• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geoff Keighley talks No Man's Sky, Sean Murray "open" to explain what happened to NMS

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
i've given Geoff crap before on this board but after seeing his interviews in the Bioshock remaster i would definitely be interested in seeing this. seems like the dude really knows his stuff and can dig deep into the particulars of game development. this could be a fascinating and intelligent interview, which is what we need, not someone screaming "liar" over and over.

The Final Hours of Portal 2 is a fantastic read, in no small part because it offers some exceedingly rare insight into the development process of one of the industry's most notoriously secretive companies. There's also The Final Hours of Titanfall, but I've not read it myself.

Edit: Mass Effect, as Taker34 says below, and Tomb Raider 2013, too.

This image sums up my feelings on this game:

e7FCxjyrwdvpNpMsxuhQuM-650-80.jpg

Glad they're going to finally say something.

Tbh I enjoyed Spore a lot more.

Jeffrey

Is this the first time Keighley has ever been critical about something on air?

Like his opinion about stuff is usually positive or he tries to keep his personal thoughts away at times.

Sethista

Geoff is usually a marketing arm for developers usually, which fills that gap in games journalism I suppose, eclusive interviews, all access, so its refreshing to see him actually being critical of something.

I doubt sean would go on his show tho.

Like his opinion about stuff is usually positive or he tries to keep his personal thoughts away at times.

He just rides the ebb and flow of whatever is trending in the industry.

Let's be honest here.

-shadow-

As someone who was sitting at the side-line from the start this will be amazing to see. From the hype, to the deflation to the possible excuses he'll give in such an interview.

Kindekuma

Banned

He's been critical in the past. Having the gall to call out Konami stands out the most to me.

There's also The Final Hours of Titanfall, but I've not read it myself.

It's also excellent and provides some really interesting insights into the early days of Respawn and the problems they went through dealing with the Activision lawsuit and studio management and time spent developing Titanfall and more. It's superb.

Taker34

Banned
The Final Hours of Portal 2 is a fantastic read and an exceedingly rare insight into one of the industry's most secretive developers. There's also The Final Hours of Titanfall, but I've not read it myself.
Final Hours of Mass Effect is quite stunning as well. It immensely helped fans to understand what went wrong with the game, seeing all the handwritten notes and early concepts along with an unbiased view on the events gives you a good idea of what happened during development.

Saty

-Sean is "open" to the idea of appearing on the show later in October to discuss the game, which would be his first appearance (and in fact his first statement since he went silent in August) since the game launched.

How about being 'open' to releasing a statement right now or at any time that has since passed since launch?

I don't think so (although I don't have specific examples of other instances), but he hasn't really been in an "independent journalist" position in a while. When part of your job is producing a big awards show for the VG industry you can't really be a critic at the same time.

I work for a software company (non gaming related). I didn't buy into the hype and promises of NMS due to the fact that 10 people were making something they need a team of at least 100 people for. I work on a team of about 20 software developers and they take months to complete something WAY simpler than creating an Universe of explorable planets. I just know it was kind of impossible what they were promising with the resources they were using. I am not bashing the team or the game but I work close with software developers on a day to day basis and it gives me an idea of what they were going to try to deliver and what reality of software development is.

T.O.P

Banned
-Sean is "open" to the idea of appearing on the show later in October to discuss the game, which would be his first appearance (and in fact his first statement since he went silent in August) since the game launched.

Oh i can't wait for this

El-Suave

He has gotten under Reggie's skin ("it's not the same game") and he made Mattrik look a bit foolish, too ("we have an offline product for you - the 360"). He gets the big interviews and he makes the most of it without being hostile. Keighley is the best interviewer we have because he's a big enough name himself so that he doesn't need to feel too inferior to the executives.

flkraven

It's going to be

"When I said those features would be in the game, I honestly thought they would. They had to be cut to make the release."

So technically not a lie, just overpromise.

He won't even say something like that. It's too pointed and clear. He will be much more ambiguous.

Like "As a developer it's very difficult to explain your vision, especially something as vast and ambitious as No Man's Sky. We were a small team of like 3 guys and we were trying to do things that have never been done before. With the exposure we got on Sony's stage, at the Game awards, and Stephen Colbert, people were getting more and more excited for the prospect of what No Man's Sky could be. I think we delivered the best game we could, but some people may have let their excitement create some unrealistic expectations."

tl/dr: "I'm a lying scumbag, but I'm still not going to admit I lied and instead I'll blame hype culture and the consumer"

AlexBasch

Seriously though, if Sean wants to save face, this is the absolute best way of doing it. I hope he does.
I agree, it just bothers me that it took him so long to address the issue and the whole "he's open" thing. Like he's doing his customers a favour. :|

There is fuck all to explain. They knowingly mislead people right up to release.

If this was a game that was revealed and then pared back significantly because the small studio couldnt cope, then the PR would have reflected that. They just straight up lied to sell more copies. Any other explanation is just PR spin.

HariKari

Murray can't hide forever, despite his best efforts. Glad he's "open" to the idea of explaining himself. We're all so lucky.

Great segment by Keighley. He was part of the initial hype of this game and owns up to that, but doesn't let Hello Games off the hook while still being respectful.

Honestly gaming has been lucky to have Keighley as a frontman.

My respect for Geoff just went tenfold. At this point, Sean has to face the music sooner or later.

The gaming community should be grateful to have Geoff Keighley around.

CHC

Seems really stupid of them to block out Geoff's feedback during development, really. He's a veteran and you have to have some respect, I think he comes from a pretty genuine place with what he says usually.

Price really was the Achilles heel of this game. At $20 or $30 (or Early Access) the reception would have been far less harsh - maybe even good - but it's too late now.

the not wanting him around sean cause geoff was so negative is telling.

guy probably just didnt want to listen to the naysayers

Shikoba

Part of me feels that yes, this would be a good way to save face, at least for Sean and if he has any hopes of making future games.

The other part of me feels that it doesn't matter what he says- people are going to shit all over him anyways. It seems to be "thing" to do right now.

Regardless, I'd like to hear something from NMS side of things regarding what happened.

I wonder if Geoff was hanging around the team during development for possible work on a 'Final Hours of No Man's Sky'. I could see that being shelved if the project really goes off the rails, but I'd still like to hear about it.

Arkeband

Banned
Seems really stupid of them to block out Geoff's feedback during development, really. He's a veteran and you have to have some respect, I think he comes from a pretty genuine place with what he says usually.

Price really was the Achilles heel of this game. At $20 or $30 (or Early Access) the reception would have been far less harsh - maybe even good - but it's too late now.

Needed a deeper metagame and yeah, as an early access/digital game it would have probably been hailed as some incredible indie achievement. Unfortunately now it's just known as a flop and has tarnished the studio's reputation, all for the quick buck of initial sales.

Overpromise, underdeliver.

Demoskinos

This witch hunt for Scumbag Murray is really unfair and just piling on at this point

Yeah, its okay to be let down by what the end product was and even be mad about it. However the manner in which some corners of the internet have expressed this are real fucking scummy.

Geoff needs to find out why every planet has giant clamshells on it.

Or Drop pods, spiky rocks, pointless caves, alien shelters etc

Expect to see a lot of No Answer from Sean. There is really nothing complicate about it. He tried to sell the universe but instead delivered a puddle.

Yeah great speech by Geoff. I do hope Sean comes into the show and explains himself. I'd prefer it live but I am not getting my hopes up.

I do think what Hello games accomplished is good but it needs that creativity that games need to make it special.

Also one thing I noticed, when IGN did an IGN first for No Mans Sky, Ryan was there interviewing Sean and he asked him what was at the center of the universe and Sean said Peter Molyneux as a joke which got some laughs in that theater from Mitch and Ryan. I saw him make the same joke again in an interview with a girl recently. Which backfired so bad because there is literally nothing at the center when you get there and he is now being compared to Peter. Ironic?

Great monologue on the topic. Really pitch perfect with the level of criticism.

Hopefully Sean shows up and takes his lumps. He needs to get it over with.

Top Bottom