• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Gnashes from the Epic forums? if so... LOL. Welcome to GAF.

Epic forums, bleh. That whole EGFC thing is retarded, and 99% of them (the clan and the forum) can't spell for shit. I imagine that's because they are all kids though. (The ones I dealt with when I was a Gcon host were mostly kids and annoying as hell).

Now that I think of it, Bungie.net was the same way with Halo, so not a shocker there.

Glad yo see you back 2th!

2th

Banned
Epic forums, bleh. That whole EGFC thing is retarded, and 99% of them (the clan and the forum) can't spell for shit. I imagine that's because they are all kids though. (The ones I dealt with when I was a Gcon host were mostly kids and annoying as hell).

Now that I think of it, Bungie.net was the same way with Halo, so not a shocker there.

Glad yo see you back 2th!

i came back with a tag no less.

a rather disturbing tag. but a tag no less.

malfcn

marcus_winter.jpg

Wow. Winter could have made this game awesome.

2th

Banned
Yeah, that's pretty fucked up given our conversations on the topic. Kind of seems like an abuse of power IMO.

ill do something one day to get another tag im sure. oh well. makes me stand out at least. lol

back on topic though... who is doing "OT2 This time is works"?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
ill do something one day to get another tag im sure. oh well. makes me stand out at least. lol

back on topic though... who is doing "OT2 This time is works"?

I would think PXG is, but he's been hit or miss both on XBL and in this thread lately.

So what's the situation on dedicated servers these days?
Seems to me as time passes, mp quality gets worse and worse.

Why won't Epic/MS tell where did they put those servers because it seems that some regions "aren't getting the love".

Last night: point blank gnasher at a guy, he just "stuns" (like smoke bomb effect) and pounds me away with one shot. wtf? a couple of those happened.

Gears is my fav mp game when the connection is good, and certainly the worst when it's not. IMHO, nowhere is lag more visible than in gears. don't have those problems in CoD, BF3 (I'm not even gonna mention Halo since they all worked like pure perfection for me).

Oh, 20Mbit/1.2Mbit , ~40 ping connection here.

Sorry if this was posted before, but I just want to see your experiences (especially from Central/South-East Europe GAFers).

Maybe not visible problems while playing, but the killcam shows that it can be as bad as Gears at its worst.
true. but, IMHO, killcam is anything but accurate since CoD4.
The important part is that, if there's any lag in CoD or <insert mp game>, I don't feel it as much as in Gears. Especially in gnasher duels. *sigh*

TheChits

The more time that passes the less fun I have with this game. I played gears 1 and 2 for years, but something about this game just isn't pulling me in like the others. :(

Montresor

Thank god the new patch come out. I had been playing everyday for a few hours since the release of the new maps and I had only played the Anvil once. I only play TDM and was pretty pissed I couldn't play on the new maps. Finally after the patch comes out I get to play on the slab and Escalation around 3 to 4 times each!

Can I have a link to the patch details? Thanks. =D

mernst23

How are you getting these done so fast? Private game boosting?

Private KOTH on Gridlock Casual bots 60 second rounds 15 rounds to win. Swap all weapons for boltok. Game lasts 35-40 minutes. Start the game, grab the boltok by the smoke grenade camp on the sniper overlook. The sniper boltok keeps filling up my ammo every 30 seconds as long as I don't use all my shots before picking up a new one. I try to two shot headshot or headshot them when they're down.

I get 15 First Bloods, 220-240 pistol kills (depending on how many bots get lancers), avg about half to 60% as headshots.

I did manage to finish headshots and pistols kills yesterday so now i'm moving onto executions. Essentially it's the same setup except now i'm playing rustlung and downing and chainsawing. I have 5000/6000 so I could get that one today, but these games take 40 minutes and I'd only get 180-200 a match instead.

Essentially depending on the weapon, 1000 kills takes 2.5-3.5 hours of private boosting. So essentially I aim for 1000 a day before playing a couple online versus games for you know, fun.

The idle boosting was as bad as you'd expect, my xbox has been on essentially 24X7 since early November and I just finished up yesterday.

It's honestly not that bad, I have 51 onyx medals and I play the game 12-15 hours a week at most (Granted 80% of that time is boosting). And I only really played at a crazier level when the game first came out.

Sigmaah

I remember when I was so excited about gow3 and now its out and I barely play it...

I just don't find it fun, probably due to the OP rifles, once they remove SP from the lancer, this game will be good to me again!

true. but, IMHO, killcam is anything but accurate since CoD4.
The important part is that, if there's any lag in CoD or <insert mp game>, I don't feel it as much as in Gears. Especially in gnasher duels. *sigh*

Yeah, man. I would think that this is mostly due to the nature of the game itself. Just by looking at Gears - compared to an FPS such as BF3/CoD - you can tell that it doesn't lend itself to lag "masking" anywhere near as well. There are more mechanics in play to "give away" the lag, so to speak, i.e. the cover mechanic, rolling... Your typical FPS is more of an 'aim reticle over enemy > shoot > hit registers' affair.

I know, for a fact, that BF3 can have an immense amount of crippling lag when it wants to; it's just not broadcasted to the player in a way that's as visually obvious (or as angering) as, say, getting blown to pieces by someone who's not even looking at you.

I remember when I was so excited about gow3 and now its out and I barely play it...

I just don't find it fun, probably due to the OP rifles, once they remove SP from the lancer, this game will be good to me again!

They will never remove the SP from the lancer. It would completely ruin the weapon (and to some extent the whole game) if they did. What's the point in having rifles if they are worthless?

I really don't understand why so many want to use nothing but gnashers.

Also, stop rushing straight ahead. That's the only reason you would have problems with the lancer stopping you.

razu

I got two-pieced earlier. It was like I was back in 2006! Must have been some lag shenanigans!

Such is my awesomeness, I have a KD and WL of 1.0. Now that's a community minded person. Sometimes I win, sometimes I lose. Not like these losers who win all the time! ;)

TRios Zen

Yeah, man. I would think that this is mostly due to the nature of the game itself. Just by looking at Gears - compared to an FPS such as BF3/CoD - you can tell that it doesn't lend itself to lag "masking" anywhere near as well. There are more mechanics in play to "give away" the lag, so to speak, i.e. the cover mechanic, rolling... Your typical FPS is more of an 'aim reticle over enemy > shoot > hit registers' affair.

I know, for a fact, that BF3 can have an immense amount of crippling lag when it wants to; it's just not broadcasted to the player in a way that's as visually obvious (or as angering) as, say, getting blown to pieces by someone who's not even looking at you.

It's funny but the lag is exactly why I am considering trading MW3 in; it seems like every kill cam proves to me the game is not occurring the way I see it on my screen. The proof in the kill cam bugs me more than guessing in Gears I guess.

I agree that noticeable lag in Gears 3 can be rage-inducing, but for some reason, I'm okay with raging at Gears 3. With MW3 as soon as I hit a single suspect moment, I pull it out and switch to Gears.

They will never remove the SP from the lancer. It would completely ruin the weapon (and to some extent the whole game) if they did. What's the point in having rifles if they are worthless?

I really don't understand why so many want to use nothing but gnashers.

Also, stop rushing straight ahead. That's the only reason you would have problems with the lancer stopping you.

I *prefer* my gnasher to anything else - personally a skilled gnasher kill is much more rewarding than a rifle kill. That being said, I think Gears 3 has done a great job of giving all players viable weapon options. Some maps are more rifle friendly than others I think though... Overpass and Thrashball come to mind. Funny, because I think Overpass is ass, and Thrashball rocks.

Bought Gears 1 today for $7 and just finished the campaign about 40 mins ago.
I feel like I know a lot more about the gears universe now. LOVED that train level. Reminded me of an old Splinter Cell game :)
I also managed to get a chrome weapon skin for my Gears 3 Lancer and Gnasher, which I am very happy about.
I pretty much had to cheat to get the "Dont Hate the Player Achievement" though (to unlock the chrome Lancer in Gears 3). No way I was ever getting that one legit. lol

Judderman

drawer by drawer
I just started playing again (I last played in November) and what is up with this lag? They they change something with the netcode?

unomas

Banned
Decided to re-up and buy Fenix Rising last night, big mistake! First match up against a team of 5 highly ranked greens, ended up being a Hammerburst and Lancerfest from all positions, they had us completely surrounded. If this is what "high level" Gears play is going to be on maps like Checkout count me out of continuing. This continued in ranked TDM for another 2-3 matches before I finally got in a game where this wasn't the norm. Now I remember why I use the Retro Lancer instead of the other rifles because I don't want to just sit back and camp the whole time.

alexel

I just started playing again (I last played in November) and what is up with this lag? They they change something with the netcode?

If you don't have Fenix Rising, you're playing on P2P servers unless you're in the "Players Choice" playlist. This could be causing the lag that you're experiencing now.

Bought Gears 1 today for $7 and just finished the campaign about 40 mins ago.

I've probably put this here before, but oh, MAN. When Carmine cops it and a shootout with the Brocust ensues...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlT86P5Ft8s

In retrospect, this was such an amazing moment for me. Back in the days of yore ('06), GoW was - in my eyes - the first gaming experience that made me truly think, "holy balls; this is next-gen". Coupled with the fact that it was a game so fine-tuned to my wants/desires of a what video games should be and Kevin Riepl's amazing composition...

Monumental.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I've probably put this here before, but oh, MAN. When Carmine cops it and a shootout with the Brocust ensues...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlT86P5Ft8s

In retrospect, this was such an amazing moment for me. Back in the days of yore ('06), GoW was - in my eyes - the first gaming experience that made me truly think, "holy balls; this is next-gen". Coupled with the fact that it was a game so fine-tuned to my wants/desires of a what video games should be and Kevin Riepl's amazing composition...

Monumental.

I wish I could have experienced that with you guys. When Gears came out I wasn't even in country (I was deployed). I didn't discover Gears until Gears 2 launched, and well, we all know how that went.

I wish I could have experienced that with you guys. When Gears came out I wasn't even in country (I was deployed). I didn't discover Gears until Gears 2 launched, and well, we all know how that went.

Ah, don't worry too much. I made my foray into Online Gaming with Gears 2.

Great move.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Ah, don't worry too much. I made my foray into Online Gaming with Gears 2.

Great move.

Well I've been online gaming since quake 1. I was an Xbl beta tester back when you had a disk with 4 demo games on them. I loved the shit out of Moto gp back then. Ah the good old days of ghost recon and unreal tournament, lol. My account is 9 years old, lol.

You're still gettin servers, it's silly to act like you aren't.
I never said we aren't. But the servers are under the condition that you either buy the latest map pack or play in only one playlist. I happen to think those conditions are bullshit, none of those limitations were made known when they were hyping dedicated servers. I bought the season pass so it personally doesn't affect me, but I still think that's really lame.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I never said we aren't. But the servers are under the condition that you either buy the latest map pack or play in only one playlist. I happen to think those conditions are bullshit, none of those limitations were made known when they were hyping dedicated servers. I bought the season pass so it personally doesn't affect me, but I still think that's really lame.

If you think you never said that then I think you need I reread your previous post. Also, what they did to allow those that didn't buy all the dlc to keep playing on servers is exactly right. ATM that playlist is taking up space some of us that bought all the dlc would like I to see replaced with other things like stranded.

If you think you never said that then I think you need I reread your previous post. Also, what they did to allow those that didn't buy all the dlc to keep playing on servers is exactly right. ATM that playlist is taking up space some of us that bought all the dlc would like I to see replaced with other things like stranded.
Agreed. One of the main selling points of Gears 3 that was hyped up so much before release and the Beta was "Dedicated Servers" not "Dedicated Servers if you buy our map packs."
Well no where in there did I say "we aren't getting dedicated servers." Perhaps what I said was a bit broad and you inferred that as being what I meant. Perhaps I should add the clarification "except for one playlist" at the end but I'm hoping we can end a silly argument about technicalities and assumptions right here.

It's not as bad as locking people out of playlists like they did with Halo 3 but it's still pretty bad. People that bought the game under the pretense of having dedicated servers but didn't buy the map pack are not suddenly less worthy of playing on servers (except for one playlist). Maybe they might have reconsidered their purchase of the game had they known that?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Well no where in there did I say "we aren't getting dedicated servers." Perhaps what I said was a bit broad and you inferred that as being what I meant. Perhaps I should add the clarification "except for one playlist" at the end but I'm hoping we can end a silly argument about technicalities and assumptions right here.

It's not as bad as locking people out of playlists like they did with Halo 3 but it's still pretty bad. People that bought the game under the pretense of having dedicated servers but didn't buy the map pack are not suddenly less worthy of playing on servers (except for one playlist). Maybe they might have reconsidered their purchase of the game had they known that?

This quote;
Agreed. One of the main selling points of Gears 3 that was hyped up so much before release and the Beta was "Dedicated Servers" not "Dedicated Servers if you buy our map packs."

is quite clearly complaining/stating that if you don't have the DLC you're not playing on dedicated servers. No matter how you want to spin it now.

And the answer as I said before, is that's not the case. You can still play on servers without the DLC.

As for the second paragraph of this post, it's a non issue. Those without the DLC still get dedicated servers, they simply go to the playlist that's for them. Those who continue to support the game get the other playlists with map rotations, and rightly so.

This quote;

is quite clearly complaining/stating that if you don't have the DLC you're not playing on dedicated servers. No matter how you want to spin it now.
Well for the most part you aren't! But just for you I'll go edit the quote to add "except for one playlist" even though sure anyone else would know exactly what I meant.

And the answer as I said before, is that's not the case. You can still play on servers without the DLC.
In one playlist. One.

As for the second paragraph of this post, it's a non issue. Those without the DLC still get dedicated servers, they simply go to the playlist that's for them. Those who continue to support the game get the other playlists with map rotations, and rightly so.
Haha, for you maybe. Even for me since I bought the DLC. But people that bought the game with the pretense of it being on dedicated servers now have a game that can only be played on servers in one playlist unless they shell out more cash. No matter how you want to spin that, it sounds like bullshit to me.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Well for the most part you aren't! But just for you I'll go edit the quote to add "except for one playlist" even though sure anyone else would know exactly what I meant.

In one playlist. One.

Haha, for you maybe. Even for me since I bought the DLC. But people that bought the game with the pretense of it being on dedicated servers now have a game that can only be played on servers in one playlist unless they shell out more cash. No matter how you want to spin that, it sounds like bullshit to me.

And no matter how much you want to spin it they still get to play on servers. So your original point is a non issue.

That will be my last post on the issue since it's just becoming repetitive now. ;)

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
The fact that if you bought the game launch day and played it until now without buying any dlc, and now have less access to dedicated games is pretty fucking dishonest. I think if they did something like this a year or so down the line it wouldnt have been that big of a deal, but barely six months into the game? I never pegged epic for the type of the company that would put people into a 'give us handfuls of sweaty bills or youre assed out' position. Gears 2 was about as shitty of a game as can be but to their credit they supported it and tried to fix what they could. Being obligated to buy content I may not particularly like just to be able to have a decent online experience is not what I or anyone else signed up for when they bought this game.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
The fact that if you bought the game launch day and played it until now without buying any dlc, and now have less access to dedicated games is pretty fucking dishonest. I think if they did something like this a year or so down the line it wouldnt have been that big of a deal, but barely six months into the game? I never pegged epic for the type of the company that would put people into a 'give us handfuls of sweaty bills or youre assed out' position. Gears 2 was about as shitty of a game as can be but to their credit they supported it and tried to fix what they could. Being obligated to buy content I may not particularly like just to be able to have a decent online experience is not what I or anyone else signed up for when they bought this game.

You're not obligated to do anything. You still get dedicated servers. You got exactly what you were promised.

this whole dedis/DLCmaps/playlist bullshit could be remedied by just giving everyone the maps. I know some people would bitch and complain about wasting money on the season pass but if it means better playlists and not segregating the community I'm all for it.

what's going to happen with DLC4? another map pack that splits the playlist three ways instead of two?

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
You're not obligated to do anything. You still get dedicated servers. You got exactly what you were promised.

Absolutely not. The service being quantifiable was reduced significantly. If my electricity company told me that starting tomorrow that i'll get electricity but only for my toasters, guess what. Thats not exactly what i was promised. Yea i still get 'electricity' but its nowhere near what i was promised. This is especially deplorable considering how heavily Cliffy pitched this every chance he got. Referencing how 'yea we shit the bed with gears 2 but this is us 'caring''.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
this whole dedis/DLCmaps/playlist bullshit could be remedied by just giving everyone the maps. I know some people would bitch and complain about wasting money on the season pass but if it means better playlists and not segregating the community I'm all for it.

what's going to happen with DLC4? another map pack that splits the playlist three ways instead of two?

Those will probably be given out free too. Especially if it's beast DLC.

Absolutely not. The service being quantifiable was reduced significantly. If my electricity company told me that starting tomorrow that i'll get electricity but only for my toasters, guess what. Thats not exactly what i was promised. Yea i still get 'electricity' but its nowhere near what i was promised. This is especially deplorable considering how heavily Cliffy pitched this every chance he got. Referencing how 'yea we shit the bed with gears 2 but this is us 'caring''.

That analogy doesn't work. You still have access to dedicated servers for all modes.

If you want an electricity analogy, you should have said that you'll get electricity to everything in your house; you just don't have a choice in which object gets electricity when you enter a room. Perhaps you want to use your toaster, but unfortunately only your oven gets electricity this time. Leave the room and enter again, and perhaps your toaster gets electricity instead.

Anyway, I'd say that most Gears 3 players have the Fenix Rising map pack considering that the game hasn't been this popular since release day, and most players seem to choose playlists other than "Player's Choice".

malfcn

Wingman with bow/gnasher starts, bow only has one arrow, all bow pickups, golden snub

They announce in less than 24 hours now though. It's like they just wait to make something up. What happened to seeing Ticker Tuesday and planning for it?

Server alert! A portion of our US servers are down at the moment. Working quickly to resolve. Stand by.
Server update, all systems are back online. Play on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom