• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Georgia and Russia at war

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tamanon said:
Yeah, I don't think anyone's going to be jumping in on this. From most of what I've seen, this is something that Georgia has really started. Of course, there's not too much facts out there yet, because there's a missing white girl.

If Georgia actually did start it then they deserve any pounding they get, it would be retarded for them to attack Russia. That's like Panama trying to attack the US

funkmastergeneral said:
If Georgia actually did start it then they deserve any pounding they get, it would be retarded for them to attack Russia. That's like Panama trying to attack the US

In their mind they weren't attacking Russia. They were attacking Ossetia, and probably underestimated Russia's response. A classic "Oh shit!" moment for the government there most likely. Now they want the U.S. to help them out of their little jam.

KRS7

funkmastergeneral said:

Russia has been violating Georgian sovereignty in the region for a while now. Remember while the region in question is considered separatist region, it still falls within the internationally recognized borders of Georgia. It is Russia who is invading Georgian territory. I have not heard of Georgian troops crossing into Russia, and indeed it would be retarded.

laserbeam

Banned
BlueTsunami said:
Putin is stating the Georgia was amassing troops on their border for an exercise, but Russia took it as a sign of aggression? I wonder Georgia was even planning to do.

Funny enough CNN is reporting the opposite that Russia has been massing troops at the border for some time. Putin is as trustworthy as Bush is. I would put as much trust in Putin claiming Georgia is doing ethnic clensing as I would Bush claiming WMDs.

KRS7 said:
Russia has been violating Georgian sovereignty in the region for a while now. Remember while the region in question is considered separatist region, it still falls within the internationally recognized borders of Georgia. It is Russia who is invading Georgian territory. I have not heard of Georgian troops crossing into Russia, and indeed it would be retarded.

Well that makes a lot more sense and if that's the case then Georgia deserves international help and Putin can go eat a bag of dicks

Rur0ni

Russian peacekeepers were stationed in South Ossetia. Their barracks were shelled with artillery, including the bombing of the population, etc. Russia moves 150+ armored vehicles into the country at that point. 90% of the citizens of South Ossetia have Russian passports, giving them a technical Russian citizenship.

Strategically it's in Russia's interest to disrupt Georgia and NATO efforts. Georgia was apparently next on the list to join up. So if NATO did recruit Georgia, NATO is technically at war with Russia.

An ugly mess really. Though considering the firepower Russia has (although Georgia reported shot down 4 Russian planes) I expect them to put the Georgian's on their knees. Maybe. Guess we'll see very soon how far this will escalate.

laserbeam

Banned
Rur0ni said:
Russian peacekeepers were stationed in South Ossetia. Their barracks were shelled with artillery, including the bombing of the population, etc. Russia moves 150+ armored vehicles into the country at that point. 90% of the citizens of South Ossetia have Russian passports, giving them a technical Russian citizenship.

Strategically it's in Russia's interest to disrupt Georgia and NATO efforts. Georgia was apparently next on the list to join up. So if NATO did recruit Georgia, NATO is technically at war with Russia.

An ugly mess really. Though considering the firepower Russia has (although Georgia reported shot down 4 Russian planes) I expect them to put the Georgian's on their knees. Maybe. Guess we'll see very soon how far this will escalate.

It is clearly a land grab attempt by Russian. They use the "Its an internal matter stay the hell out of it" when it comes to Chechnya. This is clearly an Internal matter for Georgia as well by that logic

[Nintex]

That Russian today livestream is just painful to watch, according to them the Georgian president on CNN is lying, they even call it propaganda. Also the Georgians got their weapons from the UK and US according to the Russians. The Georgians got a list of names of government officials from Russia calling the shots in South Ossetia so the UN remains undecided.

Edit: Woah, the hottest stock analyst I've ever seen

[Nintex] said:
That Russian today livestream is just painful to watch, according to them the Georgian president on CNN is lying, they even call it propaganda. Also the Georgians got their weapons from the UK and US according to the Russians. The Georgians got a list of names of government officials from Russia calling the shots in South Ossetia so the UN remains undecided.

Edit: Woah, the hottest stock analyst I've ever seen

yeah :lol at russia today^^

dionysus

Yaldog
Russia assassinates its own reporters and political dissidents with hitmen. Don't give them any credibility in what they say.

Tamanon

Banned
laserbeam said:
It is clearly a land grab attempt by Russian. They use the "Its an internal matter stay the hell out of it" when it comes to Chechnya. This is clearly an Internal matter for Georgia as well by that logic

Eh, when dealing with anything in that region, I think the last word you can use is "clearly"

Forsete

Georgia was attacking South Ossetian cities with artillery.. The russian peacekeepers were in combat and suffered casualties, Russia is sending in support.

Its not very black and white, but Georgia looks to have angered the resting bear.

Edit: I dont like this tend with smaller and smaller countries.

dionysus

Yaldog
Forsete said:
Georgia was attacking South Ossetian cities with artillery.. The russian peacekeepers were in combat and suffered casualties, Russia is sending in support.

Its not very black and white, but Georgia looks to have angered the resting bear.

And a month ago a Russian fighter was caught on video shooting down a Georgian plane in Georgian airspace.

Russia has been provoking Georgia for a while.

Forsete

dionysus said:
And a month ago a Russian fighter was caught on video shooting down a Georgian plane in Georgian airspace.

Russia has been provoking Georgia for a while.

Yes i know, I said it wasn't black and white.

[Nintex]

Funky Papa said:
That'd be pretty awesome. Actually, I think I'd pee myself a little.
The only thing that their footage lacks is "Hell march" other than that it's perfect C&C material, especially with the horrible accents.

What's with all the Putin shit? People do realize he's not president anymore, right? Or are they implying that Medvedev is a puppet?

Tamanon

Banned
Sviatoslav said:
What's with all the Putin shit? People do realize he's not president anymore, right? Or are they implying that Medvedev is a puppet?

Generally I think that impression comes from the fact that Medvedev IS a puppet. Putin's Prime Minister now anyways:p

Fuzz Rez

Banned
Why the hell did Georgia invade South Ossetia ? Russia has stated many times that it will intervene if Georgia decides to invade South Ossetia.

I think I'm with russia in this case. Georgia bombed civilian targets and refused to withdraw from South Ossetia so I think Russians actions are acceptable.

Russia doesn't even want this war. They are demanding that UN security council would pressure Georgia back to negotiation table with south ossetia... But I guess it's too late but I sure do hope that russia stops in south ossetia and doesn't go further.

Cheebs

Sviatoslav said:
Putin is still in charge, everyone realizes Medvedev is a puppet.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Fuzz Rez said:
Why the hell did Georgia invade South Ossetia ? Russia has stated many times that it will intervene if Georgia decides to invade South Ossetia.

I think I'm with russia in this case. Georgia bombed civilian targets and refused to withdraw from South Ossetia so I think Russians actions are acceptable.
You know, that could be true, but Russia has a looong history of bombing the shit out of its own citizens to wage war, so...

Cheebs

Sviatoslav said:
The whole "puppet" is mostly from the western media. People in Russia feel differently.
And the people in russia are more or less brainwashed by their media. Russia's govt. kills journalists who challenge the govt's policies.

There is nothing un-corrupt about how Russia is ran. Putin refused to give up power, its run by mostly ex-KGB's and they keep the media in check by killing off any threats. It's a big mess.

If a journalist in America was MURDERED by the government there would be mass hysteria and chaos, Russians seem content to allow their government to be ran by force sadly.

Forsete

This is what an south ossetian writes on Aftonbladet.

Russia is the only support we have, for the majority of us does not want to be a part of Georgia, and because we speak russian we perfer Russian supremacy to Georgian.

Talas

I just read on Yahoo that Ossetia's capital was devastated and hundreds of civilians are dead, I'm with Russia in this for the time being.

Cheebs said:
And the people in russia are more or less brainwashed by their media. Russia's govt. kills journalists who challenge the govt's policies.

There is nothing un-corrupt about how Russia is ran. Putin refused to give up power, its run by mostly ex-KGB's and they keep the media in check by killing off any threats. It's a big mess.

If a journalist in America was MURDERED by the government there would be mass hysteria and chaos, Russians seem content to allow their government to be ran by force sadly.
Hey, I'm sure the western media is totally unbiased with reporting news dealing with Russia, right?

And maybe the people support the government because right now Russia is probably in the best shape its been since the break up of the soviet union.

Fuzz Rez

Banned
Talas said:
I just read on Yahoo that Ossetia's capital was devastated and hundreds of civilians are dead, I'm with Russia in this for the time being.

Casualties are over 1400 at the moment. Open warfare is ongoing in Tskhinvali.

Fuzz Rez said:
Nevermind. I will wait for more info. At the moment I'm with russia.

Free Ossetia !

Did you ever think you'd see the day where you'd side with Russia and then in the next breat call for a country to be "Free" under their rule? :lol

Fuzz Rez

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:
Did you ever think you'd see the day where you'd side with Russia and then in the next breat call for a country to be "Free" under their rule? :lol

Russia isn't taking over in Ossetia.

Zenith

Banned
Sviatoslav said:

what, an unknown bureaucrat installed by Putin who is now himself Prime Minister? surely not...

Hey, I'm sure the western media is totally unbiased with reporting news dealing with Russia, right?

yes, unsubtle jabs by pundits at differing political sides is totally comparable to the imprisonment and murder of journalists. and let's not foreget the out-and-out refusal to cover the opposition parties during elections deemed unfair by independent monitors. Russia is a much a democracy as Zimbabwe.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Did Georgia acknowledged the indiscriminate shelling of Tskhinvali? Because of so, they deserve a lot of the blame.

It is pretty biased, but not nearly as much as Russia's. You know, killing and jailing the oposition is not something most people can cope with.

And maybe the people support the government because right now Russia is probably in the best shape its been since the break up of the soviet union.
Goodwin's law should hit this thread in full force sooner than I anticipated.

dionysus

Yaldog
Rur0ni said:
Ossetia wants to be part of Russia. :p

And Chechnya wants to be independent, but Russia told the world that it was an internal matter and proceeded to slaughter its own citizens.

Edit. If the US granted citizenship to half of Mexico, and most would freely take it if that were the case, would the US have the right to invade Mexico? A sovereign country? You can't just grant anyone citizenship and then use that as a justification for invasion.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Now wait, I dont follow along with this area very much so forgive my ignorance. BUT, isnt this similiar to chechnya? They want independence too right?

Sorry again.

Zenith said:
what, an unknown bureaucrat installed by Putin who is now himself Prime Minister? surely not...
How exactly was Medvedev an unknown? Oh right, because that unbiased western media never talked about him right? Putin was much more unknown when he became president.

Emenis said:
Now wait, I dont follow along with this area very much so forgive my ignorance. BUT, isnt this similiar to chechnya? They want independence too right?

Sorry again.
Ossetia is divided into North Ossetia which is a part of Russia and South Ossetia which is a part of Georgia. South Ossetia wants to leave Georgia and join North Ossetia and be a part of Russia.

Fuzz Rez said:
Well I think ossetia would still be cool with that... 90% of Ossetian's are Russian citizens... And they want to be part of russia ;)

I know all of that. I'm just saying, when's the last time that anyone felt that a country would be more "free" under the Russian umbrella?? Those things haven't really coincided in the past.

Walshicus

Emenis said:

Sorry again.
Chechnya, Dagestan, Ossetia, Abkhazia, the whole fucking region's borders are wrong.

Talas

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I know all of that. I'm just saying, when's the last time that anyone felt that a country would be more "free" under the Russian umbrella?? Those things haven't really coincided in the past.
It seems like Russia was the only country that supported the Ossetians since their vote to be independent back when Georgia was created.

Fuzz Rez

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:

In this case I would consider Ossetia more free under the Russian umbrella. Georgia has been fucking up ossetia since... well always, they won't even deliver electricity for South Ossetia. On the other hand Russia has been aiding south ossetia always. South Ossetia is shit hole and that's pretty much Georgias fault.

laserbeam

Banned
Fuzz Rez said:
In this case I would consider Ossetia more free under the Russian umbrella. Georgia has been fucking up ossetia since... well always, they won't even deliver electricity for South Ossetia. On the other hand Russia has been aiding south ossetia always. South Ossetia is sith hole and that's pretty much Georgias fault.

Until Russia recognizes Chechnya's right to independance Russia has no right to be sticking their nose into another countries "Internal Matters" As Putin and company so love to call it.

Fuzz Rez

Banned
laserbeam said:
Until Russia recognizes Chechnya's right to independance Russia has no right to be sticking their nose into another countries "Internal Matters" As Putin and company so love to call it.

Chechnya has nothing to do with this, what Russia is doing there is wrong, many things in russia are wrong but in this case i think Russia is right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom