• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

German PS4, XB1, PS3, 360 LTD's as of June 2014 via GFK

eXite

Nope, they gave away Fifa for free and it did nothing. They gave away TF for free and it did nothing. They cut the price on the bundles with free TF and that did nothing.

They confused and tricked people with free FIFA ! At gamescom they said that every XBox at launch would be bundled with a free FIFA version. But it turned out to be just the Day One Edition, which at that point was already out sold.

Of course some idiots bought the Xbone and got nothing. Nice move microsoft!

Well the LTD of Wii U in France is 340k as of June 2014 which is comparable to the same time frame for these german LTDs

http://www.challenges.fr/high-tech/...-reussi-un-hold-up-a-l-e3-de-los-angeles.html

XB1 technically has done better sales in France then Germany so far as we know.

126k versus 100k in the same timeframe

PS4 did about the same in both territories.

Assuming for some reason that France sales behavior for 2014 mirrored Germany's then

PS4 2014 YTD would be 278k
PS4 LTD would be 518k

XB1 2014 YTD would be 88k
XB1 LTD would be 214k

So there's a good chance in France it goes something like PS4 >= 500k > Wii U = 340k > XB1 > 200k

Just conjecture of course

I thought it tacked on another 20k in June and 340k was through May? Which is actually fairly impressive considering its baseline.

(I mean if Wii U didn't even pull 60k through the first half of 2014, then lol)

I thought it tacked on another 20k in June and 340k was through May? Which is actually fairly impressive considering its baseline.

(I mean if Wii U didn't even pull 60k through the first half of 2014, then lol)

The quote from the article which i think comes from a Nintendo France representative was

It [MK8] sold 115,000 games in France in two weeks, for an installed base of 340,000 Wii U.

So as of end of May I guess if you want to be specific?

Where is the 20k figure from?

Well the LTD of Wii U in France is 340k as of June 2014 which is comparable to the same time frame for these german LTDs

http://www.challenges.fr/high-tech/...-reussi-un-hold-up-a-l-e3-de-los-angeles.html

XB1 technically has done better sales in France then Germany so far as we know.

126k versus 100k in the same timeframe

PS4 did about the same in both territories.

Assuming for some reason that France sales behavior for 2014 mirrored Germany's then

PS4 2014 YTD would be 278k
PS4 LTD would be 518k

XB1 2014 YTD would be 88k
XB1 LTD would be 214k

So there's a good chance in France it goes something like PS4 >= 500k > Wii U = 340k > XB1 > 200k

Just conjecture of course

It's a pretty long stretch to assume that since French and German 2013 PS4 sales were pretty much the same, that their 2014 sales would as well. One was under shortages, so was entirely dependent on how many units Sony allocated to the country. The other wasn't.

It's a pretty long stretch to assume that since French and German 2013 PS4 sales were pretty much the same, that their 2014 sales would as well. One was under shortages, so was entirely dependent on how many units Sony allocated to the country. The other wasn't.

Yes it's a large assumption but I doubt the ordering is off. It's possible the Wii U is in first if PS4 sales in France careened downward compared to Germany but I don't think that's the most likely scenario

Jomjom

Banned
Dont really understand why MS is focusing on Japan (at least based on what they've said) when what they really need to do is take care of their problems in Europe. Any of those European countries will sell easily 5x what Japan will give them on a weekly basis, since I dont think anyone in their right mind doubts that we'll be seeing xbone media create numbers at 200-300 units a week before 12 months have passed. And its not like they need to release in Japan at all to secure Japanese third party support. Any of the JP third parties releasing on the xbone will be targeting the west, not their backyard.

to be honest, im not sure why people think the xbox one will sell 30 million lifetime, it doesn't have a japanese market, it doesn't seem to have a european market, and the north american market is doing alright, but not enough to make it 30 million. idk, i just dont see how it can

DieH@rd

Banned
Didn't Microsoft have that FIFA deal in Europe? Money well spent?

That deal was not for all consoles. It was "while supplies last", and after few days when Fifa14 codes were gone, they changed it with Forza 5.

Plus, none of their "X game is free" plans ever worked. I fully expect that they will also start giving away Halo MCC in EU this year.

Yes it's a large assumption but I doubt the ordering is off. It's possible the Wii U is in first if PS4 sales in France careened downward compared to Germany but I don't think that's the most likely scenario

I'm sure the ordering is correct but I guess I just see the actual numbers as a pretty blind guess.

cvxfreak

Dont really understand why MS is focusing on Japan (at least based on what they've said) when what they really need to do is take care of their problems in Europe. Any of those European countries will sell easily 5x what Japan will give them on a weekly basis, since I dont think anyone in their right mind doubts that we'll be seeing xbone media create numbers at 200-300 units a week before 12 months have passed. And its not like they need to release in Japan at all to secure Japanese third party support. Any of the JP third parties releasing on the xbone will be targeting the west, not their backyard.

I wouldn't call it "focusing" on Japan. They can ship fewer than 50K and they'll probably be fine for the rest of the year.

Wii U and Xbox One worldwide sales will definitely be something to watch for the rest of the year. It's like a repeat of PS3 vs. 360 on a smaller scale.

DSN2K

Europe has always been pro Playstation, MS had success in the UK last gen but even the UK has back the PS4 hugely. Would not be shocked to see similar numbers in the UK.

Bashtee

der durst ist echt

ecke would be corner, um die ecke bringen -> lead someone around the corner -> to kill somebody. considering the sales figures, a nice combination!

I assume Sony missed a couple of thousands in sales, as the PS4 wasn't really available for a long time. Killed some of the hype. May/June it became easier to buy a PS4. My brother ordered his at the end of december and got it sometime around April if i'm not mistaken. Simply insane.

Hoo-doo

Banned
People are holding out hopes for Gamescom? Really?

E3 did nothing to change purchasing trends, and it's ten times as big of a deal than Gamescom still, even in Germany.
Gamescom is a huge show for hands-on stuff and the general public to try out unreleased games, but megaton announcements are just not part of the show.

jakncoke

Banned
No, the latest Wii U figure I have is 160,000 as of September 2013.

Code:
[B]LTD for other systems (as of September 2013)[/B]

Nintendo DS - 7,500,000
PlayStation 2 - 5,900,000
Wii - 4,600,000
PlayStation 3 - Now 4,200,000 (+300,000 in the last 9 months)
Xbox 360 - 2,400,000 (OP has it at ~2,100,000 because the report says PS3 sold twice as many systems as Xbox 360)
PlayStation Portable - 2,000,000
Nintendo 3DS - 1,600,000
PlayStation Vita - 200,000
Wii U - 160,000

You know whats crazy. In Japan, people suggest to MS why even bother releasing a console. Yet Japan LTD for 360 ispretty damn close to their Germany LTD. 1.64 million for Japan. Really starts to paint a picture on how PS3 was able to tie it up despite being so far behind in USA and UK.

Krilekk

Banned
The only way to turn Germany around for Microsoft is to a) start sponsoring the UEFA Champions League, b) price X1 100€ below PS4 and make FIFA exclusive to Xbox. But a) is probably the most important one. Xbox just isn't marketed here at all. It's not visible while Sony is everywhere.

People are holding out hopes for Gamescom? Really?

E3 did nothing to change purchasing trends, and it's ten times as big of a deal than Gamescom still, even in Germany.
Gamescom is a huge show for hands-on stuff and the general public to try out unreleased games, but megaton announcements are just not part of the show.

You'll see. Fifa 15 exclusive, COD exclusive, MGS5 exclusive.

Microsoft knows it's make or break time and they won't quit.

EGM1966

Pretty much as expected given the lack of early launch advantag, better online service and reaction to initial reveal and relative brand strength.

The German and France numbers noted are also inflated for Xbox with import sales from the fabled Tier 2 saviour countries so it should be noted local demand in each is lower than the numbers indicate.

As Xbox launches in other countries and imports drop and market trends continue I expect to see the gap widen further week by week bar a miracle for Xbox.

MS really, really needs to find a way to pull back in US as it's never going to do so in Europe - it's always been a virtual impossibility as the numbers show all too clearly.

mike4001_

Do you think HALO MCC or Sunset Overdrive will change something with these numbers ?

Just thinking that Sony´s big exklusives are basically all coming in 2015.

Maybe now MS could get back some of its market share the rest of 2014.

Fred-87

How many of those Xbones were imported by people in Tier 2 countries. For that matter would Tier 2 folks have imported their Xboned from Germany or someplace else?

In Holland a lot. Not just small gaming stores imported them. Even many large media chains imported them.

Saty

With Germany being PC-focused, this also shows hot little significance there is in MS keeping Xbox exclusives away from PC to get those gamers buy the console.

Dinjooh

Do you think HALO MCC or Sunset Overdrive will change something with these numbers ?

For the German market?

I'd wager Forza Horizon 2 will have a bigger impact.

Driving games are kinda huge over here.

Not surprising. The 360 always was a fluke. If not for Sony's fuck up it would have been doomed to irrelevance like every other Xbox console.

Hardly. It'll cause a boost of course but they can't claw back the market with those titles. It's not like Sony don't have any exclusives this year and people can't buy CoD/AC/FIFA on the PS4. It's still home to the biggest games regardless of a few big hitters not arriving till next year. Plus most of their friends will already have the machine to play online with.

It will take aggressive price cutting and heavy marketing plus a brand refresh to turn anything around in Europe and even then it could all be for naught.

EGM1966

Extremely unlikely I'd say. SSO is a new IP on a console with limited demand so I'd expect next to nothing from that.

MCC appeals to people who already played those games on previous Xbox consoles - the very people most likely to have already bought one already. I think it might get some fans waiting for Halo 5 to bite and cause a small spike but nothing of note : at best for a week or two it might narrow weekly sales gap id figure.

Forza might have a better chance as a racer but Forza is already out on Xbox so again those who would be interested in Forza probably have console already.

TBH I think most people over judge potential impact of exclusives vs larger market trends and big AAA multi-platform games : for example you're thinking these exclusives matter vs Sony exclusives while forgetting Destiny. Sure it's on both but it's a foregone conclusion it'll sell way better on PS4 and I'd bet it'll help PS4 more than it will Xbox inclusive of the games you mention.

I'm not trying to be negative just realistic - right now the Xbox is being dominated in Europe and there really is nothing currently visible in the pipe that's going to noticeably change that : a few small sales spikes at the weekly level for some exclusives aren't enough given current sales patterns.

geordiemp

Being UK I am always in awe of the good taste in engineering when visiting Germany.

Lets face it, the Ps4 is probably one of the best engineered and optimised console designs to-date in terms of hardware and design choices......

Software is subjective.

Probably no way for MS to turn this around

Just to put the Xbox One software sales in Germany into perspective, there hasn't been a single Xbox One game that has hit 100k units.

Raist

Banned

FYI there were more Gen 8 consoles sold in France than Germany in Jan-May 2014 (0.69 vs 0.62M). While the WiiU and 3DS might be performing slightly better in France, overall the numbers must be roughly equivalent.

Faddy

Banned
I wish we knew why EA (and to a lesser extent Activision) is doubling down and basically jumping in bed with MS. They and other third parties can see where this is going - the EA Vault and all the CoD exclusive maps in the world can't right a 2:1 sales gap world wide. And despite the price drop and the new SKU - the gap actually seems to be growing. I'm not saying they should abandon the Xbox One, but what incentive is there for them to give MS exclusive anything unless the money is right (which I doubt).

Oh well, the world wonders.

EA might be trying to keep Microsoft in the console business. There are still rumors floating that Xbox is going to be sold off or spun out. In a scenario where the console would need to be the main part of the business they would be unable to compete with Sony and don't have the IP to be Nintendo. Publishers want competition, they want that free Titanfall money and promotion, they want exclusive DLC, etc. Anything they can squeeze out of a platform holder. If PS4 is the only viable console for blockbuster games then Sony has a much s.tronger position and can't be coerced into bidding for exclusive content

ISee

With Germany being PC-focused, this also shows hot little significance there is in MS keeping Xbox exclusives away from PC to get those gamers buy the console.

As a gamer I hate Microsoft for their lack of PC gaming support, but from a strategic viewpoint I understand them, at least a bit.

As you already mentioned people in Germany buy their console complementary to their gaming PC. And the PS3 was the better additional gaming device last gen and the PS4 seems to be the better additional gaming device this gen.

One point why most costumers seem to think this way is because all Sony exclusives are true exclusives and a lot Microsoft exclusives are just console quasi exclusives, like Gears of War 1, Mass Effect (for a long time), Halo 1+2, Dead Rising 3, Titanfall, etc.
With all Microsoft games coming to the PC, there would be absolutely no need to buy a XONE.

Nibel

I'll never forget walking into a store during Christmas and seeing that pile of lonely Xbox Ones surrounded by people who were looking for a PS4.

Pennywise

It's a combination of alot of things.
As you already said, people are rather negative about microsoft regarding alot of decision they made on the pc market.

The price point was lost when they announced it, and cutting it later on will never do the trick.
Plus the initial reveal was a desaster.

It's like everybody said, Sony/Nintendo and PC gamers clearly have the upper hand.
So announcing something that seriously pisses off alot of gamers is just a no go.

When people are already cautious over the status quo, something like that doesn't help.
Now they've got a stigma that's really hard to get over....
The only way to get at least a piece of the cake back would be games.
So far though, it looks like the same franchises over and over again.

People know what to expect from MS/Sony/Nintendo, unless MS decides to further strengthen their portofolio and bring in some unexpected games, they won't have a chance.

Alot of people already know Sony/Nintendo for a long time, that's something MS can't go up against.
They need to prove themselves over and over again.

jgf

Being UK I am always in awe of the good taste in engineering when visiting Germany.

Lets face it, the Ps4 is probably one of the best engineered and optimised console designs to-date in terms of hardware and design choices......

Software is subjective.

Probably no way for MS to turn this around
Funny thing is, the external power brick and inefficient internal hardware layout were a huge point against the xbox one for me. So I guess in a way that may be true.

Also initially you got the technical superior machine for 100€ less. Put on top of that an online service with better value (aka more "free" games) that's also the online service most of your friends already use and boom you got your reasons why ps4 is outselling X1.

Usobuko

Banned
The ratio declined so much for Xbox One makes it feel like most of its sales are front loaded. I think that's a trend for 2014 onward sales.

Top Bottom