• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geoff Keighley: PS4 Used Game DRM (EDIT: but now apparently on hold)

To be fair, we still should not back off on these companies, more pressure on them and threats to their profit margins can change policies. I had already started contacting consumer rights organizations for Microsoft. If we find out Sony is going down that path come E3 i will do the same. The only way to change anything is to fight back.

If they have actually chosen to drop it I expect confirmation at E3.

100% agree. If they think they can get away with some stuff that will make them more money they will try to. If the general internet public calls them on it... they won't. It's that simple.

I don't know this for a fact but there were so many different sources that said the xbone was always online. And then the orth thing happened and people went completely apeshit. A month later microsoft announces it only has to check in once a day. It's still not great but I really do believe it was the entire blow up around Orth that changed it from 3 minutes (which many sources said) to once a day.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
IF Sony actually backs out of this... I'm not sure how Xbox cant. I mean wouldn't that kill them?

I don't see Microsoft saying, "Hey guys, we got a ton of Youtube thumbs down over the last few weeks and now Sony isn't doing DRM, let's pull the plug on this DRM system we've been working on for months and this retail infrastructure we've already developed and say goodbye to years of potential used game profits so game forums can calm the hell down."

Jinko

I'll need more info on how Sony plan to do this before I decide whether to support them next gen, hopefully this won't happen.

Drencrom

I really hope what Mortimer says is true, but people better start voicing their displeasure with DRM more now than ever.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
962.gif

I actually did caution that it was coming about a week ago. Because as of a week ago it was.

I just heard on friday that it wasn't. I didn't want to come right out and post about it because leak-y individuals like myself are getting a bit too much attention and I don't care about myself but Im not really looking to get my friends into trouble. But i've confirmed it with a second person so I got dumb and posted it.

Chubigans can vouch for me though on having been correct on other sony leaks in the past.

And chubigans should probably PM me again telling me to be quiet.
oh thank god...

So... EA are the mastermind supervillians forcing this on the platform holders?

I highly doubt even MS would be eager do this sort of thing of their own volition if it wasn't to entice pubs who had thrown themselves into this Dogma out of stagnant stock price desperation.

There's been quite alot of reports detailing research on "used game damage" in recent years; answers to questions that no one was asking (similar to alot of "issues" recently).

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
anyone who thinks Ubisoft and EA is going to allow the PS4 to be without some sort of DRM like XB1 has is not being realistic. Sony's just trying to figure out how to break it to you all lolol

Eusis

IF Sony actually backs out of this... I'm not sure how Xbox cant. I mean wouldn't that kill them?
It may be that Microsoft's setup was more sophisticated but by proxy also harder to disable. Sony could well have just set it with codes you input much like a PC game or even the online passes, and either was going to require them but will now make them optional, or made them optional in the first place but will now not even allow them to survive QA, but Microsoft has so much invested in it that they simply can't back out, just keep going and brace for the worst.

Would be nice if the backlash caused both of them to do a complete backpedal. Have to wonder how the publishers that pushed for this (assuming they did) will ultimately react, I imagine EA'd be left flatfooted on playing favorites, but maybe they'd instead get so desperate as to seriously move to PC entirely or nearly entirely (I doubt the others pushed AS hard, EA's the one with the history of pulling games due to the platform holder allowing competition in their preferred genre.)

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I don't know this for a fact but there were so many different sources that said the xbone was always online. And then the orth thing happened and people went completely apeshit. A month later microsoft announces it only has to check in once a day. It's still not great but I really do believe it was the entire blow up around Orth that changed it from 3 minutes (which many sources said) to once a day.

crazybuttocks backed this up actually, so it's 99.9% true.

DBT85

But if what famousmortimer says is true then it means that Yoshida was lying about Sony never considered an always online function.
Damn. :/

You can have DRM without always online.

PC games have had DRM that didn't need an online connection for fucking ever.

Danneee

I don't understand what EA has got against used games. Their sports division must thrive on it what with people trading in last years edition towards the latest FIFA/NBA LIVE/NHL etc.
Now, if people can't get rid of their pile of old sports games I can see more people updating to the latest version a lot less often.

paskowitz

Gemüsepizza;59457097 said:
If Sony lets publishers decide, then it's of course very different from what Microsoft is planning. What are people thinking? That Sony can just say to EA and Ubisoft that they aren't allowed to use such a feature?

This is what I think.

Short version:
-First time registration on any console requires internet connection
-There will be no full disc install and as a result there will be no internet check once a disk has been registered. IE you will always need the disc to play the game.
-If a game is played on another console than the one it was originally registered on there will be an internet check and you will need to sign into your PSN to play the game. The game will only play for a specified amount of time without an internet check.
-If you want to sell your game, you must sign into your PSN and pay an unlcok fee. This brings the disc back to the state you bought it in for the person you are selling the game to.
-Game stores will be able to do this onsite. In this instance they absorb the fee.
-Here is the kicker...This system will be OPTIONAL for developers. They can do this, a form of season pass or no fee or registration requirement. They also set the prices, if any.

Long version:
First, IMO the whole XBO side of this is made far more complicated by having every game being installed. If the game is not installed and the disc is required to play you do not need an internet connection to validate the install. I am going to assume (for the sake of my point) Sony will not require this.

You register your disc to your system (this requires an internet connection). Once it is registered any person/PSN account can play that game with no restrictions on that system (Mommy, Daddy and little Timmy can all play COD). After it is registered you do not need an internet connection to play the game. On the primary console the registration data will be housed locally so no internet connection is required. This will also be the cased for downloadable games.

When you go to someone's house, you need to register the game on their system (with the internet). In this case, the system sees that the game has already been registered on another console and will require you to sign into your PSN to play the game. In this instance there will be some form of internet check/requirement (I hope it is more than 24hrs. IMO 3 days is reasonable. 3 day rule :), right?). When you sign out on your friends console he has X amount of time to play the game before he is locked out.

If you want to give your friend the game, person to person exchange, you will need to pay a fee. To do this you must log into your PSN account (on any console) and then pay a fee to unregister the disk from your console. Once this is paid, the disk can be sold to any person. The other person then absorbs the cost... obviously. This will not work with downloadable games.

When you trade the game into a store, they can take the disc and perform the same process you did with your friend, unregister the game from your PSN/PS4. They then absorb the fee like your friend did. They then give you whatever their price is for the game.

Hopefully, in all instances the fee is the same and is set by the developer. Lets call this the unlock fee.

So, aside from not installing this sounds a lot like the XBO. Here is the difference. IT WILL BE OPTIONAL FOR DEVELOPERS. If a developer does not want to implement this practice, they do not have to. To me this is ultimately the difference. Sony will give consumers a choice to vote with their wallets and developers the choice to implement the system that is best for them. Don't like the used game practice, don't buy games from publishers that do not implement it. Are you a dev and feel it would be better to have an online pass? Go for it? Are you EA and want to be a dick and implement a used game policy, go ahead.

There are probably a million holes in my scenario but I really do not see any other way this working and being different/better than what the XBO is doing.

Gold_Loot

I'm sure Sony has a system of some type in place in some form. They DO though have the luxory of seeing how things pan out, or (in Sony fasion) leaving it up to developers..

They have been delt a good hand with this situation. Hopefully they play thier c ards right.

And you still didn't put Geoff's actual quote in the op.

I'm not sure why that matters when the source we're all quoting in the thread agrees that this system was still planned in the PS3 until last week.

But if what famousmortimer says is true then it means that Yoshida was lying about Sony never considered an always online function.
Damn. :/

A gaming executive lying! *clutches pearls*

But you won't get ALL the games on PC...that's the rub.

Personally, of stuff I've heard about being "Xbone-exclusive" (either publicly or privately) I have yet to hear of anything I could remotely care about not still getting a PC release. Microsoft's complete lack of giving-a-shit about PC saves the day again!

(Sucks for Halo/Forza fans, though.)

teiresias

xelloss said:
PopcornMegaphone said:
There's already a Bound Round Thread, but given how connected Geoff Keighley is in the industry I thought his Sony DRM for rental games comments deserved it's own thread. At 17:50 during today's Bonus Round he notes his sources are indicating Sony will implement some sort of used game DRM. Given Sony's rather ambiguous comments on the subject, I think we should brace for the worst.

Heh. In the Xbone: Microsoft blames the media for consumer rage. thread

PopcornMegaphone Uh said:
Might want to practice what you preach buddy.

Has the OP even been back in the thread to explain his blatant mischaracterization of Geoff's quote?

sublimit

Banned
anyone who thinks Ubisoft and EA is going to allow the PS4 to be without some sort of DRM like XB1 has is not being realistic. Sony's just trying to figure out how to break it to you all lolol

If Xbone flops because of their policies then i want to see where Ubi and EA will find consumers to sell their games.

Eric C

I can't believe Sony would actually put their DRM on hold because of the Xbone reaction.
That is kind of really fucking amazing.

Everybody better keep up the negative reactions to horrible DRM so Sony doesn't change their mind again and think nobody cares anymore.

unbias

I don't see Microsoft saying, "Hey guys, we got a ton of Youtube thumbs down over the last few weeks and now Sony isn't doing DRM, let's pull the plug on this DRM system we've been working on for months and this retail infrastructure we've already developed and say goodbye to years of potential used game profits so game forums can calm the hell down."

I'm not sure they would have a choice though... MS is a publicly traded company, they only can go so far. I mean, MS may be a horrible company as a whole, but they cant be that stupid, they know that the used market is a 2 billion dollar thing.

I mean, with how MS has been doing with windows phone OS and windows 8, I'm not sure they would survive(this industry) such an event...

I hope famousmortimer is right with his new update.

I'm confident that i'm right as of right now. I can't say with certainty that things won't change again. Which is part of the reason I didn't want to post as well, because I can be right now, something can change, then I'm wrong... GAF ban... sad famousmortimer.

But, I opened my mouth and do stand by everything i've said.

teiresias

yea god forbid there is a bad rumor for Sony on the front page to discuss ...but let's have a thread for every idiotic rumor ever murmured about Xbox One

You mean a thread for every quote a MS executive actually said at the XBone reveal. That's quite a difference you're neglecting to mention.

Top Bottom