• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop Says The Last Guardian Calls Made in Error

RaijinFY

So have Sony wait for it to be in production for 8 years? Given the amount of copies Team Ico games sale this thing likely won't make it's money back as it is.

Adding development time and resources so they could upgrade to PS4 level would be insanity.

Technically speaking, there is absolutely no way this game can be ported on a portable system. It needs a more powerful system to be handled correctly as i suspect the major issue with this game is the technical side of it.

Salaadin

is he working on this or not.... no Ueda no buy.

Under contract to finish the game if it still exists.

Didn't they also say he didn't leave Team ICO and then two weeks later it was "ACTUALLY, ITS TRUE."?
Im not sure that they said anything official about Ueda until they confirmed his departure a few weeks after the rumor. We all pretty much assumed he was gone because of their silence.

Beth Cyra

They only said "Sony doesn't comment on rumors or speculation". Which is the industry way of saying "Yes, but we can't confirm it right now".

Yeah, I don't remember them saying a direct no about either Director or Producer.

Though to be fair, we don't have to look very far to find them saying no about something and then a week later it proving to be true.

PSP Redesign and PS3 price drops happened with in days of each other if I remember right.

Wazzim

Banned
i hope gearbox can finish it some day

OMG
r57SC.gif
r57SC.gif
r57SC.gif

Derrick01

Banned
GT5 also uses assets from GT4. 6 years of dev to only have majority of the cars be from GT4. lol

oh yeah I forgot about that, I remember now checking the gaf thread and seeing the outrage. I think it was the non premium cars (like 800 or so of them) were GT4 models and they looked hideous in screenshots. Man what a mess.

Beth Cyra

Technically speaking, there is absolutely no way this game can be ported on a portable system. It needs a more powerful system to be handled correctly as i suspect the major issue with this game is the technical side of it.
Not going to argue this.

My point is the amount of time and money it would take to do this are probably huge, and given the amount of sales Last Guardian would get, if it follows the trend of other Team Ico games could well below what Sony is willing to spend to see the rest of development finished on PS3 alone, let alone moving the title to PS4.

Gamestop....

Release bullshit info about game being canceled.

Cancel everyone's pre-order.

Force everyone to go to one of their shitty stores again to go through all the pre-ordering crap again once they realize they are morons for jumping to conclusions.

Power to the player.

Trevelyon

The game is cancelled and Sony won't confirm it until after Christmas.

Just too many bad vibes surrounding this project. It'll either be canned before e3 or have some glorious resurrection and firm shipped date.

Either way it'll all come out in the wash, sooner rather than much later.

It also took them like a week or more just to confirm that Ueda is still working on the game even though he left. They're not the quickest company around, that's for sure.

it's not really the best time to announce that one of your most hyped exclusive game is hitting the bin. two days before christmas and the eventual post-holiday sales events. I already seen a few peoples claims this was one of the games they were getting a ps3 for.

mollipen

You can't really single GS out for selling used games, can you? Unless there's some nuance to this part of your post I'm missing.

I would/could argue that they push used game sales/trade-ins far, far beyond anything other such retailers do. If I'm not mistaken, their club card specifically gives discounts on used games (and not new), and workers are told to suggest to customers that they buy the used copy of a game versus new.

I know that other retailers sell used games, but I think it can be argued they don't place such a heavy push behind those sales like GameStop does.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Would Sony confirm this by talking to Kotaku and IGN separately or would they make a formal announcement? Is there precedent for this? :p

Some one here wrote that looking at a picture of Ueda with the beast thing on a TV behind him. It was pretty funny, not sure if I could ever find that exact post again.

Oh I see. Thanks!

It'd be pretty funny if the big Game Informer tease is related to this. I dunno, I haven't been following that thread so I'm not sure if it's already been figured out, but that thread title has me wondering...

edit: Oh, that's confirmed to be an unannounced title. Carry on...

I would/could argue that they push used game sales/trade-ins far, far beyond anything other such retailers do. If I'm not mistaken, their club card specifically gives discounts on used games (and not new), and workers are told to suggest to customers that they buy the used copy of a game versus new.

I know that other retailers sell used games, but I think it can be argued they don't place such a heavy push behind those sales like GameStop does.

Gamestop also pushes pre-orders for new games heavily.

Many of their customers pre-order for the sole reason they can trade in for credit toward future purchases. It sounds like you're just focusing on their "bad" side.

Arthursw1

Maybe they are just trying to push sales towards games that will actually be released in the following months instead of a game that may or not be released in the upcoming years, let´s think positive

FStop7

Banned
It'd be pretty funny if the big Game Informer tease is related to this. I dunno, I haven't been following that thread so I'm not sure if it's already been figured out, but that thread title has me wondering...

Last Guardian goes to Sony Santa Monica.

I could see it happening.

My new theory is that Gamestop is tired of carrying over the pre orders and went to Sony and asked them for a rough estimate of release date and Sony told them they have no clue so Gamestop is just treating that like they would a cancellation.

Top Bottom