• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geoff Keighley talks No Man's Sky, Sean Murray "open" to explain what happened to NMS

Head.spawn

If Sean was at odds with Geoff on those things (price, being open about the reality of the game, overselling it, embellishing etc etc) and that note on their website "addressing" this was any indication; we should get the good popcorn ready. Cinema butter. I'd like to see the hard questions be asked first before asking the harder ones.

If it's some fluffy BS response like their personal heartfelt note to reviewers (lol), i hope Geoff calls him out on it.

It's really cool to see Geoff Keighley become the respected journalist he is today. I remember seeing him on the electric playground as a host and reviewer like 10 years ago to then going on to do GTTV, doing the weekly Bonus Rounds on the site, the game awards and now this. He's really made the whole trip around and I can't wait to see more of what he has to share especially in the industry.

Trogdor1123

Geoff is one of the best in the industry. Puts his money where his mouth is and is willing to take his lumps as well. We need more Geoff's.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Once again, please do more research. At this point you've ignored the fact that the marketing materials and Sean's own words prior and after release don't match up with the product, and somehow are absolving him of not being honest to the consumers. That's how things don't change, and poor little indie studio excuse doesn't cut it. If other developers can be honest, big or small, and come clean when they've fucked up, HG can do the same. As it stands, they have not, and no amount of BUT YOU SHOULD HAVE WAITED justifies the hoops consumers have to go through to find out if a game has a touted feature or not.

When you buy a game day 1 vs waiting for critic reviews and community feedback, you're explicitly endorsing bullshit, pre-release marketing. It's pretty disingenuous to keep acting like you have to be some sort of video game scientist to track down reviews and impressions. That's ridiculous. Plus, anybody who is so ignorant as to how to find a review of a video game, is probably not in the group of people who even knew about any of the stuff that didn't make the game. They just knew it was a space fly-aroundy game that was getting mega hype. Their disappointment wasn't about "hey, Sean Murray told me I could land on asteroids!" it was "hey, this game is fucking boring".

I'm not interested in doing more research to get to the bottom of Sean "Literally Hillary Clinton" Murray's lies. Marketing is inherently bullshit and things don't change because it works. I'm not trying to endorse dishonest marketing. I'm also not going to endorse/feel sympathy for the people who fall for it so easily, to the point where they feel that having to wait a few hours longer than the next guy to figure out whether or not a product is worth your time and money is too great of an injustice to bear. Those people are why bullshit video game marketing doesn't change.

I'd say many people did see it coming. The biggest and still most solid argument is where they came from. I mean from a game like Joe Danger comes TO THE BIGGEST AND BEST GAME EVER, it just didn't seem likely.

Might sound mean but expecting a small indie studio to be making an amazing Triple A game is just silly.

Yep. Yep. I know it sounds like I'm ranting in defense of Sean with my posts here (admittedly, I kind of am but mostly to play Devils advocate to the overblown outrage) but, really, I think there are three entities that share responsibility for the undeserved hype and subsequent fallout.

Sean - wrote a bunch of checks he can't cash. Was it maliciously misleading or did he want to put EVERYTHING in his game and, in the end, just couldn't get it done? He shouldn't, and won't, be absolved completely. Unless they patch this up or something, he'll always be that guy who lied to us about No Man's Sky.

Sony - First party software production has had too many lapses this gen and they wanted an exclusive that could sell systems so... they go out and pay for a pretty much unknown, small indie team's space/survival game which, to a lot of observers was straight ambiguous in terms of "what is this really" from the get-go. A lot of people had the good judgement to question whether a team such as HG could pull this off. A lot of people looked at all the media released in the lead up to launch and, pretty much correctly, called how empty and pointless it was. Either Sony was facilitating/encouraging the lies to protect their investment, or they were so disconnected from the production that they had as little idea of what to expect as we did. Tasking this team with creating a AAA priced/featured game that they're going to throw on stage at the biggest conferences, support with massive marketing and pimp as a big time console exclusive was at best a huge error in judgement and, at worst, deliberately misleading in an attempt to pad their exclusive lineup.

Consumers - I can't think of many mass-consumed products that have as many avenues/communities that are great for criticism than gaming. Massive forums, gaming permeates reddit (when that game came out, the front page was littered with 'boohoo NMS sucks'), all sorts of publications do reviews, etc. If you've got a problem with dishonest pre-release marketing and you're also willing to buy a hugely ambitious game from a tiny, previously unknown developer without waiting to find out what critics and other gamers think of the final product, you're a huge part of the problem. Does it excuse dishonest marketing? No, but it sure as hell enables it. Frankly, if you want to put Murray in front of a firing squad or have this follow him around his whole career because you're mad that your dumb, uninformed purchase was a waste of $60, I'm gonna give you about as much sympathy as someone who wiped their ass with $60.

aeolist

Banned
The people who presented the "what do you do" question disingenuously aren't any more "right" for doing so just because there are a bunch of features talked about pre-release that didn't make it to the final cut. That doesn't make any sense.

Anyone who thought the game was not going to deliver, or that the devs were overpromising are right, but the what do you do question isn't even "right" to present in such a manner now. The answer to that question is similar now in a lot of ways than it was before launch, just missing a lot of depth/details previously stated, and executed in a lower quality fashion than many people would have liked.

the "what do you do" question taken in context was never literally anyone asking what you do in the game, they showed a good chunk of that in the very first trailer for the game

it was always pretty obviously "what they've shown looks pretty thin and boring but this is supposed to be an infinite game that you can play forever without losing interest so where's the rest?"

and the people asking it were absolutely vindicated

Geoff was, perhaps, kinder than Hello Games deserves for the blatant misdirection. I respect him for it, though; he's a far better speaker than I could be!

I don't really expect Murray to show up for that "discussion," though.

Doop

No Man's Sky made me feel like the biggest idiot. I can't believe I ever defended it. At least I got a refund.

I hope Sean talks about what actually went down. I doubt it'll happen, but I'd like some closure.

When you buy a game day 1 vs waiting for critic reviews and community feedback, you're explicitly endorsing bullshit, pre-release marketing. It's pretty disingenuous to keep acting like you have to be some sort of video game scientist to track down reviews and impressions. That's ridiculous. Plus, anybody who is so ignorant as to how to find a review of a video game, is probably not in the group of people who even knew about any of the stuff that didn't make the game. They just knew it was a space fly-aroundy game that was getting mega hype. Their disappointment wasn't about "hey, Sean Murray told me I could land on asteroids!" it was "hey, this game is fucking boring".

I'm not interested in doing more research to get to the bottom of Sean "Literally Hillary Clinton" Murray's lies. Marketing is inherently bullshit and things don't change because it works. I'm not trying to endorse dishonest marketing. I'm also not going to endorse/feel sympathy for the people who fall for it so easily, to the point where they feel that having to wait a few hours longer than the next guy to figure out whether or not a product is worth your time and money is too great of an injustice to bear. Those people are why bullshit video game marketing doesn't change.

I think it should be pointed out that in some countries (like the UK) there are stricter rules on how far you can bend the truth in advertisement.

At the very least, the Steam trailer is going to come down.

If Sean was at odds with Geoff on those things (price, being open about the reality of the game, overselling it, embellishing etc etc) and that note on their website "addressing" this was any indication; we should get the good popcorn ready. Cinema butter. I'd like to see the hard questions be asked first before asking the harder ones.

If it's some fluffy BS response like their personal heartfelt note to reviewers (lol), i hope Geoff calls him out on it.

The difference between Geoff and most of the people in these NMS threads who are now rubbing their hands together gleefully is that Geoff knows that Sean didn't do anything he did out of malice or an attempt to rip people off. It's obvious, especially after Geoff's comments, that Sean had tunnel vision about his game and somehow naively thought Hello could get it all finished in time. Unfortunately that tunnel had a train in it, whether that train was a Sony deadline or an empty bank account, and Sean ended up having to release what is effectively an Early Access title. His misleading statements and lack of communication post-launch were moments of human failing, but I personally don't think he tried to hoodwink people. I think he still believed that the key experience of exploration in the game was sound (and this seems to be born out in that this experience is what most people who like the game find interesting), and tried to wave away the problems by reiterating the Minecraft-ish free updates. I think he was looking into the abyss and freaked out a bit that he couldn't get everything done in time.

I think the story of NMS will be one of inexperience (leading a big project) mixed with true passion for an idea, leading to naive optimism and bad decisions. I also think, as Geoff hinted, that the troubles with NMS started at that VGX reveal, because they had succeeded in building something based on a kernel of an idea, but probably lacked real understanding of how the mechanics of the game were going to be built on top of this idea. I also think that Sean was so resistant to big teams based on his experiences at AAA studios that he put the project in jeopardy by keeping the team too lean to accomplish the huge amount of work such an open-ended game required.

I know there's plenty of people at GAF and elsewhere that paint Sean as a predatory villain. But I think that's reductionist and knee-jerk. This is a team that worked for three years, seven days a week, trying to make this big dream happen. Sean sold his house to fund the studio. He was naive about the scope of what he wanted to build, inexperienced in project management and public relations, and then lied when the project fell short and the wide, lidless eye of the internet fell upon him. I hope that he goes on Keighley's show and gives an honest description of what happened and apologizes for how he handled the release. But I don't for a moment think that he intentionally tried to bilk people out of their money. And I do think Hello is still committed to improving the game.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
ASA to look at it?

Are we all going to get our money back if the ASA deemed it was false advertising?!

theDeeDubs

I'm surprised so many bought into all the hype. I thought most of us here knew it was all snake oil and probably the biggest disappointment of the year it would release. I don't feel like it was done out of malice though. I think Sean was just super passionate about his ideas and buckled under the weight of what Sony, the press, and fans were making the game out to be.

Not sure how I feel about Geoff's monologue though. Felt kind of narcissistic to me.

Card Boy

Banned
Man i wish i could publicly speak half as good as Geoff. He is really impressive. The snippets i have seen from the show seem really good.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I think it should be pointed out that in some countries (like the UK) there are stricter rules on how far you can bend the truth in advertisement.

At the very least, the Steam trailer is going to come down.

Good legislation, imo. I don't mean to imply that misleading advertisement is good in any way. I just feel like we directly enable it through our purchasing habits. That's why I have a hard time with anyone who is acting like a victim of a heinous crime because they threw $60 at a product that disappointed them when they could've waited a day (the absolute most they'd have to wait) to find out exactly how disappointing it was.

Cocaloch

The difference between Geoff and most of the people in these NMS threads who are now rubbing their hands together gleefully is that Geoff knows that Sean didn't do anything he did out of malice or an attempt to rip people off. It's obvious, especially after Geoff's comments, that Sean had tunnel vision about his game and somehow naively thought Hello could get it all finished in time. Unfortunately that tunnel had a train in it, whether that train was a Sony deadline or an empty bank account, and Sean ended up having to release what is effectively an Early Access title. His misleading statements and lack of communication post-launch were moments of human failing, but I personally don't think he tried to hoodwink people. I think he still believed that the key experience of exploration in the game was sound (and this seems to be born out in that this experience is what most people who like the game find interesting), and tried to wave away the problems by reiterating the Minecraft-ish free updates. I think he was looking into the abyss and freaked out a bit that he couldn't get everything done in time.

I think the story of NMS will be one of inexperience (leading a big project) mixed with true passion for an idea, leading to naive optimism and bad decisions. I also think, as Geoff hinted, that the troubles with NMS started at that VGX reveal, because they had succeeded in building something based on a kernel of an idea, but probably lacked real understanding of how the mechanics of the game were going to be built on top of this idea. I also think that Sean was so resistant to big teams based on his experiences at AAA studios that he put the project in jeopardy by keeping the team too lean to accomplish the huge amount of work such an open-ended game required.

I know there's plenty of people at GAF and elsewhere that paint Sean as a predatory villain. But I think that's reductionist and knee-jerk. This is a team that worked for three years, seven days a week, trying to make this big dream happen. Sean sold his house to fund the studio. He was naive about the scope of what he wanted to build, inexperienced in project management and public relations, and then lied when the project fell short and the wide, lidless eye of the internet fell upon him. I hope that he goes on Keighley's show and gives an honest description of what happened and apologizes for how he handled the release. But I don't for a moment think that he intentionally tried to bilk people out of their money. And I do think Hello is still committed to improving the game.

Why are you so sure he didn't do anything to rip people off exactly? I'm not saying that's what happened because I simply don't know, but it's certainly on the table.

You aren't interested in arguing those points I brought up because it brings your hilarious lack of knowledge about the situation to the surface. Good to know you weren't actually interested in a conversation since you so chose to cherry pick.

We are done.

Full AAA price was the main flaw of this game, honestly. The cheaper it could have been would have proportionately mitigated the disappointment. A $20 indie game hiding behind a $60 price tag is a recipe for disaster.

RoyalFool

Banned
I really wonder how Murray thought $60 was a good idea

You don't accidently price a game at $60, he planned to ride the hype and pull out every excuse in the book to either delay or discredit the pre-release reviews to cash in on his one big moment.

The studio will release a few patches then shutdown.

As trump would say, that makes him smart. He's really proud of that, he has property there.

Cyborg

Sean is the biggest a-hole in gaming history! Delivering a product that is so bad (lied to us all) and then he has the balls to go off the rader and say nothing, absolutly nothing. No statement what so ever!

Doing so he disrespects all the gamers who bought his game!!!

The man in a joke!

JustenP88

You aren't interested in arguing those points I brought up because it brings your hilarious lack of knowledge about the situation to the surface. Good to know you weren't actually interested in a conversation since you so chose to cherry pick.

We are done.

Nah, I'm not interested because you and others like you are trying to completely deny their agency in this transaction. Dishonest marketing is a problem. Ignorant, impatient consumers who want to buy shit, sight unseen, then cry and cry and riot and moan about how they were ripped off are also a problem.

The people trying to sell you a product that is shit told you before you bought it that it wasn't shit. Welcome to pretty much every instance of marketing and advertising in the history of commerce. Take this lesson and learn from it, my man.

Usually, when people do something stupid, they feel a certain amount of shame. Buying a purported AAA game with a concept so ambitious we could hardly wrap our heads around not only what it was, but how the hell it could even be made, from an insanely understaffed indie team with 0 track record is a risky proposition. Buying that game before waiting the miniscule amount of extra time it would take to see how consumers as a whole feel about the product is careless to the point of stupidity. Stop trying to ruin a dude's career because you feel that he stole $60 from you (he didn't, you gave it to him).

If you want shit to change, let that shame you should be feeling set in and stop pre-ordering/buying games day one. More and more publishers are putting out embargoes and bullshots have become so common that I'm sure that word will be in the dictionary soon. If you haven't figured out by now that you shouldn't implicitly trust pre-release hype, then you should focus your energy away from the swindlers and work on self-improvement because you're the reason the swindlers swindle.

We're not done come back I'm bored I need you

Hello Games is pretty much toxic now, which is a shame, but it's not because of a "bad game", that can happen to anyone, but misleading people and going into radio silence once the thing released. It's just disrespectful to the people who defended it and bought it.

Cyborg

Hello Games is pretty much toxic now, which is a shame, but it's not because of a "bad game", that can happen to anyone, but misleading people and going into radio silence once the thibg released. It's just disrespectful to the people who defended it and bought it.

Amen to that!!

Nah, I'm not interested because you and others like you are trying to completely deny their agency in this transaction. Dishonest marketing is a problem. Ignorant, impatient consumers who want to buy shit, sight unseen, then cry and cry and riot and moan about how they were ripped off are also a problem.

The people trying to sell you a product that is shit told you before you bought it that it wasn't shit. Welcome to pretty much every instance of marketing and advertising in the history of commerce. Take this lesson and learn from it, my man.

Never said the consumer blindly buying things isn't an issue. If you took the time to read my posts and what part of this particular issue I'm discussing, you'd suss that one out.

Oh, by the way, there's no reason to pretend like false marketing is okay and simply a part of life . Many companies get dinged for that in lawsuits and at the least have companies that request the removal of false marketing materials. Just because it is video games doesn't make it exempt.

Edit: Oh you made an edit. Since you are being childish you can converse with others then. Thanks!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Geoff didn't agree with them early on with the decision to price it at $60 and box it for retail, among other things.

In the end, Geoff was right. What does that say, Sean? Maybe listen to someone that sounds like a potential consumer next time?

people were gonna complain either way. that's what gamers do, they complain.

so they could have either made the sales they did and had people complain, or they could have made HALF that and still had people complain.

seems like they made the correct choice.

RMI

Banned
I don't know about comparing Molyneux and Murray. Molyneux made some good games.

How can a journalist be against a developer releasing their game at retail? There was clearly enough demand to justify a disc version.
Demand based on bullshit though.

It's so shitty to tell a dev to lower the price on their game, but this is one of the few instances where it really needed to happen.

Like, what does the scale of the backlash look like if this is a $20 game? $20 is a pretty solid price for one of the prettier procedurally-generated chillout games out there.

I like the idea of an EA simply because the feedback to changing this game would have been so key in changing a lot of problems people had with the game. It also lets them off the hook for developing, or rather not developing, promised features. MP isn't in this release - but it will be in one of the updates down the line.

RoyalFool

Banned
It's so shitty to tell a dev to lower the price on their game, but this is one of the few instances where it really needed to happen.

Like, what does the scale of the backlash look like if this is a $20 game? $20 is a pretty solid price for one of the prettier procedurally-generated chillout games out there.

Well, it's sold 4 million copies at full price. So..

$40 * 4,000,000 = 160 million.
Publishers, marketing and taxes probably cover 60% of that.

So his decision netted him around $64 million before his own taxes. Would you put up with the rage of the internet for a few months for $64m ?

An interview that could make or break not just Sean's integrity but Geoff's too? Expect hard questions. Geoff has my respect and I see no reason he won't always have it.

blakep267

people were gonna complain either way. that's what gamers do, they complain.

so they could have either made the sales they did and had people complain, or they could have made HALF that and still had people complain.

seems like they made the correct choice.
While true it severely damages if not destroys the no mans sky brand and leaves a big asterisk on your head for the next time you release a game and try to get people to buy in.

People are out for blood. I don't think he can 'win' by appearing on the show, but I am curious as to what happened too despite feeling that NMS is still a great game.

elohel

I'd like anyone on gaf to put themselves into the shoes of a multi million dollar project that has no ability to backtrack

My go to for this whole project was the videos and I feel absolutely nothing about this "situation"

I knew developers wouldn't be able to, especially given the size of their team, make the game into their words

That said, this isn't punishment and people don't deserve to be taken advantage of and that's not what I'm getting at

I'm also certain that any and all investigations into this "situation" are gonna end up going in circles until someone posts the age old court case of someone suing over an ad and the precedent being set that you cannot do so

I'm gonna call it, there's gonna be some flaccid ass questions thrown at Shawn if he responds and he probably won't ever directly address the internet as everyone is pissed and everyone's level of pissed varies and is hard to speak to and would in turn make more people mad

could be wrong but if there's one thing this company is aware of its perception of decisions and they're not gonna make one till they know they won't start a riot which is tough

best case scenario the team finds the ability to turn aspects of the game around

But it feels like the internet really truly does not want the right wronged they just want their money back and have difficulty reconciling what can be done and where we are at

this goes for any thread related to this game

Why are you so sure he didn't do anything to rip people off exactly? I'm not saying that's what happened because I simply don't know, but it's certainly on the table.

I suppose because I've been there, and I've seen others be there, where you have this big idea that you're really passionate about, but either through inexperience or through external factors you fall short and disappoint others.

I guess I probably also choose to give Sean the benefit of the doubt (for now) instead of automatically assuming the worst about someone. He certainly handled the release badly and he acted poorly, but I think that speaks more to some character flaw of his mixed with a lack of PR skills that he panicked under the weight of trying to live up to promises he realized he couldn't keep.

I don't have a problem with people being disappointed, or upset at being lied to. I mean I certainly have those feelings about it from time to time. I don't ascribe his pre-release interviews to some nefarious plan to mislead buyers; I think he was just excited and a bit delusional about what the team could pull off in a 1.0 release. But I do understand the impulse to see it as a string of lies. However much of the outrage generated around the game has felt toxic and personal in the same way that the GamersGate lynch mobs felt, and it makes me very uncomfortable.

I mean I'm pretty sure he's respected alot now.

Sort of.

You can see plenty of posters in here who have simply never known what the dude is about though. The guy wants to try to help make games as mainstream as movies and tv shows, but unfortunately that leads to him being seen as some commercial shill a lot of the time because he has to be the face of a lot of questionable content.

CHC

Geoff really gets the tone right here, as well as the timing (late, not right after the release). Unlike so many others, it doesn't feel like he's coming from an emotional or overreactive place, nor does it feel like he has any special malice towards the game or Hello Games. But by the same token, he's not particularly forgiving or sympathetic.

I would definitely be interested in a review with Murray, not because I feel like I'm owed anything or because I want more drama, more just as a post mortem of what went right, what went wrong, and what they learned.

AHK_Hero

Is this the first time Keighley has ever been critical about something on air?

Like his opinion about stuff is usually positive or he tries to keep his personal thoughts away at times.

I can't recall the last time I saw him be so critical of a game and its creators (other than his intense battles with Reggie Fils-Aime). It was quite refreshing. He articulated the situation well, and the Peter Molynuex clip is an apt comparison to the almost child like promises that came from Sean during his interviews, yet somehow Geoff managed to stay empathetic throughout.

I doubt Sean will actually do it, but I'd be terribly curious to see Geoff's post mortem interview with him if it ever comes to pass.

Seriously what was he thinking. Like Geoff said, this game should have been released as early access and been iterated on over time.

the "what do you do" question taken in context was never literally anyone asking what you do in the game, they showed a good chunk of that in the very first trailer for the game

it was always pretty obviously "what they've shown looks pretty thin and boring but this is supposed to be an infinite game that you can play forever without losing interest so where's the rest?"

and the people asking it were absolutely vindicated

I'm aware of the bolded. Many people who asked the question disingenuously like that aren't any more justified in asking the question for being inflammatory. It's completely fine if someone thinks the game looked boring, but then just say that. Derailing things by saying "what do you do" instead of being up front with the intentions of the post only served to be counterproductive to discussion.

Sean over promised, and it nothing more than irrational to use the fact that the game ended up missing a ton of features as a reason to retroactively justify the disingenuous presentation of the "what do you do question". The question had a concrete answer before launch, and even now. If they thought it was uninteresting then they should have just said so and that would be a perfectly valid thing to say. As opposed to being inflammatory by saying "what do you dooo" which muddied up the message , and made things harder for people who were actually asking the question genuinely.

Big Nikus

Geoff deserves more respect than he actually gets.

He's pretty well respected now I think. He does a really good job and put on good shows. He's a fine journalist. And he's got a good sense of humour.
I mean, I already liked him but he totally won me over with what stands as the absolute best tweet of 2016:

catseqbvf.png

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Sean needs to be careful here. Sounds like the feud between him and Geoff is getting under his skin. He can come out and drop blame on whoever he wants, but at the end of the day his game didn't deliver what he claimed it would.

Well, it's sold 4 million copies at full price. So..

$40 * 4,000,000 = 160 million.
Publishers, marketing and taxes probably cover 60% of that.

So his decision netted him around $64 million before his own taxes. Would you put up with the rage of the internet for a few months for $64m ?
Nope.

I enjoy making games and my integrity. I'd like to keep that going.

Top Bottom