• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geoff Keighley talks No Man's Sky, Sean Murray "open" to explain what happened to NMS

StereoVsn

Seems really stupid of them to block out Geoff's feedback during development, really. He's a veteran and you have to have some respect, I think he comes from a pretty genuine place with what he says usually.

Price really was the Achilles heel of this game. At $20 or $30 (or Early Access) the reception would have been far less harsh - maybe even good - but it's too late now.
What do you mean price was Achilles heel for NMS? How would Sean be drinking Margaritas on a beach somewhere otherwise?

What do you mean price was Achilles heel for NMS? How would Sean be drinking Margaritas on a beach somewhere otherwise?

The argument is that people expect less of a $40 game.

In reality, people will just slam the game for not being half that price again, no matter how much work was put into it / how polished it is.

Read his "Final Hours of ....." series. Always excellent. I especially enjoy the Valve ones.

I'll check it out, I see it on his website. It doesn't seem like there any current gen only games for this series but I'm interested in hearing about ME3 from his POV

He was always this good

People just never bothered to look beyond the dorito memes

I think my first exposure to him is with the Angry Joe interview that came off as dismissive. Coupled with the meme I never wanted to look into his background but now I want to hear and read some of his pieces.

It's really sad that it takes Geoff being "negative" to a developer that everyone currently has an issue with for them to see how awesome he is.

He has been one of the best writers/journalists/whatevers in this industry for years. It sucks that so many people associate him with those stupid awards shows and that they don't understand that the entire reason he keeps trying to make those shows better is because the dude legitimately gives a shit.

Demoskinos

He was always this good

People just never bothered to look beyond the dorito memes

Exactly. Geoff has always been great and has a real passion for what he does and you can tell that he actually CARES about the work he puts out beyond it being just a means to an end.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Wow. what a speech! Amazing.

I have always liked Geoff despite the hate he gets on gaf. I also have never seen him be this critical of a developer or publisher. Even his Nintendo criticisms during interviews with Reggie are like soft balls compared to this.

There is no way Sean comes to his show after this.

Demoskinos

Yeahhhh I kinda think so too. :(

That just damages his brand and word even more. The best thing sean can do at this point is just fucking bite the bullet already. Although I guess with this investigation looming they might actually not want to say anything more for legal reasons. So....who knows.

Wow. what a speech! Amazing.

I have always liked Geoff despite the hate he gets on gaf. I also have never seen him be this critical of a developer or publisher. Even his Nintendo criticisms during interviews with Reggie are like soft balls compared to this.

There is no way Sean comes to his show after this.
I doubt he will either.

What about the hate on GAF for Geoff though? Ive only been here for like 3 years but almost every time I see him mentioned its in a positive light except for people jesting about the doritos pope thing. He seems pretty well liked on GAF from my perspective.

inky

Having ceased every form of communication with its audience, especially after it got so bad (complaints, videos, refunds saga, now the Ad Standards thing) only to surface later on to "explain" things in a talk show with probably prepared statements trying to pass them as a "candid" discussion is going to be such an awkward, worst-kind-of- politics move.

It's obvious the dude doesn't believe in openly communicating or we'd have that already. On the other hand, game audiences are so fickle, so maybe we get the equivalent of this:

b3a10abef396f68423bc6a60d2bbf40cb78298afa309f51c76c94130124b681c.jpg

And everyone goes: Awww, when can I start paying you for NMS2 ?

For those interested Geoff Keighley did an amazing interview with Ken Levine on BioShock for the remaster. He's easily the best journalist in gaming right now IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgFWXTZM16pAkNQgB70fgSxZb_Esg5-n-

Not now, he probably always has been. The issue people have (beyond the dumb memes) is that he always also seems more interested in being the videogame industry's spokesperson instead, which is a weird, sometimes conflicting role. But he rides the line well, which is why studios still have no problem giving him access.

Elandyll

Banned
He's going to either blame Keighley or Sony. He's never going to admit he lied.
If the interview does happen (not holding my breath), I could see a maximum amount of blame shifting happening:

Keighley: got them in too early, too much exposure
Flooding: set them back months at big costs
Sony: too much exposure, too much pressure, too fast, only wanting to fund if had an involvement in development/ owning IP or full exclusive
Interviewers: traps having to say yes or no, baits asking for tempting features that were barely "ideas"
Fans: taking "wishes" or "ideas" for "will be in game", and hyping itself way too much

Conclusion: their project was too ambitious, almost too good. Blame is on pressure to release and hype.

StereoVsn

The argument is that people expect less of a $40 game.

In reality, people will just slam the game for not being half that price again, no matter how much work was put into it / how polished it is.
Of course it should have never been $60 game. It should have been $20-$30 EA. However the $60 price point made some big bucks for Sean so I am sure he doesn't see that as a bad thing.

I don't believe they wanted to scam anyone, they wanted to try something and spent loads of time on it and could not delay it more and pressure from consumers and sony pushing it.

Bedlam

I don't believe they wanted to scam anyone, they wanted to try something and spent loads of time on it and could not delay it more and pressure from consumers and sony pushing it.
They deliberately deceived their customers in order to push sales. This is not a case of "good intentions gone wrong".

What I would do if I was in Sean's / Hello Games spot to earn back trust.

Come up with a realistic road map for the next 6 months of updates for the game.

MAKE. IT. PUBLIC.

Tell people what is coming. Make it fucking clear. Dont announce anything that you dont know is for sure in a up coming update.

Then get working.

This interview at this point would just do more harm then good. I think the time and place for hard truths will come in a year. Right now the wound is fresh and people are still blood thirsty so no matter what is said people will be pissed.

Always seemed a bit cheeky of them to charge $60 for the game to me considering the miniscule team working on it. It was like they looked at the immense amount of hype NMS was generating since its reveal and said "look how badly people want it - let's charge full price!"

Always seemed a bit cheeky of them to charge $60 for the game to me considering the miniscule team working on it. It was like they looked at the immense amount of hype NMS was generating since its reveal and said "look how badly people want it - let's charge full price!"

Team size is quite possibly the least legitimate complaint in relation to price. Go back 10, 15 years and pretty much every single game that would be fitting the "AAA" role would have been made by a team of about 20-50, but they still charged "full price"

Price on the quality of the final product, nothing else.

Deadstar

I don't need Sean to say anything. I just want to see updates that make the game better. There's a cool foundation there, build on it.

GhaleonEB

Team size is quite possibly the least legitimate complaint in relation to price. Go back 10, 15 years and pretty much every single game that would be fitting the "AAA" role would have been made by a team of about 20-50, but they still charged "full price"

It's also a standard we seem to only apply to games. I don't ask how many people worked on a movie, or album, or product when I buy it. I just decide if the quality of the product is justified by the price. But with games people set arbitrary thresholds for what they'll pay depending on how many people worked on it (also ignoring how long they worked on it). It makes no sense.

bunkitz

Damn. Geoff didn't hold back. Really appreciate that about him, though. I always see the guy being transparent and whatnot, which is really great for this industry since a lot of times we really don't know what's going on behind the curtains.

Sean Murray, though... I understand that the pressure was really difficult to deal with, but how he didn't want Geoff around because of his "negativity" sounded more like his inability to take criticisms, if you ask me.

That's because the definition of a AAA title changes over time. What you'd expect to be $15 dollar digital-centric game now would've been the industry-standard $60 game 25 years ago.

If price was based purely on quality, then Inside would $60. I'm sure there would be no controversy at all over being asked to pay that much for a 2-3 hour game made by a handful of people.

Edit - How do you even price something based on quality anyway? That's an entirely subjective value.

Alebrije

Not interested in hearing more lies from Murray.

This. Why give a lier more space to say more lies.

There a tons of better topics to talk about videogames than bring this guy again on a show.

Nothing he could say will return 60 dollars to people or make the game what he promised or even justify his radio silent mode.

Is Live with YouTube Gaming a continuous thing for him now? And what is it exactly?

A weekly show he'll be hosting. From what we saw so far it seems like we can expect a pretty well produced hour or so of game demos, dev interviews, some variety bits, some talking segments w/ various gaming celebs or youtubers, and Kyle Bosman.

Kacho

Geoff is the man. So happy he's back with a show. If that interview with Sean Murray ends up happening it'll be must watch.

Top Bottom