• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima coming to PC May 16th

Fredrik

Decided to abandon going SFF then? On the bright side that will give you a lot more freedom in terms of the cooling options and components though.

I think the Tower 300 looks cool, just because of how unique it is, especially if you lay it on it's side. I also quite like the tower 200.
Yeah this is an absolute unit. I still went with smaller parts except cooler so in theory I can still change my mind if I can’t stand it and want a SFF build later. But, that’s a lot of work.
The Tower 200 was what sold me on their cases, saw a building video and couldn’t get it out of my head. Ended up with the 300 for the angled corners. Definitely bigger than I thought it would be. And it needs special care with choice of parts and color themes, can’t hide anything, would look the coolest with custom water cooling but that’s still rocket science for me, went with an Arctic Liquid Freezer AIO.

Reactions: GHG
Such a good game. Hope you can bring a save over, I’m not keen on grinding all the armor again though.

Hopefully I will have finished HFW by then.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
The meltdown when the sequel get's ported to PC 6-8 mos. later is gonna be epic.

Nixxes porting Sucker Punch's tech to PC almost assuredly precludes the sequel being substantially easier to implement and release on the PC.

It is likely the case. Realistically the PS PC port order is based on studios and not how old the games are.

Sony likely attached Nixxes teams to Guerilla games and Insomniac Games (and now Sucker Punch), Jetpack Interactive to Santa Monica, and Iron Galaxy to Naughty Dog. Through collaboration on their recent existing games, those port studios can pullulate the knowledge and experiences to those Sony studios to prepare their future titles for faster PC release.

So Iron Galaxy is probably continuing their collaboration with Naughty Dog on TLOU2 for PC right now, Jetpack Interactive working on GOW Ragnarok for PC, while the Nixxes team at Insomniac Games is working on Spider-Man 2 & Wolverine for PC.

Fair to assume Nixxes team who is helping on Ghost of Tsushima PC will stay on to Sucker Punch a bit longer to help prime their next PS5 title (GOT2?) for PC.

Fabieter

You can see this happening already when you see Steam hit a record 34 million concurrent users last week, and PC GPU sales going up last year while console sales went down. With missing their target by 3 million users. Who is to say those 3 million users didnt go to PC and were responsible for the PC GPU increase? Everyone here told me that most people wont switch to pc. well, it doesnt take most people. a small 10% drop in sales or missing sales forecast caused their CEO to declare that their business sucks ass, that PS execs dont know what they are doing and that they need to reevaluate their entire business strategy. again, sony sold 22 million units, but because they wanted to sell 25 million, and didnt, it caused that massive stock price drop, and caused them to layoff almost a thousand people. thats it. a 10% drop cut into their profit margins and caused all the commotion. I literally called this.

Sony and MS execs have no one but themselves to blame. Sony has ported pretty much every exclusive to PC in the last few years. i think only gow ragnorak, gt7 and spiderman 2 are left going back all the way to 2017. Thats like 15 exclusives games that have been ported. HZD, Uncharted lost legacy, GOW 2018, Spiderman 1, Detroit, Days Gone, Death Stranding, TLOU2 (Soon), GoT, Sackboy, Returnal, Ratchet, HFW, TLOU1, Miles. Basically 90% of their lineup with Nixxes porting everything in months, they will soon be day one. Sony wont have nixxes waiting around sitting on their asses just to appease Bryank.

The thing is they are such idiots that they saw MS effectively go third party because of these same retarded decisions to put games on PC, and are following in their footsteps.

And once consoles drop further and further, they won't admit that their decisions are to blame. Choosing to compete with Microsoft instead of pursuing Nintendo's approach seems insane.

They already expect a decline next fiscal year, which is also surprising. That has never happened in PlayStation history, and the only reason the PS3 was saved was because of their exclusives.

Their downfall could be historically significant in the next generation.

nemiroff

Gold Member
The meltdown when the sequel get's ported to PC 6-8 mos. later is gonna be epic.

Indeed, but it's even better, because it's not just this game, ~"same day" (depending on logistics) releases will eventually happen to all exclusives no matter the platform.

I just can't wait to finally see the worst-of-the-worst platform warriors being sent off into a puff of obsolescence.

Waiting Patiently GIF by General Hospital

Anyway, didn't mind waiting, but when it gets here, I will buy this game.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It is likely the case. Realistically the PS PC port order is based on studios and not how old the games are.

Sony likely attached Nixxes teams to Guerilla games and Insomniac Games (and now Sucker Punch), Jetpack Interactive to Santa Monica, and Iron Galaxy to Naughty Dog. Through collaboration on their recent existing games, those port studios can pullulate the knowledge and experiences to those Sony studios to prepare their future titles for faster PC release.

So Iron Galaxy is probably continuing their collaboration with Naughty Dog on TLOU2 for PC right now, Jetpack Interactive working on GOW Ragnarok for PC, while the Nixxes team at Insomniac Games is working on Spider-Man 2 & Wolverine for PC.

Fair to assume Nixxes team who is helping on Ghost of Tsushima PC will stay on to Sucker Punch a bit longer to help prime their next PS5 title (GOT2?) for PC.
Seems reasonable.

Sony is almost done porting their games to PC. Not many oldies left... GT7, DS, their annual baseball franchise. Then you get to recent games like LOU Part 2 and GOW Ragnarok.

As soon as these games all get ported in the next year, PC ports will come a lot faster than two years. GAAS games and baseball are already day one so it's not like they are against day one games on other platforms. They just need the right timing. And when you got their gaming division being a more important pillar since they are spinning off most of their financial division, it means gaming will be relied on more for growth. And that means more PC ports, getting PSVR2 up and running on PC. PS5 unit sales forecast already tanked sinking the stock a few weeks ago, so they know relying on status quo PS5 console gaming like how console makers typically do for 40 years isnt going to cut it. And they now got proof of day one PC ports like Helldivers 2 can lead to giant sales compared to waiting to see what a delayed port churns out.

A more surprisingly thing to me is why they dont go after mobile. Their Grand Fate Order game is bigger than all their console games (last time I read it was at $4 billion sales over 6-7 years, yet the company doesn't seem interested in gunning for another mobile game.

Last edited:

DaciaJC

Gold Member
You can see this happening already when you see Steam hit a record 34 million concurrent users last week, and PC GPU sales going up last year while console sales went down. With missing their target by 3 million users. Who is to say those 3 million users didnt go to PC and were responsible for the PC GPU increase?

Yes, indeed, who is to say? Everybody sounds so certain about this supposed exodus of PS to PC, but all they can offer is pure conjecture or anecdotes while proclaiming imminent doom.

Steam is breaking record user numbers again? Maybe they came from, oh, I dunno, China? You know, famously one of Sony's most important console markets. /s

sachos

Valve/Steam are seriously positioning themselves as a potential console competitor if these ports from MS/Sony keep coming. The Steam Deck 2 will be fire at this point with all these games coming, even more if they give a second try to the Steam Machine idea, make it in house with the new SteamOS and ease of use it has serious potential.

DaGwaphics

Crazy that Nixxes worked on this and HFW at the same time. By far the most productive Sony studio.

Ratchet, HFW and GoT in a span of a year. Crazy.

Once everything has been ported, they should just be made a support studio to help Sony studios finish games on time.

Sony might need a studio for ports since their engines aren't as geared to PC out of the box.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Awful.

Losing more and more respect for the PlayStation brand.

What's the point in buying a PlayStation 5?

There is a certain satisfaction in knowing that a game is available only on a certain console - developed with that specific console's unique strengths and capabilities in mind - and will never, ever, ever be ported to a different platform. Ever.

Nintendo is the only one to have its head on straight.

Thanks, Sony, for continuing to devalue the PlayStation brand.

This industry deserves to collapse.

I play far, far superior versions of Switch games on my PC all the time.

So much for “that specific console’s unique strengths and capabilities”.

Zathalus

Awful.

Losing more and more respect for the PlayStation brand.

What's the point in buying a PlayStation 5?

There is a certain satisfaction in knowing that a game is available only on a certain console - developed with that specific console's unique strengths and capabilities in mind - and will never, ever, ever be ported to a different platform. Ever.

Nintendo is the only one to have its head on straight.

Thanks, Sony, for continuing to devalue the PlayStation brand.

This industry deserves to collapse.
I'm curious to know what the "console's unique strengths and capabilities in mind" mean when it comes to this game. Considering this game was actually developed for the PS4 without any consideration of it being ported to PC. That goes for any PlayStation or Xbox console really, none of them have any unique capabilities that cannot be replicated on a PC.

As for why to continue buying a PS5? You get all the exclusive games day one, don't have to worry with the particulars of PC gaming (such as building, upgrading, occasional troubleshooting, changing settings), cheaper upfront hardware costs, access to physical discs, and ease of use for the couch experience.

Dazraell

I had a blast playing this game. Really glad to learn more people will have a chance to play it and experience Jin's journey

yurinka

Nixxes porting Sucker Punch's tech to PC almost assuredly precludes the sequel being substantially easier to implement and release on the PC.

They release the ports of their non-GaaS games 2-10 years after their original PS release not because to port them take a lot of time, but instead because of strategical reasons. They keep an exclusivity margin to the PS versions to make sure they sold basically everything they could on PS before releasing them on PC to make sure they don't negatively affect the PS hardware and 1st party sales.

We saw these PC ports cost them around a couple millions each. This is only barely a handful guys working very little months (with some extra time for the first time they port each game engine) and very little marketing and PR on top.

Nixxes are just 50-60 people and they work apparently in 2-3 ports at the same time, in addition to integrate the pc specific settings and stuff in engines/games that would be ported in the future to ease future ports avoiding to repeat work.

Pretty likely Nixxes had done some of these ports for the most part some time ago, adding now only more recent stuff like DLSS/FSR 3.

Last edited:
They release the ports of their non-GaaS games 2-10 years after their original PS release not because to port them take a lot of time, but instead because of strategical reasons. They keep an exclusivity margin to the PS versions to make sure they sold basically everything they could on PS before releasing them on PC to make sure they don't negatively affect the PS hardware and 1st party sales.

We saw these PC ports cost them around a couple millions each. This is only barely a handful guys working very little months (with some extra time for the first time they port each game engine) and very little marketing and PR on top.
This may have been the case, but there's no indication to think that it's that way now. Especially with the big-wigs talking about PC being a major focus for them moving forward. Unless you have some insight that nobody else does?

yurinka

This may have been the case, but there's no indication to think that it's that way now. Especially with the big-wigs talking about PC being a major focus for them moving forward. Unless you have some insight that nobody else does?
No, there hasn't been any change and the big-wigs never said PC is a major focus.

What Totoki said, as Jim Ryan and Hermen said many times before, is that their PlayStation console is and will continue being their main business and main focus. But since games budgets increase a lot every generation, unproportionally to game revenue, means they need to find additional revenue sources to improve their profitability.

The biggest and fastest growing revenue sources in gaming during the last decade or so have been GaaS and particularly in mobile. So they are expanding their business to also cover that (but not at the expenses of their traditional PS non-GaaS business, they'll continue growing their investment there).

As part of that, several of the GaaS they are making will be released on PC and day one because GaaS need to have a big spike of users at launch, the bigger the better.

Regarading non-GaaS, some of their 1P catalog (not all) gets ported top PC minimum after being sold on PS during a couple years since its original release, in some cases if it's too old refurbishing the game before with some PS5 remaster or remake to don't make it look too old/outdated.

That distance between the original release (not the one of the PS5 port/remaster/remake) is to make sure the game sold all the game copies and consoles it could on PS, and maybe they even included it on PS+ to make sure they don't lose sales on PS before moving the title to PC to get some extra revenue/profit there.

The strategy always has been the same.

Last edited:

Hugare

Crazy that Nixxes worked on this and HFW at the same time. By far the most productive Sony studio.

Ratchet, HFW and GoT in a span of a year. Crazy.

Once everything has been ported, they should just be made a support studio to help Sony studios finish games on time.
They are a Sony studio now, so they probably have access to some tools that helps them.

And PS4 is a lot like a PC internally. It shouldnt be as hard as porting stuff from PS3.

They also the the benefit of only porting to one platform, which certainly helps

Nixxes is awesome, but context is important

No, there hasn't been any change and the big-wigs never said PC is a major focus.

What Totoki said, as Jim Ryan and Hermen said many times before, is that their PlayStation console is and will continue being their main business and main focus. But since games budgets increase a lot every generation, unproportionally to game revenue, means they need to find additional revenue sources to improve their profitability.

The biggest and fastest growing revenue sources in gaming during the last decade or so have been GaaS and particularly in mobile. So they are expanding their business to also cover that (but not at the expenses of their traditional PS non-GaaS business, they'll continue growing their investment there).

As part of that, several of the GaaS they are making will be released on PC and day one because GaaS need to have a big spike of users at launch, the bigger the better.

Regarading non-GaaS, some of their 1P catalog (not all) gets ported top PC minimum after being sold on PS during a couple years since its original release, in some cases if it's too old refurbishing the game before with some PS5 remaster or remake to don't make it look too old/outdated.

That distance between the original release (not the one of the PS5 port/remaster/remake) is to make sure the game sold all the game copies and consoles it could on PS, and maybe they even included it on PS+ to make sure they don't lose sales on PS before moving the title to PC to get some extra revenue/profit there.

The strategy always has been the same.
I think this is a lot of copium to be honest. You say mobile is the fastest growing revenue, but we aren't seeing that from Sony, so in lieu of that happening, which is very unlikely in any real manner, GAAS and PC gaming are the only avenues of growth for Sony at this point. And seeing as they've not really had much success in the GAAS as of late, HellDivers 2 being their first example of it working ok; cancelling TLOU's GAAS game and bringing PSVR to PC, they really are only left with PC as the next potential revenue stream. You can try and resist but.....

star trek borg GIF

Last edited:
Hopefully once they get the big sellers out of the way they'll go deeper on their catalog. I wanna see The Last Guardian and Shadow of the Colossus ported.

Hopefully once they get the big sellers out of the way they'll go deeper on their catalog. I wanna see The Last Guardian and Shadow of the Colossus ported.
The Last Guardian especially. Hell, I'd buy a Team Ico collection with Ico, TLG and SotC for a fair price. Incredible games held back or forgotten on their respective hardware.

Understand Captain America GIF

Last edited:

ArtHands

Nixxes are just 50-60 people and they work apparently in 2-3 ports at the same time.

Sony just experienced a massive layoff, and have nothing major for the console this year. They do not have much luxury to take that strategy considering the development time and cost will continue to increase exponentially, while the install base of PS5 isn’t growing at the same exponential rate over the PS4. They need an audience pool of probably 100 to 300 million players right now to buy their PS5 games. Not 50 million

yurinka

Sony just experienced a massive layoff, and have nothing major for the console this year.
This "PS haz no gamez" is ridiculous, stupid and dumb.

For this year they have TLOU2R, Helldivers 2, Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade, MLB, Destiny 2 Final Shape, Until Dawn remake, Convallaria, Lost Soul Aside and Concord, the new game from the makers of Halo and Destiny. Plus 3rd party exclusives like Granblue or FFVII Rebirth etc. Plus more 1st and 3rd party stuff they may announce later. Plus a gazillion top multiplatform games like every year.

They do not have much luxury to take that strategy considering the development time and cost will continue to increase exponentially, while the install base of PS5 isn’t growing at the same exponential rate over the PS4.
PS5 is growing like PS4. Launch aligned is only 2.7M units behind. And this is considering PS5 had shipment shortages.

They need an audience pool of probably 100 to 300 million players right now to buy their PS5 games. Not 50 million
They are perfectly fine with the userbase they have and how their company and console are growing and performing, better than ever. They are being super successful growing in the movies & tv shows area, and in the PC gaming market too, where they are making hundreds of millions per year with a huge yearly growth. They are also growing in VR, subscriptions and cloud. And are working to highly grow in mobile soon too. They also are being very successful expanding in the GaaS side thanks to MLB, GT7, Destiny 2 or Helldivers 2.

Yes, they needed to find new revenue sources to make sure the huge budgets aren't thaat risky, and they are very successful achieving that growing in different areas they have been growing. In addition to getting record revenue from hardware, software, accesories and game sub in their consoles, plus record engagement/active userbase and average money spent per user.

Last edited:

ArtHands

This "PS haz no gamez" is ridiculous, stupid and dumb.

For this year they have TLOU2R, Helldivers 2, Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade, MLB, Destiny 2 Final Shape, Until Dawn remake, Convallaria, Lost Soul Aside and Concord, the new game from the makers of Halo and Destiny. Plus 3rd party exclusives like Granblue or FFVII Rebirth etc. Plus more 1st and 3rd party stuff they may announce later. Plus a gazillion top multiplatform games like every year.

PS5 is growing like PS4. Launch aligned is only 2.7M units behind. And this is considering PS5 had shipment shortages.

They are perfectly fine with the userbase they have and how their company and console are growing and performing, better than ever. They are being super successful growing in the movies & tv shows area, and in the PC gaming market too, where they are making hundreds of millions per year with a huge yearly growth. They are also growing in VR, subscriptions and cloud. And are working to highly grow in mobile soon too. They also are being very successful expanding in the GaaS side thanks to MLB, GT7, Destiny 2 or Helldivers 2.

Yes, they needed to find new revenue sources to make sure the huge budgets aren't thaat risky, and they are very successful achieving that growing in different areas they have been growing. In addition to getting record revenue from hardware, software, accesories and game sub in their consoles, plus record engagement/active userbase and average money spent per user.

No offense, but it sees you're pretty unreasonable, considering you're bringing in 3rd party games into the context of 1st party titles. If you're still think its all fine and dandy for PS5 to grow at almost the same rate as PS4 in this climate and that they are growing in VR among other things, I am not going to waste my time explaining anything here.

I'll sit back and continue to enjoy the show.

Hudo

Man, this seems like a really touchy subject for some. You should be playing games, not platforms. Sony won't give you a blowjob because you're "loyal" to Playstation.

yurinka

No offense, but it sees you're pretty unreasonable, considering you're bringing in 3rd party games into the context of 1st party titles.
3rd party sales are the big majority of their console's game sales, the biggest SIE revenue source. 3rd party games also always are the big majority of the game selling games of each year on their console.

The important 3rd party games, specially the exclusive ones or the ones with a marketing deal with Sony, are taking into account to their marketing and releases roadmap.

Meaning, if in a month they have the release of let's say FIFA, CoD, some big Capcom or Ubisoft big seller with marketing deal, some Square exclusive or something like that, they know they have that month more than covered.

As platform holder 3rd parties are the most important business for them and the biggest and most important part of their catalog for both them and their customers.

So they obviously are releveantly considered and counted for their catalog and for their 1st party roadmap. It wouldn't be "unreasonable" to act as if they didn't exist or count, it would be a gaming flatearther retarded idea.

If you're still think its all fine and dandy for PS5 to grow at almost the same rate as PS4 in this climate and that they are growing in VR among other things, I am not going to waste my time explaining anything here.
I don't think it's "all fine and dandy" that is growing at almost the same rate as PS4: it's a fact, it's just a few millions under it. Even if they got the issues of component not being available, causing them being supply constrained for a while, and later seeing the prices of the component prices increase forcing them to even raise the price of the console instead of decreasing it with a permanent price cut.

And like every other console in gaming history, around this or last year its yearly hardware sales will have peaked so future yearly sales will decrease as always happens in the second half of the lifetime of a console. Yearly software revenue instead normally peaks around a year or two later, with the exception of some rare case like PS4 where the peak comes even later.

Regarding VR, they said that don't expect VR go mainstream this generation, because obviously it's a tech on its early adopter years and will slowly grow over time. They said their goal was to outsell PSVR1. And so far, what we know is that on its launch window PSVR2 did outsell PSVR1 launch aligned, and that as of Black Friday and Christmas season they were happy with its performance.

But yes, you are free to ignore the facts from reality and believe in fairytales instead.

yurinka

Seems reasonable.

Sony is almost done porting their games to PC. Not many oldies left... GT7, DS, their annual baseball franchise. Then you get to recent games like LOU Part 2 and GOW Ragnarok.
This year Sony will release games originally released in 2020 (GoT and pretty likely TLOU2) and 2015 (Until Dawn). TLOU1 was also released with a 10 years difference between its original PS release and the PC one. Assuming Demon's Souls gets released on PC next year, there would be a 16 years difference.

There is a gazillion old Sony games they can refurbish to re-release keeping them fresh for new PS5 audiences and don't make them look so old when porting them to PC. And in several cases also to use them to crosspromote movie/tv show adaptation or a new sequel of the IP.

Regarding MLB, it's already available on rival consoles. So I assume that some day they may release it day one on PC too, something Sony plans to do with some of their other GaaS titles.

As soon as these games all get ported in the next year, PC ports will come a lot faster than two years.

GAAS games and baseball are already day one so it's not like they are against day one games on other platforms. They just need the right timing. And when you got their gaming division being a more important pillar since they are spinning off most of their financial division, it means gaming will be relied on more for growth. And that means more PC ports, getting PSVR2 up and running on PC. PS5 unit sales forecast already tanked sinking the stock a few weeks ago, so they know relying on status quo PS5 console gaming like how console makers typically do for 40 years isnt going to cut it. And they now got proof of day one PC ports like Helldivers 2 can lead to giant sales compared to waiting to see what a delayed port churns out.
It's clearly all going in one direction, just a matter of time really
I think they will continue keeping a distance of at least a couple years from its original PS release and the PC port with the exception of some (most) of their future GaaS, which would be released day one on PC.

To get too close to PS release or even day one could kill their PS business and gaming division, so there wouldn't be more games to port. PS is their main business by far that generates over $20B/year, PC for them is just a secondary way to get some extra revenue and profits (some hundreds of millions per year). They won't kill or risk PS for the PC market.

Even the lowest performer PC ports like Sackboy and Rift Apart got profitable, and ports are very cheap (barely around a couple millions), so require a very low risk. So they'll keep porting old games, remastering or remaking them if needed to don't make them look too old. They have been pumping hundreds of millions per year, with a huge yearly growth.

But they also know that by far their most important business is console, so they have to keep exclusive material there, at least for a certain period of time, to don't negatively affect its business. So they'll keep a fair distance between PS and PC outside GaaS and maybe some remake/remaster.

Destiny 2 and Helldivers 2 are very successful in PC, and they mentioned that know that it's key for GaaS to achieve the highest userbase possible at launch, which is true, so regarding GaaS they'll go mostly for day one on PC release.

Their emulation team was working in more emulators, which maybe means they may also release (oficial/legal) PS1, PS2, PSP classics on PC.

A more surprisingly thing to me is why they dont go after mobile. Their Grand Fate Order game is bigger than all their console games (last time I read it was at $4 billion sales over 6-7 years, yet the company doesn't seem interested in gunning for another mobile game.
They have been working on their expansion to mobile too during some years, even if results still aren't visible.

They created a PlayStation Mobile subsidiary with execs from top mobile gaming companies, acquired Savage (now rebranded to Neon Koi) which is a studio with veterans from market leading European mobile gaming studios, Wargaming and Rockstar.

They signed deals with several market leading Asian devs from China, Korea and Japan to help them bring their Sony IPs to mobile and also make new dedicated ones.

They also plan to acquire more mobile game studios or create new mobile gaming teams, and also to partner with external small buotique mobile gaming teams.

In 2013 mentioned that in the long term they planned to bring PS cloud gaming to smartphones, tablets and smart tvs. In 2019 they mentioned that plan to do it this generation. In recent years we saw many related Sony patents. Recently we also saw in the leaked Insomniac docs that they are working on it, also considering mobile specific additional value they could add to PS Plus to make it more appealing to mobile users.

They have ambitious plans for mobile, but they take time and also have been investing a lot to grow in console (their top focus and business), PC, GaaS and movies/tv shows. So I assume they are waiting to see better the results of that growth in console, PC and movies/tv shows and get the moneys from there before they start to deliver in a second stage their growth in mobile, a bigger, more different and more challenging market.

Also, their emulation team was also working in more emulators, pretty likely somewhere in the future we may also see (oficial / legal) PS1, PS2, PSP classics emulated games on mobile natively, outside cloud gaming.

Last edited:
Top Bottom