• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop Says The Last Guardian Calls Made in Error

cajunator

Banned
Whatever the answer is to this situation, it is not "Sony just isn't going to release it in North America". I mean, come on. Come on. The only way TLG doesn't come here is if the game doesn't come out at all.

Terrible policies, terrible customer service, deceptive sales practices, lack of any concern over the quality of product the end customer gets, recorded instances of removing included content they didn't want to promote, recorded instances of destroying old games rather than allowing them to be sold/donated/etc., creating stores to run local used game shops out of business and then closing those stores, damaging publishers/developers with their used game sales practices, being a major agent of fueling the shit pre-order / exclusive content world we now find ourselves in, etc.

I've never experienced any of that, and I buy a lot of stuff from Gamestop.

Respawn

Banned
Well Sony confirm it's a go. I going to remember some of the posters in the next gamestop thread.

Though I would love to see it on PS4 hehe

SCEJ...

ibsI1S6x5Osfzp.gif

that shit made me lolz

MrHicks

Banned
It would be an amazing launch title. Also it would probably be the most expensive launch game ever (in development costs).

LOL
have you seen team ico?
there was a pic of them floating around
they are tiny

running small team for many years is probably stil cheaper then a huge team for short time

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I would/could argue that they push used game sales/trade-ins far, far beyond anything other such retailers do. If I'm not mistaken, their club card specifically gives discounts on used games (and not new), and workers are told to suggest to customers that they buy the used copy of a game versus new.

I know that other retailers sell used games, but I think it can be argued they don't place such a heavy push behind those sales like GameStop does.

You'd rather their card discount new games and get a chunk out of new sales? Seems to me like you have some personal vendetta. I find this especially pointless to complain about in a thread where their practices have nothing to do with the subject matter.

SykoTech

That's what happens when you preo-order from GameStop.

Didn't they also say he didn't leave Team ICO and then two weeks later it was "ACTUALLY, ITS TRUE."?

Incorrect. Ueda said that he was still working on The Last Guardian on Twitter (which he is), but that was it.

Could be pressure from Sony just made him cave.

I don't know how developers work on the same stuff for so damned long. Id go insane.

That's no excuse. You felt pressured to finish your game?

From what we can tell, Ueda has tons of time and money on his side. His studio enjoyed huge amounts of creative freedom, their own offices from the sounds of things...For all intents and purposes, it appeared as if his situation was pretty plush.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Last Guardian goes to Sony Santa Monica.

I could see it happening.

The Last Guardian

-Sucker Punch

:eek:

Outsourcing it to other team/studio and drop Ueda from directing might actually be a good solution here, since I feel that Ueda don't have his heart in the project anymore and we didn't saw anything that tell us there is a real game so far.

I'd say..Toyama team+what left of Team Ico and Toyama lead the project,or SCEJ teams+ ThatGameCompany with Toyama and Jenova as leads

if not ...just give it to Volition and tell them to go even more crazier than SR3. ( Gangsta Kid with Winged flying Dildo as his Guardian pet)

I think Ueda's vision for this game just goes beyond what the PS3 is capable of. Either it's canned or moved to PS4.

maybe Ueda's vision is beyond Ueda's game making abilities.

mollipen

Gamestop also pushes pre-orders for new games heavily.

Many of their customers pre-order for the sole reason they can trade in for credit toward future purchases. It sounds like you're just focusing on their "bad" side.

Sure, but the question was if they do anything beyond other retailers in terms of used games, which I think they do.

diffusionx

Gold Member

From what we can tell, Ueda has tons of time and money on his side. His studio enjoyed huge amounts of creative freedom, their own offices from the sounds of things...For all intents and purposes, it appeared as if his situation was pretty plush.

Sure it is. He's a human being after all.

Maybe the game was crap. Maybe it just wasn't coming together the way they wanted. Maybe they couldn't figure out how to do the bird thing the way they wanted. Maybe he just got sick of working on the game and wanted out.

Nobody knows anything, except the game took forever and even years after announcement there is no sign of a release date or any progress. This is never ever ever a good sign. At least with GT5 we got Prologue and screenshots every few months.

ScOULaris

oh yeah I forgot about that, I remember now checking the gaf thread and seeing the outrage. I think it was the non premium cars (like 800 or so of them) were GT4 models and they looked hideous in screenshots. Man what a mess.
Biggest joke of the entire gen, in my opinion. I honestly can't even imagine what they were doing for those six years. What a travesty. The fact that the game has hardcore fans despite this is mindboggling.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
LOL
have you seen team ico?
there was a pic of them floating around
they are tiny

running small team for many years is probably stil cheaper then a huge team for short time

Yeah but all that time and then taking it over to the PS4 would probably be expensive. I don't really know. I'm not taking this scenario seriously.

They were wrong with Child of Eden PS3 and Sony says no. Although given the latest news of the game's progress(which we really know nothing about) I won't be surprised either way.

Yeah but isn't or wasn't Team ICO really small. Like 40 people small. I mean just look at how many people Ubisoft uses to crank out a new AC game every year. I was always kind of surprised that Sony didn't up Team ICO's staff to reasonable level.

Making a PS3 game with 40 or so people sounds impossible.

Keep in mind this opinion is based on assumptions of the working conditions at Sony from other developers and what we have seen from Team ICO but I have to say it appears like a bitch ass move to quit as director on a game that is completely your brainchild and that you got a enormous amount of time to invest in.

Yeah but isn't or wasn't Team ICO really small. Like 40 people small. I mean just look at how many people Ubisoft uses to crank out a new AC game every year. I was always kind of surprised that Sony didn't up Team ICO's staff to reasonable level.

Making a PS3 game with 40 or so people sounds impossible.
And that is what a lot of people forget is that Alan Wake was made by 35 people incl office staff.
Last time I heard they where working with 35 people on TLG.

If your game as scope for 150 to 200 people and you work on it with +-40 than it means it takes 4/5x longer.

slider

Ueda is still under contract to finish TLG.

I'm glad to hear it but a little upset that eventually he'll leave (I didn't read the old thread on GAF about his departure, plans and the thinking behind his decisions(?)).

I do worry about TLG though. Don't know if "development hell" applies but it's been far from plain sailing. I'd love to be a fly on the wall. A fly that understood Japanese of course. Anyway, for now I'll remain aloof with a small dose of cautiously optimistic.

protonion

IMO it's the same thing as Metal Gear Rising. Kojima said they thought of the cut anything but not anything else.

Here it's the creature. From a gameplay perspective what more could they do than grabbing it's tail?
In the end it will be a linear 8 hour game. There is no excuse for the years in development.
I'd prefer they moved it to PS4 and use the hardware to do more things. Huge world,flying etc.

mollipen

You'd rather their card discount new games and get a chunk out of new sales? Seems to me like you have some personal vendetta. I find this especially pointless to complain about in a thread where their practices have nothing to do with the subject matter.

Somebody asked why people could dislike GameStop, so I answered. *shrugs*

Top Bottom