• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaze into the fist |OT| DREDD 3D

Fox Mulder

Too bad there's no bluray + DVD combo pack like I prefer to buy for big movies, just bluray or DVD with proprietary digital copies.

It's out today in North America....BUY BUY BUY!
Got mine today; did my part.
Too bad there's no bluray + DVD combo pack like I prefer to buy for big movies, just bluray or DVD with proprietary digital copies.
One thing that was kind of nice was you get your choice of digital copies: iTunes or (and? not sure) Ultraviolet. Hadn't seen that done before. Which isn't to say that isn't a common thing, just one I hadn't noticed. Though I never pay attention to the digital copy or DVD in these crazy bundles...

SKINNER!

Banned
Damn you Aussie-GAF!! I want my blu-ray version with that sweet cover :(

UeOyi.jpg

http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/dvd/dvd-genres/action-adventure/dredd-3d-blu-ray/678319

And, I would've posted this earlier today at work but that gif above....yeah, I was close to getting in trouble.

nomis

Best parts of the film:

1. *sees minigun*. "Oh shit."

2. Ma ma is not the law. I am the law

3. Your sentence is death...any words in defence? Thought so. "Throws off top of building"

Most badass film since the 80s, for sure

Also, Garland confirmed that if a sequel is ever greenlit, it will centre around Judge Death and the Dark Judges. PLEASE! EVERYONE BUY THE BLURAY/DVD SO THIS CAN HAPPEN!!!

Maaaan, it was even better than that...

"How do you plead?"

*exhales slowmo*

"Defense noted."

Just finished watching my Bluray copy. Dat 3D!!! So good.

But there's one thing that disappointed me. There's one scene where blood actually breaches the letterbox (saw it in 2D at a friend's place a week ago, so it was a pirated copy - it resulted in 2 sales though :/), but it seems to be absent in the 3D version. It's a small thing but I thought it was a nice touch, and I think it would've looked especially awesome in 3D.

Aside from that, I really enjoyed the movie (hence, the reason I bought it on day 1). Hope we get to see a sequel.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Is there any point to Blu Ray anymore when these movies are in 1080p on iTunes and can be downloaded to any device?

When you want the best quality possible? Downloading and transferring to other devices is fine and all but when I'm watching something on the big screen I want the best IQ. I would think streams and downloads aren't sporting the same bitrate as playing off the disk.

Loxley

Rented it on Amazon Instant, loved it. It knows exactly what kind of movie it is and was shockingly devoid of any real cheese. I actually kind of gave a shit about what was happening. They could have totally made "Mama" a scenery-chewing villainess, but she was surprisingly restrained. In fact, the performances all around were great.

My only gripe, is actually a gripe I have with a lot of action movies these days; I can spot a digital blood splatter from a mile away and it always bugs me. Not enough to ruin the film, but I really wish the film was all practical blood effects (with the exception of the slow-mo scenes, obviously).

Also, props to Karl Urban for being a sport and not stipulating in his contract that the helmet needs to come off at some point. I may actually pick up the blu-ray for this.

Alphahawk

One thing that was kind of nice was you get your choice of digital copies: iTunes or (and? not sure) Ultraviolet. Hadn't seen that done before. Which isn't to say that isn't a common thing, just one I hadn't noticed. Though I never pay attention to the digital copy or DVD in these crazy bundles...

Is Ultraviolet not compatible with iTunes? I thought the big selling point was that it was compatible with everything.

Snaku

Banned
But there's one thing that disappointed me. There's one scene where blood actually breaches the letterbox (saw it in 2D at a friend's place a week ago, so it was a pirated copy - it resulted in 2 sales though :/), but it seems to be absent in the 3D version. It's a small thing but I thought it was a nice touch, and I think it would've looked especially awesome in 3D.

Yeah, this was also cropped out in my iTunes copy. I was very disappointed, and was considering picking up the disc version too, but it seems like they fucked it up on all versions. Inexcusable.

Snake

I was loving this movie and then, out of nowhere, that computer guy was listening to the theme from Snuff Box. And my love was tenfold.

Also, Lena Headey is a special kind of hot.

Yeah, this was also cropped out in my iTunes copy. I was very disappointed, and was considering picking up the disc version too, but it seems like they fucked it up on all versions. Inexcusable.

Yeah, I just checked out the 2D version on the disc and it doesn't breach either. WTF? So only the pirated copies (and preview trailers where it was originally seen, of course) breach the letterbox as intended? Again, this is far from a big deal, but what I originally considered to be a "nice touch" is quickly turning into an annoyance, because it doesn't seem to be present on the retail disc either. :\ Boo-urns I say!

Chris R

Watched tonight via redbox.

Was the film this dirty in theaters or is the transfer just dirty as shit? Also didn't like the forced 3d bits and the special effects (glass shards, gibs, ect) could have used some work. Not bad for The Raid with guns though :p

One good thing this movie did though was introduce me to Olivia Thirlby... Cersei did well too.

Is Ultraviolet not compatible with iTunes? I thought the big selling point was that it was compatible with everything.
Nope, it's not, and each studio uses its own app too (Flixster, website, etc). Hardly the unified solution it was billed as, at least at this point in time.

Snaku

Banned
Yeah, I just checked out the 2D version on the disc and it doesn't breach either. WTF? So only the pirated copies (and preview trailers where it was originally seen, of course) breach the letterbox as intended? Again, this is far from a big deal, but what I originally considered to be a "nice touch" is quickly turning into an annoyance, because it doesn't seem to be present on the retail disc either. :\ Boo-urns I say!

Yeah, and others have been complaining about weak 3D effect. I recall the 3D being quite strong in the theatrical version. I think Lionsgate fucked this up in more ways than one.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
Just watched the 2d version of the blu and can confirm no blood splatter outside of the filmed aspect ratio. It was a neat effect but, eh.

Yeah, and others have been complaining about weak 3D effect. I recall the 3D being quite strong in the theatrical version. I think Lionsgate fucked this up in more ways than one.
Hmm.. not so sure about that one. The 3D looked pretty incredible on my end.

The blond short hair & tactical gear suits her well. She's kinda vanilla without it.
Nah, she's looked great even before the blonde hair. Watch The Wackness for more. :p

Is there any point to Blu Ray anymore when these movies are in 1080p on iTunes and can be downloaded to any device?

1080p but at a compressed bit rate will not offer the same quality that a blu ray disc will. The blu will offer the highest bit rate available for picture right now, and you also get lossless sound. If you have the system for it, it is night and day compared to the lossy codecs on DVDs and digital downloads.

Honestly, only things I do digital downloads of are TV shows. Well, the network stuff at least. I dont want to wait for the blu ray sets of those (if they get them), and having a quick access archive of episodes is nice. But for movies, it is blu all the way.

SKINNER!

Banned

Aside from that, I really enjoyed the movie (hence, the reason I bought it on day 1). Hope we get to see a sequel.

Damn, I loved that "blood out of the letterbox" effect when I saw it in the theatre. Still getting the bluray this weekend regardless.

shuri

Banned
lol at so many people "having seen the movie at a friend's place who pirated it."

On another note; I really enjoyed the movie, but I expected way more shootouts from the way it was described by you guys. Dredd is never really in danger except for one moment maybe. I was REALLY expecting a blood bath.

Lucius86

Banned
Really enjoyed this, which makes a change as I saw 2012 as the year of disappointments. Even my housemates, who were totally sceptical with me putting it on, really enjoyed it.

Please make more films :(

Saw the movie when it came out and picked up the 3D blu-ray yesterday from Fry's. Movie was just as enjoyable a second time and I'll be watching it again with some friends this Friday. The soundtrack for this movie is fantastic - has anyone ordered the actual CD from Amazon? I noticed Amazon states that it's a CD-R:

"CD-R Note: This product is manufactured on demand when ordered from Amazon.com."

Is it really a greenback CD-R with artwork on it? I really want a physical copy but if that's the case I'll opt for the much cheaper MP3 option.

1080p but at a compressed bit rate will not offer the same quality that a blu ray disc will. The blu will offer the highest bit rate available for picture right now, and you also get lossless sound. If you have the system for it, it is night and day compared to the lossy codecs on DVDs and digital downloads.

Honestly, only things I do digital downloads of are TV shows. Well, the network stuff at least. I dont want to wait for the blu ray sets of those (if they get them), and having a quick access archive of episodes is nice. But for movies, it is blu all the way.

I don't even have *that* amazing a setup (no lossless, only 720p) and the difference between downloaded and Bluray is quite stark. Especially the sound.

mjc

Two of the Best Buys were sold out around my area yesterday. Not indicative of overall interest of course, but it was good to see. (Even if I had to go to Target to get it) I'll be watching this tonight I think.

Top Bottom