• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geoff Keighley talks No Man's Sky, Sean Murray "open" to explain what happened to NMS

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I think this deserves its own thread as I haven't seen one yet, only for the show in general.

Geoff Keighley premiered his new show yesterday, LIVE with YouTube Gaming. In the final minutes of the show he discussed No Man's Sky, which got its world premiere on Geoff's other show, VGX 2014.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i1ylWxKJjA&feature=youtu.be&t=1h47m45s

Some interesting revelations here, definitely worth a watch. A few of them:

-Geoff was worried that the big premiere put a huge weight on the team's shoulders, something they could never really escape from.
-Sean Murray didn't want Geoff near the team anymore earlier this year as he thought Geoff was too "negative." Geoff didn't agree with them early on with the decision to price it at $60 and box it for retail, among other things.
-Geoff finds that the game overall was disappointing, in large part because Sean essentially refused to communicate openly to fans. Compares him directly to Peter Molyneux (not quite in the way you'd think).
-Sean is "open" to the idea of appearing on the show later in October to discuss the game, which would be his first appearance (and in fact his first statement since he went silent in August) since the game launched.

Pretty crazy, especially since it seems that Geoff saw the train derailing a bit early on before the game's release. Really great segment that is absolutely worth watching.

Avallon

This image sums up my feelings on this game:

e7FCxjyrwdvpNpMsxuhQuM-650-80.jpg

Glad they're going to finally say something.

Cardon

Always great to see Geoff be honest about stuff, even things he helped feature on his programs in the past.

At this point I'm kinda doubting Sean will actually do the show though. If he thought Geoff was being negative during development I doubt Sean thinks Geoff would go easy on him, within reason of course, on a live show that would probably have a decent amount of viewers. So I think that's just more false promises on the part of Sean.

So yeah, totally expecting NMS to still be in a state of nothingness for the next two months. Damn shame since it could've been something special.

belvedere

Junior Butler
I remember in an interview near release, Sean said something along the lines of the title not being fully realized until after a few content updates. Maybe naively, I hope that this is true. As disappointed as I am with the game I think it does have promise.

I've never had such mixed feelings for a game before in my life. There's moments in NMS that I haven't experienced since SM64, but knowing there's hardly any depth despite that fact makes it that much more disappointing.

FelipeMGM

Keighley knew all along what was in the centre of the universe and he did not warn us of how disappointing that would be

Its all his fault

/s

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
-Geoff was worried that the big premiere put a huge weight on the team's shoulders, something they could never really escape from.
-Sean Murray didn't want Geoff near the team anymore earlier this year as he thought Geoff was too "negative." Geoff didn't agree with them early on with the decision to price it at $60 and box it for retail, among other things.

These are really kind of...weird? I mean, it's pretty easy now for Geoff to stand back and say "I knew something was amiss!" But if he knew for so long, why didn't he say anything years ago? Had many, MANY chances to give his take on NMS...

Ah well.

Also, Sean should stay away from any show or interview for a very, very long time. Just work on the game or something.

Considering how shy and shit Sean is, I can't imagine him doing this live. Its going to take nerves of steel if he does. I had imagined a pre recorded video addressing things. Doing a live interview with Geoff would be an amazing thing to watch.

nynt9

That segment was somehow both savage and sympathetic. Really well done Geoff. I don't know if Sean will ever show his face again though.

Also the Molyneux comparison was unbelievable, so much of the same rhetoric and aura.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Geoff speech was perfect

Yeah, he was pretty respectful but critic.
Maybe is cuz he's boys with Kojima, but i like Geoff.

These are really kind of...weird? I mean, it's pretty easy now for Geoff to stand back and say "I knew something was amiss!" But if he knew for so long, why didn't he say anything years ago? Had many, MANY chances to give his take on NMS...

Ah well.

Also, Sean should stay away from any show or interview for a very, very long time. Just work on the game or something.
Cuz he respect the request by Sean of statyin' away of the team and game.

Doesn't seem like there's much for Sean to "explain." If something sounded cool, he went ahead and promised it to the press, whether or not it was in the cards for the actual game being developed.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

This speaks a LOT about what went wrong with NMS. Surrounding yourself with sycophants and ignoring any reality nipping at your heels is THE go to recipe for disaster in a project. From this tiny factoid, you can see how Sean would have just insulated the project from any and all criticism and never saw the huge deficits in quality and content coming as a result.

Also Keighley continues to be one of the only games journos in the biz worth his salt. Amazing speech.

sora87

I hope Sean does appear, I think it'd be a heated and interesting conversation. Only problem is they probably won't be able to get super in depth on development and behind the scenes things, I imagine Sony would say no no to that.

xRaizen

Geoff probably couldn't say anything due to NDA.

I hope Sean appears though, I'd LOVE to hear his "explanation".

Yeah, the $60 price tag was a mistake. I remember a lot of people saying that it was too high and others saying that it basically had infinite content so it was worth it. I guess the first group was right.
Should've been priced around $30 at most, like the other game in its genre: minecraft.
It's a bit funny that, in retrospect, No Man Sky's reveal was the only good part of VGX and it turned out to just be a lie.

Jawmuncher

Pretty crazy, especially since it seems that Geoff saw the train derailing a bit early on before the game's release. Really great segment that is absolutely worth watching.

Real Talk, I think a lot of people saw it coming. Thus why the huge threads of fans vs realist GAF had.

Regardless will be interesting to hear what Sean has to say. Geoff from that above bit, was if anything trying to help them out.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

He actually primarily uses the comparison to illustrate his appreciation for game designers who dream big but struggle to stick the landing in the pursuit of pushing video games forward. It's not yet another repeat of "Molyneux is a pathological liar", but it does segue into how Hello Games failed to keep its audience abreast of how the vision for No Man's Sky was changing throughout development -- that Hello Games knowingly and deliberately avoided keeping expectations in check.

Kindekuma

Banned
Sean is "open" to the idea of appearing on the show later in October to discuss the game

We maybe have to wait till late October for Murray to address the game? Goddamn. That's unbelieveably pathetic.

J-Skee

Taking about Kojima's absence at the Game Awards was easy because everyone hated Konami by the point, but to be so open about this when he was involved from the very beginning is something to admire. He was honest about how he felt about the game the Murray & essential got pushed out. Everyone wanted this game to be great. It's unfortunate that the team just couldn't be honest about where they were with it.

AlexBasch

-Sean is "open" to the idea of appearing on the show later in October to discuss the game,
Oh. He's "open". That's really kind of him. Give him an applause, he's "open" to discuss the game you guys.

Too many excuses.

All Sean had to do was be 100% honest and to make sure to correct people when they suggested certain elements about the game that weren't true.

The game today is as hollow as it was the day it launched.

When will they "fill it in" with more gameplay options/features?

And Sean needs to start talking directly to people on Twitter about the game, like he did almost every day leading up to release. Hiding in an office won't help or make all the negativity go away.

The fact that he's potentially setting this up for a big interview doesn't help anyone but Geoff Keighly get ratings for his own show.

i've given Geoff crap before on this board but after seeing his interviews in the Bioshock remaster i would definitely be interested in seeing this. seems like the dude really knows his stuff and can dig deep into the particulars of game development. this could be a fascinating and intelligent interview, which is what we need, not someone screaming "liar" over and over.

Curufinwe

How can a journalist be against a developer releasing their game at retail? There was clearly enough demand to justify a disc version.

Top Bottom