• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wizman23

Banned
Taurus said:
WARNING! HUGE SPOILERS inside spoiler tags!

Impressions after 7 hours of intense co-op campaign gaming, reached Act VI on normal:

Can't take any impressions seriously that play the game on Normal (Baby mode). Like Halo, if you are playing on Normal you are doing it wrong.

-PXG- said:
100k/hour? You can do much more than that, especially if you're host.

Play Wingman and see how many points you can rack up per match. I've gotten 20-40k per match. Matches last 10-15 minutes, sometimes less.

EDIT

Xbox.com is being annoying. I guess they're doing maintenance. I can't log out. I need to see if people sent FRs to the GAF tags so I can add them :/
Well, you have to consider that this is someone who is level 15, which probably means that he hasn't played the game much. For someone who is decent at the game, I'd say that 100k/hour is fairly accurate.

I think I got around 1 million XP in 3 hours or so during one of the 30x XP weekends, but I've played the game a lot.

-PXG-

Wizman23 said:
Can't take any impressions seriously that play the game on Normal (Baby mode). Like Halo, if you are playing on Normal you are doing it wrong.

Hardcore/Insane, or go home.

I like how Gears has a higher learning curve than other shooters.

h3ro

-PXG- said:
Hardcore/Insane, or go home.

I like how Gears has a higher learning curve than other shooters.

I'm going through the game right away at launch on Hardcore followed immediately by an Insane run. Just like I did for Gears and Gears 2.

Can't wait.

Tawpgun

Fuck you Gears 3 OT. You just convinced me to buy the goddamn game. Jerks. I was trying to save money...

Gonna be Gears 3 - BF3 - Anniversary for the fall...

Hopefully the BF3 Beta doesn't kick in until I at least finish the campaign.

PooBone

Not been following this game at all because Gears 2 took out EVERYTHING I loved about the original, but I heard someone on a podcast say something crazy, that Gears of War 3 was something like 20-30 hours single player. Is this true????

OrangeOak

PooBone said:
Not been following this game at all because Gears 2 took out EVERYTHING I loved about the original, but I heard someone on a podcast say something crazy, that Gears of War 3 was something like 20-30 hours single player. Is this true????

no, but it is 20-30 times better than Gears 2 :D

-PXG-

PooBone said:

LOL

There's your answer.

-PXG-

Mr Solo Dolo said:
Is Insane locked out on your first playthrough like the first two games?

I don't think Epic has said anything. I'm going to assume that it's locked (like it was in Gears 1 and 2) until you finish the campaign.

NBtoaster said:
In terms of single player I feel Gears 2 is much, much better than the first.

Don't get me started....

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Only one thing missing from the outstanding OP.

The GOW3 Throat Communicator -

Gears3AlignedBLOG--article_image.jpg

http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/gears-of-war-3-throat-communicator-for-xbox-360/92653

I saw this yesterday and was in disbelief.

LEGGZZZZ

Hopefully I get this today, even though I won't have impressions until probably Thursday and Friday (Damn school work and working full-time). Going to play on Hardcore from the start, as it's confirmed they reduced the difficulty level coming from Gears 2.

still on the fence about this - I want to try getting into the MP in Gears3 but I never played much of the multiplayer (tourist gamer here, play the campaign and move on), will I be able to enjoy the MP in this? I've always found that if you try to jump into a MP bandwagon after the series has gone on for several titles, the skill level is just too high to allow a newbie to join in the fun properly. Try hopping on BFBC2 for example when you never bothered getting past level 5 or 6 and you get completely destroyed on every server you join.

LEGGZZZZ

FrontalMonk said:
still on the fence about this - I want to try getting into the MP in Gears3 but I never played much of the multiplayer (tourist gamer here, play the campaign and move on), will I be able to enjoy the MP in this? I've always found that if you try to jump into a MP bandwagon after the series has gone on for several titles, the skill level is just too high to allow a newbie to join in the fun properly. Try hopping on BFBC2 for example when you never bothered getting past level 5 or 6 and you get completely destroyed on every server you join.

Just play Horde mode, probably some of the best teamwork/co-op you'll find on the market today.

I cannot wait!

Also, I always play the first time on normal just so I don't die much and get a nice, flowing experience. Then I go back a second time on insane. :D

A lot of copies are showing on craiglist for queens and brooklyn.

Sadly I work in Manhattan. I have to see if my luck serves me right today.

-PXG-

Lord-Audie said:
A lot of copies are showing on craiglist for queens and brooklyn.

Sadly I work in Manhattan. I have to see if my luck serves me right today.

Good luck. Hold onto your kidneys and butt hymen.

FrontalMonk said:

I'm with you on this.

I absolutely loathe Gears competitively, but Horde 2.0 and 4 player co-op campaign are really difficult for me to pass 3 up.

-PXG- said:
Good luck. Hold onto your kidneys and butt hymen.

They are selling for $70 to $80.

Calling the game store i buy from to check if they dropped stock. Hopefully my GF can pick it up if they have it.

-PXG-

Epic has added things like the Sawed Off Shotgun, The Casual Arena (should add that to the OP), spotting, Retro charging and the mantle kick to help new players online.

The learning curve is much steeper since Gears is much different than most games. Plus, you have to remember, people like me have been tearing shit up since 2006. Finally, true skill will finally shine since Epic has pretty much eliminated every networking issue that has plagued the series.

Now we have stable netcode, dedicated servers and host migration. If you played the beta, you should know very well how smooth the performance is.

-PXG-

abracadaver said:
Nah. Gears is a very beginner friendly game. Especially 3

Gears in general has a higher curve. Gears 3 is the most accessible.

The competition in this game is gonna be so good. About damn time we get to play this game for real. Skill can finally be determined and not undermined but total bullshit.

TRios Zen

Great Op PXG - subscribed.

Can't wait for this game. As a completionist though, NOT having immediate access to Commando Dom, Mechanic Baird and the two Savage Locusts sucks though.

I'll be rocking Commando Dom and humming Carlos Santana's "Maria, Maria" to myself.

-PXG-

ONLY SEND A FRIEND REQUEST TO ONE OF THE TAGS.

Do not send one to two, or all three. If you have, cancel/remove yourself off the list.

It's a pain in the ass to keep track of who is on which list, mainly because I can only be signed into one account at a time.

Coldsnap said:
I'm on all Gears GAF tags; ColdsnapBryan

Taking you off the last two then. Give others a fair chance to get added.

Moofers

So where's the best place to get this @ midnight? Walmart has a $20 egift card when you buy GoW3. Anyone got a better deal? I know Amazon does release day delivery, but the stupid UPS guy never gets here until 7pm or later and I don't want to miss a whole goddamn day of playtime.

Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom