• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Getting high

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
What kind of weed are you all smoking? After smoking weed I usually feel awakened/more tired (depends on the strain), have funny thoughts, time feels slow which is great, everything feels so comfortable, especially beds, wandering around with friends is super fun... What you all are describing sounds like torture...

That's pretty much me. It's hard to describe but it kind of clears out my mind of the crap, so I'm less stressed, usually not as depressed, and less anxious about things. I think more creatively and can really enjoy just going out for a walk around the neighborhood (especially at night). It doesn't necessarily make me more tired, although it puts me in a state of mind that's much more conducive to sleep if I want to. I have sleeping problems and nothing helps me sleep better than weed. I mean, ambien can really knock me out, but I feel that has more of an effect of forcing me into a sleep whereas weed "allows" me to go to sleep. And of course, most funny shit is even funnier.

akira28

I am going to see if my friend will eat this cookie.

I can't wait till baker's green is a thing. Like baker's chocolate.

Ashhong

Yeah I've heard it's a bit of a different high. Is it like more of a head high vs a body high or vice versa, that kind of thing?

It's mostly a head high to me. Everything I'm doing just gets taken to another level. Listening to music makes me feel like I'm in space, playing League of Legends makes me feel like I'm in a massive, epic war, and just lying down makes me tingle all over. I don't necessarily get couch locked, but oftentimes I do just sit there doing nothing. By choice though.

thirty

Banned
Odd question but how much is too much? I have a neighbor that smokes atleast once a day but like 3 bowls and she's TINY, where I'm still cool splitting one with the lady. Not as long lasting as my 1st high which was like 4 hours but I can count on a good 2 hours for some binaural beats then a good hour walk. thinking of taking a week or 2 off to see if I can get back up to 4 hours. I'll also say that smoking has totally replaced drinking for me. I used to be a fish but after my first smoke, unless I'm offered or out I have no desire to drink alcohol whatsoever.

Laughlin

I get panic attacks almost every time I smoke a decent amount of weed nowadays. I start to get super paranoid, heavy breathing, and the shakes.

It sucks, because I really used to enjoy the stuff. Now it seems like my brain just associates the smell and taste with the panic, cause I've tried many many times for it to be like it used to be and I've gotten nothing.

akira28

I get panic attacks almost every time I smoke a decent amount of weed nowadays. I start to get super paranoid, heavy breathing, and the shakes.

It sucks, because I really used to enjoy the stuff. Now it seems like my brain just associates the smell and taste with the panic, cause I've tried many many times for it to be like it used to be and I've gotten nothing.

After a years long break, I was the same way. It took some off and on, and smaller doses, but eventually I could enjoy it again without a panic attack 20 minutes in.

Just makes me realize how much of a chimney I was in my youth.

Grinchy

Banned
Finals over, cannabis found. Feels John Goodman.

And I've been in the panic attack boat for a while now. I just take a single puff and typically avoid bongs. I just like a nice buzz, I don't need to forget how to tie my shoes.

Mileena

Banned
Strange how people get panic attacks smoking. Are you toking up in a hotbox area outside or are you inside and just think cops are gonna bust through and fuck you up?

Broseybrose

Strange how people get panic attacks smoking. Are you toking up in a hotbox area outside or are you inside and just think cops are gonna bust through and fuck you up?

It has to do with not being right in the head about smoking and can take years to conquer permanently. But i used to be prone to anxiety anyway back then.

Grinchy

Banned

I smoked for almost 10 years straight and didn't start getting the anxiety from it until towards the end.

Ashhong

My ex was smoking at a small party once, and I guess just smoked too much and had serious panic attacks. I wasn't there, and she was so shaken up the next day. Said she literally felt like she was going to die. Worst experience ever. Not in a small hotbox, or anywhere cops would be.

So sometimes I guess you can just be too high.

Grinchy

Banned
I knew this girl who tried smoking a couple times and said it had no effect on her. I taught her how to properly smoke one night, and the next thing I knew she was staring off into space and giggling every few minutes.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
BtaRe.gif

aznpxdd

I knew this girl who tried smoking a couple times and said it had no effect on her. I taught her how to properly smoke one night, and the next thing I knew she was staring off into space and giggling every few minutes.

Yeah, unless the person already smoke (cigs), its tough for newbs to fully inhale the smoke. They think they are smoking just by having smoke in their mouth...

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah, unless the person already smoke (cigs), its tough for newbs to fully inhale the smoke. They think they are smoking just by having smoke in their mouth...

This is exactly what I did my first time. Took huge rips but didn't inhale any of it. It's always funny to see people claim that it didn't work or that they're somehow immune when they don't get high the first time. Sorry hun', but your body is probably not special, you're just doing it wrong.

This is exactly what I did my first time. Took huge rips but didn't inhale any of it. It's always funny to see people claim that it didn't work or that they're somehow immune when they don't get high the first time. Sorry hun', but your body is probably not special, you're just doing it wrong.

A lot of first timers also do it when they're rip-roaring drunk, so they don't really know if they're high and they think it's not doing anything. They usually fall asleep immediately after.

i-Lo that was a very entertaining first experience with teh pots.

Almost clinical.

I'd actually done whip its years before I started smoking, first on a dare, and later because of the buaws.

Inhaling was easy. Exhaling at a good time and regulating your cough factor was difficult. Back when my lungs were new lots of tar and THC kind of hurt them.

You'll get hit at some other point. And you'll either gain "inspiration" (no guarantee of quality) or get really hungry and then sleepy.

Davey Cakes

Usually I'm with three others and we'll play video games and board games and eat a bunch of junk food. It's good but I was sort of getting used to it.

However, last night I got high with my brother. This time I got to focus more on "chilling" out. We'd smoke outside, talk, then go into the house and I'd watch him play Dr. Mario Online Rx while we listened to ambient music. I think I did more than usual because I really felt like I was in pure euphoria. I almost felt like I was swimming. My brother was playing Dr. Mario with the lights off and I couldn't even focus on the game; I was captivated by the way the TV screen seemed to have a really strong 3D effect and looked like it was floating in the air. Once we got to watching The Big Bang Theory, I was able to focus better. We watched two episodes On Demand, the one from last week he hadn't seen, and the new one neither of us had seen.

And the ambient music was just...lovely. We started with some new Indian album, and then moved to Brian Eno's "Lux."

It was just odd. For the first time in a while I got to focus purely on relaxing and taking in the altered reality. Certainly a refreshing experience.

I will say I'm becoming less and less enthralled by the experience of breathing in smoke. It irritates my throat and the irritation can be distracting. Once I have enough money, I want to go half-and-half with my brother on a high quality vaporizer.

torontoml

Did it for the first time a couple days ago, but I was already on my way to being very intoxicated, afterwords it just seemed to be more intoxicated than usual. Maybe I didn't inhale it enough but it didn't really give me an urge to try it again.

Davey Cakes

Did it for the first time a couple days ago, but I was already on my way to being very intoxicated, afterwords it just seemed to be more intoxicated than usual. Maybe I didn't inhale it enough but it didn't really give me an urge to try it again.
No pressure, but I would say that you should do it again without other forms of intoxication.

I don't know what combination effects are like, but I'd say if you want to know what the high is all about, do just the single drug. You may find out that it's a completely different kind of intoxication.

The difference has become very clear to me over time, and I'm not a heavy drinker nor a heavy smoker.

Good old days. I started smoking cigarettes as a substitute to smoking weed, and it worked but now I'm addicted to cigarettes unfortunately. I get no joy out of the cigs but have found myself addicted. It sucks. I gave up weed easily, gave up drinking (which I used to do excessively) easily, but just can't stop the cigarettes. I want to though and it's been a really long time since I smoked out, but I find myself wanting to recently. I would go out to the beach and marvel at nature, the ebb and flow of the ocean, the sound, the sky, the wind. It was incredibly soothing. I remember once I got so high with a friend at my apartment which was located on the opposite corner of a SafeWay. We decided to go to SafeWay to grab some grub, and I've never felt like I did that day. I felt like I was walking in place as we made our way to the store, like if I was on those aerobic machines where you just walk in place. I swear it took us about 30 minutes to get across the street to the store, or so it seemed, heh. Once inside I tripped the fuck out when I passed through the freezer/refrigerated isle. There were metal cans (sodas) and packaging lined up, and the lights from the refrigerators made everything seem "fake", like an animation. I can't fully explain it but everything just seemed "fake". Good times. Someone hook me up, heh.

Realyn

I do not smoke, drink alcohol and rarely take heavy coffein to me. People who relay on this kind of stuff are very insecure about something in my view. People who deal with heavy machinery while smoking pot are straight out dumb anf possibly pretty much dead soon.

CTE

I do not smoke, drink alcohol and rarely take heavy coffein to me. People who relay on this kind of stuff are very insecure about something in my view. People who deal with heavy machinery while smoking pot are straight out dumb anf possibly pretty much dead soon.

You sound like you have no clue, but believe whatever you want if it gets you through the day.

MMaRsu

Banned

Right so you don't know what you are talking about but are prepared to jump to conclusions in your mind.

You sound like all those straight edge kids I knew in High School that seemed to have a perpetual stick up their ass.

It's a relatively harmless substance, yes it can be abused, but so can any substance.

No one should be operating heavy machinery while on anything you are right that they could possibly injure or kill themselves.

Your spelling and grammar suck btw.

themadhatter444

Neo Member
I'm sorry if this insulted you. Feel free to pn me in Spanish, France or German if you feel like talking. Waiting for it.

Care to explain why I do not know what I'm talking about?

You've never done it before, so you haven't got the slightest clue what you're talking about. This would be like me correcting your Spanish, French, or German grammar even though I don't speak those languages.

Pot doesn't really affect your ability to react quickly or make decisions. In fact, you're much more cautious and aware when you're high. A stoned driver will almost certainly be driving at or below the speed limit while signaling correctly and driving in a straight line. If you're too stoned to drive, you're not going to.

Being high is just like hitting life's HD button. You're still the same person with the same decision making ability, you're just stripped of your ego, more likely to say something stupid, and more likely to not do anything dangerous. When was the last time you heard someone say "Ugh dude I got too high to drive and caused a car accident"? That would have happened to them anyway because of a lack of focus due to texting or whatever.

I used to be like you and I understand your position and assumptions, but don't think you know what you're talking about based on what teachers and media tell you about "drugs" like marijuana. Marijuana prohibition is one of the biggest scams in human history, but you'll never know that until you get comfortable enough to understand the plant properly and responsibly.

Credentials: Successful stoner who gets high and drives home every night after jiu jitsu class. Sick of the world lying about a plant with the ability to better one's self and fundamentally change people for the better (when used properly).

accx

Care to explain why I do not know what I'm talking about?

Because using substances rarely have anything to do with insecurity, and almost always about enjoyment.
Enjoying something does not make you insecure.
Your statement is a fantastic way of insulting practically everyone, and proves your ignorance, which makes it easy to deduct that you have no idea what you are talking about.

Bear

Actually, there is also an element of reverse tolerance involved in THC. It's most likely from the rewiring of the synapses for better access to the THC receptors in your brain. It sounds more dramatic than it really is, your synapses are being reorganized in some way every time you learn something. People who have been smoking for a while develop bodies that are more efficient at processing it.

Obviously you can still build up a tolerance, but that is built up (and lost) in short periods of time. Reverse tolerance is a much longer lasting effect. There is a physiological factor that's there the first couple of times, and human error (like not inhaling) just accumulates over that.

Izayoi

Banned
So for the rest of you, was it similar when you got high for the first time?
The first time I got high I was pretty freaked out, it sounds like your experience was far more pleasant. Next time you try, still do it with a friend (maybe a different one, if this one annoyed you) but just talk about... stuff. Life, the world, the universe, your writing, whatever you want. If it's not too cold, and it's a nice night, just stand outside and look at the stars.

Noticed Amazon sells them for $89, with Prime shipping. Seems like a good deal.
Woooaaahh, looks like I'm going to have to pick one of these up. I'm using a big clunky desktop vaporizer, and it's a pain to set up/tear down. A portable vape is perfect.

People who relay on this kind of stuff are very insecure about something in my view.
Insecure about what? Do you think that people smoke weed only because there is something wrong in their life? I'd argue that my life is pretty much perfect, and I get high on a very regular basis. I do it because it's awesome, it's literally happiness. It makes my already ridiculously good life somehow even better. If you're a responsible adult, and you've got your shit together, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be allowed to enjoy marijuana.

Davey Cakes

The "insecure" thing sounds wrong.

I'm willing to admit that some people drown themselves in drugs and alcohol to block out their depressing lives and to hide from their insecurities. But, people don't, for example, smoke marijuana purely because they're insecure about anything. It's all in good fun and overall enjoyment of life.

Drugs definitely have an escapist effect, but there's never just one reason to use them. There's nothing wrong with escapism either, since everyone has a way to escape the daily grind, whether it's drugs, books, shows, movies, video games, bowling and billiards, online message boards, etc, or any combination of hobbies, interests, and recreational activities.

Also, if you've never tried it, you don't really know. You can always try to reach a conclusion by using some other form of evidence, but nothing beats personal experience.

Davey Cakes

I know this has been asked a few times, but I'm interested in vaping and looking for recommendations.

Just to get an idea of what it's like, I wouldn't mind something cheaper and more portable as long as it gets the job done. On the other page, people brought up the Magic Flight Launch Box. Any specific model that's the best, and any place to get a good deal on the basics?

Izayoi

Banned
I know this has been asked a few times, but I'm interested in vaping and looking for recommendations.

Just to get an idea of what it's like, I wouldn't mind something cheaper and more portable as long as it gets the job done. On the other page, people brought up the Magic Flight Launch Box. Any specific model that's the best, and any place to get a good deal on the basics?
If you don't need a portable one, and are looking merely for the cheapest and most effective option, I use a simple wooden vaporizer that you can get for $35 off of Amazon. I've had it for almost a year now, and it works great. It can take some time to set up and tear down (you've got to let it warm up and then cool off before you put it away), but that's really the only downside. It comes with everything you need.

themadhatter444

Neo Member
I have a Da Buddah and I absolutely love it. Pricey, but worth it. Came with lined hemp bag, free grinder, stickers, other goodies. It sits next to my computer ready for lift off any time. Love that thing.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Charging my MFLB battery right now. Haven't use this thing in a couple months. I used to use it a lot when I was in high school.
I remember hittin it In the bathroom before classes. Shit was fun.

Thing is; with the MFLB you need a little bit of practice to hit it right, so don't go around letting ur friends hit it. Most of the the time, they'll just burn the herb and complain that it doesn't hit good.

Top Bottom