• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geoff Keighley talks No Man's Sky, Sean Murray "open" to explain what happened to NMS

These are my feelings on the segment that are cross-posted from the episode launch thread:

The No Man's Sky segment really rubbed me the wrong way but it's hard to put my finger on why. I guess I don't know if this is the right way to distance yourself, throwing others under the bus when you have a hand in issue (regardless of the transparency) and obtaining street cred at the cost of others.

I also think if Sean wants to say something, he should use any of the other avenues available to him and not schedule around someone else's show. Is this an advertisement to tuuuuuune in next time, or an genuine attempt to mend?

The whole thing seemed exploitative and opportunistic. It sounds like everyone else loved it though, so ¯|_(ツ)_/¯
I think its just Geoff speaking on one of the hottest topics in gaming right now and giving his two cents. Nothing more nothing less.

I think if Sean wants to win back people he should humble himself and take something like this as an oppertunity to clear the air the best he can.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
No, it tells you that Keighley values people more than stories.

Consumers are people too :). Maybe help protect them... unless the game is actually not that mega awful and not a criminal scam like some people claim ;).

Seriously, what you said identifies Hello Games as the people involved, not the gamers and thus both Geoff and HG's customers... this is not how journalism should work I'd think.

I think its just Geoff speaking on one of the hottest topics in gaming right now and giving his two cents. Nothing more nothing less.

I think if Sean wants to win back people he should humble himself and take something like this as an oppertunity to clear the air the best he can.
The only reason i'd see it as beneficial to Sean and us is if Geoff is going to make him address things he normally wouldn't. I don't think the show is nearly big enough to get the message out there, though I guess other outlets would report on it.

The only reason i'd see it as beneficial to Sean and us is if Geoff is going to make him address things he normally wouldn't. I don't think the show is nearly big enough to get the message out there, though I guess other outlets would report on it.
For sure. I'd like to think Geoff would ask the questions that matter. Sean is in such a bad position, I think coming out on a live stage like this and facing it head on would do better than just releasing some written statement in a blog post or something. I wouldnt blame Sean if he didnt do this with Geoff though because it would take nerves of steel. I don't think I would have the balls to do it myself.

But if he did, and he didnt give bullshit answers, he would have my respect for at least going on the record this way.

Piers

Super interesting context. If your reading is right it seems unlikely anything eye-opening will come out of this. Just two mates doing damage control, right? We need a bingo card for this interview. Here's a few squares to get us going:

LrRpO6J.jpg

The important questions is really why they showed off features before they were logistically feasible in the final product. It's like tech demos in as much as, yes, cool, it's technically possible provided there isn't an actual fucking game needing to be factored in.

Top Bottom