• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'GBA4iOS 2.0' Emulator - Play some Gameboy on your Telephone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
DISCLAIMER - This thread is not the place for discussions about where to get ROMs. Additionally any moral/legal discussion on emulation, as a whole, would derail the thread, and is probably better suited for a different thread anyway.

rR3MuJc.png

GBA4iOS 2.0 is a full featured Gameboy Advance, Gameboy Color, and Original Gameboy emulator, for iOS 7 devices, that does not require a jailbroken device.

gEusIpX.png

shX2Va9.png

You're probably aware that the Apple App Store doesn't allow for emulators on their platform. This is why the emulation scene exists primarily on jailbroken devices. However, through the Apple Enterprise Distribution platform (most frequently used by developers to release test versions of their apps to testers, before going live on the store), a handful of emulators became available to non-jailbroken devices last summer, via over the air downloads on websites. It's through a similar loophole that the developer of GBA4iOS 2.0 is releasing the app for download to your non-jailbroken device.

TEGGbq7.png

Outside of being able to play GBA/GBC/GB games at full speed, GBA4iOS 2.0 comes with some pretty cool additional features to improve the experience.

-Dropbox Sync:
You can tie your Dropbox account to GBA4iOS 2.0, and your save files will automatically upload/download, allowing for not only added security for your progress, but seamless play between all of your iDevices.
UPDATE: There appears to be a bug with Dropbox Syncing at the moment. The developer is aware and will issue an update from within the app's Software Update menu soon.

-Controller Skins:
The app will come preloaded with a handful of different skin options, but additional layouts will be available on sites like GBA4iOS Skins. Additionally, you'll be able to set specific skins between Gameboy Color, and Gameboy Advance games. (You can adjust opacity for landscape play as well).

-iOS 7 Controller Support (with option to configure buttons to whatever layout you like)
-Sustain Button (don't want to hold the B button down forever just to make your character run? You can sustain any button with a simple toggle)
-Fast Forward
-Cheat Codes (Gameshark, Action Replay, and Code Breaker)
-Multiple save state options (You can name them, and protect certain saves, as well.)
-Event Distribution for Pokemon Games (Re-enabled promotional events)
-WarioWare Twisted iOS motion support
-Over the Air Updates (To fix bugs, and add features down the line. This hasn't been possible in previous apps of this kind.)

p24xHks.png

Just visit GBA4iOSapp on your iOS 7 device of choice, and tap Download. It will install to your homescreen, ready to be launched, and enjoyed!

UPDATE: Apple apparently has been paying close attention to the development of the emulator, and they have pulled the Exchange license for the developer. What this means is that you won't be able to download the app, unless you set your clock back to before the date in which the license was revoked (In this case February 18). With this date enabled, you should download the app, and launch it once, before switching your clock back. Your play experience should be fine from there, but should the app crash, or you restart your phone, you'll unfortunately have to do the date trick again before playing. Again, you don't need to leave the date as Feburary 18th, beyond launching it once.
It's a shame but given the huge press the app has been getting, it's not surprising. At least you can still access it/download it with this trick. Additionally the app will be able to be updated through the in-app Software Update option to potentially address the date thing.

N92uPV3.png

You can add ROMs through iTunes File Sharing. To locate this, plug your device into your computer; click on your device in iTunes, and click on the 'Apps' tab. Scroll to the bottom, and you'll see File Sharing, with GBA4iOS 2.0 listed.
Click on the listing, and you'll be able to drag and drop your game files (.gba, .gbc, .zip, and .gb), as well as manually backup your save files in the event you don't want to use Dropbox.

kbWkyZq.png

-GBA4iOS 2.0 Download link
-Official list of features
-A video walkthrough of the app
-Frequently Asked Questions
-GBA4iOS Skins
-The developer's Twitter page

I thought that loophole for iOS installing was crushed under the heavy weight of apple#s tech crew, heh.

Sounds like a HUGE improvement, the last gba emulator I tried was the one hidden in Baby Names and well, it was rather poor in quality.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Cool, I followed the updates for a while but kind of forgot about it. I'll give it a spin later.

I thought that loophole for iOS installing was crushed under the heavy weight of apple#s tech crew, heh.

Sounds like a HUGE improvement, the last gba emulator I tried was the one hidden in Baby Names and well, it was rather poor in quality.

Yeah, I believe this is actually an updated version of that. The developer claims to have found a workaround, and hopefully it sticks. You can still access the apps that got shut down last time, you just have to cycle the date back on your device. That could theoretically happen here too, but at least the product is worth checking out now.

All of the games that ran choppy before seem to be running smooth on this at least!

Also it's worth noting that it looks like Dropbox support is having an issue, but hopefully that'll be fixed shortly.

How long will this be able to be installed before the app won't work?

It depends when Apple shuts it down, but even then you should still be able to cycle your date back, and it'll continue working. That's how you can still play the stuff that got shut down in July. You change the date right back afterwards, and it's smooth sailing until you turn the phone off, or the app crashes.

But obviously grab it sooner, than later.

Will it work on iOS6?

Unfortunately not, but you could try the link on the download site for GBA4iOS 1.6.2. That should work (you may have to roll your date back to before July 2013 for first launch, I'm not sure), but it's worth noting that that version has sound lag issues, and obviously lacks the new bells and whistles. Still worth checking out though, if you're curious.

Wait, you can install iOS apps over a website?

Yeah, certain ones. It's similar to how developers distribute pre-release test versions of their apps.

Ninja Dom

Does Saving the game work normally in this?

I mean can you save a game in a save game slot that the game provides and continue on - just like you were playing on a real GBA?

Does Saving the game work normally in this?

I mean can you save a game in a save game slot that the game provides and continue on - just like you were playing on a real GBA?

I think so, yeah. When you come back to the game after not playing it, it restarts as if you just turned the Gameboy on. You could either load a save state, or probably load your progress traditionally too.

is there anything out there that will help with the fact that there are no real buttons here? makes it hard to play trying to use the touch screen

Is there a version of this available for jailbroken phones? I don't like the sound of having to mess with the date.

You don't currently have to mess with the date. It's only in the event that it gets shut down. The developer has no plans to make it available through traditional Jailbreak means at the moment, due to the fact you can get it this way on both sides.

is there anything out there that will help with the fact that there are no real buttons here? makes it hard to play trying to use the touch screen

Yep, it supports iOS 7 controllers, and you can map the buttons. I seem to remember hearing that Jailbroken devices with the app that allows you to pair Dualshocks, and Wii Remotes works with 2.0 as well, if you're in that camp.

Ok My phone just wants to start the download and then endlessly loop the installation. Sometimes It gets to about 75%, others about 30%

Any tips/Tricks?

br3wnor

That looks pretty great if it works well. I Play GBA on my PSP and it's incredible how many great games there are for the device. I never really played GBA so it's like 30+ AAA games of new awesomeness, anyone who missed out on the bulk of GBA's catalogue should definitely give this a shot.

Ok My phone just wants to start the download and then endlessly loop the installation. Sometimes It gets to about 75%, others about 30%

Any tips/Tricks?
Not working here. I just get the test pattern icon and it will quit during the install. What am I missing?
Uh oh - acting weird for me. The install animation keeps stopping half-way through and restarting.
Same problem here

It could be that so many people are downloading this at the same time, that it's causing weird issues. It launched at 3:45pm, and sites are the big sites are reporting on it at the moment which probably increases the already high traffic. Maybe just keep trying?

it's ok, £100 ios controllers can be used (lol)

I have a iPega portable bluetooth pad which cost me £7 I can try out, see if it detects it.

*edit* ipega pad doesn't work in any of it's modes, normal, iCade and keyboard.

If at any time the app fails to open, please set the date back on your device to before [today], then try opening the app again. Once the app is opened, you can set the date back to the correct time, and the app will continue to open normally. However, you'll need to repeat this process every time you restart your device.

Hell of a catch. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom