• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Germany Hardware LTD through March 2015: PS4 1.6 million, XBO 378K

ZhugeEX

Banned
But that's exactly what I asked.

There is context preceding the one you quote in your post, and I don't think it's necessary for me to now chain quote 6 quotes but if you insist that this needs to be done because I need to correct a misreading on your end then I can do that.

Ah sorry, my fault then. I just took the post at face value.

Apologies that I didn't read the quotes from before.

Jay Sosa

I know. The member I quoted said it was all about brand. It clearly isn't. That's my point. If it was 360 would have been slaughtered as consider Xbox brand at 360 launch vs PlayStation brand.

And of course this gen you have the PS4 as the simply better console for gaming (by that I mean it's specification design is easier to code and run games on and it can run games "better" than Xbox One for the most part from a technical perspective. Hence this time around with the PS4 running most games somewhat better and launching cheaper majority of buyers in US and UK promptly swung back to PlayStation over Xbox.

Brand is important, but it only goes so far if the product itself has market perception issues and price challenges. As the PS3 proved already and so far this gen the XB1 is proving.

No doubt. MS completely squandered what little* momentum they had.

*in germany

And the explanation the Sony boss of Germany is giving are third-party marketing-cooperations. Jeah way to go Sony. So exclusive games don't really count anymore. What is important is to keep people thinking that games are exclusive even though they are not.

The interview doesn't really support your original claim. Sounds like a not so subtle PS4 has no game trolling.

http://www.boerse-online.de/nachric...ski-Kulturrevolution-mit-der-PS4-1000605388/2

Google-Translate (got no time to translate myself, must go, my people need me)

Smoothed it out a bit:

With the launch of PS4 our philosophy changed drastically. We used to be a pure publisher, focused on our own products. But now we are asking ourselves: what does the product add to our platform(s)? And we are asking this question regardless of whether it is one of our own productions or one of a third party developer. And we will invest, both time and money, if it feels right. In the past year we have spend a couple of millions of Euros on marketing corporations, including external productions. We are not the hard- and software vendor we used to be. We have transformed into a Platform-Managing-Company. And this is starting to pay off.

Mory Dunz

launch aligned the Xbox is outselling the Wii U I believe.
But on the software charts it doesn't have a presence at all and even the Wii U has some games. That should be really worrying if the FIFAs and CODs aren't charting.

Lucreto

I am not sure if it was already mentioned but aren't the Xbox numbers inflated?

Since it is surrounded by Tier 2 countries wouldn't people from these countries just drive to Germany and France and buy an Xbox in the border towns and they count as German sales.

So...he's basically saying that they're now operating like every other SCE region. I'm not sure why Bedameister thought that comment was controversial.

Not to mention with WWS, I highly doubt business divisions at that level can affect production/publishing of first-party titles anyway.

They simply have to work with whatever Shu/Denny/Rohde pump out.

Rolf NB

If there will be a next Xbox this could easily be fixed. But the Xbone is doomed for sure.
No. Microsoft can't compete with Sony at feature parity now, and there's no reason to expect them to next gen, if that even happens. They don't have the engineering chops, and they don't have the first party workforce.

Whatever budget or launch timeframe they pick, Sony can build the same machine more reliablle and cheaper, or make it faster at the same price point/less subsidies, and there'll be more games for it in either case

People really need to come to terms with the factors that allowed the Xbox 360 to succeed. All of them are gone.
* early launch
* spec disparity (remember when viability of Blu-ray as a medium was a debate topic? Remember "Arcade Models", default wired controllers, "Memory Units", "Wireless Adaptors"?) directly leading to a 200$ sticker price disparity
* "converted" formerly PC exclusive devs (Valve, Bethesda etc) supporting Xbox first due to API familiarity -- all done now, all have switched to multiplatform support by default
* loss of crucial Playstation optimized middleware (Renderware stopped being a thing when EA bought Criterion) on a platform that clearly needed optimized middleware.

The only things Microsoft really can do to gain an edge are
1)launch early
2)Try and pull a Wii and deliberately remove themselves from the spec race, enabling lower price points.

Not to mention with WWS, I highly doubt business divisions at that level can affect production/publishing of first-party titles anyway.

They simply have to work with whatever Shu/Denny/Rohde pump out.

Pretty much. All he seems to be saying is that now Sony Germany will look at third party games and they'll invest in them in terms of marketing as if they were a first party title. This is what the rest of Sony does as well. Look at games like Destiny, Watch_Dogs, Dragon Quest Heroes etc. And you have upcoming games like Persona 5 and Battlefront. They aren't first party, but Sony will support them in terms of marketing as if they were.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Ah sorry, my fault then. I just took the post at face value.

Apologies that I didn't read the quotes from before.
Sorry for the unnecessarily hostile way of phrasing. I was playing Rocket League and soccer makes people violent even in cartoony rocket powered fantasy land.
(Even though I won.)

chadskin

Can't imagine what the XBO number would've been if they hadn't dropped Kinect in the first place and then cut the price by another €100, thus effectively making it €100 cheaper than a PS4. So, wisely, they've become the "value option" now for people who look to get into this gen as cheaply as possible and that's not to underestimate in Germany as Germans tend to be very price-sensitive.

wapplew

The only things Microsoft really can do to gain an edge are
1)launch early
2)Try and pull a Wii and deliberately remove themselves from the spec race, enabling lower price points.

3) Ride on that PC/Windows advantage over other platforms.
Cross play/Cross buy on PC and Xbox. Make port super easy so every Japanese games on PC could port to Xbox with minimal effort, Sony lost Japanese titles exclusive advantage.

4)Minecraft 2

Can't imagine what the XBO number would've been if they hadn't dropped Kinect in the first place and then cut the price by another €100, thus effectively making it €100 cheaper than a PS4. So, wisely, they've become the "value option" now for people who look to get into this gen as cheaply as possible and that's not to underestimate in Germany as Germans tend to be very price-sensitive.

Don't think so. You can get pretty good deals on PS4's too. A co worker of mine got a PS4 + FIFA and a 2nd gamepad for 399€.
The X1 + FIFA bundle was 299€ at that store but hat no 2nd gamepad (59€), so 359 vs 399€.
The price difference isn't big enough to make people buy an X1 over PS4. I think maybe at 100€+ some guys would consider the Xbone.

Sakujou

Banned
How popular was Halo and Forza in germany? Anyone have numbers?
germany is a country full of fifa people.

i know, i am known for being anti-sony, but seriously guys:

x1 is cheaper
games are cheaper
xblg is cheaper

still they wont sell more.

ps is king in germany. whats wrong?
it has been back then during the last era between the two, now its the same.

the real difference is only known to a few selected nerds out there, the average gamer doesnt care.

Welfare

x1 is cheaper
games are cheaper
xblg is cheaper

the real difference is only known to a few selected nerds out there, the average gamer doesnt care.
Playstation is the more popular brand and was cheaper at launch and will continue to have the "better" 3rd party games. Momentum is good.

I would think more people in Europe would care about that one thing in FIFA that is exclusive to the Xbox platform, but I guess not.

x1 is cheaper
games are cheaper
xblg is cheaper

Because Playstation 4 is the better product. It's that easy.

chadskin

Don't think so. You can get pretty good deals on PS4's too. A co worker of mine got a PS4 + FIFA and a 2nd gamepad for 399€.
The X1 + FIFA bundle was 299€ at that store but hat no 2nd gamepad (59€), so 359 vs 399€.
The price difference isn't big enough to make people buy an X1 over PS4. I think maybe at 100€+ some guys would consider the Xbone.

Sure, locally, you might get lucky and can grab a good deal. One MediaMarkt just today sold the XBO, a 2nd controller and Forza 5 for €279, too. If you take the controller out of the equation, you're looking at €220 for the console (or €240, if you buy the controller online :p).

But just going by the Amazon prices which are neither very cheap nor very expensive relative to the market, you can get a XBO + MCC or SSOD for €329 and a PS4 + FIFA15 for €429, that's a €100 difference on equal terms and without any special promotions or local offers. Point being, the XBO is cheaper, whether or not it's cheap enough to sway people into buying an XBO over the PS4 then depends obviously on other, subjective factors.

Duxxy3

You get the system your friends have. For germany, for generations now, that is playstation. The US and UK are the only ones that deviated from that path. I think that is more because Microsoft made an appealing system for those markets, and because those two markets are so price sensitive. That and it had a year lead.

Microsoft failed to continue with the 360's success. It built a $500 America/NSA box with a controller and operating system that is seen as inferior to its predecessor. Sony basically just made a proper sequel to the PS2.

Sony gave the people what they wanted. Microsoft tried to force what they wanted down peoples throats. As much as Microsoft tries to fix the situation, effects from that original design are still there. The console is still huge. The controller is still worse than the 360's. The operating is clunky. And it still has no worldwide appeal.

Sakujou

Banned
Because Playstation 4 is the better product. It's that easy.

after the dual shock problems and the psn being somehow not accessible?

i doubt it. i dont feel, that the ps is the better product.

the one thing, sony does right, is marketing. everyone knows playstation 4, when it comes to gaming.

and when it comes to gaming, i think, maybe iam old-fashioned, but exclusives are quite important... and those type of games still havent showed up. oh and not sony fails here. ms does that too. butt-ass broken gamereleases such as drive club and mcc are embarrassing.

Microsoft failed to continue with the 360's success. It built a $500 America/NSA box with a controller and operating system that is seen as inferior to its predecessor. Sony basically just made a proper sequel to the PS2.

and this is my main problem:
people believe, that ms is the only contender spying on their customers.

after being hacked and 77 million accounts infos were stolen, everyone believes that sony is a trustful company. congratz on that, bro.

and worst thing is, some people still believe to this very day, that games like tekken or final fantasy are sony exclusives.

after the dual shock problems and the psn being somehow not accessible?

i doubt it. i dont feel, that the ps is the better product.

the one thing, sony does right, is marketing. everyone knows playstation 4, when it comes to gaming.

and when it comes to gaming, i think, maybe iam old-fashioned, but exclusives are quite important... and those type of games still havent showed up. oh and not sony fails here. ms does that too. butt-ass broken gamereleases such as drive club and mcc are embarrassing.

after being hacked and 77 million accounts infos were stolen, everyone believes that sony is a trustful company. congratz on that, bro.

just read your post in the other thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=162548173&postcount=4

Sorry for replying to you.

Sure, locally, you might get lucky and can grab a good deal. One MediaMarkt just today sold the XBO, a 2nd controller and Forza 5 for €279, too. If you take the controller out of the equation, you're looking at €220 for the console (or €240, if you buy the controller online :p).

But just going by the Amazon prices which are neither very cheap nor very expensive relative to the market, you can get a XBO + MCC or SSOD for €329 and a PS4 + FIFA15 for €429, that's a €100 difference on equal terms and without any special promotions or local offers. Point being, the XBO is cheaper, whether or not it's cheap enough to sway people into buying an XBO over the PS4 then depends obviously on other, subjective factors.

It's only a real 100€ difference if the games were both FIFA. MCC, F5 or SSOD can't be compared to FIFA in terms of selling power. FIFA is want ppl want and sells systems.
CoD or GTA are 18+ games that are a no-go for younger audiences and their parents.
Best bet for MS IMO would be a dedicated FIFA bundle, but MS already gave FIFA away for free for anybody who got a day one Xbone and that didn't help.

I've got more than 82000 gamescore. Loved Xbox, Loved 360 even more which for me still is one of the best consoles of all time. I do own many consoles (mainstream from NES to PS4) and Xbone is one of few that i don't care at all. Don't want it, don't need it. In my opinion Microsoft fucked up everything they've done right with 360.
If a big fan doesn't care about their new product why someone else should?

People don't "believe" shit, they pay attention to the news.
MS has been exposed by the Snowden leaks as a partner in crime with NSA, while Sony has been hacked against their will by criminals. Big difference.
I have both X1 and PS4 and like X1 a little bit better, I even agree with some of the things you said about the PS4's problems.
But I can totally understand any of my fellow countrymen here in Germany who are a pissed at MS.

oti

Banned
I've got more than 82000 gamescore. Loved Xbox, Loved 360 even more which for me still is one of the best consoles of all time. I do own many consoles (mainstream from NES to PS4) and Xbone is one of few that i don't care at all. Don't want it, don't need it. In my opinion Microsoft fucked up everything they've done right with 360.
If a big fan doesn't care about their new product why someone else should?

Such a shame really. With Xbox 360 everything and everyone was just in sync kinda. Everyone had one, everyone subscribed to XBL, it had the better ports. In short: It was the console to get and the console to play multiplatform and online games on. Then Xbox One happened and poof, everything was gone. Just gone. I would've never ever bought the original XBO with DRM and always-on Kinect and now the Zug is abgefahren as we say, it's PS4 all the way and nothing will change that. Absolutely nothing.

jayu26

just read your post in the other thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=162548173&postcount=4

Sorry for replying to you.
giphy-facebook_s.jpg

kitch9

Banned
Then what's wrong with me? I know nobody with a PS4 but 4 people with an X1.

The problem here in Germany is people basically don't know or care what the Xbox brand really is. Whenever I show someone both consoles they are surprised that the Xbox is actually any good and many even prefer it then. Microsoft needs to push the brand in Europe not the console. No matter what they do with Xbox, even if it was two times as powerful as the ps4, people wouldn't care.

Yes Ps4 owners are all people who prefer the Xbox but don't know it yet.

Wut?

Moonstone

Where are you pulling that from?

In 2013, the PC market had revenue of 531 million, all consoles combined only 862. And there isn't a console that dominates with more than 50%, so obviously PC #1.

This always brought up in Germany sales thread. Here is the thing: PC has been the strongest platform if you compare it to other individual platforms in the last years. The time where PC was bigger than all consoles combined is long gone.

Sony announced mid-last year( I think it was on a SXW panel), that for the first time PS4 was the strongest platform and beat PC.
You can see this also from the revenue chart 2014 from BIU as PS4 has probably 50%+ marketshare.

However, pc titles sell for less (new pc titles 40-45€ , new console games 55-65€). On average it's even more drastic. PC titles sell for ~22€, console titles for ~48€ (from my memory - didn't look it up).

Regarding shelf space (has already been said, though).
There is the hidden object section, a lot of german only adventures and sims, a lot of german only pc collections (adventure pack for instance) and green pepper section (another budget section with a special label).
Those titles may not sell much individually and we don't see them in the charts, but they add up. Charts are only Top 50 or Top 100 - we would need Top 500 to see those PC titles.

Green Pepper for instance (all games are 6,99€ they usually have 50+ titles in the store):
https://www.greenpepper.de/charts/

There is also a another budget section which mostly consists of PC titles, as media markt/saturn usually uses promotions to clear console game stock (besides Softwarepyramide - another budget section that includes pc+console).

Picked up LA Noir complete edition for 10€ yesterday. Pretty much the whole year you get better deals in retail than on steam. And new pc titles sell for 15€ less than on steam.

Regarding games sold and revenue (this is from 2013 and includes retail and digital):
d324b97cca.png
fbddf9a2d0.png

In the category games sold PC should still be the biggest platform (and that's the reason why it gets so much shelf space). Revenue is obviously more important - so PC isn't number 1 anymore.

Top Bottom