• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaze into the fist |OT| DREDD 3D

Fry

Dredd was all shoot-out action scenes. The Raid focused way more in the fighting scenes.

I gotta say that The Raid was more competent in that aspect, but still doesn't make it a better movie for me, not by a long shot.

HiResDes

It was pretty good, but honestly it didn't seem dynamic or extraordinary enough to really stand out...Now the imagery, camera work, and gore are much more impressive than the rather stagnant choreography.

Define better? I felt they were extremely repetitive.

Yup, some amazing fights, but yes I also found them to be repetitive towards the end. Was especially dissapointed that there's only one real shoot-out in a building filled with armed thugs. Saying they all ran out of ammo is just a cop out. Huge potential for them to finally nail some old school Hong Kong bullet-cinema, but that's not the film they went for.
Ultimately it's another martial arts film with a great premise and inspiring production history.

Yup, some amazing fights, but yes I also found them to be repetitive towards the end. Was especially dissapointed that there's only one real shoot-out in a building filled with armed thugs. Saying they all ran out of ammo is just a cop out. Huge potential for them to finally nail some old school Hong Kong bullet-cinema, but that's not the film they went for.
Ultimately it's another martial arts film with a great premise and inspiring production history.

I don't think the director could handle Hong Kong bullet shit. He's clearly more in line with the hand to hand stuff judging by his previous film.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I fell in love with Olivia Thrilby watching this.
You're not the only one. Who knew Juno's friend had it like that?

This scene along with the final death scene were outstanding. It was glorious on the big screen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-fQkmURR_E&hd=1

the sound designers deserve an oscar nod too. They did some crazy stuff in this movie.
I convinced a lot of people to watch this movie based on that clip. Slo-mo/bullet time type stuff has obviously been done plenty of times but it really looked gorgeous in this movie.

Hellion

People shouldn't give up on a sequel, buy the blu ray and tell your friends about it. If Kick-ass managed to get a sequel due to its blu ray and DVD sale. Dredd should be no different.

People shouldn't give up on a sequel, buy the blu ray and tell your friends about it. If Kick-ass managed to get a sequel due to its blu ray and DVD sale. Dredd should be no different.
While I'm sure that contributed to Kick-Ass 2, it also cost around $30 mil and made somewhere around $100 mil WW.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Just saw this for the first time 2 days ago. What a badass movie, truly one of the best of 2012 (and this was a particularly good year in film).

That soundtrack...I love that unce unce unce when something badass is about to happen.

cackhyena

I liked this waaaaay more than I thought I would. So this and Cloud Atlas make up for Prometheus and Total Recall in the sci fi department for me this year.

Sub_Level

I liked this waaaaay more than I thought I would. So this and Cloud Atlas make up for Prometheus and Total Recall in the sci fi department for me this year.

It's a shame because Prometheus had some REALLY good designs and sets while Total Recall had Bryan Cranston and dat Beckinsale. I think Prometheus disappointed more though because you could already tell how Total Recall was shaping up before release. I'm biased though since Alien and Aliens are two of my favorites. Do need to check out Cloud Atlas.

Rich!

Best parts of the film:

1. *sees minigun*. "Oh shit."

2. Ma ma is not the law. I am the law

3. Your sentence is death...any words in defence? Thought so. "Throws off top of building"

Most badass film since the 80s, for sure

Also, Garland confirmed that if a sequel is ever greenlit, it will centre around Judge Death and the Dark Judges. PLEASE! EVERYONE BUY THE BLURAY/DVD SO THIS CAN HAPPEN!!!

Sub_Level

Most badass film since the 80s, for sure

tumblr_m4wg53pOTL1rolf0zo1_250.gif

2254315_o.gif

tino

Banned
I just saw this movie.

I really appreciate someone finally made a all out male movie just for the guys.

No more non sense speech before killing the villain.

Also I really fucking hate Cersei. Not the woman who played her, I think she is weak. But I still enjoy the hell out of the sequence of throwing Cersei's sorry ass out of the building.

Not sure if this is a good sign, but a load of props are to be auctioned off soon.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/propstore-auction

Would love a Judge's helmet but I expect them to be very costly.

not be a downer, but when this happens with tv shows, it usually means it's over for that show.

if the same applies here, we won't be seeing a sequel any time soon / if ever with karl urban. we might get another reboot in a few years, but I fear it's over for the current dredd. :(

Loofy

I watched this at a friends house, he pirated the 3D version. My gawd this movie was amazing and Im definitely getting the blu ray. I even went and bought the 1995 bluray with stallone today just to get my dredd fix. I remember liking it back then but I really dont remember much.
It'll be sad if they dont make more. Even sadder if Olivia isnt in it(Anderson seems to be a major character just looking at wiki)

Time for the nitpicking. Spoilers**
So when anderson and dredd got out into the skate park to contact the hall of justice.. why didnt they just ask them to send a helicopter?

DiddyBop

One of the best films I saw in 2012 for sure. Was a real treat to see on the big screen in 3D with theater sound systems. One of those movies where a bit of the spectacle will be lost in home theaters. The slo mo sequences were the best use of 3D I've seen in theaters imo, just so fun.

This movie was far better than it had any right to be be. They absolutely nailed the 200AD Dredd. I really bought in to the fact that the Judges were fighting a losing battle trying to bring any sort of order to MC1. As much as the Dark Judges are possibly my favourite part of the Dredd universe, I would prefer any sequel (please, please, let there be a sequel) to focus on the complete breakdown of society in MC1, a block war or even a full scale civil war. I don't feel the supernatural stuff Judge Death brings to the table would be a good fit for the universe that has been created here. Be happy to get proved wrong though.

black_13

Banned
My GOD THIS MOVIE IS SO KICKASS!

Dare I say the most overall badass movie since Terminator 2. Straight up Dredd is badass and Karl Urban nailed it. Loved his chin expressions.

I'm buying the blu-ray day 1 just for the 3D. Done so well. The whole movie looked incredible.

I've got to be honest, this ended up being a LOT better than I originally anticipated.

Maybe I'll pick up the Blu-Ray.

It's a shame I can't unsee Lena Headley as Cersei Lannister, though.

Me too guys, definitely supporting this by purchasing the blu-ray. Have we any hope of a sequel do you think? Were the box office numbers good?

Kinyou

This movie was far better than it had any right to be be. They absolutely nailed the 200AD Dredd. I really bought in to the fact that the Judges were fighting a losing battle trying to bring any sort of order to MC1. As much as the Dark Judges are possibly my favourite part of the Dredd universe, I would prefer any sequel (please, please, let there be a sequel) to focus on the complete breakdown of society in MC1, a block war or even a full scale civil war. I don't feel the supernatural stuff Judge Death brings to the table would be a good fit for the universe that has been created here. Be happy to get proved wrong though.
I find the universe very intriguing. The way the Judges are the good guys but at the same time incredibly ruthless just makes the whole thing very interesting.

Can you guys recommend an issue of the comics that is good to hop in? Something that is available for the iphone/ipad would be preferable.

Bleepey

The movie was good but not perfect. I feel fleshing out Mama's story as they did in the prologue could have added some social satire that was needed. I read somewhere that Pete Travis wanted to do this but Alex Garland wanted a straight action film.

Kinyou

The movie was good but not perfect. I feel fleshing out Mama's story as they did in the prologue could have added some social satire that was needed. I read somewhere that Pete Travis wanted to do this but Alex Garland wanted a straight action film.

extended flashback scene:

castrate8zydm.gif

Snaku

Banned
Dredd is live on iTunes. Downloading overnight. Sucks shit that I'm sick, but at least I'll have something nice to wake up to.

Top Bottom