• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Germany Hardware LTD through March 2015: PS4 1.6 million, XBO 378K

They really need some more exclusives so people pick it up as a 2nd console and maybe even get an xbox live membership as well.

Welfare

Never understood why MS made the Xbone such an American centric product. It is like they didn't care to give up all of Europe (with the exception of the UK) to the competition. Did they think America and the UK was going to carry them for the entire generation?

The 360 sold 40m units in the United States before the Xbox One launched. UK was over 8 million. Just from those two regions the 360 sold over 48 million units. MS probably saw an even bigger goldmine that they could mine now because the Wii U flopped, and the only competition would be Playstation.

The 360 sold 40m units in the United States before the Xbox One launched. UK was over 8 million. Just from those two regions the 360 sold over 48 million units. MS probably saw an even bigger goldmine that they could mine now because the Wii U flopped, and the only competition would be Playstation.

What terrifies me is how MS thought it was a good idea to implement their anti-consumer DRM ideas and believed that they could get away with it.

One would think that there were people from more reasonable backgrounds raising the red flags to the upper brass.

When the Adam "#dealwithit" Orth brouhaha happened, I honestly thought that he was just trolling his friend when I discussed it with my friend at JPL. My JPL friend was extremely unnerved that the statement even came from someone high up the executive ladder. The Adam Orth thing was the only time I had ever been wrong in a video game argument with that JPL friend of mine (he now works at Google as part of the Geospatial Services team, I think).

They really need some more exclusives so people pick it up as a 2nd console and maybe even get an xbox live membership as well.

As long as you can play FIFA on the PS4, only a small number of ppl will even consider an Xbox in Germany. Even if Halo and Forza get a 100 on metacritic and are considered the best games of all time, MS does not have a way to tell ppl about it.
Sony OTH:
1369370114002-vlcsnap-2013-05-25-19qkucy.png

Biker19

Banned

Even so, I don't think that Microsoft will easily be able to get near 48+ million Xbox One owners in the U.S. (or about 10+ million owners in the UK) like they had with Xbox 360.

It took them about 9 years just to achieve it.

germany always was a playstation country, but this is extreme. All the xbox people I know switched to PC (besides the Halo fans), while all that casual and annual cod+fifa players are buying ps4s. Too bad even Halo 5 wont have a big impact here in germany, since it's still not a big franchise as BF, CoD, etc here.

I've worked for a few fansites in germany and can tell you that the PR department of Microsoft is really really bad, like non-existent. Like they dont even care about germany anymore.

germany is a country full of fifa people.

i know, i am known for being anti-sony, but seriously guys:

x1 is cheaper
games are cheaper
xblg is cheaper

still they wont sell more.

ps is king in germany. whats wrong?
it has been back then during the last era between the two, now its the same.

the real difference is only known to a few selected nerds out there, the average gamer doesnt care.

Microsoft killed the console when they revealed it. Even the German mainstream media released articles about the spy cam Kinect and the planned drm.

oti

Banned

x1 is cheaper
games are cheaper
xblg is cheaper

the real difference is only known to a few selected nerds out there, the average gamer doesnt care.

PS4 was 100€ cheaper for a pretty long time. Now everyone has a PS4. There's absolutely no reason to get an XBO if you want to play games such as FIFA online with your friends.

XBO is the Halo machine. If you like Halo, get the XBO. If not, get the PS4. It's that simple.

Goddamn, that's some unnecessary hatred right there. I don't get why people would hate a successful console unless they are fanboys.

It makes me wonder what has made that person so hateful towards a console.
I believe his/her dog was run over by a PS4.

You guys are going about it the wrong way. He was clearly trying to write a Haiku; yuxtaposing the ugliness of console wars with the beauty of what's inside our hearts. I will grant that his metric pattern was a bit unorthodox, but such is the nature of art.

DBT85

Even so, I don't think that Microsoft will easily be able to get near 48+ million Xbox One owners in the U.S. (or about 10+ million owners in the UK) like they had with Xbox 360.

It took them about 9 years just to achieve it.

They won't.

Lusankya

In a big city maybe. Internet in "ländlichen Gebieten" continues to be terrible. Hell, the city I live in has 120k inhabitants and the fastest internet I can get is 12mbit down. Just a few km away the fastest speed available ranges from 2mbit to 4mbit. Looking at Telekom's Breitbandausbau map they have no plans to change that any time soon.

In what state do you live in? In my hometown in Hesse (population of ~ 12k) we got 50mbit three years ago.

x1 is cheaper -> it is now, but wasn't for how long? PS4 took the lead because of that.
games are cheaper -> that's pretty crazy.
xblg is cheaper -> I don't live in Germany, but quick google search: 59.99 vs 49.99 / please let me know if I'm missing anything there as I just started studying German.

My comments are bolded. As for the italics... stay classy.

i know, i am known for being anti-sony
, but seriously guys:

x1 is cheaper
games are cheaper
xblg is cheaper

Sure, bub, whatever you say.

Lusankya

This might be off-topic but did you choose your name based on the Super Star Destroyer from the X-Wings novels?

Yes, totally. I am a huge Star Wars fan, especially of all the books in the EU. While the X-Wing series isn't really among my favorite series I loved the name the very second I read it. Always use it as my nick in games and forums.

Yes, totally. I am a huge Star Wars fan, especially of all the books in the EU. While the X-Wing series isn't really among my favorite series I loved the name the very second I read it. Always use it as my nick in games and forums.

*Brofists*

It is definitely a unique name with a pretty mind-blowing revelation.

Funny thing is, I ended up liking Wraith Squadron more than Rogue Squadron.

Yudoken

Last gen was pretty much balanced (and I hated it, couldn't play with everyone on one system) but this gen pc and PS4 are dominating by a huge distance.
I've yet to meet someone who still owns an Xone (I know one who bought one but switched to a PS4). Everyone else either owns a pc or pc and PS4.

Death2494

*Sigh

Something is wrong here

(banned site)
Xbox One (XOne) LTD WW
USA 7.44 (600k buff for no reason)
EU 3.14
JPN 0.05
ROTW 1.39
Total 12.02

So when you correct it with the 6.84 instead of the 7.44, Xbox One's LTD is only 11.42M
13M would make mean Microsoft has over 1.58M just sitting shelves. This should be enough evidence that they clearly overtrack XBOX one. Unless you think they are low balling Xbox One in the ROTW. That would be counter productive after buffing them by 600k in USA.
That sold through number sounds about right if you ask me. I myself predict the XB1 to be somewhere around 11.5 million and PS4 at 21.2 million at the end of March.
Me too I think 11.5M sold-through with 12.5M sold-in sounds about right. But Raist claimed this and was nearly crucified for it. 13.5M means your predictions are higher than (banned site) and that not a good sign.

Javin98

Banned
Thanks for this. First I was thinking "What the hell am I watching?", then I started laughing. XD

*Sigh

Something is wrong here

(banned site)
Xbox One (XOne) LTD WW
EU 3.14
JPN 0.05
ROTW 1.39
Total 12.02

So when you correct it with the 6.84 instead of the 7.44, Xbox One's LTD is only 11.42M
13M would make mean Microsoft has over 1.58M just sitting shelves. This should be enough evidence that they clearly overtrack XBOX one. Unless you think they are low balling Xbox One in the ROTW. That would be counter productive after buffing them by 600k in USA
That sold through number sounds about right if you ask me. I myself predict the XB1 to be somewhere around 11.5 million and PS4 at 21.2 million at the end of March.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It's a little weird to see this as in all retail stores I've been to in the last year (really just MediaMarkt and Saturn in several towns) XO and PS4 were nearly the same in shelf space, number of available accessories and so on. I mean I know no one with an Xbox One and have never seen one outside of stores, whereas tons of people near me have PS4s, but I didn't expect the difference to be that huge.

The following things are keeping me from buying an Xbox One for its exclusives (which really really interest me):

It has features built in I won't use that, while probably not making the console cheaper if eliminated, would make me feel like I overpayed. Sony's approach with a console just for games was the right call and MS should have a SKU like that.

It isn't as practical as the PS4: While I myself would prefer a bigger console over a smaller but way louder one, I think the general consumer prefers it the exact opposite way.
Also, you can't just plug in any headphones into the XO gamepad like you can with the PS4 (even with a mic), which is a huge deal for me and I guess a LOT of people not playing in living rooms with proper setups but in bedrooms, dorms, at desks etc..

It is generally harder to justify buying both consoles now that you have to pay for online multiplayer on both.

It is a great media box too. Not worth buying the console for, but an additional point to consider. I never really got on with having separate boxes for streaming services - switching HDMI inputs, turning the boxes on etc. I never used my PS3/PS4 for media for that reason.

But on xbox one, I have my TiVo going through the HDMI so if I'm watching TV, the xbox is on. From there it is easy to go to plex/netflix/Amazon prime/iPlayer etc. so I'm finding myself using those a lot more.

dolemite

*Sigh

Something is wrong here

(banned site)
Xbox One (XOne) LTD WW
EU 3.14
JPN 0.05
ROTW 1.39
Total 12.02

13M would make mean Microsoft has over 1.58M just sitting shelves. This should be enough evidence that they clearly overtrack XBOX one. Unless you think they are low balling Xbox One in the ROTW. That would be counter productive after buffing them by 600k in USA.

Me too I think 11.5M sold-through with 12.5M sold-in sounds about right. But Raist claimed this and was nearly crucified for it. 13.5M means your predictions are higher than (banned site) and that not a good sign.

The banned site has yet to update its numbers for over a month now. Something is definitely wrong there.

Death2494

The banned site has yet to update its numbers for over a month now. Something is definitely wrong there.
Everyone's predictions are as of March 31st, 2015. It marked the end of the Q1 for CY2015.
I'm sure there isn't anyone including April. Check out the title of the thread.

why the fuck are we using chartz in here, or going over this same shipped number debate

P.S. if XB1 shipments are <13 million, 360>PS3

Sakujou

Banned
It makes me wonder what has made that person so hateful towards a console.
It makes me downward angry if false accusations are circulating.

The same goes for people who constantly try to tell me, that the nintendo systems are only for elementary school kids.
Every system has their fair share of good games, the hd systems, especially x1 had a really bad start from the beginning. Back then, comparing both systems was a no brainer since they both had no real library, but ps4 sold better....

@funkypajamas:
X1 had a lot of bundles here. With games and controllers and stuff.
In reality ms gave away a fuck ton of free digital games.(after a few month after the launch and nowadays)
Games were and are usually if you buy online a couple of euros cheaper. I mean retail releases, online prices are outrageous here in europe.
Being 59-69 euros for a new game is simply nuts.
Xblg is cheaper, if you buy online.
For a couple of years i bought my membership(13months) off ebay for 20-30euros, compared to ps+ which was back then quite expensive.
Same goes to ms points which were always cheaper buying them online since a lot of people were confused about the conversion.

EGM1966

It is a great media box too. Not worth buying the console for, but an additional point to consider. I never really got on with having separate boxes for streaming services - switching HDMI inputs, turning the boxes on etc. I never used my PS3/PS4 for media for that reason.

But on xbox one, I have my TiVo going through the HDMI so if I'm watching TV, the xbox is on. From there it is easy to go to plex/netflix/Amazon prime/iPlayer etc. so I'm finding myself using those a lot more.
I find just using a smart TV easier (and feel better that I'm not throwing huge amount of electricity at the requirement).

I just don't see the attraction of having your console on to stream anything anymore (used to with PS3 and 360) when your TV can do the same thing perfectly fine and using a lot less juice.

Well unless you just have to see PSN/Live notifications but you can get those on a phone.

Death2494

why the fuck are we using chartz in here, or going over this same shipped number debate

P.S. if XB1 shipments are <13 million, 360>PS3
Great use of language by the way.

Did you miss the part where they have have Xbox One LTD @ 12.02M and USA 600k higher than it actually is? They had to fluff Xbox One in America just for it to be @ 12.02M. Other poster were being stoned for suggesting that Xbox One's sold-through might be 11.5M with 12.5M sold-in. Also 360 is cheaper than PS3. PS3>PS4 adoption is happening at a much faster rate than 360>One, so PS3 declined sharply in comparison to 360.

I'm still on the optimistic side for current XB1 WW LTD figures, I reckon around 13.5 million. But seeing how badly it's performing in countries across Europe, its best days are behind it and I'll be more critical of combined 360/one figures in the future as a way of hiding performance.

This. Your prediction is not any less valid because we still don't know the split. We can extrapolate from CFO calls and 3rd party statements all day long but we still lack hard data. Based on Xbox One's performance in Europe, 12.5M sold-in is within reason
can you provide me with the source for XB1 numbers in the US being lower than chartzzzz show?
US sales of the Xbox One as of March 2015 is 6.84m (rounded down) Also the baseline would be 9.46m.

Colbert

Banned
As long as you can play FIFA on the PS4, only a small number of ppl will even consider an Xbox in Germany. Even if Halo and Forza get a 100 on metacritic and are considered the best games of all time, MS does not have a way to tell ppl about it.
Sony OTH:
1369370114002-vlcsnap-2013-05-25-19qkucy.png

The champions league deal between UEFA and Sony is ending this year. Will be interesting to see if Microsoft takes the chance that is offered here to get a better footprint in Europe and especially in Spain, Italy and Germany.

I'm still on the optimistic side for current XB1 WW LTD figures, I reckon around 13.5 million. But seeing how badly it's performing in countries across Europe, its best days are behind it and I'll be more critical of combined 360/one figures in the future as a way of hiding performance.

Pezus

Did you miss the part where they have have Xbox One LTD @ 12.02M and USA 600k higher than it actually is? They had to fluff Xbox One in America just for it to be @ 12.02M. Other poster were being stoned for suggesting that Xbox One's sold-through might be 11.5M with 12.5M sold-in. Also 360 is cheaper than PS3. PS3>PS4 adoption is happening at a much faster rate than 360>One, so PS3 declined sharply in comparison to 360.
can you provide me with the source for XB1 numbers in the US being lower than chartzzzz show?

The champions league deal between UEFA and Sony is ending this year. Will be interesting to see if Microsoft takes the chance that is offered here to get a better footprint in Europe and especially in Spain, Italy and Germany.

RealMadrid.jpg

They did make a deal with Real Madrid, but so far they only use it for Lumia/Surface.
IMO the CL deal is a must-have for X1 at this point.

Xando

They barely have marketing here in germany, i doubt they'll invest 100+ million euro to get the sony deal.

Colbert

Banned

There are already enough people on the platform to find players for multiplayer even in Germany. If MS would be more supportive on german tastes they would perform better sales wise but at the moment we are just a major market without real country support. MS marketing for Xbox One is Germany is laughable (at best).

Colbert

Banned
They barely have marketing here in germany, i doubt they'll invest 100+ million euro to get the sony deal.

If they want to get better traction in european markets then they have to. Football & Champions League is the way to go if you want reach out to a big audience that is also game related. MS already pushes FIFA15 Ultimate Team in advertisements. This would be the right next step. No risk, No chances (fun) ;)

KHlover

Banned
In what state do you live in? In my hometown in Hesse (population of ~ 12k) we got 50mbit three years ago.
Baden-Württemberg. We are sooo modern...except when it comes to internet apparently. Karlsruhe and Stuttgart seem to be good, but the rest is...spotty.

You do know that a CL game like Bayern vs. Barcelona is one of the most watched sports events worldwide. Germany isn't the main factor in that equation.

ISee

There are already enough people on the platform to find players for multiplayer even in Germany. If MS would be more supportive on german tastes they would perform better sales wise but at the moment we are just a major market without real country support. MS marketing for Xbox One is Germany is laughable (at best).

I agree, Microsoft's marketing is none existing but there are no special german tastes. Germans are very pragmatic in these regards, they prefer the console that delivers the best possible graphics, that is one of the reasons why PC gaming is still so strong here. Secondly they think about the games they like. Xone was never sold as a graphics focused console in the first place but as a media box. And I think that is the reason that the Xbox one is performing "so bad" world wide and not just in Germany.

If they want to get better traction in european markets then they have to. Football & Champions League is the way to go if you want reach out to a big audience that is also game related. MS already pushes FIFA15 Ultimate Team in advertisements. This would be the right next step. No risk, No chances (fun) ;)

Didn't MS get the stadium naming rights to the Santiago Bernabeu?

I think I read it's going to be called the Microsoft Bernabeu
cringe

If true then that could help with a corporate awareness boost in presence for the EU, maybe not Xbone specifically though.

ISee

Baden-Württemberg. We are sooo modern...except when it comes to internet apparently. Karlsruhe and Stuttgart seem to be good, but the rest is...spotty.

Well I live in the Rhein-Neckar area and I am on a 120 mbit connection via cable. Especially in BW there are ways to get quick connections.

Sakujou

Banned
maybe some of you remember the ff13 marketing campaign of ms back then... it didnt help them. ff13 was advertised for 360, but it sold more copies on ps3(apparently i bought it on ps3 because it was one of the only few games which were better on ps3 than 360)

i remember friends of mine telling me that they saw a wrong ad showing ff in 360 which must be a mistake...

Well I live in the Rhein-Neckar area and I am on a 120 mbit connection via cable. Especially in BW there are ways to get quick connections.

There are still huge differences between each "Gemeinde". If you have an IT company in your village you might be able to get 100mbps even tho population is >10k.
But you can also live in a >100k city and only get 16mbps if the area you live in isn't financially attractive for the respective ISP companies.
Here in Berlin-Wilmersdorf I could get 200mbps via cable, a friend of mine lives in Berlin-Mariendorf (a semi suburb) and only gets 32 mbps.
So these "where do you live" comparisons don't work.
IMO speeds aren't bad, but considering the economic power of Germany we should never be behind Holland or France (according to Ookla).

Conduit

Banned
Xblg is cheaper, if you buy online.
For a couple of years i bought my membership(13months) off ebay for 20-30euros, compared to ps+ which was back then quite expensive.

God dammit! It's a PROMOTION! I bought PS+ 1 year for 35$! Try harder. You really know shit. Nice spin.

Regular price for XBL 1 year is 59.99$, for PS+ 1 year 49.99$

Pezus

This. Your prediction is not any less valid because we still don't know the split. We can extrapolate from CFO calls and 3rd party statements all day long but we still lack hard data. Based on Xbox One's performance in Europe, 12.5M sold-in is within reason
Chartz have it at 6.9m so almost spot on... After adjustments of course

ZhugeEX

Banned
*Sigh

Something is wrong here

(banned site)
Xbox One (XOne) LTD WW
EU 3.14
JPN 0.05
ROTW 1.39
Total 12.02

I am never one to defend chartz. But if you're going to use their numbers then at least get them right. The US number is actually North America for them which includes Canada and other regions etc...

Secondly, don't use Chartz to prove a point... ever. They make their numbers up.

Thirdly, and I'll assume you're referring to me when you say others predicted "13.5m", is that this was never a prediction. It was a calculation based on accurate data that is more accurate than that banned website. Also it is a calculated sell in number, not a made up sell through number like chartz report.

So please, don't use chartz, don't make shit up, don't get banned here.

Also stop pretending like you know anything about sales. You've literally copy and pasted someone elses argument to make it your own. If you want to participate in the sales threads then don't get salty everytime someone posts how the Xbox actually sold 1 unit or something. Actually look at the numbers and calculate them properly rather than pretending that the Xbox One doesn't sell to anyone at all. If I remember correctly you were banned before for not believing NPD, Gfk, Microsoft and other numbers. You have no right to discuss sales if that's what you believe.

Top Bottom