• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop: "the flood gates are open for PS4 system reserves"

coldfoot

Banned
Jack Tretton: "If you can find a store in North America where the PS4 hasn't been available on shelves for more than five minutes, I'll give you 1200 bucks"

Danlord

Just show me the god damn packaging.

PS4-retail-box-600x460.png

I pre-ordered at a gamestop. I was able to get in on the first list of 25 reserves. This better not make it so it's a first come first serve fucking thing.

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
Sony is targetting Xbox owners that are ticked-off by Don Mattricks policies.

Gamestop is the most important retail channel to allocate extra units.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
You guys are funny. Sony is prepared.

Between this and how many orders Amazon has taken and are still taking, they're almost certainly overselling. Haven't even mentioned stores like Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Toys R' Us, etc.

I'm not feeling good about this at all.

onQ123

What if the 12 or 16 million number was real? that shit would be crazy to come out swinging like that it would be pretty much over for Xbox One & Wii U because the devs would flood to the PS4 trying to cash in.

If sony out-manufactures MS by at least 5million year after year. They'll be market leader.

Who knows how much that limited supply slowed PS3 down.

BigDug13

BB will charge/return the amount several times to make sure the money is covered on your card. Just FYI.

They'll make sure $400 is available on your card even if your card might not be the method of payment and there's no reason for them to charge you until the system is in your hands? That sounds stupid.

Sometimes this place is such a bubble - unlimited preorders doesn't mean anything except that Sony isn't going to be supply constrained. It's not like 4million people are going to show up at Gamestop on launch day and demand their PS4.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Can amazon get increased reserves so i can get a launch day system upgrade.

Well they did that to me already.
Dear Amazon.com Customer,

Thank you for pre-ordering the PlayStation 4.

We are writing to inform you that we received additional PlayStation 4 "Launch Day Edition" consoles and have upgraded your order from the "Standard Edition." We've also upgraded your shipping speed to free Release-Day Delivery at no cost to you. This means you'll receive your order the day the console is released (the two editions are identical other than the release-day promise).

You do not need to take any action or make any changes to your current order. Thank you again for your order.

Didn't they do this with ps3, they had no reserve limit from what I recall so folks were waiting for months to get their systems after launch

Insty

They'll make sure $400 is available on your card even if your card might not be the method of payment and there's no reason for them to charge you until the system is in your hands? That sounds stupid.

If you preorder online that is correct. If you put 25 down in store though you just pay the difference when it's released, no back checking.

Is this the result of using off the shelf parts, rather than custom parts?

Would Sony even be able to do this if they had added backwards compatibility....with that stupid Cell processor.

Karak

Didn't they do this with ps3, they had no reserve limit from what I recall so folks were waiting for months to get their systems after launch

I think most companies did at one time or another. Not just Sony. They have all had trouble getting systems into peoples hands at one moment to the next.

If sony out-manufactures MS by at least 5million year after year. They'll be market leader.
It won't happen year after year.

B.O.O.M

There's going to be tears and a lot of scalpers making big money this year.

But then it wouldn't be a console launch without it.

wiiu?

OT: I doubt it will be unlimited always. It's just unlimited at the moment. It will change after a while for sure

casmith07

A lot of this "there's no way!" talk reminds me of the "just wait, Sony will announce the same used game restrictions and DRM" crowd.

I like to say wait and see. It seems feasible that they could hit their sales goals by the end of 2013 if a) production is buzzing at their forecasted rate and b) demand is similarly moving at a substantial clip.

vdo

It amaze me that some gamers can't understand Gamestop.

Just because you preorder with them, doesnt mean you're getting it at launch. It DOES mean Gamestop is getting money from you and including it in other parts of their company, months before an item is available.

You could be #15 at your local gamestop for a ps4 preorder, and not be guaranteed a ps4 at launch.

Its basically "yeah, give us your money now, we'll get you one eventually."

But then why wouldn't they do the same with Xbone? There would be no reason to limit any preorders for any system if that was the strategy.

BadWolf

They have lost the DRM/always online advantage but the price difference and larger shipments will definitely help to make up for that.

Is the word on the 180 still the same? That MS is behind on production and less units are available for sale compared to the PS4?

Top Bottom