of xbox games I can get rid of.

Phew now I remember why I moved on to BB GCU..Walked out with $125 in credit..I renewed my power up membership and as a courtesy is scanned in $5 extra dollars towards my trade in credit!

I told myself I was never going to trade in. But cave in and went trade in couple of old games I will never play lol. Dude said it would only cost me 3 dollar to renew. He seriously thought i was dumb as if I didn't know about the additional 10% if I was a pro member. Left with 150 in Amazon gc fuck gamestop

I told myself I was never going to trade in. But cave in and went trade in couple of old games I will never play lol. Dude said it would only cost me 3 dollar to renew. He seriously thought i was dumb as if I didn't know about the additional 10% if I was a pro member. Left with 150 in Amazon gc fuck gamestop

Yea Im not going to a let a bunch of games lay around and not be played ever again, id rather get credit towards new games or a gift card. Wait can you use your store credit to buy amazon gc still, or have they changed it? I remember trading in my Wii U a few years back, and just buying amazon gc with the credit I received.

Yea Im not going to a let a bunch of games lay around and not be played ever again, id rather get credit towards new games or a gift card. Wait can you use your store credit to buy amazon gc still, or have they changed it? I remember trading in my Wii U a few years back, and just buying amazon gc with the credit I received.

They don't sell Amazon GC anymore

mrk8885

Banned
I generally dont trade in because of how much less you get than you paid (yes, i know, if you dont use it why bother keeping it) on the off chance that maybe some day in the future ill wanna play it once.

but at least with this promotion, i was able to gather a bunch of games i absolutely wouldnt play again since I owned ps4 remasters of them. kingdom hearts, lego harry potter, etc. and some older wwe games. the only one i actually felt about was titanfall 2...but it just didnt grab me and i knew i wasnt gonna touch it again.

ended up with $90. better than collecting dust.

now trading hardware, thats where i say no way.

Waiting until Friday for that Nintendo bump for the end of the month. Anybody else?

Probably gonna be trading these in:
Yoshi's Woolly World
Pokken
Blops2 Wii U
NSMBU
Hyrule Warriors
Zero Time Dilemma 3DS
BOTW Switch
MK8D
Arms

I should be making money from those last 3 switch games since I bought them with GCU.

Yeah, my experience was mild compared to some of you guys. I had already dumped some trade credit into steam wallet last week, so I really just bought a $20 one to see if it stacked with that deal (it didn't). Manager, who I've had experiences before trying to push used games on me when I've asked for new, kept trying to push preorders on me and that I was nuts for leaving $110 "just lying there" on a gift card. He also has that sarcastic "well ok your loss" kind of attitude. Huge contrast to the assistant manager at the same store who helped me a few days earlier who helped me out without trying to push stuff on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom