• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geoff Keighley: PS4 Used Game DRM (EDIT: but now apparently on hold)

zeopower6

MS Used Rumor: Set in stone
Sony Used Rumor: "Pulled out of his ass" "BS" "I'll wait till I hear it from Sony"

The rumor originally came from them though. Sony hasn't really said much about it other than "used games will work on the PS4." Not the same thing.

And it sounds like Sony has backtracked on any potential used-game-DRM after seeing the complete meltdown that happened because of the XBOX One's announcement that they would charge a fee for used games.

This thread title really is quite misleading... :(

Sources Say Sony Will Include PS4 Used Game DRM

I mean, there aren't even any sources to speak of. He's Heard That Sony Might Potentially Include PS4 Used Game DRM is more accurate to what he actually said and less alarming to anyone.

Except, sony will support offline gaming, which means that games will not be abble to totally be connected to user accounts. However, publishers may chose to adopt "online requirement" for every game they release.

Which in turn is what makes it a bullshit distinction without a difference. If MS has a platform-wide system that prevents resale and true ownership, while Sony simply provides the tools to do so (and then all the big publishers jump on board), the end result is still two platforms where consumers are getting all the downsides of digital without any of the benefits.

They won't have it optional for third parties, either.

If it isn't present at all I certainly will be showing my appreciation (and I suspect it'll be a much bigger competitive advantage for Sony than Microsoft currently expects) but based on recent history I am far more inclined to believe both platform-holders carrying water for the big publishers than either one taking a stand against anti-consumer bullshit. (But hey, pleasantly surprise me!)

Alienous

I don't mind if Sony do it, but this is how they should:

Kaz Hirai/Jack Tretton said:
You see, our industry has been shifting towards this for a while now. If we didn't have this DRM, it would require us to cut ties with some of our best third party developers, and we were not willing to do this, so some sacrifices needed to be made. You'll be able to enjoy a slew of great first and third party title efforts this year, and in the following years, and that is our priority. All users on a single system will be able to access games registered to that system, but subsequent consoles will need to purchase the game before playing. It is, of course, up to the individual publisher; our Sony first party titles will not be releasing with any form of DRM, for instance. We hope that gamers appreciate the costs that third party publishers accrue from the sale of used games, and are understanding of our choice. We will try our best to make the model transition as painless as possible, and continue to give the best value to our consumers.

As long as they can interpret to gamers why DRM is in place, they should be alright.

LuuKyK

I actually did caution that it was coming about a week ago. Because as of a week ago it was.

I just heard on friday that it wasn't. I didn't want to come right out and post about it because leak-y individuals like myself are getting a bit too much attention and I don't care about myself but Im not really looking to get my friends into trouble. But i've confirmed it with a second person so I got dumb and posted it.

Chubigans can vouch for me though on having been correct on other sony leaks in the past.

And chubigans should probably PM me again telling me to be quiet.

Please be true. ;-;

Not surprised really, I have some issues with MS regarding strategy, hardware choices that Sony don't follow but maybe it's time I built that gaming PC I've wanted to for a while and see what Nintendo does to give Wii U a kick up the backside

teiresias

More like relishing the poetic justice of the situation.

What poetic justice? That consumers can't influence companies to abandon anti-consumer policies. You really would rather people stay silent and let these companies do what they're trying to do? All so you can have a few chuckles. Glad you care so much about this hobby and this industry (massive sarcasm).

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I can indeed. And I should indeed, haha.

mortimer has some legit sources guys. If a mod needs me to confirm I certainly can.

I already know mortimer is legit, no worries chubigans. I think the other mods that read the rumor threads do too.

Lots of denial that they would do this but there is no way ea would have stopped online passes without it. They are after alljust a business like any other and profit is why they are there.

Pc and wiiu for me then.

RELIGHT

Banned
Some of the denial in this thread is amusing. You need to be outraged at people who pirate games because they are the reason this is happening. Just look at the fiasco's that occurred this gen. Now everyone will be paying for it quite literally. Regardless, this will not prevent that many people from buying the consoles. People will buy them regardless. Yes, there will be some that don't but they are such a minority that they're non-buy won't even be felt.

tranciful

Did I say it didn't exist?
Yes?
the PC market never had a real 2nd hand market to begin with

Back then, it was basically on the same level as console games. It wasn't fully developed like the used console market is today, but neither was the used console game market back then.

Underlined - This is just wrong.
...the underlined was 100% factual, dude.

The competition differences between the open systems of the PC market is in a completely different world. The difference between MS/Sony/Nintendo is as close as you can get to the cable companies . The money you need to invest for each system is quite high(increased barrier of entry), and what comes with this is a completely controlled environment, where if you dont like what they offer the only option is switching to the competition, which is another heavy investment. Because the price of entry and how closed each system is, combined with how the consoles have no OS competition leaves very little incentive to adjust price, beyond making sure you dont go higher then the other guy.

The difference of how competition works between the PC and the console companies simply isn't the same. IF you don't like the DD service of Xboxone/sony you dont have the option to use steam or GOG with your system, you are stuck with what you have, beyond everyone else.
Not sure where you live, but I literally have one choice with cable providers. One. This isn't like that.

There's more friction to switch a console compared to switching from Steam to Origin (the price of the console, accessories), but again it's the same with switching phones (phones arguably have more friction, considering many require long term contracts).

iOS is no different than a console -- it's a closed platform with proprietary hardware and a single online store that has no legitimate alternatives... with extremely competitive software prices that totally contradict your argument. next, you're going to try to argue that
cheaper prices (few bucks on iOS) make it meaningless compared to expensive console games
, which I won't agree with, but I'm not going to bother dragging this argument on longer than I already have

Majukun

I hope they do just to see how people who have laid it on so thick this week will react. I'm just here for amusement.

this is gaf,we are unbiased in our assholiness towards who doesn't please us.

or at least it's what gametrailers told me about gaf.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
He said basically what Geoff was saying, that they were heavily considering it.

My problem is, all the "hush hush" insider bullshit is just as easily stemming from stuff we knew about back in January:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=506560
But filtering back out because used games is the hot topic and people are searching this stuff out again. What goes from one guy reading that article late or finding out about it even if its been long since not part of the PS4 plan becomes a "well I did hear something etc".

But then watch Sony make a mook of me and go in fangs dripping.

Salaadin

Wow. If Sony planned it and then pulled it, Im happy. This is exactly why the internet reaction was important. It looks ridiculous but if the higher ups see it and make changes because of it, then we win.

Would any one of you implement this type of draconian DRM after seeing the unprecedented backlash and damage it's done to your biggest competitor? No one with an ounce of common sense would.

Paraphrased but you get the idea...

Mark Cerny: PS4 is the first console where we spoke to Developers and Publishers to offer input on what they wanted in a new system...

Publishers: We want DRM, those pesky second hand games sales are killing us man!

Mark Cerny: You've got it!

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
I can't see any 3rd party publisher NOT doing this, if there's an option.

Me too, but these games are most certainly also coming to the pc, so if i was inclined to buy them i would choose to buy them over steam. If the exclusives stay DRM free the ps4 is worthwhile for me.

GeoramA

Lame as shit, but what choice do they have? They stand to lose a lot from publishers if they don't follow MS's path.

sublimit

Banned
Just listened to Keighley's comment again and it sounds very vague to say the least...I don't think he has a clue or maybe he wants to ease MS's backlash burden a bit by directing it to somewhere else.
Sony is an easy target right now especially for a supposed "insider" like Keighley.

Sony have to realise that if Microsoft is doing something it just gives them a license to do it too, rather than the opposite.

What else are people gonna do, buy Wii Us? Don't be absurd.

ReaperXL7

Thread title probably needs to be changed based on what Fastmortimer is saying, but its probably still not a bad idea to keep the pressure on these companies.

Honestly with Sony needing ths PS4 to be successful I can see them caving to consumer pressure before MS, and I remember Tretton saying he believed blocking used games was anti consumer in an interview with Geoff, so I can believe that there was internal struggle over the issue.

LCfiner

I actually did caution that it was coming about a week ago. Because as of a week ago it was.

I just heard on friday that it wasn't. I didn't want to come right out and post about it because leak-y individuals like myself are getting a bit too much attention and I don't care about myself but Im not really looking to get my friends into trouble. But i've confirmed it with a second person so I got dumb and posted it.

Chubigans can vouch for me though on having been correct on other sony leaks in the past.

a bit of hope. I would be really bummed out if both of these new consoles had used game restrictions.

I hope Sony can confirm with some E3 (or pre E3) interviews that they're not forcing online checks or the used game restrictions that would require online checks.

farisr

Dorito pope trying to shift some of the attention away from MS what a surprise.

just kidding.

If true, then the wii u goes to the top of my "next-console to buy" list. Which is just sad considering it had been a distant last since before anything official was even known about the ps4 and xbone.

p3tran

Banned
The quote always was:

So if someone buys a PlayStation 4 game, I asked, you're not going to stop them reselling it?
"Aaaah," was Yoshida's initial answer, but seemingly only because he'd forgotten his line. "So what was our official answer to our internal question?" he asked his Japanese PR advisor. The advisor stepped in but didn't seem to answer clearly, at least to my ears. Yoshida then took control again firmly:

"So, used games can play on PS4. How is that?"

And it is true.

no my friend. try quoting 2 lines before for better comprehension:

Do you agree, I asked?

"Yes. That's the general expectation by consumers," said Yoshida.
"They purchase physical form, they want to use it everywhere, right? So that's my expectation."
and then, as a second confirmation comes the "used games can play on ps4"

sTeLioSco

Banned
not even the same thing with ms because they dont afford to set up a system like ms.

and you dont need an internet connection which is confirmed and makes a big difference.

Spongebob

Banned
10 year lifespan for PS3 indeed

image.php

:p

I don't usually buy used games or sell my games but I won't buy PS4 either if this is true

WiiU really is looking better and better

I hope you're right

Do not be surprised if BOTH Microsoft and Sony completely abandon used game DRM because of the backlash. I think we're marching toward that. Ultimately, the publishers have to bow before the two of those companies. If Microsoft and Sony decide that they're firmly against it the publishers have no choice in the matter.
Fans of both consoles will end up accepting it in the end. Sony and MS are looking at the long term here, and for their business it's the right thing to do. If anything screws them over, it will be the publishers refusing to lower prices to make up for the lost value (like you get with PC games). Hell, I think publishers are just stupid enough to raise prices thinking they can get away with it after watching Call of Duty Ghost sell well at $79.

Dorito pope trying to shift some of the attention away from MS what a surprise.

just kidding.

If true, then the wii u goes to the top of my "next-console to buy" list. Which is just sad considering it had been a distant last since before anything official was even known about the ps4 and xbone.

So you care more about being able to trade in your games than you do about playing good games?

Top Bottom