• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapture

So close. My chainsaw craves BLOOD!

also love the fact they really fleshed out the Horde mode. It's going to double the lifetime of this game at least.

Mihael Mello Keehl said:
look at yall losers...I meant boosters..
tumblr_lkri7xHuGx1qademk.png

Daigoro

Noriega said:
I've been playing both gears to get caught up to the story.

Gears 3 will be my first owned gears game.

i shouldve bought Gears 1 when it was on sale on GOD last week... played the hell out a friends copy of Gears 2 recently though.

this might be the first one i buy as well. i enjoyed Gears 2 a good deal.

Unknown Soldier said:
Do you actually get anything in Gears 3 for boosting yourself to level 100 in Gears 2?
the gold gnasher and a VG medal or somethin..which after all this xp gold will prolly be pretty normal so whateve..Imma use/buy the thunderstorm and ocean skin if they look how they sound lol..

edit:got beat, wtf!

Hmmmm woke up this morning wanting the Gears of War 3 Limited Edition 360...decisions decisions.

Oooh xp week might have to pop on for some Horde.

Jhoan

You can unlock the Golden Lancer/Hammerburst for the first week that the game is out.

Plus there's several launches going on around the U.S. and other countries. Blezinski and co. will be there full force signing games, showing off the American chopper bike and whatnot. NY (my neck of the woods) plays host to the definitive launch party at the Best Buy Theatre in Times Square starting at 8pm next Tuesday.

I don't know if I'm gonna go because I have class and I don't wanna miss out on it, plus I have a $20 coupon from K-Mart which I was planning on using to get it. I'll probably check out the Gears 3 controller at some point as well. The only problem is that my membership expires 2 days after the game comes out so I gotta get on that.

If I were to go, then I'd be there by 5:40 or so since my school is on the Upper East side. If not, then after my lecture class (after 6:40 so by 7pm). However knowing how huge this game is, its guaranteed that people will probably be there around 8AM or so. If any East Coast GAF people plan on going, let me know and I'll see if we arrange an unofficial GAF meet up so I could at least say hi.

PXG, I don't mean to be a jerk or anything, but I noticed you made a few typos e.g. "to together" under the wingman description. Otherwise, nice job on the OP. You might want to include a link to the Gears wiki for the timeline of the Gears series plus the books.

As for me, I'm looking forward to spending time on Horde while I wait. If anyone wants to help me out with a couple of achievements on MP/Horde or need another player (I'm o.k.; not good) my GT is Johan El Fuerte so hit me up. My older bro already pre-ordered his copy, so it looks like we'll each have a copy and be playing co-op online instead of splitscreen like we did with the previous Gears games.

Horde 2.0 is gonna be sick and after playing the Beta, I love Gears 3's MP so I'm looking forward to kicking ass with the GAF crew even if I'm not the best player. I get the job done for the most part and mark people. My favorite combo is HB/Gnasher. The HB is amazingly accurate and good in this game.

It sucks that the game comes out in the middle of school though, so I'm gonna have to find a way to make time for it and not get in the way of school work.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
How long do you think it would take to get to 100 in Gears 2 from like 15 with the 25x xp boost? I never played much after they revamped the ranking system.

Also I wish humans could be player controlled in Beast mode. That's what I thought it was when I first read about it, kind of disappointing. Seems like a wasted opportunity.

zlatko

Banned
I salute you PXG.

Those upcoming avatars better be god like. Hoping for some sick Hoffman one or Carmine one to snap up. It'll be hard to top the ones that were cooked up in the SF3 thread... I almost caved in to get one of those, but figured I'd stick with my current one till the Gears 3 batch comes.

Fallacy

Neo Member
NameGenerated said:
How long do you think it would take to get to 100 in Gears 2 from like 15 with the 25x xp boost? I never played much after they revamped the ranking system.

Also I wish humans could be player controlled in Beast mode. That's what I thought it was when I first read about it, kind of disappointing. Seems like a wasted opportunity.

A couple weeks if you play every day. I'm at 94 so I should have 100 in a few days.

abracadaver

CozMick said:
Will get week 2-3.

I ain't getting burnt twice, Gears 2 was a complete disaster launch week in multiplayer.

you will unlock a
golden Lancer and golden Hammerburst
if you play in week 1

Taurus

WARNING! HUGE SPOILERS inside spoiler tags!

Impressions after 7 hours of intense co-op campaign gaming, reached Act V on normal:

I'm not feeling the story, at least just yet. Single player campaign hasn't been that great so far, although there have been couple of awesome missions
for example defending the fortress against massive locust attack
but on the other hand there have been at least as many bad missions,
for example both me and my friend felt the underwater submarine mission was stretched and felt out of place.

Dom's death was a surprise, although I expected some or someone of the crew to die.
Clayton Carmine is a bad ass character
, and Epic gives you couple of good laughs about Carmine brothers and their expected fates.

The game's biggest problems IMHO are in the stage design. Narrow maze-like corridors and lot's brown and grey colors. Your objectives are usually very close but you have to go around corner after corner to reach them. These things make the world around you not so credible, it doesn't feel like you are running around in a once living planet. But maybe it's just me expecting this kind of game to be somewhat realistic?

Characters talk a lot, much more than in earlier games. Graphics are top notch, although the engine's limits start to really show (physics are not that good compared to the visuals etc.).

Enough of SP because I know Gears is all about multiplayer and to be honest I haven't even tried it yet (excluding co-op that is). Horde in Gears 2 was the best and I expect Horde 2.0 to be even more awesome. I didn't like earlier Gears games' VS multiplayer modes due to game mechanics and gameplay (shotguns blazing! Battlefield MP is more like my cup of tea) so I think I'm gonna mostly pass them in Gears 3 too, but Horde is going to take so many hours from my life it's not even funny. :D

4 player campaign co-op on hardest diffculty is going to be blast too since we had some fun even with 2 AI characters running around.

I'll post impressions from Horde 2.0 later if I have time to really try it, my schedule is pretty busy until next weekend. :/

For the record, this comes from a person who finished Gears 1 and 2 on hardest difficulty, passed mostly both games' VS online, loved Horde, and really liked both games. So not the biggest fan (which means somewhat objective opinions I guess), but it's definitely a great franchise and I'll probably get Gears 4 day 1, just like Gears 2 and 3. :)

Gowans

I've never been into the multi, always the singleplayer/co-op and then horde with Gears 2.

Something about the multi never clicked till the Gears 3 Beta, this is the first time I'm looking forward to the multi.

I can not wait.

CozMick

Banned
Gr1mLock said:
Im getting misty eyed just thinking about dedicated servers.

Has it been confirmed by Epic if Europe gets there own dedicated servers?

Kinda pointless for Europe if Americans get host 100% of the time.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
CozMick said:
Has it been confirmed by Epic if Europe gets there own dedicated servers?

Kinda pointless for Europe if Americans get host 100% of the time.

All major territories get dedicated servers.

Spitz

Great OP thx PXG

To shorten the wait i will fly from Thursday to Sunday to Mallorca with friends and hopefully Monday the Game will arrive.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Even with the 25x XP and ticker horde how longs it take to get to level 100? Like 20+ hours? I think I'm only level 20 or so :(

Aspiring

Just a question about amazon. I ordered this along with forza 4 in the same order. Will amazon charge the whole amount or just charge me for gears 3?

zlatko

Banned
kaizoku said:
Even with the 25x XP and ticker horde how longs it take to get to level 100? Like 20+ hours? I think I'm only level 20 or so :(

Isn't the fastest way to play competitive MP and rack up kills in execution/warzone since you get the most points that way? Or am I wrong? Idk if you can get to 100 from 20 with the time left. Hell I'm at 73 or 74, and I don't think even I have enough patience to grind out online matches to hit 100. 20x/25x is just too weak sauce. Seems it was more for people who were in the high 80's+ to get to 100.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Good job with the thread, but yeah you got some things to fix man...

Just got word from the dude I buy my games from - it's true what Rod said, Gears 3 is in fact not region-free this time around so I won't be getting the Epic Edition so I'll just have to settle for the LE. For some reason I really don't mind either, probably because I so crazy hyped for the game itself.

All I'm waiting for now is for him to get word about the swag bag that people in the Benelux are supposed to get for pre-ordering the Epic Edition which includes the Season Pass for free, and this'll probably be the best game launch package I'd have bought.

Fallacy said:
A couple weeks if you play every day. I'm at 94 so I should have 100 in a few days.

Weeks? Hell no.

Max a week if you're good and go for points instead of finishing up as fast as possible. If you really wanted to, even if you're at level 1, you'd get level 100 in a week at 25x XP - you'd have to play a LOT every day though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom