• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Germany Hardware LTD through March 2015: PS4 1.6 million, XBO 378K

At the start of this generation (November '13) the 360 and PS3 was:
36% vs. 22%

If you took the Wii out and just did it a versus:
62% vs 38%

Wait, you're saying for every PS3 owner in Nov 2013 there were almost 2 Xbox 360 owners.... in GERMANY?!???
Judging from my personal experience, I wouldn't believe those numbers, even if they were 100% official.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Wait, you're saying for every PS3 owner in Nov 2013 there were almost 2 Xbox 360 owners.... in GERMANY?!???
Judging from my personal experience, I wouldn't believe those numbers, even if they were 100% official.
Sorry, wrong order. It's the opposite order.

2thepoint

I think Microsoft could get better sales if they actually advertised their console in Europe...

Who has seen an advert for Xbox in European media like on TV? It doesn't happen. In marketing terms the console doesn't even exist in Europe.

Oh it's being advertised alright.

They had an Xbox One ad featuring Halo 5 & Tomb Raider during the Mayweather v Pac fight.

Ireland here.

Scotch

Last gen was an outlier because of Krazy Ken and the 360's 1.5 year head start. It's just back to normal PS2-era sell ratios for European console sales.

MS have undone all the progress they made on the European continent in the last 13 years. Shame really. I loved my Xbox and Xbox 360, but they have totally lost me.

Jay Sosa

Even last gen when (imho obviously) the 360 was the much better console most people bought a PS3 (and then complained it's a piece of shit, at least all of my friends did..)

So to me those numbers are hardly surprising, especially considering the DRM/always online fiasco.

redcrayon

The brand is always a factor. US and UK are typically more brand loyal to Xbox and you can see that sales are somewhat more even there.
It's not true that the UK is typically more brand loyal to xBox, we usually go for whatever is cheap. The 360 situation was more down to it's price and much earlier launch than any kind of brand loyalty, as previously the PS2 wiped the floor with the xbox here. Why so many people switched back to Sony at launch this time around was probably due to price again.

Microsoft has the general reputation of being the ugly OS monopolist in Europe. It's something that will haunt Microsoft forever and in all end consumer fields like consoles or phones outside of the professional business fields.

And the explanation the Sony boss of Germany is giving are third-party marketing-cooperations. Jeah way to go Sony. So exclusive games don't really count anymore. What is important is to keep people thinking that games are exclusive even though they are not.

EGM1966

The brand is always a factor. US and UK are typically more brand loyal to Xbox and you can see that sales are somewhat more even there.
Can you explain why 360 did do well in US and UK then?

After all Xbox brand was weak and Playstation brand huge thanks to PS1 and PS2.

If it was about brand 360 wouldn't have stood a chance.

Clearly other factors such as price, perception of which plays games better, stability of online infrastructure play a part.

Mind you PS4 is on course to be clear winner whic would give Sony three big winners out of four generations and a decent effort with PS3.

Maybe it is all about brand but the mistake is thinking the Xbox brand is the stronger?

Myself I don't think US or UK brand loyalty is that strong with mass market. I believe price and market perception are the two key pillars and PS4 was the clear leader with those.

Jay Sosa

Can you explain why 360 did do well in US and UK then?

Because the PS3 was a terrible, terrible console. They somewhat managed to turn the ship around the last 2 years of it's life cycle but before that the 360 simply was the much better console.

Curufinwe

Because the PS3 was a terrible, terrible console. They somewhat managed to turn the ship around the last 2 years of it's life cycle but before that the 360 simply was the much better console.

At launch is t was very late and very expensive, especially in Europe.

Pretty sure, that the PS3 outsold the 360 in pretty much all countries which aren't the USA or UK since the PS3 slim in 2009.

Jay Sosa

Pretty sure, that the PS3 outsold the 360 in pretty much all countries which aren't the USA or UK since the PS3 slim in 2009.

That just shows you how loyal people are. It would have been even worse if the PS3 would've been on par or better than the 360. If the 360 would have had an as horrible start as the X1 there would be no X1.

At launch is t was very late and very expensive, especially in Europe.

Yep..and still people bought it, simply because they loved the PS1 and 2.

psn

Sliiiightly off-topic but looking at the NSU killings, the PEGIDA movement and burning asylums here in "good old" Germany...well alot of things haven't changed much...

On-Topic: I am a little bit surprised that the XboxOne is selling faster here than the WiiU.

Oh my... Are you on drugs? Serious question.

NSU killings: A small group of neonazis--> 9 victims. Yeah, very comparable to the killings in WW II. Nothing has changed here.

Abandoning thread with the biggest facepalm possible.

dakun

which console is better is quite subjective..

fact is that the PS3 sold better than the 360 at a higher price for the longest time before they equaled them on that front.. People still seem to forget that the 360 had a 1 year lead and sold less year over year worldwide than the PS3 even when it was at its most troubled times.

GeoramA

That's a ridiculous gap for a market as big as Germany.

PS brand being this big is awesome to see, but the competition's pitiful sales are depressing.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Yes, but how do you know if and how many of these are Tier 2 retailers buying Tier 1 stock, if any.

It doesn't matter.

A sale is still a sale.

How many of the US sales for XB1 and PS4 are shipped to other countries straight away? Answer- more than you think.

benny_a

It doesn't matter.

A sale is still a sale.

How many of the US sales for XB1 and PS4 are shipped to other countries straight away? Answer- more than you think.
You seemingly do not understand.

When a sale is only tracked on point of purchase at a retailer that GfK tracks then in the situation that I just described this will not show up for Germany numbers.

AmFreak

which console is better is quite subjective..

fact is that the PS3 sold better than the 360 at a higher price for the longest time before they equaled them on that front..

The time the 360 had a (big) price advantage in Europe was very short.
About half a year after the ps3 launched in Europe Sony introduced the 399€ 40 GB version.
A 360 with a hdd at that time cost 349€ (20GB) or 449€ (120GB).

I think Microsoft could get better sales if they actually advertised their console in Europe...

Who has seen an advert for Xbox in European media like on TV? It doesn't happen. In marketing terms the console doesn't even exist in Europe.

It does happen quite often here in Germany. I've seen X1 billboards as well as TV adverts somehow more frequently than PS4 adverts.

ZhugeEX

Banned
When a sale is only tracked on point of purchase at a retailer that GfK tracks then in the situation that I just described this will not show up for Germany numbers.

Yes I know.

But that's not what you asked. You asked-

how do you know if and how many of these are Tier 2 retailers buying Tier 1 stock?

By saying "how many of these" you're referring to the numbers in the OP correct?

I was answering that question.

Therefore I said that people buying for other countries happens all the time. So it doesn't matter.

Honestly you would think worse if you see the software for XBone in the German charts, but makes more sense if a few of those were sold to tier 2 countries.

Horrible, yet expected really.

If there will be a next Xbox this could easily be fixed. But the Xbone is doomed for sure.

Don't think so. I can only tell from my own friends and people I know, but last gen it was pretty much the same ratio. Didn't know many ppl who had a 360.
"Playstation" is (almost) synonomous with video gaming in German culture. So even if the next Xbox is better than the One and there are no crew ups/prism scandals, I think 1:2 would be the best MS could do. 1:1 would be a pipe dream.

benny_a

Yes I know.

But that's not what you asked.
But that's exactly what I asked.

There is context preceding the one you quote in your post, and I don't think it's necessary for me to now chain quote 6 quotes but if you insist that this needs to be done because I need to correct a misreading on your end then I can do that.

And the explanation the Sony boss of Germany is giving are third-party marketing-cooperations. Jeah way to go Sony. So exclusive games don't really count anymore. What is important is to keep people thinking that games are exclusive even though they are not.
1. He is clueless
2. As long as it works
3. There are so many other reasons
4. A trained monkey could do this job
5. Do you have a link?

Raist

Banned
UK is 3.3m combined as of end of Jan

From where?

Only source I remember is the GAME report in late March and that was "3M combined, ahead of expectations".

edit: nevermind, different sources were confusing. Report says 3.3M and 0.7M for Spain.

1. He is clueless
2. As long as it works
3. There are so many other reasons
4. A trained monkey could do this job
5. Do you have a link?

http://www.boerse-online.de/nachric...ski-Kulturrevolution-mit-der-PS4-1000605388/2

Wir haben mit dem Launch der PS4 eine regelrechte Kulturrevolution eingeleitet. Früher waren wir in Deutschland ein reiner Publisher und haben uns auf unsere eigenen Inhalte konzentriert. Heute fragen wir bei jedem Titel: Was ist das Potenzial des Spiels für die Plattform? Und zwar unabhängig davon, ob es sich um einen Titel von Sony handelt oder um ein Angebot eines Thirdparty-Herstellers. Wenn das Potenzial stimmt, greifen wir an. Wir haben im vergangenen Jahr mehrere Millionen Euro in Marketing-Kooperationen auch für externe Titel investiert. Wir sind inzwischen kein Hardware- und Software-Anbieter mehr, sondern eine Plattform-Managing-Gesellschaft. Das zahlt sich nun aus.

Google-Translate (got no time to translate myself, must go, my people need me)

We have initiated a veritable cultural revolution with the launch of the PS4 . We used to be a pure publisher in Germany and have been concentrating on our own content . Today we ask at each Title : What is the potential of the game for the platform ? And regardless of whether it is a title of Sony or an offer of a third party manufacturer . If the potential is true that we are attacking . We have invested several million euros in the past year in marketing collaborations and external tracks . We are now no more hardware and software vendors , but a platform - Managing Society . This is now paying off .

EGM1966

I know. The member I quoted said it was all about brand. It clearly isn't. That's my point. If it was 360 would have been slaughtered as consider Xbox brand at 360 launch vs PlayStation brand.

And of course this gen you have the PS4 as the simply better console for gaming (by that I mean it's specification design is easier to code and run games on and it can run games "better" than Xbox One for the most part from a technical perspective. Hence this time around with the PS4 running most games somewhat better and launching cheaper majority of buyers in US and UK promptly swung back to PlayStation over Xbox.

Brand is important, but it only goes so far if the product itself has market perception issues and price challenges. As the PS3 proved already and so far this gen the XB1 is proving.

Top Bottom