• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geoff Keighley: PS4 Used Game DRM (EDIT: but now apparently on hold)

hirokazu

It kind of surprises me that the general reaction to Sony potentially doing it is "Oh it'll be voluntary, the publishers made them do it," while Microsoft has copped so much shit for it.

Granted its somewhat less shocking after Microsoft let the cat out of the bag first, and Microsoft created their own PR nightmare by fumbling and not giving straight answers.

But then again, Yoshida didn't entirely disclaim it when rumours first surfaced about it and yet people were satisfied with his answer.

I actually did caution that it was coming about a week ago. Because as of a week ago it was.

I just heard on friday that it wasn't. I didn't want to come right out and post about it because leak-y individuals like myself are getting a bit too much attention and I don't care about myself but Im not really looking to get my friends into trouble. But i've confirmed it with a second person so I got dumb and posted it.

Chubigans can vouch for me though on having been correct on other sony leaks in the past.

And chubigans should probably PM me again telling me to be quiet.

I can indeed. And I should indeed, haha.

mortimer has some legit sources guys. If a mod needs me to confirm I certainly can.

well, there it is.

CDX

I actually did caution that it was coming about a week ago. Because as of a week ago it was.

I just heard on friday that it wasn't. I didn't want to come right out and post about it because leak-y individuals like myself are getting a bit too much attention and I don't care about myself but Im not really looking to get my friends into trouble. But i've confirmed it with a second person so I got dumb and posted it.

Chubigans can vouch for me though on having been correct on other sony leaks in the past.

I can indeed. And I should indeed, haha.

mortimer has some legit sources guys. If a mod needs me to confirm I certainly can.

I already know mortimer is legit, no worries chubigans. I think the other mods that read the rumor threads do too.

I really hope this is true.

I hope Sony's abandoned any anti used or highly restrictive DRM ideas they were thinking about implementing.

Cidd

Oh this is freaking amazing if true, so MS was basically Sony's beta testers lol.

Boke1879

Don't stop the onslaught guys. Our voices can clearly make a difference. I tweeted Shu Yoshida this thread and told him if they go down the same route MS is then it would really make me reconsider buy the system.

I suggest many if not all of you do the same. here is his twitter.

https://twitter.com/yosp

Darknight

and they'll catch 1/100th the flack as microsoft as usual.

Dude, stop with your console war BS.

MS has been the first to announce their draconian DRM on XB1. At the moment, we do not know if Sony will follow the same path BUT I can guarantee you they will get the same shit if they have their own DRM with always online, lend fee shit.

Now say, when you compare both XB1 and PS4 and both have their own DRM going on, you will have to see which one to go on with. Better games, better indie support. better OS functionality, better "TV" apps, whatever, we will have to see which one will better.

If they both dont offer anything good. PC is the way to go but stop with this nonsense that Sony has a "pass". We have had countless DOOM PS3 threads or how Sony is going down, out of the industry. MS right now is getting alot of shit because they have basically outlined their console path for the next 5-6 years. This new scoop is a little worrying on Sony so we will see what happens.

So next gen will possibly be

Sony with DRM
Microsoft with DRM + Spy Cam

It's really looking like a douche and turd sandwich race at this point for the consumer.

Danneee

Wow, if sony actually did drop some kind of archaic DRM just because of consumer criticism against such a DRM on another platform they do deserve my money.

Sean*O

Also to the question on if "Devs/publishers will just sit back and be OK with one system being DRM and the other not"

Yes, I think they will have little choice. Let them publish only for Xbone and see how many copies they sell. At this point it will be a much greater loss of revenue than they have ever seen from used games and pirated software combined.

This would be a different argument if the Xbone wasn't on track to have it's sales crippled by the always online used games blocking policy, but since it's a reality as of now, any pub that wants to go exclusive to that system when they have the option of going multi plat and selling another million copies would be ending themselves.

Any publishers who take a hard line stance and side with MS on this will come crawling back begging to Sony & Nintendo after a very short time.

Raupet

Neo Member
If it's true then why hasn't this been leaked after the MS reveal? It would save MS from taking the heat alone?

Carl

good... i think

Drencrom

I just heard on friday that it wasn't.
I didn't want to come right out and post about it because leak-y individuals like myself are getting a bit too much attention and I don't care about myself but Im not really looking to get my friends into trouble. But i've confirmed it with a second person so I got dumb and posted it.

I already know mortimer is legit, no worries chubigans. I think the other mods that read the rumor threads do too.

Good to hear, but people really need to voice their complaints about this.

So you'll buy no games.

And what's so hard about that? I buy all my games new and never sell them, but if Sony follows Microsoft with this, I will speak with my wallet and not buy games anymore, the industry can burn in hell for all I care. For me this is no different than when a publisher puts out a shit game, if it's shit, I'm not buying.

That being said, I will wait until I hear it at E3.

tranciful

iOS is a service, not the same as a hardware manufacturer. There is competition outside of that particular service, through droid, windows, jail breaks and ect. iOS has to stay competitive with pricing because there is to much potential competition. MS, Sony, and Nintendo completely control the console market, the oligopoly this creates and will create even more without the 2nd hand market is just obvious.

You will not see the same value adjustments that the PC market has and you are kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

Now this, this is just wrong.

Droid/W8 is competition like Xbox is competition to Playstation. Apple/Google/Microsoft mobile phone and tablet oligopoly is quite a lot like the Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft console oligopoly.

Jailbreak isn't competition... it's not even a market. It's piracy. jailbreakers aren't worth shit to content creators.

Question, if he does have legit sources and everything, wouldn't EA be really pissed off at Sony?

EA has seen the same reactions as Microsoft. Everybody in the industry has seen the reactions, and I am pretty sure they are all pretty scared that the millions which they have invested in nextgen titles are going down the drain.

Stuart444

Well, I guess I'll be prepared for the worst but I won't jump to conclusions. (I said this with the Xbox One as well. I didn't like that it turned out true either).

If true, I guess I'll stay on this gen and just see how next gen goes. If sales go badly enough (and once word of mouth gets out to the casuals, that MIGHT just happen) then we'll see how things go after that.

Besides that yeah, I don't plan on supporting any console/company that implements stuff like this, regardless of previous Hype I may have had (ie after the PS4 reveal).

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
PC for every 3rd party game possible it is then. I'm going to get a fully loaded AMD HD 9870 or nVidia GTX 880, whichever comes out first (looking like AMD around new years).

I'll get whichever console has the best first party games and that's all I'll use it for. No jailed up "ecosystem" for me.

sublimit

Banned
no my friend. try quoting 2 lines before for better comprehension:

and then, as a second confirmation comes the "used games can play on ps4"

Yeah Yoshida was pretty clear about it and he hasn't give me the right to not trust his words (yet).

I'm just going to mention something that seems to blow people's minds:

Game publishers/developers only deserve to get money for their product when they sell it NEW.

Games are not "special." They are not somehow better than books, movies, cars, old t-shirts, old issues of National Geographic, used Dell PC's with windows 98 on them, old Scooby Doo lunchboxes and on and on and on.....

Once it's sold NEW, that ends the relationship between game/book/movie/whatever publisher/developer and the customer. PC games seem to have been the one exception so far. So far, because if you put up with this shit in next-gen consoles you will lose your rights completely. The slippery slope is sliding.... Don't buy an Xbone and don't buy a PS4 if they do this!!

/end rant

Acosta

A smile in my face... Hoping for the best now.

Perhaps shouting and screaming for consumer works sometimes after all.

Competition is the point of this whole free market thing, right?

Sure. But nobody is going to reject these consoles because of this (they may say they will, but they are unlikely to stick to it). And Sony would be at a disadvantage in terms of support (to an extent) if they are not as friendly to publishers as Microsoft. So why risk that when the alternative is just to do with Microsoft is doing and use your first party and superior graphics speak for themselves?

ReaperXL7

Question, if he does have legit sources and everything, wouldn't EA be really pissed off at Sony?

If Sony ends up with a larger install base then Microsoft because of these issues EA wont be able to do shit, and if they pull support after Sony announces it everyone will know why, and where do you think the pitchforks will turn?

I think the console makers have more power in this issue then some think they do.

Coolwhip

Banned
As long as Sony doesnt force an always on kinect on me Im good. Never bought a second hand game or sold games. I do hope we get a clear solution for ownership of digital goods soon though. But thats an issue much larger than gaming.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
I really don't understand these company's... I mean we already are going the way they want by the simple fact that we buy our games digitally more and more. Why not just go with the trend and wait a couple of years! Why do they have resort to this and piss everybody off?

I don't buy used games, but I do sell my games. It was glorious when I sold a used copy of Red Dead Redemption for $50. It gets even better when I sold Golden Gun DLC for $20! I got RDR new for $50.

Just watched the show now, what was actually said

"white knight (referring to Sony) that's not going to restrict used games, based on some of the things I'm hearing I don't think that's entirely true because I can't see publishers allowing one system to do one thing or the other".

Sounds like a guess based on the weight the bolded part has. He didn't even mention "sources", or say the word sources, only said some things he is hearing. The title therefore is rather misleading.

Seriously op, how long did you think no one was going to figure out this thread is bullshit? You even included the link. lol

Woffls

Sony is missing one hell of an opportunity here, and they know it, so the only logical explanation is that both Sony and Microsoft have already made deals with publishers that require them to release such restrictive systems.

It's a real shame that publishers have such leverage over platform holders, all to solve a "problem" the publishers invented themselves. They assume that people will buy games regardless, but they won't, they just won't.

I don't care personally because I don't sell games or buy them used, but I don't understand how these tactics are helping small to medium sized publishers who can't afford the luxury of marketing to sell a game.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

Well, EA has changed from having an exclusive deal with Sony and giving early/exclusive DLC to having the deal with MS for next gen. Dunno if that had anything to do with used games, but it's certainly interesting timing.

Miles X

So next gen will possibly be

Sony with DRM
Microsoft with DRM + Spy Cam

It's really looking like a douche and turd sandwich race at this point for the consumer.

Spy Cam? Really now? They've already said they won't be 'spying' on anyone. If you believe they will I have a tin foil hat to sell you.

Also, yeah figures Sony don't get nearly the amount of shit MS got for this.

I would actually say this is a surprise, going by Sony's comments a few months ago.

It would be an amazingly good sign if community reaction changed plans like this. It would be stupid for Sony to have agreed to such a thing in the first place, but listening to what people are saying and reacting accordingly is nice.

farisr

So you care more about being able to trade in your games than you do about playing good games?

I care more about being able to do what I want with my physical disc based games and vote with my wallet against policies that I don't agree with.

Note how I said wii u goes on the top of the list, meaning a list still exists. It just means I'll be waiting for the ps4 and xbone to be at a really low price (less than $150, which even the ps3s aren't at yet) before I ever buy them, whereas if the policies aren't there for the ps4, I'll be buying it on launch day.

Hana-Bi

Well, if Sony had planned this and just decided against it, some publishers will be really pissed.

If everything hinted at a similiar DRM system on the PS4 and the publishers trusted on this system, the e3 will be really interesting.

"Hey, you know about your used game plans on our PS4? Well, scrap them..."

Sean*O

Sony is playing a great game of chess if they did float rumors and let MS test the market. I can't believe either side would be stupid enough to announce it though, just says volumes about the people running Microsoft these days. They aren't the same company they used to be.

DBT85

Wait, so it looked like bad news and now it looks like good news. There will be many more pages before everyone sees the good news.

To requote

Certinty

Hope it's not true.

Hate to say this but if it is true i'll probably end up still buying a PS4. A gaming PC and Wii U don't interest me at all so I suppose I'll have to find a way to live with it.

I feel like Sony has been pretty pro consumer with things like their 2 for 1 deal on PS3/Vita, free games and game trials etc, so I'm not sure how they will really go about doing this.

Spy Cam? Really now? They've already said they won't be 'spying' on anyone. If you believe they will I have a tin foil hat to sell you.

Also, yeah figures Sony don't get nearly the amount of shit MS got for this.

I would actually say this is a surprise, going by Sony's comments a few months ago.
Who's to say they aren't lying? There's a difference between being a conspiracy theorist and not questioning anything.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
What will Hardcore gamers do?

you all are going to buy these consoles.

PC when I can. Steam has DRM, but the games are way cheaper. They persist between generations and can be deployed to any PC. If Valve went under they would unlock all games. I also don't have to sort through irrelevant shit advertising to get to my content.

jacobs34

Man. Like I've been saying in the Xbox One threads, let's wait until we get some hard facts to react. It's irresponsible to judge with the info we have now, especially with this Keighley "quote".

Top Bottom