• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Germany Hardware LTD through March 2015: PS4 1.6 million, XBO 378K

chadskin

The Xbox One is the WiiU of the console world.

2kWHUnN.png

(by our own GutZ31)

This always brought up in Germany sales thread. Here is the thing: PC has been the strongest platform if you compare it to other individual platforms in the last years. The time where PC was bigger than all consoles combined is long gone.

Sony announced mid-last year( I think it was on a SXW panel), that for the first time PS4 was the strongest platform and beat PC.
You can see this also from the revenue chart 2014 from BIU as PS4 has probably 50%+ marketshare.

However, pc titles sell for less (new pc titles 40-45€ , new console games 55-65€). On average it's even more drastic. PC titles sell for ~22€, console titles for ~48€ (from my memory - didn't look it up).

Regarding shelf space (has already been said, though).
There is the hidden object section, a lot of german only adventures and sims, a lot of german only pc collections (adventure pack for instance) and green pepper section (another budget section with a special label).
Those titles may not sell much individually and we don't see them in the charts, but they add up. Charts are only Top 50 or Top 100 - we would need Top 500 to see those PC titles.

Green Pepper for instance (all games are 6,99€ they usually have 50+ titles in the store):
https://www.greenpepper.de/charts/

There is also a another budget section which mostly consists of PC titles, as media markt/saturn usually uses promotions to clear console game stock (besides Softwarepyramide - another budget section that includes pc+console).

Picked up LA Noir complete edition for 10€ yesterday. Pretty much the whole year you get better deals in retail than on steam. And new pc titles sell for 15€ less than on steam.

Regarding games sold and revenue (this is from 2013 and includes retail and digital):
d324b97cca.png
fbddf9a2d0.png

In the category games sold PC should still be the biggest platform (and that's the reason why it gets so much shelf place). Revenue is obviously more important - so PC isn't number 1 anymore.

PC revenue's shrunk dramatically from 2012 > 2013 while consoles gained. This goes well with what a Sony's exec once said about German PC gamers switching from PC to PS4.

Moonstone

Thank you. Interesting.
I am sure he made 0% of those decisions.
Also he does not understand why people in germany buy ps4. Marketing deals are a nice side-dish, but the 3 main reasons are: it does and has all you expect from next gen. it is a playstation. And it is not from microsoft.

A german exec can't obviously influence what they decide in overseas. His arguments maybe not the main reason why PS4 sells so much, but he only can talk about what they do here (and this was the question). A strength of Sony in EU is, that they have always tried to cater to the individual markets. MS has been ignoring this in the past.

It's a good move to try more than to treat EU as one country and just copy what is done in the US. Sony has made a lot of better decisions regarding localisation than MS.

eXistor

It's pretty much the same here in the Netherlands, we've always been Sony country, but this gen the Xbox One is just trailing further and further behind.

A german exec can't obviously influence what they decide in overseas. His arguments maybe not the main reason why PS4 sells so much, but he only can talk about what they do here (and this was the question). A strength of Sony in EU is, that they have always tried to cater to the individual markets. MS has been ignoring this in the past.

It's a good move to try more than to treat EU as one country and just copy what is done in the US. Sony has made a lot of better decisions regarding localisation than MS.

Agree 100%. Best proof that Sony understands europe is that they sponsor the champion's league.

Melchiah

after the dual shock problems and the psn being somehow not accessible?

i doubt it. i dont feel, that the ps is the better product.

the one thing, sony does right, is marketing. everyone knows playstation 4, when it comes to gaming.

It plays most of the big 3rd party games better, has more games and better indie support, and had sharing functions from the start. Not to mention, that it didn't attempt to rip off consumers with restrictions, and sell information about them to advertisers. I think it's pretty obvious why it is the better product for most gamers. It's a bit far-fetched to downplay all that by saying it's only due to marketing.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
It plays most of the big 3rd party games better, has more games and better indie support, and had sharing functions from the start. Not to mention, that it didn't attempt to rip off consumers with restrictions, and sell information about them to advertisers. I think it's pretty obvious why it is the better product for most gamers. It's a bit far-fetched to downplay all that by saying it's only due to marketing.
Just to keep in mind: You are arguing with someone that has said they hate the PS4 and its success.

Lucumo

This always brought up in Germany sales thread. Here is the thing: PC has been the strongest platform if you compare it to other individual platforms in the last years. The time where PC was bigger than all consoles combined is long gone.

Sony announced mid-last year( I think it was on a SXW panel), that for the first time PS4 was the strongest platform and beat PC.
You can see this also from the revenue chart 2014 from BIU as PS4 has probably 50%+ marketshare.

However, pc titles sell for less (new pc titles 40-45€ , new console games 55-65€). On average it's even more drastic. PC titles sell for ~22€, console titles for ~48€ (from my memory - didn't look it up).

Regarding shelf space (has already been said, though).
There is the hidden object section, a lot of german only adventures and sims, a lot of german only pc collections (adventure pack for instance) and green pepper section (another budget section with a special label).
Those titles may not sell much individually and we don't see them in the charts, but they add up. Charts are only Top 50 or Top 100 - we would need Top 500 to see those PC titles.

Green Pepper for instance (all games are 6,99€ they usually have 50+ titles in the store):
https://www.greenpepper.de/charts/

There is also a another budget section which mostly consists of PC titles, as media markt/saturn usually uses promotions to clear console game stock (besides Softwarepyramide - another budget section that includes pc+console).

Picked up LA Noir complete edition for 10€ yesterday. Pretty much the whole year you get better deals in retail than on steam. And new pc titles sell for 15€ less than on steam.

Regarding games sold and revenue (this is from 2013 and includes retail and digital):
d324b97cca.png
fbddf9a2d0.png

In the category games sold PC should still be the biggest platform (and that's the reason why it gets so much shelf space). Revenue is obviously more important - so PC isn't number 1 anymore.
Yeah, we talked about that above, in 2014 it was likely that Sony had 50% dominance in the console market.
2013 was in the open due to charts not really being available.
I doubt that PS4 alone beat PC though, especially if it was in the midst of last year, unless they are talking about a specific month (which wouldn't be surprising with GTA 5).

PC revenue's shrunk dramatically from 2012 > 2013 while consoles gained. This goes well with what a Sony's exec once said about German PC gamers switching from PC to PS4.
Not true. As you saw from an earlier chart, over 92% of all gamers are PC gamers (they just play on other platforms as well). People are just investing more money in games for the PS4. And that doesn't even mean the revenue for PC games has to decrease because as people get older, they have more money to spend (because they eventually work etc). So the gaming market is going to continue to become bigger. The second reason is that PC gamers are happier with indie titles than AAA titles these days. Minecraft is pretty huge. So all the enthusiasts that bought the game and are playing and playing it will likely spend less money on other, expensive games.

So since we have current LTD of the US, Germany and Japan, what is the total sell through of these 3 countries for all the consoles?

I'm on my phone and search doesn"t work on it.

ethomaz

Banned
In Germany the word "Playstation" is used for consoles synonymously, so no surprise.
Hunmm... why 360 sold well there?

This X land is bullshit... it always sells the console that looks good by the consumers view.

360 looked good... Xbone not... that is why Xbone sales are terrible.

Moonstone

Yeah, we talked about that above, in 2014 it was likely that Sony had 50% dominance in the console market.

2013 was in the open due to charts not really being available.

I doubt that PS4 alone beat PC though, especially if it was in the midst of last year, unless they are talking about a specific month (which wouldn't be surprising with GTA 5).

I don't remember the date, might also be later that year or earlier this year. Might also be related to a specific month.

However:
Revenue PC vs console 2014 was 348 vs 792 (in million €). So it's possible that PS4 beat PC in 2014, assuming that PS4 had a high enough marketshare (44% would be enough). PC has been the strongest platform in the past, but that changed recently, I don't care about the exact date.

@charts: I could look them up - but charts are pretty much irrelevant in this discussion. They tend to paint a wrong picture of the overall market.

Hunmm... why 360 sold well there?

This X land is bullshit... it always sells the better console by the consumers view.

It sold okayish because it was a good console.

Now with the 1:4-situation this could end in some uncomfortable mechanics for Xbox:

- games from european developers with focus on europe could skip xbox, the parity clause does not make it better.

- retailers like media-saturn could give playstation more shelf space and put xbox in a less prominent corner, except if microsoft pays some extra money

-retailers order less quantity for xbox games that are already selling less with the result that they are selling even less. that would only fortify the first two points

- the buddy-effect will create even more playstation-centric groups of players

- xbox could get a loser-image. and who wants to cheer for the losing team?

If morpheus turns out to be good, is affordable and well-managed this could all become even worse for microsoft.

ethomaz

Banned
It sold okayish because it was a good console.

Now with the 1:4-situation this could end in some uncomfortable mechanics for Xbox:

- games from european developers with focus on europe could skip xbox, the parity clause does not make it better.

- retailers like media-saturn could give playstation more shelf space and put xbox in a less prominent corner, except if microsoft pays some extra money

-retailers order less quantity for xbox games that are already selling less with the result that they are selling even less. that would only fortify the first two points

- the buddy-effect will create even more playstation-centric groups of players

- xbox could get a loser-image. and who wants to cheer for the losing team?

If morpheus turns out to be good, is affordable and well-managed this could all become even worse for microsoft.
Exactly the issue is not that Germany is a Playstation land but Xbone being a bad choice by consumers view.

If it was a good choice it could sold like 360 or even better.

Exactly the issue is not that Germany is a Playstation land but Xbone being a bad choice by consumers view.

absolutely. but this is the situation as it is, or as a wise man once said: deal with it.
If I knew a way how xbox could turn this around I would straight out apply for a job in redmont. I am pretty sure they do not know either.
on the other hand the generation is still young and maybe we are in for a surprise. I just cannot imagine what this will be. Halo it will not, at least not in europe, It will sell consoles for sure, but this is urgently needed because all summer through sales for xbox will be depressing.
And if by any means during the next months it would get leaked that tomb raider really is a timed exclusive and when it will be available for playstation, this will be even worse.

Moonstone

I agree. XY is XY land doesn't help and it has been proven in the past, that this is not true in all cases. Brand awareness is obviously important, but the implied narrative of this argument is, that it doesn't matter at all what you do, because of "XY land".

What if the following games were never released for the 360: Gears 1+2, Condemned, Left for Dead1+2, Crackdown 1+2, Dead Rising 1+2?
Those were the defining titles of the first years. They never were released in germany.

LfD1 was released, but heavily cut, LfD 2 got confiscated.

And if Halo was never popular? (shooter without M+KB in a CS-PC country ... haha Halo2 PC was bad)

The first Xbox had also a lot of problems here, because it focused on bringing pc games to consoles, while everybody had a pc (there were other issues too - in the end it was never as popular as in the US)

Forza was great but it was competing with GT which is huge in all Europe.

The 360 had also a lot of great (timed)-exclusives in the early years, which helped internationally. But Bioshock, Mass Effect, Oblivion where former PC titles with huge PC-fan bases in germany - people just bought them for PC. The 360 did okay, because they got the hardcore gamers as it was a great console. It would have done better, if most of the defining tiles had'nt been censored or not released at all.

What if the following games were never released for the 360: Gears 1+2, Condemned, Left for Dead1+2, Crackdown 1+2, Dead Rising 1+2?
Those were the defining titles of the first years. They never were released in germany.

LfD1 was released, but heavily cut, LfD 2 got confiscated.

OF topic, but in Austria, and half of Germany is importing, from some well known online stores, which send it out early too...So they played it.

Fun fact, one site alone was sending a censored game for the Germans out, over 100.000 before release day, they charge 10€ extra on the game, Big profit for companies in Austria.

On topic, ps4 is doing so good because it's not 600€ Same price, or nearly same as Xbox One. And the consumer heard the DRM nightmare from Microsoft. Some still believe it's there.
And the informed know the RAM difference. Plus a lot are just following the herd, and early adopters have chosen Ps4.

KHlover

Banned
what does he even mean with "internet third world"? You get uncapped 100 mbit down for around 30 € / month here. What is NA than? 5th world?

In a big city maybe. Internet in "ländlichen Gebieten" continues to be terrible. Hell, the city I live in has 120k inhabitants and the fastest internet I can get is 12mbit down. Just a few km away the fastest speed available ranges from 2mbit to 4mbit. Looking at Telekom's Breitbandausbau map they have no plans to change that any time soon.

chadskin

In a big city maybe. Internet in "ländlichen Gebieten" continues to be terrible. Hell, the city I live in has 120k inhabitants and the fastest internet I can get is 12mbit down. Just a few km away the fastest speed available ranges from 2mbit to 4mbit. Looking at Telekom's Breitbandausbau map they have no plans to change that any time soon.

QT5AmSa.jpg

Biker19

Banned
I think Microsoft could get better sales if they actually advertised their console in Europe...

Who has seen an advert for Xbox in European media like on TV? It doesn't happen. In marketing terms the console doesn't even exist in Europe.

They basically gave up on that region while focusing hard on the U.S.

Haunted

How long until Microsoft starts treating continental Europe as a lost cause, similar to Japan?

I mean, their analytical departments must see which way the wind is blowing.

Death2494

So, "known" numbers so far.

Germany (March 2015):
PS4 1.6M
XB1 378k

France (December 2014)
PS4 1.1M
XB1 416k

UK
PS4 1M (August 2014)
XB1 1M (Late November 2014)
Combined 3.3M (Late January 2015). I would expect the PS4 LTD to be higher than in Germany, I guess.

Japan (April 2015)
PS4 1.43M
XB1 50k

Spain (Mid-September 2014)
PS4 360k
XB1 ~52k
Combined 700k as of January 2015.

Italy (December 2014, sales projection)
PS4 550k
XB1 150k
No idea how it turned out, I can't find anything more recent than 210k PS4 in June 2014.

Middle East (January 2015)
PS4 1M "soon"
XB1 ?

Australia
PS4 >200k (November 2014)
XB1 ?

Probably missed a couple. Also lost track of the LTDs in the US.

So where are they shipping the 13M?

Welfare

So where are they shipping the 13M?

To 42 countries worldwide.

Just using those numbers (most of which are not up to date) plus up to date NPD data, sold through would be 8.9m.

Only 3 countries are up to March 2015. Germany, US, and Japan. Factor in the other 4 countries that aren't up to date, plus the remaining 35 countries we have little to no data on, numbers start to add up.

Infact, just to add to the "baseline" that I gave, we can add 8 of the original launch countries total sales numbers up to December 2013, which would be 558k. So using completely out of date numbers, the baseline for now is 9.46m.

Can you (and others) see where 13m units are being shipped?

Welfare

2014 13 markets 1.2M

2015 42 markets = > 1.2M flat or down YOY

Massive overshipping to the US would cause sales in the next quarter to be low. Or do you want to say that if MS shipped "just enough" during the holidays, Xbox One shipments would still be flat to the previous fiscal year?

Death2494

To 42 countries worldwide.

Just using those numbers (most of which are not up to date) plus up to date NPD data, sold through would be 8.9m.

Only 3 countries are up to March 2015. Germany, US, and Japan. Factor in the other 4 countries that aren't up to date, plus the remaining 35 countries we have little to no data on, numbers start to add up.

Infact, just to add to the "baseline" that I gave, we can add 8 of the original launch countries total sales numbers up to December 2013, which would be 558k. So using completely out of date numbers, the baseline for now is 9.46m.

Can you (and others) see where 13m units are being shipped?

how much of the 8.9 is America?

Averon

Never understood why MS made the Xbone such an American centric product. It is like they didn't care to give up all of Europe (with the exception of the UK) to the competition. Did they think America and the UK was going to carry them for the entire generation?

Top Bottom