• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaza clashes: Dozens killed ahead of US embassy opening in Jerusalem

llien

At least 37 Palestinians have been killed and 1,300 wounded by Israeli troops in clashes on the Gaza border, Palestinian officials say.
The violence comes before the opening of the US embassy in Jerusalem, which has infuriated Palestinians.
They see it as clear US backing for Israeli rule over the whole city, whose eastern part Palestinians lay claim to.
Top US officials, including President Donald Trump's daughter and her husband, will attend Monday's event.
Gaza's Islamist rulers, Hamas, have led mass protests in a "Great March of Return" for the past six weeks. Israel says demonstrators are trying to breach the border fence.
Children were among those killed on Monday, the Hamas-run health ministry says.
Palestinians hurled stones and firebombs, while the Israeli military used snipers as black smoke poured from burning tyres.
Israel's army said 35,000 Palestinians were taking part in "violent riots" along the security fence and that its troops were operating "in accordance with standard procedures"
Q6Ivyp9.jpg

What is going on in Gaza?
Palestinians have held weekly protests there in the run-up to their annual commemoration of what they call the Nakba or Catastrophe, when hundreds of thousands of their people fled their homes or were displaced following the foundation of the Israeli state on 14 May, 1948.
Scores of Palestinians have been killed since the protests began. Thousands more have been wounded.
Hamas, which is in a state of conflict with Israel, had said it would step up protests in the lead-up to Tuesday, the official Nakba commemoration.
Israel says the protests are aimed at breaching the border, which it guards heavily, and attacking Israeli communities nearby.
The Israeli military said it had killed three people trying to plant explosives near the security fence in Rafah.
It says it wants to draw attention to what Palestinians insist is their right to return to ancestral homes in what became Israel.
"Today is the big day when we will cross the fence and tell Israel and the world we will not accept being occupied forever," a science teacher in Gaza, Ali, told Reuters news agency.

Why is the embassy move so controversial?
Israeli sovereignty over Jerusalem is not recognised internationally and, according to the 1993 Israel-Palestinian peace accords, the final status of Jerusalem is meant to be discussed in the latter stages of peace talks.
Israel has occupied East Jerusalem since the 1967 Middle East war. It effectively annexed the sector, though this was not recognised by any countries until Mr Trump's declaration in December 2017.

BBC

Would not be surprised if the next step is to remove the Palenstines from East Jerusalem now that Jersulam is officially the capital of Israel. Do not understand why does the Isreali government makes it hard for people living in East Jerusalem.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I feel like this was pretty easy to see coming. I just wonder if the violence and hostility will die down over time or if the embassy moving to Jerusalem will keep the fire lit for years to come.....

llien

Would not be surprised if the next step is to remove the Palenstines from East Jerusalem now that Jersulam is officially the capital of Israel.
Israel declared "complete and united" Jerusalem to be part of Israel back in 1980.
Note that from dominant Israeli perspective there is no Palestine, West Bank is also Israel.

I feel like this was pretty easy to see coming. I just wonder if the violence and hostility will die down over time or if the embassy moving to Jerusalem will keep the fire lit for years to come.....
Given the price Palestinians have to pay for resistance and decades of Israel's experience of dealing with it, I doubt it would last long.

Last edited:

TheMikado

Banned
Queue Russia and China to "step-in" and claim the US supports terrorism and regional destabilization of legitimate governments around the world...

bucyou

While there is truth to 'you reap what you sow', there is always collateral damage. Can we try be a bit more tactful with analogies when making a point. There is a discussion to be had about catalysts and intercession and at what behest, with respect.
Guess they deserved getting massacred then.

play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Maybe don't freely elect a terrorist organization to be your elected government, its no surprise they will send civilians to the border to cause violence, its kinda what they do.

appaws

Banned
Fuck man. I hate that shit. I know there are always two sides, and shades of gray and all that, but I think we (the US) should be pulled back from all this. So many of our actions enable Israel's bad behavior.

Fuck man. I hate that shit. I know there are always two sides, and shades of gray and all that, but I think we (the US) should be pulled back from all this. So many of our actions enable Israel's bad behavior.

This is how I feel also as well. It's Israel's prerogative to do whatever they're going to do against a state with which they're at war. But by engaging with them, that makes Palestine our enemy now, too. This was a stupid fucking move by us.

Manus

Guess they deserved getting massacred then.

I mean they were pretty simple instructions to follow. If you want to leave don't cause a ruckus. Plus it's not friendly protesting. Their throwing malotov cocktails like mad.

womfalcs3

Banned
I mean they were pretty simple instructions to follow. If you want to leave don't cause a ruckus. Plus it's not friendly protesting. Their throwing malotov cocktails like mad.

So they can't protest when their homes are being forcibly confiscated? I guess it's okay if Russia gives another group of people Washington, DC, and forces all of DC's residents out. They shouldn't resist being driven out. The US is vast... I'm sure the residents of DC could just relocate.

It further infuriates them when they see other countries support Israeli oppression.

Last edited:

bucyou

So they can't protest when their homes are being forcibly confiscated? I guess it's okay if Russia gives another group of people Washington, DC, and forces all of DC's residents out. They shouldn't resist being driven out. The US is vast... I'm sure the residents of DC could just relocate.

It further infuriates them when they see other countries support Israeli oppression.

Here is a bit of recent, though apparently forgotten, history: In 2003, the then-prime minister of Israel, Ariel Sharon, announced that Israel would unilaterally withdraw about 8,500 settlers from its 21 settlements in the Gaza Strip, and pull out its army as well. The territory would be handed over, in its entirety, to the Palestinian Authority.

In the summer of 2005, he executed the plan, ordering the Israeli army to expel the settlers. It would have been better, for many reasons, for Sharon to have negotiated this handover directly with his adversaries. But the fact remains that Israel gave the Palestinians of Gaza what they claimed they wanted: their territory, which they said would become part of their independent state.

How did Gazans respond? First, looters destroyed the vast settlement greenhouses that could have formed the basis of a new Gaza economy. Then, voters elected into power Hamas, a terrorist organization devoted to the annihilation of Israel. Gaza quickly became a launching pad for rocket attacks against Israeli towns.
https://www.theatlantic.com/interna...d-israel-give-up-territory-after-gaza/244995/

your vapidness is astounding

cryptoadam

Banned

No homes are being confiscated in Gaza. Israel left Gaza in 2005.

The oppression is coming from Hamas and Abbas.

Abbas has laid a siege to Gaza

https://www.jpost.com/Arab-Israeli-Conflict/Abbas-threatens-to-further-cut-Gaza-funds-501756

Cut power, medicines, and salaries.

Hamas steals UN aid

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...rael-says-u-n-aid-used-by-hamas-idUSKCN10K1SI

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2009/feb/06/gaza-un-aid-hamas

Hamas "instructed" the press on how to cover the story, to make sure their propaganda gets out to the rest of the world

https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/12178/hamas-press-office

Hamas leader saying the real reason for the riots

"Rip out the Jews hearts from their bodies"

Israel has Nazi's at their door trying to violently invade their country.

Abbas about a week ago gave a neo nazi speech. He trudged up old Nazi canards like Jews are greedy money grubbers and are the reason for the holocaust. They are all decedents of Khazars so they aren't really jews anyways. His speech could of been lifted from Daily Stomer.

Palestinians flying Nazi flags and swatstika's
nazi-flag-gaza.jpg

Palestinains praising Hitler

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/244332

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wo...tinian-youth-magazine-over-Hitler-praise.html

https://www.timesofisrael.com/pales...ed-for-incitement-praised-hitler-on-facebook/

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/206773

Palestinans aligned and collaborated with the Nazi's in WW2. The Mufti Amin Al-Husseini was a guest of Hitlers and was given a tour of Nazi concentration camps. He was hand picked to train the Muslim SS division in Bosnia. I wonder how many mass graves they were responsible for?

Hassan Salameh was tasked by the Nazi's to poisoning Tel Aviv's water sources.

Both have schools named after them

http://palwatch.org/main.aspx?fi=157&doc_id=21130

Jews know what happens when you deal with Nazi's.

Spheyr

Banned
I don't see anything wrong with what she said, it's all legitimately true facts, crack a Bible, look it up. It's all in there.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
[QUOTE="AranS, post: 253260441, member: 656478"]I don't see anything wrong with what she said, it's all legitimately true facts, crack a Bible, look it up. It's all in there.[/QUOTE]

wat

DKehoe

Why should the Jews be denied a homeland for themselves and no others if they desire it?

If other people were already there then it's a problem if Israel wants their homeland to only be for themselves and no others.

Spheyr

Banned
If other people were already there then it's a problem if Israel wants their homeland to only be for themselves and no others.
The people who were there were only there because they had killed the Jews who lived there and took over.

DKehoe

The people who were there were only there because they had killed the Jews who lived there and took over.

Some will be descendants of the people who drove out the Jews from Israel, others will be from the various other groups of people who moved into that land following that. It's changed hands a lot over the space of thousands of years. So when you then try and say "only this group gets to live here, none of the others can" it creates problems.

Why doesn't the land belong to the Canaanites? They were there first.

cryptoadam

Banned
Some will be descendants of the people who drove out the Jews from Israel, others will be from the various other groups of people who moved into that land following that. It's changed hands a lot over the space of thousands of years. So when you then try and say "only this group gets to live here, none of the others can" it creates problems.

Why doesn't the land belong to the Canaanites? They were there first.

20% of Israel population isn't Jewish. Its not only Jews that can live there. But Israel is the homeland of the Jewish people and the ONE and ONLY Jewish country in the world. Israel isn't kicking out its 20% non jewish population.

How about Jordan give back its citizenship it stripped in 1988 from the Arabs of the WB and rendered them stateless.

DKehoe

20% of Israel population isn't Jewish. Its not only Jews that can live there. But Israel is the homeland of the Jewish people and the ONE and ONLY Jewish country in the world. Israel isn't kicking out its 20% non jewish population.

How about Jordan give back its citizenship it stripped in 1988 from the Arabs of the WB and rendered them stateless.

Just to be clear, I was just responding to AranS' post which said Israel should be able to be a country that's for just for Jews and no-one else. I'm not saying Israel shouldn't exist. I was just trying to say it's a very complex issue and there's no simple solution.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Just to be clear, I was just responding to AranS' post which said Israel should be able to be a country that's for just for Jews and no-one else. I'm not saying Israel shouldn't exist. I was just trying to say it's a very complex issue and there's no simple solution.

I see. Yes the issue is complex.

cryptoadam

Banned
Did they shoot only the attackers or were the peaceful protesters who broke no laws fired on to?

There's a reason police don't shoot into crowds.

Well considering that 80% of the previous dead were found to have links to terrorist organizations I will take the IDF's word that they are targeting violent rioters. Also keep in mind that Gazan's are burning tires and using mirrors to purposefully blind the IDF.

You can find many images and videos of the fence being attacked or kite bombs being flown.

https://www.jpost.com/Arab-Israeli-...ks-as-40000-take-part-in-Gaza-protests-556386

And again all info from the "Gaza Health Minsitry" = Hamas. Its like taking at face value press releases from North Korea. And as I wrote above Hamas is releasing propaganda to downplay the violence:

https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/12178/hamas-press-office

LordOfChaos

I'm truly sympathetic to the loss of any innocent life, and it seems self evident that some will have been.

I'm going to throw it out there though that me and several news agencies I've seen how have different mental images of what a peaceful protest looks like, watching the footage. Fires, smog, densely packed, throwing rocks and fire bombs...Collateral seems inevitable just looking at the footage.

Israel could serve to show more restraint. Hamas could serve to not organize this stuff and not send children into it...

Last edited:

Mohonky

Would not be surprised if the next step is to remove the Palenstines from East Jerusalem now that Jersulam is officially the capital of Israel. Do not understand why does the Isreali government makes it hard for people living in East Jerusalem.
Almost guarantee it.

zelo-ca

Sounds like a peaceful protest.....

"We are excited to storm and get inside". When asked what he would do in Israel he said. "Whatever is possible, to kill, throw stones."

Last edited:
Top Bottom