• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaza aid fleet attacked by Israeli navy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atrus

Gold Member
empty vessel said:
Thanks for posting these. I'd just like to point out that, despite coming down against Israel, both of these sources (Western (mostly American) law school professors and the Washington Post) have (probably significant) biases in favor of Israel.

I know of neither professor nor writer so I'm going to have to ask for sources to your assertions.

Xeke

Banned
Ashes1396 said:
No, it was just the way you phrased the question that's all.

It bothers me that people compare any situation in the middle east to african americans in america. It's a bad comparison. Everyone in that region is guilty.

Xeke said:
It bothers me that people compare any situation in the middle east to african americans in america. It's a bad comparison. Everyone in that region is guilty.
I thought there were black activists that used illegal methods as well, weren´t there?

Xeke said:
Nothing compared to running a military blockade.
That was not the point that I was getting at, you said in the middle east all partys were guilty. By the current laws back int the 50-60s the black activists were guilty as well.

It´s in the light of the history that we judge that their crimes were justifiable. In a few years time there may be a consensus that running Israels economical blockade of Gaza was justifiable in order to ease the lives of the people living under occupation.

Atrus said:
I know of neither professor nor writer so I'm going to have to ask for sources to your assertions.

I'm just talking institutionally. All mainstream American media sources, given that they reflect the power structure within the country itself, have a significant pro-Israeli bias. (Media biases of any country always run in the direction of the power structure.) And if you were to take all experts on international law and line them up, American law professors, on average, will be among the most pro-Israeli and for the same reason.

Xeke said:

It should bother you, since the comparison is apt. Palestinians are the subjugated class of Israel's apartheid state, which is what blacks once were to the US (and South Africa).

Ashes

Banned
tahrikmili said:
Any news about the footage from the cards the reporters hid in their panties?

Waiting with baited breath. Though I would have been happier at this point if it is leaked on wikileaks or something; she shouldn't have even mentioned it in the paper etcs. Some govt. or other could seize it for justifications that only they know about.

I'm sure this has been posted here at some point, but I agree almost entirely with this: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/03/opinion/03oren.html

Terrorist supporters whose goals include funding and arming Hamas and attack soldiers are not "peace activists".

I mean, I hope that we (the U.S.) can convince Israel to abandon its settlements in the West Bank, those are clearly a problem and an obstacle towards peace and the two-state solution that is clearly the best path forward. That fence which effectively seizes so much Palestinian land is a problem too. And certainly both sides are guilty of constant incitement. But Israel should not have to talk with people whose main goal is their destruction, or allow people supporting those groups free access to support their enemies... I thought that the American blockade of Iraq in the '90s was overall effective (more could have been done to get in medicines for the Iraqi people, but that was every bit as much their government's fault as it was ours...), and it's similar here. Wars should only happen as an absolute last resort, and methods such as blockades can also be very effective, without the awful toll of invasion. The blockade of Iraq had successfully crippled Sadaam's government and helped keep him from being able to rebuild banned weapons programs, and limit how much he could oppress his people too -- the Kurds in the north had effective independence thanks to US control of the air, for instance. Methods that are not war, but help you achieve your goals, are often good things to try. (The Iraq War itself, of course, was something I strongly opposed from the beginning, but that was very different from the actions of the decade-plus before it.)

I don't know whether it was legal or not to stop the ships that far offshore, and that question does matter, but the action itself was certainly justified, and that matters more. But sure, investigate what happened here. We can't entirely trust one or the other sides' version of the story, both are already working hard to spin it their way... but we'll see, whatever exactly happened, I'm sure it will come out. I don't think that this Islamic "charity" is going to come out of it looking too good, though...

Islamic charity? You realize people from different religions were on the flotilla. And its already a complete disaster for Israel. Worldwide condemnation including from the UN security council, where the US didnt even veto the condemnation.

All this did was increase the awareness of Israeli barbarity towards Palestine, which is a good thing.

mAcOdIn

I'll always be against the blockade because, while I'm sure some people on those ships were indeed supporters of terrorist groups, not everyone was a supporter of a terrorist group. Israel will never ever be able to stop terrorist sympathizers from getting into Gaza or attacking Israel, it's a fucking waste of time. It's the same kind of crap I don't want pulled on American citizens, I'm sure there's Al-Qaeda supporters all over my country, I don't want the military cracking down on everyone because there's 10 people amidst 600 that support Al-Qaeda.

jorma

is now taking requests
A Black Falcon said:
We can't entirely trust one or the other sides' version of the story, both are already working hard to spin it their way... but we'll see, whatever exactly happened, I'm sure it will come out. I don't think that this Islamic "charity" is going to come out of it looking too good, though...

But you already ARE trusting one side of the story, since the op ed you "agree almost completely with" is written by an Israeli ambassador.

Buba Big Guns said:
Islamic charity? You realize people from different religions were on the flotilla. And its already a complete disaster for Israel. Worldwide condemnation including from the UN security council, where the US didnt even veto the condemnation.

All this did was increase the awareness of Israeli barbarity towards Palestine, which is a good thing.

This is the part where I would start paying attention if I were Israel. The US didn't reflexively unconditionally and unquestioningly defend us, if I were Israel, I would be paying very close attention to what I was doing from now on, since there's one ship currently en route (which didn't make the original flotilla trip due to technical issues) scheduled to reach Gaza by Saturday if it is not interfered with.

jorma said:
But you already ARE trusting one side of the story, since the op ed you "agree almost completely with" is written by an Israeli ambassador.

I do trust real democracies more than terrorist organizations, yes... but I was trying to say that I'm not going to just trust everything the Israelis say verbatim, certainly I support Israel, as do most Americans, but there are a lot of right-wing militant Israelis who hurt the cause of peace just as much as the Palestinians, perhaps most notably the people in the settlements... both sides keep the awful situation there going, so it definitely would be best for someone impartial to look at it, because otherwise the other side is never going to believe the results.

Of course, both sides just use this for advancing their positions on the matter anyway, so I don't know how much if at all finding out what actually happened will change things, but still, sure, trying to show, for instance, who attacked first and who fired real bullets first is certainly worthwhile.

(On a related note, the idea that people who have been where they are for 60-plus years should still be living in refugee camps is ludicrous. There's no sane reason for it except that the Arab governments get a lot more out of having them continue to live in poverty as a separated "other", focused on bitterness for Israel, instead of working towards integrating them into their societies, as they should have been doing since the beginning... that so many still don't really do that definitely says something about their priorities, I think. They're exploiting the Palenstinians' suffering for political gain.)

Buba Big Guns said:

If you honestly think that that resolution is the one that that Israel's enemies wanted, you're mistaken. It calls for a full and impartial study into what happened, after all -- Israel's enemies don't really want that, they want a criticism and censure and support for the end of the blockade, period. America is never going to support that, but much of the rest of the international community is unfortunately not as strongly on Israel's side (America probably goes a little too far sometimes in supporting the Israeli far right, but that's better than not supporting them enough, and we often use our influence to try to moderate their actions I think, push even the Israeli right towards accepting the two state solution, etc.). So, the enemies of Israel do things like sending these convoys in order to try to get the international community to break the blockade, because it's done such a good job of restricting weapon and money flow to Hamas in Gaza. It's sort of like the American blockade of Iraq, people said "Iraqi children are dying!" ... Well perhaps true, but would it be better if Sadaam really had had chemical or biological weapons again, or a new nuclear program or something like that? And besides, like in Gaza, aid is being given. It's just not distributed to the people fairly. Autocratic regimes who get aid often prefer to keep the stuff for themselves, not give it to the suffering people, sadly enough. Same thing happens with food aid to North Korea too, among many other examples. The Burmese junta was so paranoid that they didn't even allow in any aid at all after the storm killed hundreds of thousands of people in their country a few years ago, they'd rather have all those people die than let anything in...

But anyway, of course aid for suffering people is good. Perhaps Israel should be sending more into Gaza, as long as it isn't stuff that could support the Hamas war effort. But checking whether it is or isn't that material is quite reasonable (ending the blockade would be very bad for Israel, the rocket attacks would surely start up again shortly afterwards), and I have serious doubts whether the stuff is getting fairly distributed in the end anyway.

Fjolle

Buba Big Guns said:

Meh. It's not like (According to the international law experts resident on this forum anyway) that UN has condemned and illegalized the blockade countless times before.

jorma

is now taking requests
A Black Falcon said:
I do trust real democracies more than terrorist organizations, yes... but I was trying to say that I'm not going to just trust everything the Israelis say verbatim,

Well you're not doing a very good job showing it. That was a post filled with so much crazy i can just sit here and smh. Nyong and soul will agree with you though, you can always take solace in that.

Ashes

Banned
A Black Falcon said:
(On a related note, the idea that people who have been where they are for 60-plus years should still be living in refugee camps is ludicrous. There's no sane reason for it except that the Arab governments get a lot more out of having them continue to live in poverty as a separated "other", focused on bitterness for Israel, instead of working towards integrating them into their societies, as they should have been doing since the beginning... that so many still don't really do that definitely says something about their priorities, I think.)

The rest of the post was sort of deja vu. I want to see who else will support this view.

mAcOdIn

Ashes1396 said:
The rest of the post was sort of deja vu. I want to see who else will support this view.
That's half true, most governments do not want to take the Palestinians but where I'd disagree is the part about Muslim governments having to be the ones to take them AND why there should be refugees in the first place. The real problem isn't that refugees in other countries from Palestine are having to live in camps as opposed to always being granted citizenship but that they have to leave their country in the first place, to focus on the camps themselves is just oh so silly. It shouldn't be a problem if countries don't want to take a massive influx of Palestinians because there shouldn't be a massive exodus of Palestinians.

Ashes

Banned
mAcOdIn said:
That's half true, most governments do not want to take the Palestinians but where I'd disagree is the part about Muslim governments having to be the ones to take them AND why there should be refugees in the first place. The real problem isn't that refugees in other countries from Palestine are having to live in camps as opposed to always being granted citizenship but that they have to leave their country in the first place, to focus on the camps themselves is just oh so silly. It shouldn't be a problem if countries don't want to take a massive influx of Palestinians because there shouldn't be a massive exodus of Palestinians.
There's sense in this post.

Aaron

A Black Falcon said:
I do trust real democracies more than terrorist organizations, yes...
You're already trusting Israel to define which is which here. It's amazing how labels like these can ignore the sheer body counts on either side of the conflict, and which group is suffering under the supposed 'democratic' country they have absolutely no say in.

Early American revolutionaries did some horrible shit too. Sam Adams was a great terrorist.

Fjolle said:
Meh. It's not like (According to the international law experts resident on this forum anyway) that UN has condemned and illegalized the blockade countless times before.
Come on, we all know the UN is a toothless dog. They have condemned any number of recent events caused by Israel, who have even killed UN inspectors, and done nothing about it. The strongest dictate what is legal and illegal, and you seem content with that.

mAcOdIn said:

It was sixty years ago. No matter what the reasons for it, the current-day situation is what I'm talking about there. For a comparison, I'm sure many of the Sephardic (Spanish, that is) Jews were very bitter about being forced out of Spain in the late 1400s for instance, but did they spend the next 60 years just complaining and living in poverty? No, of course not, they moved elsewhere and moved on.

Tens of millions of people have been forced to move in the past century, you know. For another example, almost all of the Germans from Eastern Europe were all forced to go to Germany after World War II. Huge numbers died, not that many people cared considering what the Nazis had just done, even though most of the victims were not responsible for that. They're now integrated into German society just like any others, not separated out in refugee camps for the Germans from Russia, the Germans from Poland, the Germans from Czechoslovakia, etc, etc, etc. What the Arabs have done, kept the Palestinians separated out in their own camps where they have little hope, is very, very different... and because anti-Israeli sentiment is increased by poverty, joblessness, and such, people have nothing else to focus on other than their anger. Very convenient for the anti-Israeli side. That anger wouldn't be anywhere near as prevalent had they done the right thing back 60 years ago, and how would they sustain their campaign of hatred without it?

jorma

is now taking requests
A Black Falcon said:
It was sixty years ago. No matter what the reasons for it, the current-day situation is what I'm talking about there. For a comparison, I'm sure many of the Sephardic Jews were very bitter about being forced out of Spain in the late 1400s for instance, but did they spend the next 60 years just complaining and living in poverty? No, of course not, they moved elsewhere and moved on.

You are actually suggesting that palestinians in the west bank and gaza should just yield the land to Israel, move to another arab land (who surely has a duty to accept them) and move on with their lives already? Is that what i'm reading here?

jorma said:
You are actually suggesting that palestinians in the west bank and gaza should just yield the land to Israel, move to another arab land (who surely has a duty to accept them) and move on with their lives already? Is that what i'm reading here?

Huh? No, I said nothing about Israel taking Gaza and the West Bank away or something... I was talking about Israel proper, and comparing the people who were forced to leave it back in the 1940s to the peoples forced to leave other places. Sometimes people move into someone elses' lands and force them to move. It's kind of sad, but it happens. If you just obsess over it forever and never move past that, you're not doing anything useful. Comparing the Palestinian Arabs to the Eastern European Germans or the Spanish Jews or many other groups shows very, very clearly how much worse off the Palestinians are than so many of those groups...

(I said that I support removing the Israeli settlers in the West Bank and returning that land to Palestinian control. But Israel itself has a right to exist and should and will be protected from its enemies who want to destroy it. The West Bank today has a little hope, because it's not in the control of people trying to destroy Israel anymore and thus can begin to actually build something. But Gaza, Gaza is still hopeless in the grip of Hamas...)

Aaron

jorma said:
Hey, it worked for the American Indians. Right? And those oppressed people in ancient Egypt during the time of the pharaohs... now who were they? I can't quite remember, and it seems like I'm not the only one.

A Black Falcon said:
It was sixty years ago. No matter what the reasons for it, the current-day situation is what I'm talking about there. For a comparison, I'm sure many of the Sephardic (Spanish, that is) Jews were very bitter about being forced out of Spain in the late 1400s for instance, but did they spend the next 60 years just complaining and living in poverty? No, of course not, they moved elsewhere and moved on.

This argument is 100% flawed demagoguery. The Sephardic Jews were forced out of a country that wasn't ethnically or historically theirs to begin with, and settled in another country that wasn't ethnically or historically theirs either.

How's that relevant to the Palestinian situation? It's a false comparison.

jorma

is now taking requests
A Black Falcon said:
Read the new version of my post...

If nothing else, your posts makes this line pretty funny:

A Black Falcon said:
but I was trying to say that I'm not going to just trust everything the Israelis say verbatim

And none of it has anything to do with the attack on the ships to gaza.

mAcOdIn

I would say much of the problem is that "Palestine" isn't gone yet, so there's very little real incentive for countries to fully take them on or for them to give up on their land yet, it's a ongoing conflict not a "this is over and deal with it," type thing.

But, also keep in mind some of the countries with those camps, Syria and Lebanon, two countries not exactly rolling in cash or stable on their own to take over the role of providing relief for these people directly if they were to become citizens, it's easier for them to allow Western nations to continue footing a large part of the bill through the UN. I don't know the state of the Jordinian camps and whether they can move on and get citizenship from there or not, Jordan *might* be able to handle them on their own if they dissolved the camps, but frankly, if it was a Western created problem in the first place shouldn't it be a Western based solution? If we are going to carve up their land, then OK refugee camps, maybe they should be in countries that supported the creation of Israel in the first place?

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
nyong said:
If this can be traced to the economic blockade, which it looks like it is, then Israel is certainly responsible and needs to ensure that sufficient food aid is reaching needy families. A 2.5% rise in malnutrition seems pretty significant.

It's worth pointing out that this sort of impact on civilians is what would make the blockade unlawful.

Ashes

Banned
The hard problem for me is the suffering. I see the major power here causing most of the suffering. Is this true do you reckon, A Black Falcon?

jorma

is now taking requests
More testimonials:
Activist İdris Şimşek, who also arrived on Thursday, claims that four wounded activists were thrown into the sea. Şimşek also stated that there was immense psychological pressure on the activists. Şimşek said they expected some harassment but had no inkling of what would happen, noting that they were not expecting an armed attack. He also mentioned that there were no weapons, including a small Swiss army knife that some foreign press organs claimed was on the ship. He stated, as many other activists have, that the person who was waving a white flag to surrender was shot by soldiers. He said that he saw many people lying in puddles of blood after the soldiers opened fire.

Erol Demir, another activist on the Mavi Marmara, said they had footage of the chaos and the carnage on the ship, emphasizing that the footage will show the real face of Israeli solders to the entire world. “They even shot those who surrendered. Many of our friends saw this. They told me that there were handcuffed people who were shot.” All activists stated that Israeli helicopters sprayed cold seawater onto the ship for three hours.

Hakan Albayrak, a journalist from the Yeni Şafak daily who was also on the ship, said: “It was an outright massacre what Israel did out there. They attacked us in international waters. We protected our ship. We had no weapons. I think we lost more people.”

Activist Özlem Şahin Ermiş said 60 soldiers took her hostage. The prisoners were harassed by violent attack dogs and some were badly bitten. She also noted that they were not fed any food or given anything to drink during their initial interrogation on the ship.

http://www.todayszaman.com/tz-web/news-212066-israel-killed-more-than-9-threw-wounded-into-sea-witnesses-say.html

tahrikmili said:
This argument is 100% flawed demagoguery. The Sephardic Jews were forced out of a country that wasn't ethnically or historically theirs to begin with, and settled in another country that wasn't ethnically or historically theirs either.

How's that relevant to the Palestinian situation? It's a false comparison.

Many Germans had been living in Eastern Europe for thousands of years. Then suddenly they were all forced out violently, with a massive loss of life, and had move to another country. And yet Germany did not protest and try to claim that those people should have "RIght of Return", they accepted it and built their new, homogeneous society. Try to call that one a flawed comparison....

But also, the Spanish Jew example shows how back in the Middle Ages, it was the Christians who more persecuted the Jews, and the Muslims who more accepted them. After World War II that made a complete reversal. It's interesting, for people who like history like I do at least...

Aaron said:
Hey, it worked for the American Indians. Right? And those oppressed people in ancient Egypt during the time of the pharaohs... now who were they? I can't quite remember, and it seems like I'm not the only one.

The US certainly did treat the American Indians terribly, no question. They, unluckily for them, mostly died off of Western diseases (90+% of Indians died of Western diseases, it's estimated by many), and were very far behind technologically as well, leaving them with little ability to resist the US... and unlike the Spanish in Latin America, the British had little interest in integrating the Indians into their society in any way. It's definitely an awful history. But we have to deal with the country as it is now, and we're not exactly going to give the whole country back to the Indians or something. And so we've tried to find other ways to even begin to try to compensate for the past... Indian reservations have some self-governing powers, etc. There's still definitely bitterness, of course (and rightfully so), but that alone doesn't solve things. I don't know how directly comparisons can be made between the two cases though, they are quite different.

mAcOdIn said:
I would say much of the problem is that "Palestine" isn't gone yet, so there's very little real incentive for countries to fully take them on or for them to give up on their land yet, it's a ongoing conflict not a "this is over and deal with it," type thing.

But, also keep in mind some of the countries with those camps, Syria and Lebanon, two countries not exactly rolling in cash or stable on their own to take over the role of providing relief for these people directly if they were to become citizens, it's easier for them to allow Western nations to continue footing a large part of the bill through the UN. I don't know the state of the Jordinian camps and whether they can move on and get citizenship from there or not, Jordan *might* be able to handle them on their own if they dissolved the camps, but frankly, if it was a Western created problem in the first place shouldn't it be a Western based solution? If we are going to carve up their land, then OK refugee camps, maybe they should be in countries that supported the creation of Israel in the first place?

Lots of excuses here that don't hold up when you consider how long they have had to come up with solutions, and bad ideas too (oh come on, even if it was somehow offered as if the Palestinians would want to move to Europe or North America or something? I doubt it very much!), but nothing more. No actual solutions to the current situation, certainly. It's really too bad that the Muslim states continue to grandstand like this instead of actually trying to solve their problems internally (or with Western help, I'm sure if there was a genuine offer something would be worked out), it does nobody any good really except the radical extremist recruiters on both sides.

Ashes1396 said:
The hard problem for me is the suffering. I see the major power here causing most of the suffering. Is this true do you reckon, A Black Falcon?

I kind of addressed that already, I think.

A Black Falcon said:
If you honestly think that that resolution is the one that that Israel's enemies wanted, you're mistaken. It calls for a full and impartial study into what happened, after all -- Israel's enemies don't really want that, they want a criticism and censure and support for the end of the blockade, period. America is never going to support that, but much of the rest of the international community is unfortunately not as strongly on Israel's side (America probably goes a little too far sometimes in supporting the Israeli far right, but that's better than not supporting them enough, and we often use our influence to try to moderate their actions I think, push even the Israeli right towards accepting the two state solution, etc.). So, the enemies of Israel do things like sending these convoys in order to try to get the international community to break the blockade, because it's done such a good job of restricting weapon and money flow to Hamas in Gaza. It's sort of like the American blockade of Iraq, people said "Iraqi children are dying!" ... Well perhaps true, but would it be better if Sadaam really had had chemical or biological weapons again, or a new nuclear program or something like that? And besides, like in Gaza, aid is being given. It's just not distributed to the people fairly. Autocratic regimes who get aid often prefer to keep the stuff for themselves, not give it to the suffering people, sadly enough. Same thing happens with food aid to North Korea too, among many other examples. The Burmese junta was so paranoid that they didn't even allow in any aid at all after the storm killed hundreds of thousands of people in their country a few years ago, they'd rather have all those people die than let anything in...

But anyway, of course aid for suffering people is good. Perhaps Israel should be sending more into Gaza, as long as it isn't stuff that could support the Hamas war effort. But checking whether it is or isn't that material is quite reasonable (ending the blockade would be very bad for Israel, the rocket attacks would surely start up again shortly afterwards), and I have serious doubts whether the stuff is getting fairly distributed in the end anyway.

Oh yes, and also, the Gazan people have voted for Hamas, despite knowing what it means. That definitely reduces my sympathy somewhat, innocent victims and people who do things to themselves are not the same. Of course probably the votes were not entirely fair, with how Hamas totally controls Gaza, but still they have a lot of popular support...

Aaron said:
You're already trusting Israel to define which is which here. It's amazing how labels like these can ignore the sheer body counts on either side of the conflict, and which group is suffering under the supposed 'democratic' country they have absolutely no say in.

Early American revolutionaries did some horrible shit too. Sam Adams was a great terrorist.

True, the old saying that one person's terrorist is another person's freedom fighter is probably right. As far as right and wrong go though, every situation is different and needs to be looked at independently. And here for instance, only one side is calling for the utter destruction of the other...

Aaron

A Black Falcon said:
True, the old saying that one person's terrorist is another person's freedom fighter is probably right. As far as right and wrong go though, every situation is different and needs to be looked at independently. And here for instance, only one side is calling for the utter destruction of the other...
While the other side is slowly causing that destruction.

Terrorism doesn't come out of nothing. It's normally something borne out of frustration when a group of people are oppressed and suffering under the uncaring hands of a more powerful group. Situations like this give rise to Hamas. The way to defeat them utterly is to remove the pressure that gives rise to such extremism. This is something Israel has at best given a very token effort towards. Hamas is nothing. Israel could destroy them completely, but they choose not to because it's not in line with their greater interests.

So as long as Israel is allowed to do as they will, the suffering in Gaza will continue. They are fine with Hamas existing because it's a crutch to justify their own terrorism.

Empty

[QUOTE="A Black Falcon]
OH yes, and also, the Gazan people have voted for Hamas, despite knowing what it means. That definitely reduces my sympathy somewhat, innocent victims and people who do things to themselves are not the same. Of course probably the votes were not entirely fair, with how Hamas totally controls Gaza, but still they have a lot of popular support...[/QUOTE]

45% of people living on the gaza strip are children under the age of 15, why should they be punished so severely for an election result from 2006?

Ashes

Banned
Aaron said:
Why should the people who voted be punished? Because they made the 'wrong' choice in the eyes of the rest of the world? That's not democracy. That's a cruel joke.
For the greater good, apparently.

Empty

Aaron said:
Why should the people who voted be punished? Because they made the 'wrong' choice in the eyes of the rest of the world? That's not democracy. That's a cruel joke.

They shouldn't, at all, i think the blockade is an abominable crime against humanity. I just reckon that line of arguing might work better with pro-isreali sympathizer, as their treatment of palestinian children is so fucking indefensible that i find it hard to believe anyone would condone it.

Ruuppa

Sephardic jews/Post-WWII Germans/American Indians -comparisons
Comparisons to previous cases don't help much in such a unique situation, they only seek to oversimplify a complex situation that should be examined on it's own "merits".

mAcOdIn

A Black Falcon said:
Lots of excuses here that don't hold up when you consider how long they have had to come up with solutions, and bad ideas too (oh come on, even if it was somehow offered as if the Palestinians would want to move to Europe or North America or something? I doubt it very much!), but nothing more. No actual solutions to the current situation, certainly. It's really too bad that the Muslim states continue to grandstand like this instead of actually trying to solve their problems internally (or with Western help, I'm sure if there was a genuine offer something would be worked out), it does nobody any good really except the radical extremist recruiters on both sides.
Lol, your argument is nothing more that they should willingly give up their land just cuz.

I have a solution, UN Mandated and enforced two State solution with the original borders and a split Jerusalem. There's solution one. Israel stops dicking around and pretending they want peace and just flat out admit they're never ever giving any land back that they've taken so people from that land can decide for themselves to give up on it or not instead of dangling, what's most likely, a fake fucking carrot in front of their and the world's face. That's solution two. Finally, one of the sides could totally eliminate the other and then clearly the other side would have to leave with no recourse to get their land back, that's solution three.

However, having other countries offer to take in refugees is not a false solution as you claim. The refugee camps are a byproduct of what would seemingly be a much shorter conflict. You say that the Muslim nations insist on handling this themselves but it's not so, they'd love for us to get involved, so sure there's a lot of Muslim apathy towards the Palestinian refugees but there's more Apathy in the west, ever since they were established we've basically upheld the status quo instead of doing much about it. They're fucking refugee's living in refugee camps, you can forcibly, in a manner of speaking, move the camp to another country. There is nothing stopping the US or the UK from creating a nice refugee camp for them all to live in with a path of citizenship. Saying they wouldn't move if we offered is a completely ignorant claim because you don't know if they would. You're using it as an excuse for not trying.

The Muslim States may not be so quick to offer them all permanent citizenship but again, what does that have to do with anything? Why does it need to be Muslim governments? Again, anyone can offer to take them in as citizens or refugees, why is the onus on the Muslim governments, especially among the poorest of them? And why are they the grand-standers when it's Israel that's prevented them from moving back? Further, their reasoning does make sense in a heartless way, if there is a quick and easy path for people to no longer be "Palestinian" and all Isreal needs to do is kick people out each year until there's none left and the surrounding countries just take them in one by one, what would stop Israel from doing that? It is partly that no one will take them that Israel can't kick them all out.

I don't want to throw the racist card out there, but I don't understand why it's Muslim this, Muslim that with regard to who needs to deal with this with you. They didn't create this problem it was created because of western meddling, it's like we went in, fucked up their sand castle and told them to fix it themselves and then blame them when it's shit.

But anyways, the situation was caused by Western meddling, I think it's time for the West to meddle again.

Aaron said:

Elections have consequences, yes they most certainly do. That is what democracy is, and why it's so great: People vote, and then things happen depending on how they voted. Of course Israel is going to try to punish people who voted for Hamas. Just compare Gaza to the West Bank, the ones who voted against Hamas are comparatively rewarded, the ones who voted for it punished. (It would be good if Palestine could have true, multi-party elections and democracy with two major parties that both aren't trying to destroy Israel... but at least they HAVE elections, which is more than can be said for a lot of the Arabic world...)

As for how long ago the last election was, considering that Hamas and Fatah are not exactly friendly, I'm not exactly expecting Hamas to hold a true, open, multiparty democratic election in Gaza anytime soon... even in a dominated territory, every election that isn't rigged is an unknown. Right now they have unquestioned power there. Why potentially damage that with an election? There's always a chance that the people would realize that they'd be better off if they had done like the West Bank did...

jorma

is now taking requests
Some more testimonials:

Ali Buhamd, deported from Israel along with 18 other activists, was on the Mavi Marmara, a passenger ship in the flotilla that was attacked by Israeli naval forces in international waters on Monday. There are at least nine dead because of the attack according to Israeli officials, but witnesses, such as Humanitarian Aid Foundation (İHH) President Bülent Yıldırım, say more people were killed and their bodies dumped into the sea.

Buhamd said: “I saw a soldier shooting a wounded Turk in the head. There was another Turk asking for help, but he bled to death.”

Kevin Ovenden of Britain, who arrived in İstanbul on Thursday, said a man who had pointed a camera at the soldiers was shot directly through the forehead with live ammunition, with the exit wound blowing away the back of his skull.

Lawyer Mubarak Al Mutava, who was on the same ship, also shared the moments of horror the passengers of the humanitarian aid ship faced at the hands of Israeli attackers. “Israeli commandos opened fire at us. They killed many activists even before they got on board. I should assure you that not a single volunteer possessed any kind of firearm.”

A French activist on the ship, Youssef Ben Derbal, said: “It was really an effective attack. You should have been there. They had tiny boats in the middle of the night. Commandos with their masks and guns, helicopters and warships. They all came suddenly at the same time. We had orders from the start that there was going to be no provocation of the Israelis who got on the ship. And there was none.”

Yücel Köse, who was on the ship Gazze, said: “The Mavi Marmara was attacked right before our eyes. They threw in bombs, making the ship completely invisible. We heard that they threw injured people into the sea because they were angered that our friends held some of their soldiers.”

Yalçın Salel, who was aboard Gazze-1 said: “They kept pointing a gun at us the entire time. They were firing guns on the Mavi Marmara. We did not put up any resistance when they got on our ship. The soldiers clubbed me with rifle butts. My hand got stuck in the door and was badly injured. They did not meet our needs when we were under detention. We asked for water, they didn’t give any. We asked for food, they gave us a sandwich to mock us.”

http://www.todayszaman.com/tz-web/news-212069-gaza-returnees-share-horror-stories-from-israel.html

How many of these are needed until they cannot just be shrugged aside as lies?

mAcOdIn

A Black Falcon said:
Lots of excuses here that don't hold up when you consider how long they have had to come up with solutions, and bad ideas too (oh come on, even if it was somehow offered as if the Palestinians would want to move to Europe or North America or something? I doubt it very much!), but nothing more.
Well, I know I already responded but I wanted to address this again. You're probably completely full of crap. Sweden took in 137 refugees from India who had taken them in from Iraq because of the Iraq war. 165 Palestinians left Iraq for India and 137 decided to move to Sweden, that's well over 80 percent. http://www.unhcr.org/news/NEWS/4919b20b4.html

Granted they weren't from a "proper" refugee camp however that's a pretty large percentage that raises doubt to your claim that most would choose against it if given the opportunity.

Xeke said:
Nothing compared to running a military blockade.

So you don't like others comparing the African-American movement with Palestinians but when it comes to the most stupid comparison between riots and going against an illegal military blockade you go ahead and do it -and what a surprise- you decided the second is much worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom