• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaze into the fist |OT| DREDD 3D

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Finally saw this and had a blast. No fat whatsoever. I wish more comic book movies would take the small intimate story route over the epic trilogies that eventually shit the bed.

DieH@rd

Banned
Will blind-buy, hope I'm not making a mistake.

You are not. 90 minutes of concentrated action, faithful to the dark comic universe [withing the limits of the budget] and very brutal. Karl Urban played Dredd like a boss and Olivia brought perfect amount of humanity into film.

You are not. 90 minutes of concentrated action, faithful to the dark comic universe [withing the limits of the budget] and very brutal. Karl Urban played Dredd like a boss and Olivia brought perfect amount of humanity into film.

lolol, probably the best blind-buy you will ever make.

See, you guys get me excited...

raid was much better than dread. they both are very similar movie.
Then this kind of worries me. I absolutely loved The Raid and was really hoping this wasn't just a rehash.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Then this kind of worries me. I absolutely loved The Raid and was really hoping this wasn't just a rehash.

I wouldn't worry about it. Die Hard did the Man vs. Building premise 20 years ago and I still enjoy both The Raid and Dredd. People are way too eager to compare these movies.

I am disappointed by the lack of special features. I expected them to go balls deep with regards to special features but they didn't stick the tip in. Maybe they are hoping for double dipping

http://www.avforums.com/movies/Dredd-3D-review_11138/blu-ray.html

Thanks for the heads up

man, this fucking suuuucks

Guess I'll wait to pick it up for cheap

raid was much better than dread. they both are very similar movie.

The Raid has better moment to moment action than Dread ...that's about it. It's a fantastic movie for sure, but Dredd is most certainly better.

Any fan of the genre should have both The Raid AND Dredd on their shelf. Watch em back to back for a great "trapped in a building gotta kill fools" high intensity, electronic soundtrack, unflinching violence experience.

Not nice. Fucking bullshit.

If its region locked, I'll be pissed off.

this right here. no region free = not buying until it hits the bargain bins. as much as I loved the movie, I refuse to support bare bone releases when other regions get a fairly substantial amount of extra content.

Brilliant film. Such focused action. I loved it. Ma-Ma was wonderful. You can't have great tension without a great villain. Even so disfigured and with horrible teeth I would still hit it, but not as much as Rookie. I am in LOVE!!!!!

I also love how this film is no-nonsense no-bullshit. This film will have a lot rewatchable due to this. I can't wait until more Dredd's that expand. What is the "red territory"? What will happen more with mutants? and what is it like to be in an iso-cube. I'm already more heavily invested in this than I was in Prometheus (despite liking it). I am ready for more Dredd. The action was tight, the extreme club banging concrete dirty music was great. I found Dog Mantles cinematography sexy. The special effects of the slo-mo was fantastic. It simulated it perfect and made me want to do the drug. how everything glittered in diamonds. Perfect.

I have so much great things to say about this film, but most of all - it's a focused action films that doesn' dwindle into repetitiveness. For what it is, just an action film it hits all the right buttons. Some of the critics seem to dislike it for what it is. I fouind it to be excellent.

Any fan of the genre should have both The Raid AND Dredd on their shelf. Watch em back to back for a great "trapped in a building gotta kill fools" high intensity, electronic soundtrack, unflinching violence experience.

Yeah. Someone told me you only need to see one of them. Total bullshit. They are both epic. Raid brings the martial arts, and squibs on a whole different level. It has the Asian action feel to it. It's a modern Hong Kong classic (even thou it's Indonesian). Dredd brings the sci-fi, the chaos, the immersive world.

Fox Mulder

Yeah. Someone told me you only need to see one of them. Total bullshit. They are both epic. Raid brings the martial arts, and squibs on a whole different level. It has the Asian action feel to it. It's a modern Hong Kong classic (even thou it's Indonesian). Dredd brings the sci-fi, the chaos, the immersive world.

well it's not awful to suggest only one to someone, the plots are very similar. I own and like the Raid, but loved Dredd. It's a style choice really.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Put me in the group that prefers Dredd over The Raid (which I like). The pacing in The Raid felt like it had a little slack compared to Dredd. I also prefer the sci-fi scenario and the entertaining element Judge Dredd brought.

SmithnCo

Put me in the group that prefers Dredd over The Raid (which I like). The pacing in The Raid felt like it had a little slack compared to Dredd. I also prefer the sci-fi scenario and the entertaining element Judge Dredd brought.

I'd agree, I like both but I liked Dredd's pacing more. Can't wait for the Blu-Ray.

Saw this at a second run theater.

What the HELL was I thinking holding off seeing it?

I expected a b-tier action movie with a few interesting hooks, but EVERYTHING was interesting.

• They went out of their way to give every goon a personality and motivation.
  • Dredd was a living mountain of badassery, especially during the denouement.
  • The rookie was still fairly empowered through the whole ordeal, and not just exposition baggage.
  • The acting on Mama made her so much more than a silly one note villain.
  • The Game of Death-esque setting was perfect, and entirely enough from The Raid: Redemption.
This is the great tragedy of our times that there will never be a sequel.

I hope the 3D blu-ray will be out next month as well. One of the few films where 3D gimmicks paid off for me, I actually can't imagine watching in 2D.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
US version has a 2.0 track. nice.
I could see this getting a fuller blu release down the line.

What could be next, Movie, Live action series, Cartoon, Nothing :(.

Domestic: $13,414,714 - 43.4%
+ Foreign: $17,517,232 - 56.6%

= Worldwide: $30,931,946

Production Budget: $50 million

From boxofficemojo, so, yeah.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

I know it's futile, but I'm still crossing my fingers for brisk Blu-ray sales. Still, missing the Christmas window wrote its doom.

GhaleonEB

I know it's futile, but I'm still crossing my fingers for brisk Blu-ray sales. Still, missing the Christmas window wrote its doom.

I do hope it finds an audience on Blu-Ray. It won't sell gangbusters but a slow and steady build would be nice to see. Though it's probably more likely to be one of those movie we reference as being tragically neglected by everyone, for years. :(

What I don't get is how this flopped overseas though, especially in well you know, the UK (T___T)

Already excited to see it again

What I don't get is how this flopped overseas though, especially in well you know, the UK (T___T)

Already excited to see it again

It was an 18-cert screening almost exclusively in 3D over here in the UK, and I think the buzz for 3D (at least in the audience old enough to see the movie in the cinema) has faded considerably. Although there were other factors counting against it - the poor previous adaptation etc. - the movie had great word-of-mouth, good reviews and should have done better.

It was an 18-cert screening almost exclusively in 3D over here in the UK, and I think the buzz for 3D (at least in the audience old enough to see the movie in the cinema) has faded considerably. Although there were other factors counting against it - the poor previous adaptation etc. - the movie had great word-of-mouth, good reviews and should have done better.

Ah, I see

Still very upsetting

Unforunately, the POS Stallone movie was my first introduction to the character. Grew up in Florida.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Bunch of negative nellies in here...well get a sequel. Positive vibes man.

High Def Digest Review

HDD said:
'Dredd' is the best action film of 2012, as well as one of the most faithful comic book adaptations of all time. Karl Urban becomes Dredd, and Lena Headey is downright despicable as the notorious Ma-Ma. The movie is relentless and driving, nothing but pure action from start to finish. The 3D transfer on this Blu-ray disc is absolutely stunning, with incredible clarity and immense depth with almost no ghosting. The 2D transfer isn't quite as immaculate, with unfortunate digital noise in many of the darker shots. The DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 mix is bold and aggressive, one of the best I've heard all year, and Neo:X compatible if your receiver can handle it. Sadly, the extras here are meager.

If you didn't see this movie, and judging by worldwide box office receipts most people didn't, please heed all the good reviews and buy this Blu-ray. There are literally hundreds of stories that can be culled from the 'Judge Dredd' universe, and according to writer/producer Alex Garland, he had some big plans for future installments. If enough people buy this Blu-ray and show the studio that there's an audience for more 'Dredd' material, that might be enough to get someone to green light a sequel.

As a comic book fan, and an action movie fan, I urge every one of you who reads this to go out and buy a copy. If you don't comply...you will be judged.

damn straight

In retrospect, yep, it probably is my favorite of the entire year next to Wreck it Ralph

Fry

No doubt. The Raid's not even that good. The main character was awesome, though, and provided all the great scenes.

ezekial45

Banned
I'll be there for the blu ray day 1. It's a fantastic movie, and I had so much fun watching it. It's the best comic book/action movie of 2012 as far as I'm concerned.

HiResDes

Raid > Dredd. The guy was right. Also I don't get all of the Mamma as villain of the year choices, besides the incredible imagery her role felt quite shallow and formulaic.

Top Bottom