• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2: Real-Emergence Thread of Cubed Meat - HD Gameplay up!

Kydd BlaZe

Black_Ice said:
For a return, I would like:

Gridlock
War Machine
Clocktower
Man, I think Gears of War has the best maps of any multiplayer game i've ever played. They're all just so well balanced and symmetrical (save for duds like Rooftops, Mausoleum, and Escalation).

War Machine, Clocktower, and Mansion are among my favorites, though.

DC R1D3R

Banned
AARGH MAN!!

Epic have got to be congratulated on Gears 2 texture quality. Absolutely unreal!!!
Best textures yet on a console game?

Kibbles

DC R1D3R said:
AARGH MAN!!

Epic have got to be congratulated on Gears 2 texture quality. Absolutely unreal!!!
Best textures yet on a console game?

Yeah it's freaking crazy. I'm looking at a pic in the magazine and you can see the individual tiny holes in the fabric on Marcus's bandanna. His ear is crazy good too lol

And this is Multiplayer. :eek:

Kydd BlaZe

Yeah, Epic definitely outdid themselves visually. I was unsure if it was even possible that Gears 2 could look any better than the original, but that definitely isn't the case. Best looking console game i've seen to date. Looks ridiculous.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Just got my copy of the mag. Can't believe it's a fucking FIVER?! And people wonder why print is dying!

Game is looking amazing from these screens, and YAY at the Collectors Edition including a photo of Dom's wife. :lol

Kydd BlaZe said:
Man, I think Gears of War has the best maps of any multiplayer game i've ever played. They're all just so well balanced and symmetrical (save for duds like Rooftops, Mausoleum, and Escalation).

Drop Escalation? Blasphemy! Fucking LOVE that map.

Perhaps Epic should just go ahead and include all the Gears maps in Gears 2, because honestly, I don't think I'll ever get tired of a good handful of them.

FFChris

Holy crap, there is no way the textures in game can look that good. No way.

Edit: I really, really like the re-imagined Assassination game type. I can see me playing that one more than most other game types.

TDG

Banned
Domino Theory said:
Amen to Clocktower. My favorite map from Gears. I also love Masoleum, Canals, and Rooftops (which is underrated IMO).
I wasn't a big fan of Clocktower.

Canals was a terrific map, though. For remakes, I'd like Canals, Fuel Depot and Gridlock (of course).

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Tell me about it - Gears still looks amazing to this day, especially with its crazy texture work, but the pics of Gears 2 from the mag are just, on another level of detail... simply incredible.

Hopefully I find the mag tomorrow in stores...

Eriatarka

Banned
Feindflug said:
The shotgun is so random/broken that it's not even funny, sometimes you blow someone to pieces from a distance and other times you shot someone in his neck and survives...also something else that needs to be fixed is the instant downs from active reloaded snipers - it's too damn powerful and a lot of people are now good at aiming with the sniper because of the steady/fast aiming and slow movement of the players - it's all about the headshots baby! :p

Also no love for Fuel Depot? it's the best map along with War Machine IMO.
I know far too well how random the shotgun can be. :lol
I'm just talking about how it works most of the time.

Kydd BlaZe said:
Will have to see footage of this "stopping power." Sounds like it could completely change the way we play Gears. I'm having a hard time understanding what they mean by "slowing you down." This has the potential to be game breaking, IMO.
I don't think it would be like counter-strike where being hit at any angle will cause you to drop to walking speeds for a moment, but to stop or at least slow down people who charge straight at you for a close range shotgun blast, normally the host who has zero lag if they are not whoring the sniper :/

JimiNutz

Banned
cjelly said:
Just got my copy of the mag. Can't believe it's a fucking FIVER?! And people wonder why print is dying!

Game is looking amazing from these screens, and YAY at the Collectors Edition including a photo of Dom's wife. :lol

Which mag is it OXM UK or the one in post 2951 (x360)? Think I'll pick it up as well.

Full Recovery said:
I've heard Gears 2 will come with roughly a dozen maps, one of which is Gridlock.

My guess is: Gridlock, War Machine, and Fuel Depot

I don't see them remaking more than 3 maps, unless the community has a hard one for a particular map they miss.
Dear God I hope not. War Machine is awful, and Fuel Depot isn't that exciting either.

Mansion's where it's at :D

B_Rik_Schitthaus said:
Escalation is the best for 1 reason every round you have to do something different ie climb or descend.

But 2 snipers and 3 nades for ascending team? Not very balanced.

And I can't believe I forgot about Canals, Clocktower, and Mansion. Damn.

Does anyone know if the new EGM has different details and screens than this xbox 360 mag?

Mr. Durden said:
Dear God I hope not. War Machine is awful, and Fuel Depot isn't that exciting either.

Mansion's where it's at :D
Mansion is one map where the outcome can really change randomly, I'm no good storming the sniper but the garden out the back is amazing fun :lol

Do hope all the gears 1 maps make an appearance somehow.

*edit* Escalation has too many nades but otherwise it's good fun also.

It would be great if Epic could somehow work a classic double barreled shotgun in there somwhere.

I mean, let's face it, it was a fucking crime against humanity Doom III didn't have one. Epic could fill the void there.

Fallout-NL said:
It would be great if Epic could somehow work a classic double barreled shotgun in there somwhere.
Technically, the Gnasher has two-barrels, but yeah.
80_srotarca.jpg

MattyH said:
i wanna see straight up team deathmatch with a party mode
The new respawn rules for one of the old modes is kind of that but I don't think gears suits constant respawning and shooting like unreal. Annex was light fun at first but since then i've hardly touched it.

After reading up on some of the info from the new mags, I wonder how many maps in Gears 2 will be 'remakes' and how many will be new. To be honest, I wasn't all that fond of Gridlock and I'd much rather see Fuel Depot, Mausoleum (especially because of the added destructibility for the environments), Tyro Station and War Machine return. Canals too, but I doubt that one will make it after reading the description of one of those new maps.

Maybe they'll add some of the remaining 'classics' through DLC, but I hope those will be free after a while, should Epic re-release them that way. I wouldn't like paying for maps that were in the previous game however, even if they enhance them properly for Gears 2.

Dark FaZe said:
I doubt thats the case, but a scan is quoted to say that there is a level of stopping power that will prevent you from running or dodging towards you while under fire.

Now if this simply means while your running forward or dodging forward, or dodging left or right or backwards, or none of the above but simply slowing your movements, I'm not to sure at this point.
The use of 'towards' explains it all. So normally, you should be able to dodge sideways or backwards.

Diablohead said:
The new respawn rules for one of the old modes is kind of that but I don't think gears suits constant respawning and shooting like unreal. Annex was light fun at first but since then i've hardly touched it.
Fact.

Kydd BlaZe said:

Blasphemy! Mausoleum isn't a dud!

Dirtbag

Here we go again with remakes! God damn it GAF!

Then when the game comes out, we can all complain how its so similar to the previous game and really Gears 1.5

Seriously guys, out with the old....

Shins

Banned
Dirtbag 504 said:
This is how I feel. I enjoy most of the maps in Gears, and I'm sure I'll have plenty of fun with Gridlock and one or two other remakes, but I know how those maps play, and so does everyone else. I want to experience new areas with new routes and new tactics.

I just hope they don't go overboard on the interactive elements. I wasn't a big fan of stuff like having to press buttons in Garden to get to the Sniper Rifle.

Shins said:
This is how I feel. I enjoy most of the maps in Gears, and I'm sure I'll have plenty of fun with Gridlock and one or two other remakes, but I know how those maps play, and so does everyone else. I want to experience new areas with new routes and new tactics.

I just hope they don't go overboard on the interactive elements. I wasn't a big fan of stuff like having to press buttons in Garden to get to the Sniper Rifle.

Agreed. If I had to choose between old quality maps and new quality maps, give me the new quality maps. Epic knows what their doing in concern to maps for sure.

I'm a bit worried about interactive stuff to though. The new batches of maps weren't on the same level of quality that the originals were imo.

5 on 5 will make that sort of interactivity a little easier though with so many hands available to help out on that end.

Dirtbag 504 said:
Here we go again with remakes! God damn it GAF!

Then when the game comes out, we can all complain how its so similar to the previous game and really Gears 1.5

It's not as if I dislike new maps in a sequel of any multiplayer shooter. I'd just like both of them, if possible.

Dirtbag

MicVlaD said:
It's not as if I dislike new maps in a sequel of any multiplayer shooter. I'd just like both of them, if possible.
Of course, I get that... But it never works like that.
Map remakes would be a lot more exciting if they popped up every other sequel. Otherwise we end up having the same exact play experiences over and over.

I'm amazed at how few people share the same view as I.

Why are gamers so damn nostalgic?

Aladuf

Banned
On the topic of maps returning I'd have to say that while I enjoy many of Gears' maps it's ok to move on. I totally love that they're remaking Gridlock for Gears 2 because that is just "the map" that's always being played by everyone and it's a damn good one. I mean, I love maps like Rooftops and War Machine but I have no problem letting them go, Gears 1 will still be out there and played so if I want a true trip back to Gears 1 then I'll pop it in and give it a play.

Gears 2 will be Gears 2 so bring on the new maps, so far they're sounding damn good!

Top Bottom