• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Judgement |OT| Brothers from the beginning, Bros till the end

I really love the streets map, always have fun games on it. So far the only one I'm not feeling that much is library, feels a little too large/confusing to navigate. Need to spend more time in it.

Also, I'm seeing a lot of the DLC player skins. Dammit people.

For me, Library has actually been the only map to really elicit any semblance of team-based push and pull between the two sides (Longshot/Boomshot). I think Gondola is the worst offender in terms of absolute whatthedickisgoingonyo.

Something positive: last night, I Gnasher gibbed someone from about 3 stories up, mid-flight. It was pretty glorious.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
For me, Library has actually been the only map to really elicit any semblance of team-based push and pull between the two sides (Longshot/Boomshot). I think Gondola is the worst offender in terms of absolute whatthedickisgoingonyo.

Something positive: last night, I Gnasher gibbed someone from about 3 stories up, mid-flight. It was pretty glorious.

Library has been my least played by a decent bit so I don't have much playtime on it, I have seen a lot of holding position around the one secret passage where one player has a boomshot and covers the narrow passage up while another is shooting from above while the rest of the team are guarding the entrance.

Rig has been the most all over the place from my experience, moving around where that helicopter goes.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Some of the skins look good to me, but I keep seeing the ugliest ones. Specifically one that looks like a Unicorn jizzed all over their armor.

Grisby

You guys just aren't hip to the skeleton skin. I like it although I light up like a Christmas tree.

Wish there were more characters to choose from.

smik

Sorry Been away for a bit i know, went out boat fishing :)

For those who question the uniqueness of previous GOW's MP design style (to GOWJ's) and where it stood apart from
the crowd from every other shooter on todays market, its undeniable lost something (to GOW fans & Public perception)

just have a look at GOWJ Multiplayer Map lineup, out of the four maps only Street stands out above the rest, why?
its the closest to asymmetrical design out of the 4, Gondola is absolutely the worst of the 4, almost looks like a map that came straight
out of Uncharted which also is a little to large along with Library.

Not everything is done for in GOWJ, some of the new weapon balances have been done quite nicely eg: Retro/SOS have
been tamed and the new weapons bring something good to the table Marksa,Booshka,OG HB & Breechshot are fantastic new editions,
removable of wall tags and smokes that actually, well smoke.

With the good comes the Bad, the Cheap usage of Stim Grenades, 2 piece (which for years was requested out and
thankfully GOW3 delivered the perfect formula) has been put back in, A completely overpowered Scorcher
(gone 28-1 a couple of times, might upload these for reference and proof) Boomshield and "insert weapon" was never
wanted and actually was a glitch in previous titles that resulting into bans.

and yes running around quickly to each kill, next target is the name of the game in GOWJ because map control is not essential
anymore for the player to get to his desired goal, power weapons are placed everywhere, and spawns shift in multiple directions
hence map control and pushing for weapons are not necessary.

Is GOWJ MP Bad? No. (for alot of Gears fans who support EPIC, well thats a big yes)
but as it is GOWJ is just mediocre,
has alot of borrowed elements from other games (Halo/Uncharted Quick nade throw happens in nearly all close encounters) and with
all unwanted changes combined,it makes impossible for GOW fans to fully embrace it after so much great work was done to get it to GOW3's amazing MP experience.

Thank god im not emotionally invested in GOWJ, i saw this coming from a mile away, so my perspective has changed on the handling of the MP franchise,
i expected this to happen, hopefully this is just some weird experiment gone wrong and GOW4 does a GOW3, take all the great things GOWJ offers,
remove the unnecessary's and turn GOW4 into a complete experience fans are looking for

I miss that too, as well as active reloads and playable Locust in MP.

yes, not the AR damage buffs though.

Just finished my solo hardcore run of the campaign. Three sessions in all and I thought it was over about three times before it actually was. I loved it, but I am biased towards the arcade feel and pure mechanics and speed of the battles and dynamic enemies. Smart spawns and stars mean I'll give the campaign at least another few goes solo and co-op, but the XP and unlocks don't feel very rewarding, outside of the medals really.

I've got to say this though: Those reviewers out there saying that Judgment's campaign is just more of the same are batshit crazy.

So my general feedback on this game: (having only played MP)

1. Feels like a cash grab (this could SERIOUSLY be GoW3 DLC)
2. Overrun is really fun, but very easily exploitable, with some blatantly cheap strategies.
3. Gnasher is USELESS unless you are good at wall bouncing.
4. Power. Weapons.
5. Less fluid gameplay than GoW3.
6. Height makes things interesting, a good addition. (except for on Gondola)
7. Maps except for Streets SUCK. (and there is only four -_-)
8. Stim grenades are the cheapest thing ever. (as is most of the power weapons)
9. Everything is stronger, except for the gnasher.
10. Sofia.

Honestly I feel like this is a huge filler before a planned GoW4 on next gen. Anyone that says there won't be another one is dumb, as long as it sells, it will be made. I'm having fun with it, but this is just not the same, and with only FOUR fucking maps, and all the other unlocks/maps and whatnot costing me Microsoft Points or money, I don't know how long I'll be interested. I honestly only bought this because Overrun is alot of fun.

I'm 50/50 on whether I regret buying it.

2. Overrun is really fun, but very easily exploitable, with some blatantly cheap strategies.
4. Power. Weapons.
10. Sofia.

Honestly I feel like this is a huge filler before a planned GoW4 on next gen. Anyone that says there won't be another one is dumb, as long as it sells, it will be made. I'm having fun with it, but this is just not the same, and with only FOUR fucking maps, and all the other unlocks/maps and whatnot costing me Microsoft Points or money, I don't know how long I'll be interested. I honestly only bought this because Overrun is alot of fun.

No

I agree with everything else though.

Judgement is the best multiplayer in the series hands down, fast aggressive just what the series needed to return to its roots

I'm a gear head through and through and finishing first place in FFA is amazing!

Stella job, had cramp in my hand lastnight and I can't say I have had that since gears 1

No other game makes you keep moving like this one does

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
No, like I said above the campaign was pretty damn fun. Felt a lot more frantic than Gears 3. Overrun is also a really fun alternate to Horde.

The MP is a bit whack though. I'm having an ok time and it's funny to use the 1-2 gnasher deal but there are a lot of core problems.

why was gears never able to sort this out? I don't get it. they always had weird hit detection issues and 'i've got host HOORAY' shit was ridiculous. I used to try and play online and couldn't almost ever hit SHIT with the shotgun. If my character even looks at another dude with a shotgun though he'd just explode. Could never sort out which times it was me being shit and which times it was the game being shit, sounds like they didn't fix it :(

FroJay

Banned

4. Power. Weapons.
10. Sofia.

First Gears I skipped, glad I did. If I want Gears multi I can still go back and play Gears 3, I'm sure people are still playing it, and more might come back if GOWJ is a disaster. Downloaded the overrun demo and hated it, cash grab if I've ever seen one.

GOWJ multi in a nut shell?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4QVn0hmWpk

My buddies and I just passed the halfway mark through the campaign and it's fantastic so far.

If you're expecting/wanting crazy set pieces, then you will be disappointed(of course something could happen during the second half) not to mention there is Aftermath to play as well.

The declassified missions add more challenge(forcing you to change your play style) and add replay value. Really a brilliant idea that more games will probably take note of in the future.

As for MP, Overrun is what makes this all worth it. Classic concept with a Gears twist and gets intense, battling out who finishes with a better time. Whereas TDM and FFA loses all tension by having the gameplay sped up and losing any sort of tactical presence the previous Gears had.

Definitely looking forward to the two free maps and Execution mode being brought back in, but may be too late for some. Really lame to ship 4 TDM/FFA maps. 4 for Overrun is fine out of the box. EPIC should have included at least 2 more TDM maps in the box(hell I'd take some old maps even if they wouldn't fit with the current mp).

I'm pretty interested to see what they patch in/out of MP in the coming weeks.

Kabuto

I played the campaign on Hardcore difficulty with a couple of randoms today and it was pretty fun.

- The campaign was nothing mindblowing but the Declassified missions were very fun with 4 people.

- Tripwire Crossbow is so cool; loved using it whenever I picked it up.

- Karn was a really bad villain.
Literally only saw him two times in the campaign, never got any backstory for him other than he attacked the Academy and the UIR, and we never got the reason why he was attacking Halvo Bay.

- The final boss battle wasn't as bad as reviews said it would be in my opinion. Thought it was pretty fun as well.

- I loved how we could hear
Marcus
in some parts of the campaign.

- Encountered a glitch where a Shrieker somehow flew to the street level while we were on the rooftop and we couldn't shoot at it so we had to restart the checkpoint.

I also played a little bit of FFA today.

- At first I didn't really like the chaotic nature of Free For All, but announcing where I was on the map and seeing people come after me or telling someone to turn around while I was chasing them to 1v1 me is just too fun. I also love running into a group of people shotgun battling one another and killing them both :p

The campaign is just balls out awesome.

Some of the declassified challenges are brutal.

Yeah the campaign was easily the best in the series. I was really floored by how many different types of declassified missions they came up with. You are right about some of them being brutal. I did them all on hardcore 2 player co-op, and there were a few we had to redo. This game felt harder in spots then the other 3 games did on insane.

HiiiLife

Okay after putting in a few more hours into multiplayer, there are only a couple things I like. The Breechshot is definitely cool, and FFA is a nice addition to the series. I can see myself loving the feature that let's you jump off ledges but as of right now, I just don't know about that yet.

I never had a problem with the weapon select/grenade throw in the previous games and I even prefer the pace of GoW3. I miss executions and I miss Cogs vs Locust. TDM was my main gametype in GoW3 and I even prefer that style over the first-to-50 in Judgement. And these maps are just </3. I dunno if I want to sell this game or keep it and hope they tweak it a bit..

-PXG-

Hopefully things are different tonight. If I can't enjoy this game with a buzz, then I dint know what to say. f not, it's back to Gears 3.

Hell...Monster Hunter is still in it's shrink wrap.

EagleEyes

Man the campaign for Judgment is intense with the declassified missions on. What a rush sometimes on hardcore with 3 other friends trying to get through some of those sections. PCF did great work here and now that i've started Aftermath it all seems a little docile compared to what I just went through on Judgment lol. I have to say I enjoyed the Judgment campaign far more than I thought I was going to. The sawed off shotty <3

JimiNutz

Banned
Waiting for UPS to deliver my fixed 360 so that I can play this.

Based on what I'm reading I think I'll stick to campaign for now and then dip my toes in Overrun next week.

GolazoDan

I caved. Gamertag's GolazoDan. Let's bro up, y'all.

Really like overrun in the demo, hope it's as fun in the main game. I'm not a big kill death ratio guy so I like modes like this where I can still contribute.

Top Bottom