• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

malfcn

Active Reload twice to someone's head and it downs them..then a stray Gnasher farther away kills me in one shot. This game is awesome.

Another interesting thing happened. Grenade is thrown at me. I run and hide behind a wall. It lands in front of the wall. I got full red and it shows damage from behind.

Huh, I was going to get the Season Pass but I think I'll just get the Fenix Rising DLC by itself instead. The Booster Pack was free, and I'll don't think I'll get much mileage out of the Horde DLC. I'll just wait to pick up RAAM's Shadow when it inevitably goes on sale sometime later in the year.

Kabuto

so I just read the description of the Horde Command Pack dlc and is it basically a pair of skins and characters for 10 bucks? I'm also thinking of picking up the Raam's Shadow dlc, but should I wait or not?

so I just read the description of the Horde Command Pack dlc and is it basically a pair of skins and characters for 10 bucks? I'm also thinking of picking up the Raam's Shadow dlc, but should I wait or not?
Since I bought Season pass on Sep 20th, I don't know the individual values or "worth" of a particular DLC, but here's my take on it as a Gears 3 fan:

Horde Command Pack is worthless to you unless you have good friends that you play Horde with and/or are chashing those achievements (which can be pretty fun). The maps they included in that DLC were posted as free later, if I'm not mistaken (Rustlung, Azura, etc.)

RAAM's Shadow DLC on the other hand is the best DLC I've seen after ME2: Lair of the Shadow Broker. AMAZING DLC. Blasted my way through it three times (once alone, other two with 3 friends in 4player arcade co op). Really, really great experience! I recommend it to any Gears fan.

But, the money's yours so...your call. ;)

Kabuto

Since I bought Season pass on Sep 20th, I don't know the individual values or "worth" of a particular DLC, but here's my take on it as a Gears 3 fan:

Horde Command Pack is worthless to you unless you have good friends that you play Horde with and/or are chashing those achievements (which can be pretty fun). The maps they included in that DLC were posted as free later, if I'm not mistaken (Rustlung, Azura, etc.)

RAAM's Shadow DLC on the other hand is the best DLC I've seen after ME2: Lair of the Shadow Broker. AMAZING DLC. Blasted my way through it three times (once alone, other two with 3 friends in 4player arcade co op). Really, really great experience! I recommend it to any Gears fan.

But, the money's yours so...your call. ;)

oh wow you make me want to buy Raam's Shadow now haha. if it was 5 dollars cheaper I would buy it right now, but for now I think $15 is a little too expensive. I'll try waiting for a sale, but I might impulse buy it haha.

deviant1

ESCALATION IS FUCKING SHIT, GUYS. JUST A HEADS UP.

It was shit in Gears 1, it's even worse now with respawning game types and 5v5. The spawn points flip so often it's damn near impossible to keep track of. It's right up there with Overpass in the shit tier of maps I will quit out of immediately.

oh wow you make me want to buy Raam's Shadow now haha. if it was 5 dollars cheaper I would buy it right now, but for now I think $15 is a little too expensive. I'll try waiting for a sale, but I might impulse buy it haha.
haha. seriously, it's one of the best DLCs in general that I've seen.
Regarding the price, I'm not the one to talk. I got the Season Pass, so I'm not objective on this one. :)

Brakara

I can't say if it will be worth $15 to you, but if you only play it once then you'll get around 3 hours out of it (+/- depending on the difficulty).

Brakara

I see this is still confusing to people. The maps in the horde pack allows you to play them in horde, beast and private versus matches. The free maps are only for public versus matches.

In addition, the pack also has more horde features, like the command center, bot assist and rockets for the silverback.

It's still a tad pricey even if you play horde, but let's be fair, the pack is more than just characters and skins.

Montresor

Is there still no beast/horde DLC playlist? I don't even want to put Gears in until that can get confirmed. What a waste Fenix Rising ended up being.

Brakara

Is there still no beast/horde DLC playlist? I don't even want to put Gears in until that can get confirmed. What a waste Fenix Rising ended up being.

No. And good point, don't buy Fenix Rising for public Horde/Beast. Currently, it's the same shit as Horde in Gears 2 (until Epic gave us separate playlists for DLC and non-DLC).

Gnashes

Neo Member
I see this is still confusing to people. The maps in the horde pack allows you to play them in horde, beast and private versus matches. The free maps are only for public versus matches.

In addition, the pack also has more horde features, like the command center, bot assist and rockets for the silverback.

It's still a tad pricey even if you play horde, but let's be fair, the pack is more than just characters and skins.

I'm not even a big Horde guy, but the Characters, Skins, and access to the maps in Private made it worth it for me. I goof off in private with friends quite a bit, and more variety is always a good thing.

TRios Zen

Been away from this thread for a weekend and missed a lot it seems.

- People complaining about Drydock, Rustlung and Hotel?? Stop the insanity! Those maps rock. The only potential stinker of the three is the inclusion of the silverback on Rustlung. With 'nades spawning opposite though, even that isn't that bad. Hell of a lot better than Overpass for sure.

- Speaking of Overpass...it was NOT out of the rotation Saturday night - No freaking way! I played maybe three hours Saturday night and in that three hours it came up no less than five times and each time I backed the fuck-out. Screw that map.

Also had a couple of new (and weird) things happen this weekend:

1) Was on a match on mercy Saturday night where me and my party (of three) couldn't pick up any weapons or get into cover, but two others on my team and the opposing team had no problem picking up weapons. WTF? How does it choose that shit? No other problems Saturday.

2) Last night, if I hosted the party, as soon as it would try to load us into a game, everybody's 360 would freeze and require a hard restart. Anybody else hosted the party, and in with no problem.

I am beginning to think this game really does hate me.

Brakara

- Speaking of Overpass...it was NOT out of the rotation Saturday night - No freaking way! I played maybe three hours Saturday night and in that three hours it came up no less than five times and each time I backed the fuck-out. Screw that map.

Also had a couple of new (and weird) things happen this weekend:

1) Was on a match on mercy Saturday night where me and my party (of three) couldn't pick up any weapons or get into cover, but two others on my team and the opposing team had no problem picking up weapons. WTF? How does it choose that shit? No other problems Saturday.

Sounds like you weren't on dedis, which would explain Overpass.

Quikies83

I've got 3 spots open for a horde wave 50 run tonight. We're going to try and kick it off between 7 and 8 CST. Anyone interested? Shoot me a message on XBL or reply here.

XBL: Quikies83

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Dang I backed-out and re-started match-making at least 4 different times, and I didn't catch a dedi even once? That sucks.

Sometimes they change the mp settings/id without any warning. Thankfully Quinn sometimes gives everyone a heads up. You have to back out to the title screen an reloa the playlists o get back on dedis.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Turn it into a drinking game. Every time Overpass or Sandbar come up take two shots. If Overpass and Sandbar come up back-to-back then you'll be playing one of them with a slight blur. Much more enjoyable.

Brakara

I think the new maps are bit "meh", overall. Trenches is one map I generally always enjoy these days; it flows like a motherfucker.

In general, I find the new maps to be at the same level as the ones in the booster pack (at least in KOTH).

The Slab - Rustlung
Anvil - Clocktower
Academy - Azura
Depths - Blood Drive
Escalation - Bullet Marsh (*)

(*) I hate Bullet Marsh since it's actually unplayable in KOTH (hills and spawns in kryll).

Last night I didn't get any of the Fenix Rising maps in about an hour of play and got Overpass as well. This was on KOTH. Does this mean I was on P2P? Did they really remove Overpass and Sandbar from the dedicated server maps list?

Just out of touch, trying to get up to speed.

ed: I see Cliffy's tweet about Overpass being axed, but I don't see anything about Sandbar.

ed ed: Wow, we're only just now about to get to OT2. Is Gears really that unpopular?

Brakara

If anything, leaving early should have harsher penalties. So annoying when people leave.

ed ed: Wow, we're only just now about to get to OT2. Is Gears really that unpopular?

More likely because this thread was moved to Community extremely early (like a couple of weeks after release).

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Don't leave Ranked, it's not all that hard to do.

Yup, I love that they are there.

Rage quit and leave me to fuck around with bots? Fuck you, take an EXP penalty.

If anything, leaving early should have harsher penalties. So annoying when people leave.

More likely because this thread was moved to Community extremely early (like a couple of weeks after release).

Also, Gears has a small community, and we don't circle jerk to the game lore like some other game communities. All we talk about it MP here and getting games going.

Gears still is the hardest popular game on XBL to be good at too, so the community is by nature going to be small.

TRios Zen

Never quit a ranked match, but have 3 ranked disconnects on my Versus statistics page. Interesting.

It did seem like this thread was moved INSTANTLY to community at the 4 week mark while other OT's hung around the Gaming forum well past that. Also interesting...

The only thing NOT interesting was my play last night. Damn I stunk it up. My K/D is not moving anytime soon. At least it ain't going backwards I guess!

Gnashes

Neo Member
Never quit a ranked match, but have 3 ranked disconnects on my Versus statistics page. Interesting.

It did seem like this thread was moved INSTANTLY to community at the 4 week mark while other OT's hung around the Gaming forum well past that. Also interesting...

The only thing NOT interesting was my play last night. Damn I stunk it up. My K/D is not moving anytime soon. At least it ain't going backwards I guess!

There were issues when the game first released that leaving public Horde/Beast would give you a disconnect, and even if you finished all 12 waves of Beast you'd still get one. That may be what it's from.

Gnashes

Neo Member

Yup, I love that they are there.

Rage quit and leave me to fuck around with bots? Fuck you, take an EXP penalty.

Here's what they get as of now:

-2000 XP
0 Kills
(All) Deaths
+1 Death
+1 Matches Lost
+1 Ranked Disconnect

I would seriously be in favor of a harsher penalty. 10,000 XP is a drop in the bucket for the full rank system now, make them lose that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom