• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaze into the fist |OT| DREDD 3D

lednerg

I hope the good word of mouth is enough to get it past the budget. Whoever decided to wait until after the holidays for the home release should be fired - along with the marketing crew and whoever made it impossible to find in 2D in theaters.

This was the first 3d movie I ever saw. Looking forward to seeing it normal. Really hoping there is a sequel. I think the best part of the movie is now they don't bother at all about the back story of Dredd of the city of how anything works.

Dredd, Anderson, Perps, kill.

Big-E

Thanks GAF. Thought this movie was just going to be garbage but it was probably the best action movie in recent memory from the West. How action movies should be made. Clear bad guy, good action, no nonsense hero and you get entertainment.

nomis

Thanks GAF. Thought this movie was just going to be garbage but it was probably the best action movie in recent memory from the West. How action movies should be made. Clear bad guy, good action, no nonsense hero and you get entertainment.

My favorite thing about this movie was how everything had an internal logic, Dredd wasn't a superhero, and I didn't have to constantly be suspending my disbelief. I mean sure it's in this crazy futuristic building, but it felt grounded because everything had a point, and the contained nature of the story laser focused it. Every scene had a real setup, tension in the middle, and a payoff. Stuff didn't just... happen. You could tell mid-scene what a character's motivation was for them to take their next step, instead of the plot telling them to. The rules of judgement were well set up, so I wasn't asking every 30 seconds "Hey... should he be doing that?". The main characters never just stood in the middle of nowhere while the bad guys fired at them with stormtrooper-esque aim. They had to take cover, use things like the flash and gas grenades to their advantage, and when faced with a trio of miniguns, just run the fuck away. Plot devices like running low on ammo do double duty, feeling like a realistic obstacle as well as adding tension that simply throwing more baddies at Dredd can never do.

These seem like basic fucking aspects for a no-nonsense action movie, but there is a severe lack of them these days.

On top of everything that was great about the workmanlike script, it had incredible sound design and mixing, a kick ass soundtrack, and beautiful photography with or without the natively shot 3D. It's as artistic as I could imagine a movie from this source material.

Big-E

My favorite thing about this movie was how everything had an internal logic, Dredd wasn't a superhero, and I didn't have to constantly be suspending my disbelief. I mean sure it's in this crazy futuristic building, but it felt grounded because everything had a point, and the contained nature of the story laser focused it. Every scene had a real setup, tension in the middle, and a payoff. Stuff didn't just... happen. You could tell mid-scene what a character's motivation was for them to take their next step, instead of the plot telling them to. The rules of judgement were well set up, so I wasn't asking every 30 seconds "Hey... should he be doing that?". The main characters never just stood in the middle of nowhere while the bad guys fired at them with stormtrooper-esque aim. They had to take cover, use things like the flash and gas grenades to their advantage, and when faced with a trio of miniguns, just run the fuck away. Plot devices like running low on ammo do double duty, feeling like a realistic obstacle as well as adding tension that simply throwing more baddies at Dredd can never do.

These seem like basic fucking aspects for a no-nonsense action movie, but there is a severe lack of them these days.

On top of everything that was great about the workmanlike script, it had incredible sound design and mixing, a kick ass soundtrack, and beautiful photography with or without the natively shot 3D. It's as artistic as I could imagine a movie from this source material.

Well said. I think a good example of that is when
Anderson confront the female judge. She talks a big game and it sets up like their is going to be some sort of drawn out confrontation but Anderson pretty much shoots her on site because she is a psychic and a psychic isn't going to get fooled.
Another thing this movie did well is that it didn't try to go out of its way to set up the surrounding world and universe. Did it fairly quickly with what we needed to know but didn't try to over do it and have a bunch of characters talking about the Dredd world for 15 minutes. Movie ended perfectly for a sequel too with Dredd going around kicking more ass.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
I also watched it and regret not seeing it in the cinema. It's no masterpiece but it is really great and there is little I can think of I would like to change about it.

Phoenix

After having seen The Raid, this movie was just a bland buddy cop film. I wanted to like it, but I just didn't really find it entertaining unfortunately. Put me in that group that considers the original more entertaining.

alcide

Banned
Can't believe people prefer The Raid to this film.

The Raid was quite frankly a boring movie in my opinion. Oh look another half hour long slap fest ... genetic set pieces ... half hour long slap fest ... awful awful gun play ... half hour long slap fest.

Do people really enjoy these long drawn out heavily heavily choreographed slap fests? I could point you in the direction of hundreds of other films with just the same half hour bouts of slapping only the background's a different color. I couldn't see anything ground breaking in that movie.

At least with Dredd the one main hand to hand fight scene went down way more realistically. Didn't drag and the end result was a real visceral throat punch. Completely fresh and original. Quick and to the point. No messing around. That was how a Judge hand to hand duel would go down.

Movie delivered a fresh great experience. The Raid was just more rehashed slapping with an awful story tacked on.

DrBo42

After having seen The Raid, this movie was just a bland buddy cop film. I wanted to like it, but I just didn't really find it entertaining unfortunately. Put me in that group that considers the original more entertaining.

So much truth.

Can't believe people prefer The Raid to this film.

I felt The Raid was much more visceral and the action felt real. While Dredd is an efficient killing machine, I never felt the force behind those impacts on/through the enemies. The gunplay felt very bland and by the numbers.

Fox Mulder

I hope the good word of mouth is enough to get it past the budget. Whoever decided to wait until after the holidays for the home release should be fired - along with the marketing crew and whoever made it impossible to find in 2D in theaters.

It had a small budget and probably very little for advertising too. I hated waiting until after the holidays for it, but it's a dead period for releases really and it looks popular on iTunes and amazon now.

As for the theater run, it was only in 2d here.

Been wanting to see this, and I notice that Best Buy lets you get a free movie when you purchase tax software this week. Sounds like a plan.

Bleepey

Here is kind of a huuuuuuuuge plothole. If the helmet fucks with Anderson's psychic abilities, how is she able to read Dredd like an open book?

alcide

Banned
Here is kind of a huuuuuuuuge plothole. If the helmet fucks with Anderson's psychic abilities, how is she able to read Dredd like an open book?

I wouldn't say that's huuuuuuuuuge. I'd say that it messed with her abilities, probably dampening it.

It wasn't mentioned that it completely negates her ability.

Suairyu

Banned
Put your hands over your ears and try to hear someone speaking.

Now put your hands over their mouth and try the same.

Which is easier to hear?

DrBo42

I just can't comprehend this. Did you even watch the movie?

Hey guys guess what this movie has no force behind impacts or through enemies ...

SMH

That's the best example of my argument actually. Super fake looking bullets going through flesh colored cheese. You need good sound design for bullet impacts and blood that doesn't look like kool-aid. It needs to mostly mist. That slow motion body ripple doesn't look good or help the illusion.

Edit: The idea is cool, but I'm not sure the storyboarding of that scene works on film. I'd argue that it doesn't.

I had watched this last night in my HT (In 3D), and I have to say that I really liked it.

I was pleasantly surprised on how much I liked this film. Once the action ball started to roll, it was on!

I watched it last night in 3D. The 3D was really great in some scenes. My wife and I really enjoyed it. Urban was great. The movie deserves a sequel. I know I'll be telling lots of people to check it out if they feel like watching a solid straight up action flick. They don't make too many movies like this anymore.

The Raid was better IMO but I enjoy them both for what they are.

Nice to see everyone enjoying the movie, I just wish more people would have gone to see it in theaters.

Yep, it annoys me when friends moan about how action movies have become watered down/family friendly/Michael Bay'd, and when an action movie comes along that is a real balls-to-the-wall shameless action-fest they all stayed away.

Derp. Enjoy Transformers 7 douchebags.

Brilliant fun. Absolutely brilliant fun.

Been enjoying a real renaissance viewing of action films of late. While Hollywood in general has been churning out utter eunuchs, I've been thoroughly satisfying with Hyam's Universal Soldier reworking with 2009's Regeneration and 2012's Day of Reckoning, and especially as a fan of Dredd, this Travers/Garland effort that does so much right by the franchise.

For such a comparatively small budget, they really utilised everything and it felt fantastic. Bring on the sales and, fingers crossed, the sequel!

kinggroin

Banned
Just finished my third watch of the bluray and I'm ready to pass sentencing:

Dredd Bluray, you are being charged with excessive violence, action, and kick-assness while under the influence of slo-mo awesomeness. How do you plead?

Dredd Blu Ray: Guilty

:)

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I watched the movie days ago and still have kind of a buzz from it... I could sit and watch it again right now.

Too bad no commentary. :(

Fox Mulder

Lets watch it again!

I watched it again on my iPad with the free digital copy.

Good to see it high on the iTunes chart, but you get a free iTunes copy of the movie with the DVD and bluray. It's also high on amazon too, so I hope it does great like it should have in theaters.

Dicer

Banned

She did struggle to read him...

And I got a defective BluRay, gotta go swap it tomorrow.

Maxxan

Shame about the similarities between this and The Raid, as it's pure coincidence and just makes people pit two great films against each other.

As for me, I really loved Dredd's speech on the telephone! I wish I had a badass voice like that :)

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Importantly she never quite figured out what his deal was. For me, that was the pivotal scene in the move. Is he a saint or ten hitlers? No way to know.

W1SSY

My roommate picked it up the other night and we watched it. I really enjoyed the movie and would love for it to get a sequel but don't plan on getting my hopes up.

bangai-o

Banned
did she say she could read Dredd's mind "like an open book?" i thought she was trying to find "something" but the other officer cut her off. and the open book was referring to the black guy.

ZoddGutts

It's doing very well in DVD and Digital sales.

[Lionsgate] announced today that the home entertainment release of DREDD claimed the number one spot on the DVD sell-through and Blu-ray charts with 650,000 units sold, making it the best-selling new release title of the year. Blu-ray units accounted for nearly 50% of week 1 POS at retail. In addition, the critically acclaimed thriller, starring Karl Urban (Star Trek) as the titular character Judge Dredd, was the top film download for the week, outpacing all other titles in digital sales as well.

http://www.comicvine.com/news/dredd-tops-dvd-and-blu-ray-sales-charts/145864/

So let's say each copy sold went for 20 bucks, it's made 13 million so far. Here's hoping it keeps selling well.

antitrop

Watched this last night on recommendation from a GAF member.

I thought it was fantastic! The blonde girl was SMOKING HOT (even better in BluRay), Urban was menacing enough, Lena Headey was great as the villian (and still hot, somehow). Great ending, never boring. All in all solid film.

Stronty

Importantly she never quite figured out what his deal was. For me, that was the pivotal scene in the move. Is he a saint or ten hitlers? No way to know.

Well, Dredd's bodycount in the comics is hundreds of millions, but most of that number is retaliation related.

lacinius

Awesome film... I especially liked the look and feel of the film, although at first I couldn't figure out what "quality" it was that made me take so much notice while watching it. But then I saw in the credits that it was filmed in South Africa and then it all made sense. Far removed from the bland Hollywood studios is exactly what this film needed... this, as opposed to the very poor "Total Recall" remake, filmed in Canada no less, where you are pretty much obligated to cast a wooden plank like Jessica Biel to forever doom the film.

Dredd had a unique style and feel to it, something that is just not possible to achieve in North America. Hoping they are able to make a second film in the series, sort of a next chapter from that world, but such films with tangible qualities like that are rarely rewarded. Naturally pure shit like another Transformers film will soon be available. :\

Top Bottom