• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop sure seems to be pushing the Xbone hard...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Finally that is all that counts. MS might win December NPD but they will have to slow down production if the xbone doesn't sell out any longer.

Perhaps they could launch in other markets earlier than planned? I'm not really sure why they continue to supply boxes to the US if they aren't shifting, maybe just some inertia to overcome?

What we've seen multiple times throughout multiple gens is expect the unexpected

There may be harder struggles to get a good foothold in certain markets for some Companies compared to others but that just means they need bigger unexpected stuff to happen compared to others through a longer time.
Random things happen and sometimes certain Companies recover and even later outperform their competitors... Who knows

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I want both systems to sell. A healthy, competetive industry is good for everyone.

That said, if some level of initial failure results in that price coming down a bit so that I can actually play many of the exclusive games I want to play on that thing, then I hope it tanks. I really want the Xbox One to fall a little more in line with the PS4 pricing (just £399 with a game will do) and missing sales targets will facilitate that.

A healthy competitive industry doesn't reward a company for a more expensive, lower performing box that barely escaped always on DRM, simply for the sake of it. Otherwise why even bother investing billions on your new machine?

Maybe you should go back and read your own post bro. It's not about you liking the xbox it's the complete ludicrous comment you made about how the PS2 library had no games and than insinuating PS4 library would be same.

Did you honestly believe you wouldn't get flamed?

What? Are we really in the stage where opinions need to be outwardly stated now? I never said the PS4 would have no games; I said it had no exclusive games that would appeal to me. (We'll reassess that in years to come, and I'm happy to eat crow, but given the studios Sony has shuttered versus the ones it holds aloft a its champions, I'm not sure I'll have to.)

Now, call me insane. Say I have bad taste. Say "Why do you even play video games?" That's all fine.

But saying I'm a liar is a bit off, especially given that the witch hunt was proven wrong.

I didn't own a 360 when I got a One, and I didn't own one for nearly a year. I bought and sold one many times last generation, just like I did with the PS2 the generation before it. Hell, I sold my 3DS XL at the same time as I sold my 360 and I ended up getting a 2DS when Pokémon launched. It's just what I do.

So again, call me insane. Call me a flip-flopper. Call me an obtuse iconoclast. That's all fine. But saying I'm a liar and that I have some pro-Microsoft agenda because I didn't like The Last of Us and hate that stupid Banderas meme is simply not fair. It really comes down to the fact that I'd rather play Killer Instinct more than most games. I waited 16 years for that.

I didn't think GAF was at the point of hivemind opinions just yet...

Xisiqomelir

Am I wrong, or did we not have exactly a similar situation at the start of last gen where the 360's shipped-to-retail numbers were insinuated to be sold-through-to-consumer numbers, and there were multiple GAF retailer anecdotes about stuffed channels?

+EDIT: I owned only a PS2 during the 6th gen and it has one of my most disliked libraries of all time. I only started collecting Saturn in 2008, and I found more games I enjoyed in the Saturn backlog that first year than I had for PS2 up to that point. I've had, I think, far more enjoyable a gaming experience with my PS3 than I ever did with my PS2. Wherever oconnomiyaki's console vendor allegiances lie, it's perfectly valid for him to not consider that mountain of shovelware "good", to use a loaded descriptor.

Cornbread78

Wow the thread that keeps on giving is here, from poop stained consoles to now gaf detectives trying to down a troll.

Don't change GAF and Welcome to 2014.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Am I wrong, or did we not have exactly a similar situation at the start of last gen where the 360's shipped-to-retail numbers were insinuated to be sold-through-to-consumer numbers, and there were multiple GAF retailer anecdotes about stuffed channels?

Stuffed channels are stupid. I mean, channels could be stuffed if retailers overstock, which indeed did happen for the 360 at one point. But people have the illusion that companies can just dump truckloads of systems to retailers when they don't want them.

Xisiqomelir

Stuffed channels are stupid. I mean, channels could be stuffed if retailers overstock, which indeed did happen for the 360 at one point. But people have the illusion that companies can just dump truckloads of systems to retailers when they don't want them.

Well I mean, that's the point. Retailers not being fools, one assumes they don't hit that re-up if the package isn't dry.

That all depends. What if initial Xbox One demand was high(PS4 like sell outs) and then continued to lower over time? Then you would have systems collecting with the order already placed and paid for. No retailer would be able to predict the system demand suddenly slowing. Same thing with Wii U when Nintendo had to play fiddle diddle with what people were seeing in stores.....

Into

To the member who asked why we "argue" sales:

Its not a fanboy thing, sales are just interesting when it comes to video games, i also love looking at Box Office numbers as well. It just interests me, its a window to see what it is the majority of people out there want out of a video game, console, movie etc.

I dont personally own any stock, emotional or monetary wise in any of these companies. Some of my favorite films were financial flops, ditto for games and even game consoles

People should not take sales as a personal "loss" or failure on a internet forum.

Because the Saturn had such a strong non-Japanese Western library.

I'm just giving you a hard time I don't really care that much about what you like, I just find your reasoning pretty weird

Fair call. It's something I think about a lot: at what point did I suddenly have such content for games made from the land of the rising sun. I think it's two-fold:

1) In the Mega Drive games, Japanese games didn't feel very Japanese. Mega Man, Sonic, Streets of Rage, Probotector/Contra, etc. They didn't feel Japanese. They just felt... neutral, I guess. So when you get to the PS2 era and you really start to see the Japanese flavour, for lack of a better way of putting it, starting to come though in the games, that's perhaps when they started feeling foreign to me. It's not a xenophobic thing, as I'm really into anime. I can't really describe it.

2) Japanese game design seemed to be stuck in this weird limbo. I liked Sega's arcade offerings, and still do. Give me Virtua Fighter, Outrun, Sega Rally, Virtual On. Those are the kinds of games that really kept me playing video games when I was a teenager. Doesn't mean I didn't play things like Tomb Raider or Blam! Machinehead, but my heart was with the arcade stuff. I think it was KOTOR that really started to sour my opinion of Japanese video game design. Here was an RPG that didn't force random battles on me when I was trying to explore and let me save where I wanted. It also gave me a choice in dialogue -- and although I'd had that with Ultima VII, it was something new for a console RPG. I guess I just got bored of the Japanese quirks.

Honestly, if people want to know where my heads at, I really, really like arcade gaming. I used to slam at least $5 a day into a DDR machine every morning for a year. My games of the generation are Shatter, Pac-Man CE DX, and Geometry Wars 2. It really shouldn't come to a surprise to anyone that I'm not really enamoured with Sony's first-party studios. I'm not even completely in love with Microsoft's offerings; it's basically Halo and to an extent Fable (mainly the first one, though).

People probably picture me sitting there slobbering over my One like some kind of possessed fanboy. Truth is that while I've certainly had fun smashing Killer Instinct and Call of Duty, Ryse remains unfinished, Forza was a disappointment, and I've barely touched Assassin's Creed IV. I've spent more time on my PC lately than anything... but then I don't have to ask to use the TV in order to do so. :p

I'd totally kill for another Dreamcast, though. Bish's comment cut deep. :(

U root for a sports team? You ever had an argument over why android is better than iOS? Consoles are no different, u buy a platform hoping it is very successful and the best games come to it, one dominating platform is ace in my book especially with steambox coming. I don't want to buy a bunch of platforms for my one hobby. So yeah ppl tend to pick a platform and stick to it, hence FANS.

Ok just wante to put that out there. Console wars aren't as simple minded as some give credit for, most entertainment industries have them

I find the sales aspect interesting because Microsoft being behind in every territory undercuts their gaming strategy. Before they were the defacto console in the US and UK and that allowed them the ability to do a lot of these third party deals and trying to manage the landscape (games have to release on every platform simultaneously and when they allow it, read up on Retro City Rampage and am sure others). Games consistently sold better and were easier to develop on the 360, and that opened up a lot of doors, behond which was lots of money as well. Now they are in almost the exact opposite position. I find that to be an interesting development.

The brightside, hopefully, is that they will invest more on internal game studios and grow them, and improve their indie stance. Personally without the 3rd party relations I think they are little exposed on the games front.

sith ewok

+EDIT: I owned only a PS2 during the 6th gen and it has one of my most disliked libraries of all time. I only started collecting Saturn in 2008, and I found more games I enjoyed in the Saturn backlog that first year than I had for PS2 up to that point. I've had, I think, far more enjoyable a gaming experience with my PS3 than I ever did with my PS2. Wherever oconnomiyaki's console vendor allegiances lie, it's perfectly valid for him to not consider that mountain of shovelware "good", to use a loaded descriptor.

Honestly, while there are a few games on PS2 that are in my upper echelon of loves (Ico, Final Fantasy X), I completely agree. While the library was expansive, I personally found very little I liked on that system. I typically keep that to myself on gaming forums so that I don't get torn apart, but in truth the PS2 is one of my least favorite gaming libraries overall and I've owned nearly every system since the 2600 days. Part of it was due to how good I felt the Dreamcast's library was in comparison, but there just are very few PS2 games that I chose to keep at the end of the console's life as there were few that really did much for me personally.

I went into my local GS last night, and asked about PS4. Zero. Asked about Xbox One and the guy's face lit up and he said oh yeah we've got those, said I should buy one and started talking excitedly about Killer Instinct. I said, oh I'm just asking for a friend.

No funny homemade signs or anything like that though.

That it's a bad thing if XBone sells well.

Well that's not false. Microsoft only did a good job with the xbox when they were in a distant third place and greatly feared Sony. Usually these companies wait until they're in a distant first place before the extreme hubris sets in, but for microsoft the extreme hubris set in when they were tied for second place.

Can you imagine what kind of shit they would try to pull if they actually had a best-selling system?

Wow the thread that keeps on giving is here, from poop stained consoles to now gaf detectives trying to down a troll.

Don't change GAF and Welcome to 2014.

For better or worse this thread is pretty much a case study on what happens when you lose consumer confidence in your product line. Any anecdotal evidence I could provide basically mirrors the vast majority of others experiences; little or no PS4s and lots and lots of XBOs, and employee's actively pushing the Xbone to the point where it's almost off-putting. Is this a sign of slowing demand, or just channel stuffing? Maybe it isn't and maybe it is. If it is it remains to be seen if they can really turn this all around. Microsoft as a company have never really been good at directly competing with other products see: Zune, Bing, Kin. So the big question here is whether or not consumer pressure will be enough to change the Xbone into something that resonates more with consumer wants rather then shareholder pocket books. The first leap of faith has been taken with the draconian DRM scheme renege.

Ultimately, Microsoft doesn’t answer to consumers though. It can’t. They aren’t who pays the bills. Microsoft’s principle customers by a wide, wide margin are corporations, enterprises, governments, schools, computer makers, and other big accounts that engage in high-volume licensing for Microsoft products. Everything else is just a nice side-dish for Microsoft, including its efforts to make products and services for everyday people.

I guess we'll have a clearer picture come NPD, but I'm more of the opinion that they still have a long way to go to get consumer confidence back in their ball court. Either way retailers selling floor space and promotions to companies isn't anything new. As long as Microsoft has deep pockets I'm sure Game Stop is more than happy to oblige :p

Case study? I'm pretty sure most people can figure out this is yet another NeoGAF troll topic by the time they get to the word Xbone.

Could it just be that Xbox One isn't selling well? The way they're pushing it makes them look desperate as hell

Xbox One was the top selling item (#1 and #2 with bundle) on Gamestop.com for most of December. It is the top selling item on BestBuy.com and the top selling hardware on Amazon.com. To claim that the console isn't selling well is absurd.

Microsoft cut back the plan to release in 23 countries to 13 countries which means they have a ton of stock for these countries. The rate at which Xbox One is currently selling makes Xbox 360 look like a joke/failure.

Microsoft as a company have never really been good at directly competing with other products see: Zune, Bing, Kin.

Bing has over 30% control of search market in the US and continues growing share and moving steadily each quarter towards profitability. Bing powers search on Yahoo, Facebook, Apple's Siri, and Amazon's Kindle Fire now. I'd say Microsoft is doing a damn good job competing in search considering everything. Lumping Bing in with Zune and Kin (a product that was cancelled a month after release) is just pure ignorance.

Case study? I'm pretty sure most people can figure out this is yet another NeoGAF troll topic by the time they get to the word Xbone.

I suppose if your a console warrior and have a persecution complex about a piece of plastic, or just plain don't like XBO you might see it that way.

Bing has over 30% control of search market in the US and continues growing share and moving steadily each quarter towards profitability. Bing powers search on Yahoo, Facebook, Apple's Siri, and Amazon's Kindle Fire now. I'd say Microsoft is doing a damn good job competing in search considering everything. Lumping Bing in with Zune and Kin (a product that was cancelled a month after release) is just pure ignorance.

You mean the same Bing that was reported as having lost them $5.5 billion dollars since its inception? The same Bing that was losing them at one point $1 billion dollars per quarter?

From the same online division that has lost nearly $11 billion dollars trying to compete with Google, who would probably control most of the search engine market if they weren't so intent on dumping money into the thing:

Since the first quarter of 2005, Microsoft's online division has lost $10.9 billion.

Read that again. $10.9 billion. There's probably never been another company in history that has lost that much money online. The gawdy losses always hung over Bing, Microsoft's search engine that's failed to disrupt Google's search dominance. The best you can say for Bing's impact on Google is that Google has been stuck at 65% of the U.S. search market. If it weren't for Microsoft dumping money into Bing, it might be at 90%

Oh and that deal with Yahoo you mentioned? There are already rumors of trying to end the partnership with MS in favor of Google:

Yahoo! Inc. (YHOO) Chief Executive Officer Marissa Mayer has attempted unsuccessfully to unravel a 10-year search-advertising pact with Microsoft Corp. (MSFT) in favor of a deal with Google Inc. (GOOG), according to people familiar with the matter.

Mayer began the effort to end the agreement soon after becoming Yahoo CEO in July, and she has met with resistance from Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the meetings were private.

Microsoft’s agreement to provide the technology for Yahoo Web searches hasn’t met estimates, prompting Mayer to seek alternatives, the people said. The pact, which expires in 2020, was reached in 2009 by Ballmer and former Yahoo CEO Carol Bartz.

As a consolation for the poor performance of its search ads, Microsoft agreed to pay revenue guarantees to Yahoo through March 2014. That extends an arrangement between the companies that expired last month, Sunnyvale, California-based Yahoo said in a regulatory filing yesterday.

Mayer also has met with representatives of Google, her former employer, who have agreed verbally upon an alternate search-ad partnership should the arrangement with Microsoft end, one of the people said. Google Chairman Eric Schmidt said in October that the company would consider a search deal with Yahoo if the Web portal inquired.

You know what real ignorance is? Trying to pretend Bing, like a long line of unsuccessful Microsoft products, is a profitable venture. They have the money to dump in things like this because their bread and butter ISN'T things like this

Like I said we'll see what happens come NPD, and with Sony supply constrained for the month there's a good chance they might beat them in the NPD for December. I don't doubt that possibility occurring. However, I have little faith in Microsoft competing in consumer products or turning them around. Their history speaks to that.

Abdiel

Xbox One was the top selling item (#1 and #2 with bundle) on Gamestop.com for most of December. It is the top selling item on BestBuy.com and the top selling hardware on Amazon.com. To claim that the console isn't selling well is absurd.

Microsoft cut back the plan to release in 23 countries to 13 countries which means they have a ton of stock for these countries. The rate at which Xbox One is currently selling makes Xbox 360 look like a joke/failure.

Well, no. You're wrong. Speaking from a retail perspective, as a Best Buy employee, I can tell you that the demand has already tapered off, drastically for the One. They sell, there's people looking for them, but not in mass quantity. Even our website, I've got to say, is really bad at actually tracking those kinds of metrics, and I wouldn't use it for anything anecdotal. All of the stores in the NH/MA/ME/VT districts have had some of the same Ones that came in from 2-3 weeks before Christmas left over in their current inventory. They just keep getting more. They're simply not selling out, at least as far as Best Buy is concerned. There's plenty to be found, but the last family I had buying them were doing so because they needed "A next gen console to tide the kids over they could return when we had PS4s available". Cheers to a 45 day return policy for elite members, I guess.

Anyway. Your posts always scream a level of slavish intent to stick to a narrative that just comes across as silly. Unless you can speak from actual numbers, with confirmed information, please don't lecture others.

They have the money to dump in things like this because their bread and butter ISN'T things like this

This time 100x. The problem with Microsoft is, they try to beat everyone at their own game in which they can not. Once they've tried and can't succeed, that's when the complaining starts. What they need to do is start their own, not compete in a space that does not need such strong competition. Not saying search shouldn't have competitors but what they are trying to do is no different than Google. Trying to make it seem like it's better , is extremely false.

SPDIF

This time 100x. The problem with Microsoft is, they try to beat everyone at their own game in which they can not. Once they've tried and can't succeed, that's when the complaining starts. What they need to do is start their own, not compete in a space that does not need such strong competition. Not saying search shouldn't have competitors but what they are trying to do is no different than Google. Trying to make it seem like it's better , is extremely false.

Any suggestions?

RPGamer92

Banned
Huge amount of unsold Xbox stock+lack of consumer interest smells price drop to me early next year (like when they dropped the Xbox OG from $300 to $200 by May).

Harteex

Why would it make any difference to GameStop? If anything, having fewer competitive platforms makes it easier for them to manage stock.

It probably makes a lot of difference. With fewer competetive platforms, the manufactorers could more easily do as they wish. With both Sony and Microsoft, Gamestop can pressure the other if they do something they don't like.

KiraXD

its not all gamestops... im pretty good friends with all the stores employees in my city (i used to work there a few years ago)

Its actually pretty funny, as much as the guys at my gamestops USED to be hardcore xbox fanboys (360 was the console they used to push on customers more often)... almost every one of them ended up getting the PS4 instead. and as usual each store has stacks of XB1's and no PS4's

Dezzy

A GameStop I went to said they're trying to sell Xbox Ones to people that ask for a PS4 when the PS4s are out of stock. The guy did say that they always say no though.

EMT0

Banned
Anecdotal evidence, but my Gamestop in Northern Virginia seems to be actively be playing PR for MS. While I've been there, I've seen them dissuade two different customers from buying PS4s for their kids and instead talking them into Xbox Ones.

So in other words, people that work at Gamestop can be biased, like everybody else. Doesn't really feel like Gamestop as a business is pushing it over the PS4 though.

KiraXD

Anecdotal evidence, but my Gamestop in Northern Virginia seems to be actively be playing PR for MS. While I've been there, I've seen them dissuade two different customers from buying PS4s for their kids and instead talking them into Xbox Ones.

So in other words, people that work at Gamestop can be biased, like everybody else. Doesn't really feel like Gamestop as a business is pushing it over the PS4 though.

because a lot of times the employees are just out of highschool fanboys lol. seriously, why would you try talking a customer out of buying a certain console? thats absurd XD

Huge amount of unsold Xbox stock+lack of consumer interest smells price drop to me early next year (like when they dropped the Xbox OG from $300 to $200 by May).
What do you base this off? Because all the facts we have (2+ Million Sales, biggest launch (excluding PS4) and selling faster than last Gen did all discredit these claims.

That would piss me off If I witnessed them doing that around me. I'd probably interject in the hope that their kids would get what they asked for.

And SERIOUSLY... is it just me or do Xbox fanboys greatly outnumber PlayStation fanboys at places like Gamestop or Best Buy. I'm guessing it's a consequence of the success of the 360 here in North America.

RPGamer92

Banned
What do you base this off? Because all the facts we have (2+ Million Sales, biggest launch (excluding PS4) and selling faster than last Gen did all discredit these claims.
There's a lot of unsold stock in many retails plus if sales decrease after the holiday season, they may be tempted to price match PS4 to take away its main advantage.

They're probably sitting on ton's of stock just like the Best Buy I work at. I'm actually shocked we (bby) haven't done any major specials yet, they usually buddy buddy with MS over marketing & product placement.

Wonder how quickly that price drops going to come post Holiday

statham

I'm just glad both systems are doing alright, XBO will get a huge boost from Titanfall and Halo. I'm most looking forward to D4 and Quantum Break and maybe Sunset Overdrive.

biggest launch doesnt make anything the best selling in the long run, most likely its just stock availability or more people buying it in the get go instead of the long haul

Coolwhip

Banned

The biggest launch talk is all simple PR. Sony and MS both know the sales will be a lot more frontloaded after this looooooooooong previous console gen.

tazz3

So MS has enough x1 in stores. now the price might be hurting it.just think about it all hardcore gamers got there x1 now they have thete consoles and casuals are geting ps4 and wiiu this might be a problem for ms.i can see a 399 x1 by e3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom