• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop: "the flood gates are open for PS4 system reserves"

Stuart444

How can Sony supply an "unlimited amount" of PS4s? What does that even mean?

If they showed that MS was allocating ~ Z number of consoles and Sony was allocating Z x 2 or something then that would totally different. To me this means nothing because "unlimited" is not a number of consoles that anyone can ship.

It means once they decide to retract the unlimited number, they will know how many pre-orders they have and can possibly try and get the numbers ready for launch.

So say in about a week or two (assuming it's still unlimited then), a quick e-mail to GS and suddenly pre-orders are sold out for launch with high amounts of PS4 due for GS when it launches :)

Interesting. I wonder if its the same with other large retailers.

If it is, then you better be there at open to pick up your pre-order.

Mine is just for eBay so if it doesn't' sell, I'll just cancel the order and get my $25 back or buy a game.

Cbajd5

It's like they don't want the free advertising that having a waiting list brings...

Cool. Seems like this will end badly though.

nib95

Banned
That sounds like a bad idea...add to that, that 16mil number has to be BS. No way Sony can realistically expect that.

driver116

Sony is gearing up for complete global saturation.

I don't know why, but that comment made me think of the film Wargames.

"Global Thermonuclear War"

wargames-1.jpg

:p

friz898

Just called my Gamestop.

They said "we only have a few systems left for reserve on both, $100 down"

That makes me want to bite, but I dont think I'm going to donate 100 to Gamestop to hold for 5 months.

On the otherhand, I dont want to deal with a November-February shortage. Bleh.

Another pre-order tidbit. @CheapyD from cheapassgamer said that PS4 pre-orders were tracking 59% ahead of Xbone pre-DRM announcement. After, that dipped to 49%. I'd say there's at least several hundred of each as it's a very high traffic site.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Just called my Gamestop.

That makes me want to bite, but I dont think I'm going to donate 100 to Gamestop to hold for 5 months.

Sounds to me like your gamestop is lying to you.

Just called my Gamestop.

My god nooooo. Don't fall for it when they're asking for money, especially when we have no idea what the actual launch shipments will turn out to be since it's not a guarantee that you'll get one.

Pre order from an online retailer for free now imo; or somewhere that will take less money down. 100 seems ridiculous to hold for that long.

(this is just my opinion, depends how much you value your money.)

Just called my Gamestop.

what you should do is get a few people to preorder. and see what they say.

Cbajd5

Just called my Gamestop.

Well then just buy a system from the scalpers, duh.

Or just go to a not Gamestop/Best Buy/Wal-Mart before they open on day one.

Got my launch Wii U Premium that way, and those did have limited quantities then.

Technically that's how I got my Wii too, but I got there a lot earlier than for the Wii U.

Struct09

I wonder if Sony and MS are able to meet demand due to using more off-the-shelf parts. Either way, I'm super excited to not have to camp out for either system this year. I had to camp out in a tent for my 360 and sleep in my car for my PS3 :p

FluxWaveZ

My god nooooo. Don't fall for it when they're asking for money, especially when we have no idea what the actual launch shipments will turn out to be since it's not a guarantee that you'll get one.

Pre order from an online retailer for free now imo; or somewhere that will take less money down. 100 seems ridiculous to hold for that long.

(this is just my opinion, depends how much you value your money.)

Cancelling a pre-order gives one a refund.

Edit: Never mind, you know that.

How can Sony supply an "unlimited amount" of PS4s? What does that even mean?

If they showed that MS was allocating ~ Z number of consoles per store and Sony was allocating Z x 2 or something then that would totally different. To me this means nothing because "unlimited" is not a number of consoles that anyone can ship.
It could mean they're projected production is still outstripping demand by a significant amount. Or they have a certain time frame beyond launch date where they consider it satisfactory to consider it as enough supply.

I'd like to see more substance to this. Are there any supply chain websites that are making predictions? There are so many variables that have to be considered.

Tendo

I pre ordered my PS4 from Amazon and have a launch edition coming but things like this make me nervous that my "launch" edition may come two months later. I still remember the 360 launch fiasco with gamestops.

This is what I'm afraid Amazon did as well - just let everyone pre order and make a wait list later.

friz898

Ya, I'm not one to fall for the "We only have *ONE* Left, you BETTER BUY IT RIGHT NOW!" type of guy.

But I remember horror stories about Wii shortages (and ps3 too right?.. i was computer only during beginning of last gen)

Shambles

Assuming this isn't headed towards complete disaster there must already be warehouses being filled with PS4s as we speak.

I pre-ordered at GS because I really wanted the "show up in person, walk out at midnight with box in hand" experience. I'm 34 and I've never been able to spend the money on a day one console before now. I figured this might be my last chance to do it, since the next hardware will obviously just be chips implanted in our brains.

Sounds like I might be waiting in a long line, though. I asked the guy working about the protocol and he said there's no numbered order. If you ordered it, you get it.

Hmmm. Sony damn well better be sure about this. I really want that day one experience, even if the games aren't the greatest at launch....

Roland1979

my gawd.. if Sony can get this thing out in October.

Actually it might sound strange but I expected them to do it all along.
They "allowed" Xbox to announce first, caught them by surprise. We all know the PR disaster which may not have been caused by it but there was panic by MS and it showed.
They "allow" MS to launch first (MS=fall vs Sony=holidays). Maybe they will hit the stores early October.
Maybe not but it might be one of the last moves on this well played game of chess of Sony vs MS. The previous situation was Sony had a check on MS, MS pulled a castling.
Will Sony's next move be a checkmate?

3470287451_5f401055aa.jpg

Can't execute a castling when checked in the real chess game, not allowed, IRL you can

Stuart444

Apparently they will start mass production in few weeks, with hitting full stride [1 mil per month] in September.

If so, doesn't that mean an October launch is theoretically possible? I'm still predicting November launch but a late October one doesn't seem out of the question.

Not a fan of this plan if true.

1.) Can turn into a huge PR disaster and honestly shift sales to MSFT if they screw up in any fashion.

2.) Loses that feel of exclusivity if it is extremely prevalent which can increase psychological demand for several months.

3.) If they do produce outrageous numbers at launch, I would be VERY concerned about overall QA of the production line. High chance of something being cheaply built or overlooked.

zychi

Banned
It amaze me that some gamers can't understand Gamestop.

Just because you preorder with them, doesnt mean you're getting it at launch. It DOES mean Gamestop is getting money from you and including it in other parts of their company, months before an item is available.

You could be #15 at your local gamestop for a ps4 preorder, and not be guaranteed a ps4 at launch.

Its basically "yeah, give us your money now, we'll get you one eventually."

Actually it might sound strange but I expected them to do it all along.
They "allowed" Xbox to announce first, caught them by surprise. We all know the PR disaster which may not have been caused by it but there was panic by MS and it showed.
They "allow" MS to launch first (MS=fall vs Sony=holidays). Maybe they will hit the stores early October.
Maybe not but it might be one of the last moves on this well played game of chess of Sony vs MS. The previous situation was Sony had a check on MS, MS pulled a castling.
Will Sony's next move be a checkmate?

3470287451_5f401055aa.jpg

Checkmate IMO would have been GT6 exclusive day 1 followed by a 2014 WWS onslaught, but Sony seems to be going for a calmer route.

Whats the best place to preorder right now other than amazon. I have a launch edition preordered but I'm afraid. I need a backup.

Roland1979

Checkmate IMO would have been GT6 exclusive day 1 followed by a 2014 WWS onslaught, but Sony seems to be going for a calmer route.

I think you're wrong because a single game, GT6 or not that is already a Sony game is not going to make that big of a difference. Not enough to really hurt MS. The Sony fans would've bought it anyways, not buy a XB1. The Xbox crowd play Forza otherwise they would have jumped ship long ago. For Sony fans it might sound awesome and it's not a weak move, but certainly not that deceive I think. It would really help Sony sell more at launch instead of a more spread out sales. But most would not go to MS, especially with the Xbox One's past. WWS Would not sell that well in Europe if it's show wrestling.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Can anyone explain how this will affect the pre-orders at Gamestop? Should I go in as soon as I get money and put down my pre-order or wait a bit?

Can anyone explain how this will affect the pre-orders at Gamestop? Should I go in as soon as I get money and put down my pre-order or wait a bit?

Aren't their preorders fulfillment based on when you preordered? It'd still probably be best to get in a preorder early to get higher up in the queue. Though I still think preordering online where they don't charge you til it ships makes more sense (assuming they are guaranteeing launch day consoles)

kuroshiki

I don't see why people are worried about this.

1. They are not using any special hardware and apparently yields are pretty good.

2. This time Sony is not making anything within Japan. Foxconn is making them. There wouldn't be any 'can't produce enough at time' issue.

3. Demand for the next gen is high, but not ~1-2 million high. With Xbone also in pre order scene, I think Sony will receive around 1.5 million preorders in NA.

Since Sony apparently can make 1.3 million units per month, and production starts on September, they can easily make 3.6 million units in 2 months and ship them during November.

Yup. I don't think we will see shortage.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Yeah... as someone who pre-ordered their PS4 at Gamestop weeks ago.. I do not fucking like this. I am officially nervous. :|

Updated Seinfeld scene about to be lived out this fall:

Jerry: I don't understand. Do you have my reservation?

GameStop: We have your reservation, we just ran out of PS4s.

Jerry: But the reservation keeps the PS4 here. That's why you have the reservation.

GameStop: I think I know why we have reservations.

Jerry: I don't think you do...... You see, you know how to *take* the reservation, you just don't know how to *hold* the reservation. And that's really the most important part of the reservation: the holding. Anybody can just take them.
Yeah, this is gonna be me at Gamestop if I don't get my shit within a 3 day period. Believe that.

That's my hard earned money they're dicking around with here. Someone will get yelled at.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I preordered at BB not EB but if they do the same thing and I dont get my unit on launch day... I will be terribly vexed.

Top Bottom