• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Georgia and Russia at war

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicodimas

Banned
However sad this may be...

This is a fight America doesn't get involved in..Withdraw the troops from there and condemn this action through the UN.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Putin, cool down man!

putin_cold_warrior.png

dionysus

Yaldog
Kildace said:
Only when the only thing you want is to not actually do anything besides sending strongly-worded letters.

The UN even waters down the words of condemnation on the Darfur genocide.

Kildace

Tamanon said:
Fuck, McCain's camp is already calling for US intervention against Russia.

Neeever gonna happen outside of a direct attack on US interests in Georgia by the Russians, and Putin is not that stupid.
The US will not open a third front unless they're absolutely forced to.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
Tamanon said:
Fuck, McCain's camp is already calling for US intervention against Russia.
Where did you read that? On MSNBC, they've said that he called for a special session of the UN Security Council.

soul

This really could become a war due to pressure from IL and USA. You should all remember that because Russia arms Iran and Syria, Israel and the U.S. are sending advanced weapons to Russia's enemies, and they will probbaly want to see how their weapons fare against the weapons Syria/Iran now have.

Tamanon

Banned
Laguna X said:
Where did you read that? On MSNBC, they've said that he called for a special session of the UN Security Council.

The ticker said that, but Holbrooke was saying that he was calling for the US to stand against Russia's aggression. Might've just been bad phrasing, hopefully.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know enough about this conflict or the people involved to say anything about the nature of the conflict... but it certainly goes to show that during the Olympics, traditionally looked at as a moment of peace, you START a war.

Condemn the U.S. for continuing to fight during this time... but STARTING a war? That's just fucking bold.

Stay awesome Russia. Stay awesome.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
El_TigroX said:
I don't know enough about this conflict or the people involved to say anything about the nature of the conflict... but it certainly goes to show that during the Olympics, traditionally looked at as a moment of peace, you START a war.

Condemn the U.S. for continuing to fight during this time... but STARTING a war? That's just fucking bold.

rofl, so funny cuz it's true.

but look at it this way. It makes the games suspenseful. The olympics is MAD boring until two war going countries battle. and i'll tell ya. When the time comes. we are going to out kayak the shit out of those ruski basturds. U S A U S A U S A.

El_TigroX said:

To be fair, Russia wasn't the one that went on the offensive first.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
v1cious said:
ok am i the only one that saw this headline this morning, and thought we were being attacked?:lol

Don't worry. The Falcons, the Hawks and the peach crops are safe.

Kildace

Kung Fu Jedi said:
To be fair, Russia wasn't the one that went on the offensive first.

QFT
Ossetians broke a cease fire and Georgia sent tanks and mortars to a capital and killed civilians (including some russian nationals, obviously) indiscriminately. Russia did pounce but Georgians (incl. Ossetians) are hardly saints.

dionysus

Yaldog
Cheebs said:
To be fair to Bush he is going to leave the white house willingly, Putin didn't give up his power. Big difference.

To be fair Bush doesn't assassinate critical journalists. Christ the anti-Bush hyperbole on this forum is ridiculous.

Edit. Not targeting you Cheebs, I was continuing your line of thinking.

Vieo

They're not drafting me, damn it. If they try it, I'm gonna try to run for the Canadian boarder.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Like I said, I don't know the nature of the conflict, so I won't do Modern American Jackass and pretend to know about the complex nature of people half way around the world... but from the coverage I've seen it just sounds like Russia is escalating beyond the initial (admittedly awful) actions.

No one's excused.

Vieo said:
They're not drafting me, damn it. If they try it, I'm gonna try to run for the Canadian boarder.

Don't be a coward. If a draft does happen for a conflict that is unjust (And it won't be this one)... I will not fight, but I will not run and hide either. Send me to jail where I can appeal the charges.

Do what these guys did: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_No_Sir

Affinity

God damn that whole situation hit the fan in no time. I fear things will get worse... The Olympics are starting and these countries are starting a war.

NH Apache

Banned
El_TigroX said:
Like I said, I don't know the nature of the conflict, so I won't do Modern American Jackass and pretend to know about the complex nature of people half way around the world... but from the coverage I've seen it just sounds like Russia is escalating beyond the initial (admittedly awful) actions.

No one's excused.

Don't be a coward. If a draft does happen for a conflict that is unjust (And it won't be this one)... I will not fight, but I will not run and hide either. Send me to jail where I can appeal the charges.

Also, see Muhammad Ali

Gaborn

El_TigroX said:

No one's excused.

A better option might be this although I'm pretty much undraftable given my sexuality, even putting aside my KFS and other issues

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Gaborn said:
A better option might be this although I'm pretty much undraftable given my sexuality, even putting aside my KFS and other issues

Sadly, to be classified as a conscientious objector is a very difficult undertaking. When the laws were changed post-9-11 to raise the age of service people, the laws on conscientious objector status were also tightened. You must show SPECIFIC evidence that you are an objector on religious or moral grounds. If you haven't documented a long history of this sort of thing... you can pretty much count your defense blown.

Best bet? To have been a Quaker since birth.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Over 90% of population of South Ossetia consider themselves Russian - they even declared some kind of independent state right after Georgian independance. Same scenario is possbile with another region in Georgia - Abkhazia (also pro-Russian).

Walshicus

DrM said:
Over 90% of population of South Ossetia consider themselves Russian - they even declared some kind of independent state right after Georgian independance. Same scenario is possbile with another region in Georgia - Abkhazia (also pro-Russian).
Yeah, and those Abkhazians are sending soldiers to fight in Ossetia.

Russia should accept a straight swap - they get a unified Ossetian republic and in return they give away the only Buddhist country in Europe, Kalmikya.

Rur0ni

Sir Fragula said:
Yeah, and those Abkhazians are sending soldiers to fight in Ossetia.

Russia should accept a straight swap - they get a unified Ossetian republic and in return they give away the only Buddhist country in Europe, Kalmikya.
Russia... gives?

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
DZHAVA, Georgia (AP) — Georgia's Foreign Ministry says that Russian aircraft have bombed Georgian military air bases, inflicting some casualties.

The ministry says that a Russian raid Friday on the Marneuli air base destroyed several Georgian military aircraft and inflicted unspecified casualties. It said that the Russian aircraft also bombed another base in Bolnisi.

Rustavi 2 television said that four people were killed and five others wounded at the Marneuli air base in Georgia.

The Foreign Ministry said the bombing was another evidence of Russian aggression against Georgia and asked the global community to help end it.

just got home from a mates watching the opening ceremony, this is, rather interesting.

Swifty

This is sounding a lot like the premise of the very first Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Clancy's_Ghost_Recon_(video_game)#Plot_summary

Ghost Recon begins in 2008, with civil unrest in Russia. Ultra-nationalists have seized power in Moscow, with plans to rebuild the Iron Curtain. Their first step is clandestine support of rebel factions in Georgia and the Baltic States. This is where the Ghosts come in: to silence the rebellion. Armed with some of the most advanced weaponry in the world, the soldiers of the Ghost Recon force are covertly inserted into Eastern Europe and given specific missions to curtail the rebel actions and overthrow their benefactors.

KRS7

How will the EU respond to these events? This is a big test of the EU's ability to respond to crisis in their backyard. I fear the EU may be paralyzed due to Russia's control of a large part of Europe's gas supply.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
KRS7 said:
How will the EU respond to these events? This is a big test of the EU's ability to respond to crisis in their backyard. I fear the EU may be paralyzed due to Russia's control of a large part of Europe's gas supply.
Given that apparently Georgia fired up the whole situation (although you'd never know with Putin in charge), I'd say we should stay at home and try to end this conflict in a peaceful manner.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Putin is stating the Georgia was amassing troops on their border for an exercise, but Russia took it as a sign of aggression? I wonder Georgia was even planning to do.

Tamanon

Banned
Yeah, I don't think anyone's going to be jumping in on this. From most of what I've seen, this is something that Georgia has really started. Of course, there's not too much facts out there yet, because there's a missing white girl.

Rur0ni

Tamanon said:
Yeah, I don't think anyone's going to be jumping in on this. From most of what I've seen, this is something that Georgia has really started. Of course, there's not too much facts out there yet, because there's a missing white girl.
:lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom