• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'GBA4iOS 2.0' Emulator - Play some Gameboy on your Telephone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

2San

This is awesome.

Is there an Android equivalent? Anyone know?

Teach me. I'm new-ish.
Well you can just buy them from the market place. Not sure what the best gba emu is, but I use "My Boy", since that one was highly rated. It works good enough. There is a PSP emu that's called "PPSSPP" that is continually improving and free. This emu is the go to PSP emulator on the PC as well. I saw I could run Crisis Core at decent speeds now, while I couldn't before. DraStic is a great DS emulator. I use ePSXe for PSX games not sure if it's the best one for android, but the emulator is great on PC.

SnakeEyes

Banned
Installed perfectly fine onto my iPhone 5 running iOS 7.0.4.

Haven't had a chance to run any games on it but the app opens fine.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I've never seen an app install like that from the browser. What just happened.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Nice for iOS-only people, although it's a shame that Apple is so restrictive with what they allow on the App Store (not that it doesn't have its upsides), and above all what they allow you to do with your own device.

This is awesome.

Is there an Android equivalent? Anyone know?

Teach me. I'm new-ish.

Find one you like, install it, done. Android lets you install whatever you want without jumping through hoops and taking advantage of loopholes. (If the app isn't from Google Play you'll have to go into your phone settings and allow apps from unknown sources.)

Here's one that's supposed to be good: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fastemulator.gbafree (there's also a paid version with more features)

graywolf323

for the life of me I can't seem to get it to install

iPhone 5 running iOS 7.0.4 here, it either errors out or just stops installing

Cess007

Before install it. Try to set the date to yesterday, once it installed run it once like that. After that, it seems that it works fine. That's what a friend did. In my case, it run well even when i didn't change the date.

graywolf323

Have you rolled back the date on your device? I updated the OP with the information, but I guess it could still be easy to miss. Doing that should fix the issue.

ah okay, I had seen the OP before heading home from work and then started the process on my phone while making dinner so I missed the update

will try that once my phone finishes restarting

edit: that worked thanks :D

yami4ct

iPhone 5 running iOS 7.0.4 here, it either errors out or just stops installing

Turn your date on your phone back to the 18th of February (yesterday). Should install fine then.

While I hate the virtual buttons for most kinds of games, this seems absolutely perfect to play turn based styled games on. That's cool as I've been really wanting to try out the Japan only GBA Fire Emblems. At least the little bit of force feedback they give you when you hit a button helps some.

Does the date have to be permanently rolled back, or just for install?

Unless I'm misinterpreting the OP, it seems like you can switch back the date once you install it.

Anyone know if it works on an old and crappy 4? I pretty much use that as an ipod and game machine because I have a 5 as my primary.

J0dy77

This feels fishy. Anything that can be lost or obtained from the device from just an App? I don't think apps have access to other apps or the system information.

je_ssi e

Cant seem to find the app in my itunes.. anyone know why?
You should see it on iTunes when you click on your phone. Then, click on apps, scroll to the bottom and you'll see it listed under file sharing.

And, FINALLY!
I've been waiting for 2.0 forever. Now, to transfer my saves.

yami4ct

This feels fishy. Anything that can be lost or obtained from the device from just an App? I don't think apps have access to other apps or the system information.

iPhone apps are very, very sandboxed. Not much risk. They can't do any sort of intercommunication without an authorization or an intermediary like DropBox. Worst thing that could happen is the dev can get access to your dropbox if you allow it.

J0dy77

iPhone apps are very, very sandboxed. Not much risk. They can't do any sort of intercommunication without an authorization or an intermediary like DropBox. Worst thing that could happen is the dev can get access to your dropbox if you allow it.

Well this makes me happy. :)

Roshin

I installed it on my iPhone and on my iPad without any issues. Tried a couple of games and it works great. Pokemon Leaf Green on the go. :)

Whogie

This is pretty damn cool. Runs great.
Having the phone vibrate a little when you press a button is really nice for adding a subtle tactile feel.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Does this work with the official iOS7 controllers? (and by extension the ControllersForAll tweak that allows PS3 or PS4 controllers to be used?)

Scarecrow

I think I remember the GBC having a function where you could pick a color pallet when playing regular GB games. You'd have to hold down a button and a direction when starting up the system. Is that ability on here?

Do I just download those pics and put them into the skins folder to use them?

Runs flawlessly on 5S so far.

If you click the links, they'll take you to GBA4iOSkins.com. You can pick through them there, and either download through your computer, or just do it straight from the device. Clicking download on your phone will prompt you to "Open in GBA4iOS?". They'll show up in the skin section after that.

Does this work with the official iOS7 controllers? (and by extension the ControllersForAll tweak that allows PS3 or PS4 controllers to be used?)

Yes for iOS 7 controllers. As for ControllersForAll, I definitely remember reading something about it working, but can't verify 100%. I think it does.

I think I remember the GBC having a function where you could pick a color pallet when playing regular GB games. You'd have to hold down a button and a direction when starting up the system. Is that ability on here?
You're remembering correctly. I don't think that works with this though, since you don't have access to the controls before the title screen is present. I tried with Donkey Kong '94, and couldn't get it to work anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom